If you just recently purchased a Red Pearl from Cingular/AT&T and had the following issue, I might be able to help. Try these fixes before you take the phone back to the store. Please note, this is a known issue by Cingular/AT&T and RIM, (links to follow) so don't let the store people brush you off or act like you are the first person to have this issue. For the record, the rep at my local store was extremely helpful in getting this issue resolved for me, so I have nothing but good things to say about the help they offered.

When I installed the Desktop Manager on my laptop, I followed the instructions in the Quick Start guide, and linked the phone. After the first update, when the phone rebooted the browser icons were gone. I tried several things at the suggestion of many on this forum (Thank You!) and the store rep. Nothing seemed to help. I was given a new phone at the store, we verified before I left that everything was working fine. As soon as I got home and linked back up, I was right back to square one.

If you are in the same boat as I am, here is what I was able to do to fix the issue:

1. Do a complete backup from within Desktop Manager. Disconnect your Pearl from your computer.
    2. Completely uninstall/remove the Desktop Manager from your computer. You will have to use the Add/Remove software utility if you have Windows.
    3. Go to the Cingular site and click on the Support link, Phone/Device Support, Blackberry Software downloads. Or click here to go to the Cingular download site. Be sure to click the "Red Pearl 8100c" software, not the "Main Slate". (Although that software should work just fine, it is a slightly different version)
    4. Download the latest version. As of today's date, it is:
    Software For BlackBerry Pearl (Red 8100c)

BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.2.0.89 (Multilanguage)

Package Version: 4.2.0.89
    Consisting of:
    Applications: 4.2.0.73
    Software Platform: 2.2.0.41
    File name: 8100M_PBr4.2.0_rel89_PL2.2.0.41_A4.2.0.73_Cingular .exe
    File size: 68.02MB

5. Install on your computer, follow the instructions given by the setup wizard.
    6. Start the Desktop Manager, connect your Pearl, follow the prompts.
    7. Upon completion of the software update, your Pearl should shut down and reset automatically. You will see the hourglass spin for up to 5-10 minutes while it processes the upgrade/reinstall.
    8. Once your phone resets and you get the main screen back, finish the install by doing a hard reset. You may know this better as the famous "battery pull". Take the battery out of your phone, leave it off for 30-60 seconds, reinstall the battery and wait for it to boot up.

This should reset everything back to normal.

The first time I did this, I thought it didn't work, because nothing came back. After several long minutes of "what next?" with my sales rep, he finally asked "Okay, did you remember to pull the battery?" After I got done slapping my forehead, the phone came back just fine, and my browsers were there and everything works great.

Here are two sites that you may find helpful. One is the Cingular Customer Forum that had a thread with fellow customers with the same issue, and the other is the RIM/Blackberry Tech Support document that outlines the fix.

I hope this is helpful to anyone trying to get their browsers back.

The RIM/Blackberry Tech Support Doc

The Cingular Customer Forum Thread
    04-20-07 06:50 PM
    Thanks for that info!
    04-21-07 04:11 AM
    Oh yes. That worked. I work for AT&T. Our customer service had no Idea. I emailed them detailed info. Thanks to you guys we will be able to provide better svc.
    04-21-07 06:31 PM
    Glad to know it helped.
    04-22-07 09:38 PM
    Wish I had seen this sooner. I almost returned my mother's day gift last week for this reason. Five techs, no help. I found this info on the Cingular forum and fixed my problem. After reinstalling the desk top manager from the CD, I lost the globes again. I downloaded an upgrade from blackberry and reinstalled the program from Cingular.Now everything is good. Don't forget to pull out battery. I had to leave it out for 15 minutes. Also reregister with wireless network. Thanks again.
    05-16-07 04:03 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.com, dgy2k1.

Am happy that you found the answer...
    05-16-07 08:32 PM
    I did a really stupid thing and deleted some "stuff" on my Pearl - thinking that deleting Spanish support and Korean symbols support and a few other things would perhaps free up some space on my device.... well, apparently, I got a bit too overzealous with the "delete" key - and now my browsers are gone, and my crackberry and YahooGo keys don't work - "Module 'net_rim_ecmascript' not found"

Before I do this, here's my dilemma - I also have an 8800 which is working fine, and I use the same Desktop manager for it..... if I delete the desktop manager and reinstall it to get my Pearl working, will it mess up my 8800???

Edited to add:
    I did a battery pull, and upon startup, I get:
    Uncaught exception: ApplicationRegistry.waitFor(Oxac3ae76427d17f19) timeout
    Last edited by DubyaEl; 08-29-07 at 01:54 PM. Reason: additional info
    08-29-07 01:07 PM
    LaTuFu - It worked!!!! Thanks SO MUCH!!!!! I followed your instructions to the letter, and it worked just great!!!!

WL
    08-29-07 06:26 PM
    This same thing happend to me and I followed the instructions to the letter. It worked, but the desktop manager is nowhere to be found. I did a search and couldn't find it. I know this sounds crazy. I don't want to reinstall from the CD b/c apparently that software had issues. I know this is an old thread, but any help would be most appreciated. I when to the website to reinstall the Desktop manager, but there were several to choose from, wasn't sure which one would be best

Thanks
    Beth
    09-21-07 01:21 PM
    You can also load a newer OS from another carrier to reslove this issue!
    09-21-07 05:14 PM
    First, let me start by saying I don't even know if I am using this site correctly because I am not very good at this. However, I need help and I think I am at least posting to something! I have had a Pearl for about 3 weeks now. Everything was going okay...I needed access to AOL instant messenger. I called technical and they had me go through MediaNet, Mobile IM, and then download OZ Mail something or other. Then on the main screen I had the two-little-people icon; pressed that and I had my choices and everything was fine...got on AOL, Yahoo IM -- beautiful. Now when I hit the little people today I received this message "Uncaught exception 0>=0" I called technical and was on the phone FOREVER and no one can help me. They had me delete the application restart, bla bla bla and nothing. They want to erase everything and start over. The only thing I did recently was a sync with Outlook. I have no idea what to do now. Can anyone help this middle-aged mom?? Thanks very much!
    09-27-07 07:44 PM
    Without going into too much detail here, since this is 'stepping away' from the original post, slightly. I say just get JiveTalk! Plus OZ uses text messages rather than your data package...

Edit 28th Sep: Peachy1, please do NOT double post! I've deleted your other post / thread...
    Last edited by anon(153966); 09-28-07 at 04:25 AM. Reason: ...added note about double posting.
    09-27-07 08:30 PM
    just wanted to say a HUGE thank you for posting this thread!

i just got my pearl on monday & by monday eve, i was already having trouble with the ringtones & media files. well i did everything that this post said to do & it worked. im back to square one now. which is fine because i didnt have that much on the pearl yet anyway.

the first things i dl'd for my pearl were the colorpearl & opera mini... now im not saying those apps caused the problems i was having but once i cleared them & then followed this post, i was good again. someone else on crackberry said that maybe the colorpearl is the culprit... i dont know! i plan to dl them both again to see if that was the problem.

ANYWAY, thank you SO much for this post! worked perfectly.
    10-02-07 04:39 PM
    I had this problem WITH this version(latest) of the firmware, so how would i go about reinstalling it? This directions above didn't work Any help is Apperciated!
    02-23-08 08:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD