Is there a program I can download that will allow me to view .pdf files that are emailed to me? Preferably a free program, but I am willing to pay.

Thanks
    06-28-07 09:05 AM
    BeamBerry, will do it...
    07-08-07 04:28 AM
    Thanks for the info!
    07-08-07 07:23 AM
    Yeah, this sw works pretty well - thanks
    07-12-07 11:34 AM
    Everytime I've tried to view a pdf or txt file, I get a half black half white screen. I have no idea why this is happening.

I installed Beamberry but for whatever reason, everytime I click on the icon (after rebooting) nothing happens.

The gods just don't want me to be able to view pdf's. Can anyone help me with my pdf viewing or Beamberry installation issues?

Thanks a ton.
    08-08-07 07:05 AM
    Everytime I've tried to view a pdf or txt file, I get a half black half white screen. I have no idea why this is happening.

I installed Beamberry but for whatever reason, everytime I click on the icon (after rebooting) nothing happens.

The gods just don't want me to be able to view pdf's. Can anyone help me with my pdf viewing or Beamberry installation issues?

Thanks a ton.
    You shouldn't need anything special with the 8830. I'm able to view PDF's with no problem and haven't installed any 3rd party programs at all.

To the OP it would help if we knew what device you had.

Kirby
    08-08-07 08:09 AM
    rkwhyte2,

I feel like I've tried everything to get pdf's to work on my 8830. Can you just briefly run down how you go about uploading pdf's and how you navigate through the menu to view them? I'm sure I'm doing it right but, at this point, I won't take for granted the possibility that I'm making a minor mistake.

What I do is connect up my 8830 to my computer, launch Roxio Media Manager. I have selected "Mass Storage" mode and also tried it without and neither time has worked so that doesn't seem to make any difference. I drop the pdf's into a folder I created on my 8830 media card that I titled "Media". The Roxio program then asks me if I want to convert the files for optimal playback. Once again, I've tried it with and without conversion without success, so that doesn't seem to matter either.

Once upload is complete, I disconnect the 8830 and go to applications/media/menu/explore/media card/blackberry/media (folder I created) and then I try to open the pdf file from there and then get a half black/half white screen. I've tried several different pdf's and txt files with the same result.

Is this how you've uploaded and viewed your pdf's? If not, what am I doing different?

Thanks, rkwhite2.
    08-08-07 10:55 AM
    I went and cruised around Adobe's site and I see that they only have readers for Pocket PC, Palm OS for Windows, Palm OS for Macintosh, andSymbian OS. I have yet to find an adobe reader emulator for any BB however I can view .pdf's when they are emailed to me as an attachment. Now here is where it becomes absolutely useless!!! when you open the PDF document, it is formatted to fit the screen so it looks like you are looking at a picture of the document, the words are microscopic. you do have the option to zoom in but then the text gets so pixelated it's pointless. If you click the scroll wheel you have the option to view text and/or enhance. If you enhance the document, it looks like you are reading with a magnifying glass so you have to scroll from side to side as well as up and down, scrolling through one page will take about 5 minutes on a 200k PDF. If you "view Text" the clarity is perfect but everything is just thrown together.

If you were able to sift through all my gramatical errors, hopefully this is some help to you.
    08-08-07 03:34 PM
    I went and cruised around Adobe's site and I see that they only have readers for Pocket PC, Palm OS for Windows, Palm OS for Macintosh, andSymbian OS. I have yet to find an adobe reader emulator for any BB however I can view .pdf's when they are emailed to me as an attachment. Now here is where it becomes absolutely useless!!! when you open the PDF document, it is formatted to fit the screen so it looks like you are looking at a picture of the document, the words are microscopic. you do have the option to zoom in but then the text gets so pixelated it's pointless. If you click the scroll wheel you have the option to view text and/or enhance. If you enhance the document, it looks like you are reading with a magnifying glass so you have to scroll from side to side as well as up and down, scrolling through one page will take about 5 minutes on a 200k PDF. If you "view Text" the clarity is perfect but everything is just thrown together.

If you were able to sift through all my gramatical errors, hopefully this is some help to you.
    This is exactly the way it works for me. It would be nice if Adobe would release a reader for BB but I'm not holding my breath.

Kirby
    08-09-07 06:55 AM
    If you enhance the document, it looks like you are reading with a magnifying glass so you have to scroll from side to side as well as up and down
    We work exactly this way, but once the document is enhanced, trackball does not work anymore ! Any tip about this ?
    Thanks for your help.
    Marco
    08-20-07 06:28 AM
    So you move the trackball, and nothing happens on the screen? I wonder if it's just moving slowly since the document is so big, and the screen is so small...
    08-20-07 07:21 AM
    exactly, as if you only get an enhanced view of the part of document you had on the screen, when you decided to enhance.
    08-22-07 04:34 AM
    "Q: How does BeamBerry handle my e-mail document attachments?
    A: BeamBerry, like all existing solutions in this space, uses server side processing as the BlackBerry device itself is not currently powerful enough to handle all of that locally. One of the ways in which BeamBerry is unique is that it does not clutter your mailbox with extra e-mail messages and does not require you to wait for a reply e-mail from the service in order to view the document attachment. Instead, everything is made transparent and the document opens up shortly after "Open with BeamBerry" is clicked. For additional information on how BeamBerry works please click here."

Here's a bit from the Beamberry FAQ page. It looks like they host your PDF and sent it back to you in an image file through your browser. So, are you looking at PDFs in email attachments? If you're looking at PDFs from a memory card I don't think this will work. Sorry.
    08-22-07 07:59 PM
    Very helpful! Thanks.
    08-22-07 11:29 PM
    No prob.
    08-24-07 08:42 PM
    Thanks for your tip, socoduce.
    But I still cannot understand if my bb8800 behaves right when I choose "PDF enhance".
    08-27-07 04:53 AM
    Are you trying to open your PDF from an email attachment using this software? According to the info on the web site you must be looking at an email that has been sent to them and the attachment has to be opened by their server. This would imply that the mail setting were set up, the browser settings were right, and finnaly the attachment was do-able.
    08-27-07 02:21 PM
    There is another PDF 8830 Thread in the "Blackberry 8830 World Edition Thread

forums.crackberry.com/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=2128
    09-02-07 10:40 PM
    I'm confused with Maverick's reply. I've tested said link, and it doesn't work...
    09-03-07 01:08 AM
    Ok, I think I figured out what Maverick was talking about. He / she has a thread here, discussing something similar...
    09-03-07 01:19 AM
    i have the 8830 and i cant open .pdf's at all.. i email them at attachments and i can download them, but it says it is unable to display.. i can convert the file to plain text on my comp, but then the words are just thrown together.

help please
    07-11-08 03:43 AM
    RepliGo Reader:

RepliGo Reader for BlackBerry - Native PDF Viewing - Beta

RepliGo Professional lets you read a bunch of different formats, gives you online storage for files you might want to access on your phone later. You can also fax and send email attachments. Hope this helps.
    07-23-08 09:47 PM
    I found this as well that allows viewing of PDF, PPT, DOC, XLS and CSV files; has online storage like the other program but also lets you store the files on your BB's memory card so you can have them when you need them. It also allows printing, faxing and even give you remote desktop access.

MasterDoc™ - Picture Perfect Document Viewer for BlackBerry
    07-23-08 11:52 PM
    Does anyone know if there's a FREE pdf/.doc viewer for the 8330 curve? A quick google search only turned up ones you have to pay for...

cypher
    11-18-08 09:30 AM
    Does anyone know if there's a FREE pdf/.doc viewer for the 8330 curve? A quick google search only turned up ones you have to pay for...

cypher
    I had MobiPocket Reader on my Pearl for a little while. It's free and you can read pdf's with it. It was a bit of a hog and it stayed active all the time, so I finally got rid of it. You can do a search for it...
    11-18-08 09:56 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD