Does anyone here use their BB with GPS for GeoCaching? If so what apps do you use. I'm currently trying to master Spot on the BB and it's causing a little bif of a headache. Any other sofware recommendations?
    09-14-07 05:23 PM
    What is GeoCaching?

Sounds like its either lots of fun or lots of hard work!
    09-14-07 10:00 PM
    I'm a geocacher too; I use my bb for looking at the cache info or hint, not using the gps as I haven't found any really good software that will replace my gps...
    09-15-07 03:02 AM
    What is GeoCaching?

Sounds like its either lots of fun or lots of hard work!
    HEHE...

From Geocaching site:

What is Geocaching?
    Geocaching is an entertaining adventure game for gps users. Participating in a cache hunt is a good way to take advantage of the wonderful features and capability of a gps unit. The basic idea is to have individuals and organizations set up caches all over the world and share the locations of these caches on the internet. GPS users can then use the location coordinates to find the caches. Once found, a cache may provide the visitor with a wide variety of rewards. All the visitor is asked to do is if they get something they should try to leave something for the cache.
    09-15-07 03:03 AM
    Does anyone here use their BB with GPS for GeoCaching? If so what apps do you use. I'm currently trying to master Spot on the BB and it's causing a little bif of a headache. Any other sofware recommendations?
    I haven't tried this app, but I believe it is one of the better/best ones out there for geocaching. It's called Spot.
    I had to select a device, so that's why you'll see only the 8703e listed at the bottom of the page, but it does support the 8820 too. It's states that you can download geocaching info directly from geocaching.com. There's a one time fee of 49.00.
    09-16-07 06:59 AM
    What we need is something like Trimble's Geocache Navigator application for the BlackBerry 8830, bit conpletely GPL or LGPL'd and Open Sourced.

We also need to see the Verizon 8830 GPS restrictions removed for Autonomous GPS reception so this program would be functional on the largest CDMA carrier in the U.S.A.

I originally bought the 8830 for just this purpose.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    itsjess likes this.
    11-01-07 11:48 AM
    What we need is something like Trimble's Geocache Navigator application for the BlackBerry 8830, bit conpletely GPL or LGPL'd and Open Sourced.

We also need to see the Verizon 8830 GPS restrictions removed for Autonomous GPS reception so this program would be functional on the largest CDMA carrier in the U.S.A.

I originally bought the 8830 for just this purpose.

If anyone would be interested in helping me code this project--also as a Java/GPS API lesson for myself--please contact me at firefisheATinboxDOTcom.

Warm Regards,
    Firefishe

11-01-07 11:52 AM
    Looking for something to use on my Blackberry 8310 (Built in GPS) but in the great land downunder - USA stuff is just useless to me...I need something that is network agnostic will work in Australia and yes I am on an unlimited data plan with my carrier.
    03-05-08 05:10 AM
    Are there any free Geocaching programs for BB? I saw there was a free beta version for 30 days called berrycache
    03-05-08 08:34 AM
    I just noticed Nav4All has the option of putting in Coordinates. Never used it in that way before, but since its free, it may be worth a try.
    03-06-08 12:44 PM
    Just signed up for the BerryCache trial. Also downloaded Google Maps for the Blackberry and I noticed that geocaching.com have started overlaying geocaches onto google maps output - anyone know if this can be merged in the mobile side?

So far I've not used my Berry for any geocaching and have had to always fall back onto my garmin which is now getting a little old. I'm going to keep plugging away here and hopefully I'll find something that will work well.
    03-10-08 05:47 PM
    Looking for something to use on my Blackberry 8310 (Built in GPS) but in the great land downunder - USA stuff is just useless to me...I need something that is network agnostic will work in Australia and yes I am on an unlimited data plan with my carrier.
    Trimble makes an application called Geocache Navigator that connects directly to the geocaching.com site so that one can go caching anywhere in the world. You can learn about this product at geocachenavigator.com.

Being transparent, I do work for Trimble but have been an avid geocacher for many years. I personally use an 8310 and my boys and I have really enjoyed geocaching on this device.

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)
    03-18-08 01:33 PM
    Used Geocache Navigator for the first time today.

I loved being able to simply drive somewhere and have it tell me all the caches we were near.

It did crash on me multiple times while using it though. Some error message popped up and it returned me to the home screen each time. I'd then have to open the app. again and find the cache all over again. Kind of a pain.
    03-20-08 07:31 PM
    Used Geocache Navigator for the first time today.

I loved being able to simply drive somewhere and have it tell me all the caches we were near.

It did crash on me multiple times while using it though. Some error message popped up and it returned me to the home screen each time. I'd then have to open the app. again and find the cache all over again. Kind of a pain.
    Would you mind letting me know where the error occurred? Was it consistent?

Thanks,

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)
    03-24-08 04:28 PM
    Would you mind letting me know where the error occurred? Was it consistent?

Thanks,

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)
    Where as in my location?

It happened at least twice on one cache - GC8F56 - A Traditional Cache in Pennsylvania, United States called Struble Trail "Action" Cache created by dizzyg

And again once on the very next cache we went on - GC8B58 - A Traditional Cache in Pennsylvania, United States called Uwchlan Trail created by surfcap

Both caches are pretty close to each other. Do you think it had something to do with the area I was in? This was the first time I've used the software.
    03-24-08 04:40 PM
    I have been caching for a few years and have been looking for easier ways to cache paperless, have used palm and also mobi pocket book. been using a magellan right along.. BUT now with the freedom puck and my 8830(verizon) and geocachache navigator and absolutely love it!!! Now I don't need to carry the magellan(caching anytime during work too) now I can do a quick search and have a map... topo... all details and logs, I don't see it telling if there are and trackables in the cache though... But yes I spent the 39 bucks for a year... well worth it if you ask me.
    Great Job Trimble and Thank you !!!
    03-25-08 08:36 AM
    Sorry about that, I should have been more specific. What activity in the application such as the screen you were looking at or menu caused the application to exit? How long was the application running before this happened? I cache quite extensively using my AT&T curve and obviously have been testing this from the ground up. We strive to resolve any problems discovered and therefore your feedback is really appreciated.

Thanks,

Larry (Trimble Outdoors)
    03-25-08 12:20 PM
    Larry -

I do believe it happened on the same screen each time - the COMPASS screen.

It happened after about ten minutes of using the application the first time. After that it seemed to happen quicker.

Wish I'd though to write down the error message it kept giving me.
    03-25-08 01:29 PM
    I love Geocaching. Though I have been using my Nokia N95 running Trimble's Geocache Navigator.

There is a Blackberry version, though god-knows-why, they charge monthly for it! Navigator for the N95 was free, and is awesome, it's really changed the way I geocache.
    Geocache Navigator� - geocaching with a GPS phone. Seek & Enjoy� > Get Started > Purchase

03-25-08 03:07 PM
    I think he was asking what you were doing in the application at the time of the error not your physical location.

03-25-08 05:54 PM
    I have been caching for a few years and have been looking for easier ways to cache paperless, have used palm and also mobi pocket book. been using a magellan right along.. BUT now with the freedom puck and my 8830(verizon) and geocachache navigator and absolutely love it!!! Now I don't need to carry the magellan(caching anytime during work too) now I can do a quick search and have a map... topo... all details and logs, I don't see it telling if there are and trackables in the cache though... But yes I spent the 39 bucks for a year... well worth it if you ask me.
    Great Job Trimble and Thank you !!!
    I like GN also ,but the only problem I see with it (other than needing a puck because my provider supposedly blocks the gps use) is that, no data = no caching. If you are out of your data provider's coverage, you are going to get nothing.

The strangest thing about US Cellular blocking the gps use. I have also ran a program called Accutracking. That works flawlessly with the internal gps. I also use Cacheberry and it has a way to sort your GPX file by GPS location, and that works consistently also. I also have Yahoo Go, and the maps in there work just fine. The only problems I have seen are with Google Maps, and Geocache Navigator. However, both of those seem to work fine with the gps puck I went out and bought.
    03-25-08 06:56 PM
    # tempestaz:
    hi there in the states - I am caching in germany for a while now and would like to use my bb 8300 (+gps puck) with GN.
    unfortunately I am not even able to get it started (version 2.0.2). the screen freezes with initializing and terms of use message and I don't find any way of confirming the "agree" button.
    And I am more than willing to pay the mothly or yearly subscription, but I have no Idea of where to pay it for the german T-Mobile net. I only find Boost Mobile, Nextel, SouthernLINC Wireless and Sprint on the GN-Page.
    The Handmark Site wouldn't let me buy a subscription for the curve 8300 with t-mobile.

Please advice...

Thanks a lot,
    Peter

[QUOTE=tempestaz;206025]We strive to resolve any problems discovered...

Thanks,
    03-28-08 05:52 PM
    [QUOTE=Peter Ringe;214326]# tempestaz:
    hi there in the states - I am caching in germany for a while now and would like to use my bb 8300 (+gps puck) with GN.
    unfortunately I am not even able to get it started (version 2.0.2). the screen freezes with initializing and terms of use message and I don't find any way of confirming the "agree" button.
    And I am more than willing to pay the mothly or yearly subscription, but I have no Idea of where to pay it for the german T-Mobile net. I only find Boost Mobile, Nextel, SouthernLINC Wireless and Sprint on the GN-Page.
    The Handmark Site wouldn't let me buy a subscription for the curve 8300 with t-mobile.

Please advice...

Thanks a lot,
    Peter

We strive to resolve any problems discovered...

Thanks,
    Peter,

I will stand by the quote. Officially we don't support devices that require Bluetooth. However, I was able to get an 8100 to work just fine. Have you tried going to our web site and getting the demo? You can go to http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/rim from the web or on your device http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/rim/get.

Select the 8310 and let me know your results.

Larry
    03-28-08 06:50 PM
    I am using GN and I love it! I have been able to get rid of my eTrex Legend and my clunky old Palm that wasn't working anymore anyway. GN is even better than CacheMate...all I need to go caching is my 8310 and a pen!
    04-08-08 12:37 AM
    I'd love to get into this but ovre at the site (geocaching.com) they suck no help what so ever I have signed up at all these places and nothing seems to work can;'t find anyhting. I'll send a post stating i didnt find it tell me to go some place online to update the info. I go to that website but get nowhere. I'm soooo lost using GN took advantage of Fridays BB lounge offer. If anyone is williing to help me out PM me Thanks.
    04-20-08 06:14 PM
157 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD