My phone doesn't update the time when I fly to a new time zone. The date/time source is set to network and the network time is correct but the phone time is not updated. I have called cingular tech support and they gave me a new phone but it did not fix the problem. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Todd
    05-06-07 01:00 AM
    In date & time settings try setting it to BlackBerry.

Ps: Welcome to CrackBerry.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-06-07 03:14 AM
    I changed to blackberry and it still does not update the time. Any other ideas?

Thanks
    Todd
    05-06-07 12:08 PM
    Yes... Unfortunately, the BB will not work like that, and you'll have to manually change the time zone everytime you go to a new one. In my opinion, that is one of the biggest downfalls of the device.
    05-06-07 12:56 PM
    I completely agree. A real issue here if anyone from RIM is reading this. I was suprised and disappointed when I saw this was the case!

Yes... Unfortunately, the BB will not work like that, and you'll have to manually change the time zone everytime you go to a new one. In my opinion, that is one of the biggest downfalls of the device.
    05-06-07 05:23 PM
    Actually, there's a good reason..... when the timezone changes, so does all the times in your calendar. I don't know about you, but when I look at my calendar, I expect to see the times in my 'home' time zone. Home for me is Central TZ.

The first time I traveled to CA with my new BB, I changed the TZ. Soon after, I needed to schedule a 4PM meeting at home with my staff for the next week. Soon after I updated my calendar I got a call ..... one of my staff was telling me they couildn't make a 6PM meeting. It took my a while to figure out what had happened.

So.... it's a tradeoff. Personally, I'm fine with TZ staying set.
    05-06-07 08:46 PM
    I completely agree wit you seifrij. I happen to also be in the CTZ and do expect to see me calendar entries in the time I orignally scheduled them for.

Wouldn't it be nice to have it all :-). I know, not a reality

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-06-07 09:19 PM
    Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

Todd
    05-07-07 02:33 PM
    No problem Todd, sorry we didn't have the answer you were looking for though. I sure wish we did
    05-07-07 04:27 PM
    A pleasure, Todd
    05-07-07 10:24 PM
    I was looking for this answer to this when I came accross the blog. Then I found the answer and thought I would share!
    When you make a meeting request for a different time zone, you must set it wthin the meeting itself. there is a place for TZ that you can modify there!
    11-13-07 09:12 PM
    11-13-07 09:22 PM
    The BlackBerryFAQ.com url does not work for me. Does anyone know if this information has been moved to a different site?
    03-16-08 11:18 AM
    03-16-08 05:10 PM
    Verizon's software upgrade dated 2/26/08 for my Pearl, supposedly corrected this issue. Since the upgrade my phone did change for Daylights Savings time, but I haven't traveled out of my time zone yet.
    03-16-08 05:42 PM
    I have the latest software upgrade and it doesn't automatically update. I traveled to a different time zone and my phone did nothing.

I believe this is by design by RIM
    03-16-08 05:52 PM
    I understand the concern here, but I've always seen the BB to be more like a computer rather than a phone. When I consider this, my laptop clock has to be manually changed as well. As for setting appointments when you're out of your time zone. You have to set the time zone while you're adding the appointment. It should be fine if you do it this way. It worked fine for me fine for me last month when I drove from CA to FL.
    03-16-08 06:30 PM
    Add me to those who know that the lack of time zone updating is total idiocy.
    I travel for a living, but I don't do meetings, etc. My 5-year-old flip phone knew how to do this, and my gmail account does this, so my emails won't be messed up by it.
    I did research the phone quite a bit before getting it, but since this is a simple function I've always had, I missed it, but I still would have picked the same phone, so research is not the problem. It's just a STUPID ANNOYANCE, and blackberry should fix it ASAP! With all the programming that goes into these phones, to not have this as an option is beyond ridiculous.
    05-31-09 02:09 PM
    I coded this app the other week for exactly this problem.

TimeZone for BlackBerry

if anyone uses it, let me know. I think it will only work on OS 4.6+ (I have a bold), so I'm not sure if this will help you guys.

I'll see about downloading a simulator for the 8100, and if there is interest i'll code it to work with that..
    Last edited by footose; 06-01-09 at 09:52 AM.
    06-01-09 09:28 AM
    I travelled from ET to CT and just returned. But now that I'm back, the appointments I make all show up 1 hr off. I made sure the appt details correctly show ET, but on the day view, they show up an hour earlier. Its like my BB still thinks its still in CT zone. Help! How to I fix?

Struggling with Palm--->BB conversion and not liking it ...
    01-14-10 09:40 AM
    Add me to those who know that the lack of time zone updating is total idiocy.
    I travel for a living, but I don't do meetings, etc. My 5-year-old flip phone knew how to do this, and my gmail account does this, so my emails won't be messed up by it.
    I did research the phone quite a bit before getting it, but since this is a simple function I've always had, I missed it, but I still would have picked the same phone, so research is not the problem. It's just a STUPID ANNOYANCE, and blackberry should fix it ASAP! With all the programming that goes into these phones, to not have this as an option is beyond ridiculous.
    It is absolutely unacceptable that the latest brand new Blackberry is unable to update time zones automatically. Blackberry explanation about calendar distortion is simply unacceptable, most phones in the market also have calendar applications and are able to update Time Zones automatically. On top of that, Email Images are not automatically downloaded neither.

What also bothers me is that the 9700 comes with the option to update time zone automatically and to download images automatically, and even when you checked it's simply doesn't do it. It's misleading!
    01-16-10 07:46 AM
    I travelled from ET to CT and just returned. But now that I'm back, the appointments I make all show up 1 hr off. I made sure the appt details correctly show ET, but on the day view, they show up an hour earlier. Its like my BB still thinks its still in CT zone. Help! How to I fix?

Struggling with Palm--->BB conversion and not liking it ...
    Did you set your device Time Zone to CT while you were in Central Time? If so, you need to set it back to ET. The Time Zone doesn't automatically change, for the reasons given in the Time Zone Issues thread that's linked in my sig. RIM is trying to change that in OS 5.0, but from reading acrpr and others they haven't been completely successful so far.
    01-16-10 08:22 AM
    hi i recently got the blackberry curve 8330. i had the same problem with my home time being different than the network time, so i came hear to find the answer. THE ANSWER IS THAT YES YOU SET TIME AND DATE THRU THE SET-UP WIZARD. YOU YOUR TIME ZONE. SET PHONE TO BE AUTO UP DATED. ONCE YOU SET THOSE OPTION YOUR TIME IS STILL GOING TO BE WRONG UNTIL YOU PUT YOUR PHONE ON THE CHARGER AND YOUR SCREEN IS IN THE CHARGE MODE WHERE THE TIME AND DATE APPEARS. HIT THE MENU KEY. GO TO SET TIME AND THERE YOU WILL SEE THE DEVICE TIME, TIME ZONE SETTING AND NETWORK TIME. SET IT THERE AND SAVE. GO BACK IN TO THE SAME CHARGE MODE AND HIT MENU AND CLICK ON OPTIONS IT SHOULD TAKE YOU TO CLOCK OPTIONS SET YOUR TIME ZONE THERE GO DOWN THE LIST OF OPTIONS AND SAVE. THAT'S HOW I FIX MY PROBLEM. ****THEY DONT TELL THAT YOU HAVE TO ADJUST THAT PROBLEM FROM THE CHARGE MODE SCREEN THE ONE THAT COMES UP WHEN YOU PLUG YOUR CHARGER IN.****** THEY DON'T TELL YOU THAT YOU HAVE TO ADJUST THE TIME IN SO MANY PLACES. I HOPE I EXPLAINED IT CORRECTLY.
    01-27-10 12:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD