Hello,

8100 pearl.

The pins inside my Mini USB port have bent/broken and as a result my phone will not charge or connect.

i have no carrier that will replace my phone and no warranty scheme.

QUESTION: Has anyone successfully replaced/repaired their mini USB port?

Cheers
    09-08-08 04:06 AM
    I went to BlackBerry Repair Shop - A full line of RIM BlackBerry repair services and BlackBerry parts for all BlackBerry handheld devices and they gave me good service.

You can try this yourself but you need to be able to solder surface mount devices.

A replacement USB port may be had from Cellular Accessories - Motorola, 3G, SonyEricsson, LG, Panasonic, Accessories Store, Samsung, Mobiado,
    09-08-08 04:16 AM
    Nice link - trouble is i am based in New Delhi.

I will probably have to get it repaired on the street, India can be brilliant for this but its a little hit and miss.
    09-08-08 04:34 AM
    I'm in Europe and the shipping cost more than the repair.

New Dehli should be good though, as you say, maybe a bit hit and miss but if you are careful in your selection of a repairshop AND you have the right part (get 2 or three from cnn.cn) then there is no reason why a decent repair cannot be effected.

Have a look on Youtube as this vid shows an 8100 take apart.

Good luck.
    09-08-08 04:44 AM
    ok - thanks for your help
    09-08-08 04:51 AM
    UPDATE
    + new problem

I got my USB repaired on the streets of Delhi.

I can now charge from a laptop USB cable.
    I cannot connect to my desktop manager.
    I cannot charge from a wall socket.

It seems strange that i can only charge from my laptop.
    Ive had a good look through the forums but i cant find anything useful on this.

Any ideas?

09-11-08 08:39 AM
    it's possible you have a different usb port than before, i've noticed that if I grab the charger for my gps(which has a usb port also) it will not work the pins are configured differently.
    hope that helps
    clive
    09-11-08 12:54 PM
    The USB port on the BlackBerry is a 5 pin type. It is possible that your 'new' port has only 4 pins. Look carefully at the gold contacts and count them. 4 or 5?

If it still fails to charge, buy one of these https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=oSO7-7-H you can easily find them on ebay. The trick here is to charge via the two gold contacts on the back of the phone. Whatever you do don;t buy a cradle with a USB to phone port cable attached.
    09-11-08 01:09 PM
    I have 5 pins so it may be as fisherclive suggests.

I will definitely opt for the desktop charger - cheers pete6.

As for syncing to the DM - can i use a BlueTooth dongle?
    From the forum it looks as if just getting the laptop to recognise the phone is a tough process.
    Picking up my dongle this afternoon - i will update later.
    09-12-08 03:20 AM
    OK

I have managed to get my 8100 to communicate with my laptop.

However - The desktop Manager will not recognise my 8100 (i have enabled bluetooth) and the blackberry refuses to allow/support any services but the headset service?

My desired services are not supported;
    - File transfer
    - Audio gateway
    - Backup of contact information

All the services proviuded in the BT software are set to automatic startup.

could this be an 8100 firewall issue?

thanks
    09-22-08 05:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD