03-31-10 02:13 PM
    Yeah I just read that....I'm not sure I buy into this though. I still know a lot of BB owners that are loyal and happy with the product. I know I wouldn't trade my S2 for any other phone at this point....and I've seen first hand what the iphone can do. Nice phone, but it's not for me.

I will admit, I think RIM needs to feed the regular consumer more of what they want or they may lose out in the future.
    03-31-10 02:33 PM
    I think the touchscreen slider will be perfect. Sure it's not your stereotypical BB but it would be the perfect phone to me because you can have a touchscreen and also a keyboard. Couple that with a few cool other improvements like cool apps (games!) and that webkit browser we are all drooling over, and man will we probably have a good phone. That said, I love how my Tour works and if I can get a better browser I will be happy.
    03-31-10 02:45 PM
    The article is total BS - check out the photos - they have the iPhone, Moto Droid, and the Pearl. WAFJ.
    03-31-10 02:48 PM
    I was just about to post this. I am long time blackberry user and i love my 9700 with a passion and will never give up on it or any device to come after it. But i will admit that I do want some of that fun factor offered in the iphone or droid. I've had an iphone in the past before all the apps and it was still a fun phone to have. I would never pass up on the user functions of my bold and how simple it makes my life by intergrating all the important things i have to do. But sometimes i just want a phone to play around with and add apps and games to it so i can take full advantage of my phones capabilities.
    03-31-10 02:56 PM
    Not gonna happen. I carry a BlackBerry because of BES and the features and security it offers. Nothing else comes close.
    03-31-10 02:57 PM
    I loved the bit "who cares about typing when your phone remembers where you parked". Makes sense.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-31-10 02:59 PM
    Hate to be the cloud in the sky, but I think the article is right to a degree. People do want a WOW factor. Remember, Henry Ford said buyers could get a Model T in any color as long as it was black. Guess what the consumers did? they went to where they could get other colors.

People want to be able to get their corporate email and yes, they do want to have a "fart" app to play with in their down time. If they have to carry the phone with them 24/7 for business reasons then yeah they do want to be able to eaisly search the web or buy tickets for a movie or play around on face book. For a huge number of people, our universe is no longer one where work and life are kept apart. It blended a long time ago for better or for worse. Apple and Google are addressing that reality. RIM is making noise that is it trying to, but it is doing it in fits and starts and really isn't making any headway.

Right now RIM has the lock on security with email. IBM too once had a lock on the PC and the better operating system (OS/2 anyone). Very little in IT is forever. The one constant is that end users want 'more'. Right now 'more' is expressed as the desire to be able to do more than just read email. RIM really need to bust their humps on the OS and UI, getting them to the usable (already there) and fun stage (mile to go before they can sleep).

I think I am fairly typical of the non governmental user of a black berry. I'm a small business owner who lives and dies by email.
    03-31-10 03:16 PM
    Once again the Mainstream Media has an Agenda.....

Here's the deal, (From someone inside the mobile phone industry)

RIM does need to make some changes and come out with some groundbreaking devices as they did a year or two ago with the Storm & Bold Series.

But the fact is, they just did. They changed the game with those devices. They enhanced the Blackberry experience beyond what I thought was possible, and I believe they are not about to let all that advancement go to waste.

No way! They have a plan and hopefully this summer or fall we get a glimpse of what is coming our way.

I had an 8310 and it got old after a while. However I have had my Bold 9000 for over a year and have turned down Droid after Droid, and I-Phone after I-Phone. I have had them all but cannot part with my 9000.

I could get specific and many users already have, but there is nothing quite like the NEW ENHANCED Blackberry experience.

They shocked me once and I hope they keep up the momentum.

By the way: The new device that is rumored to come out. Full Touch with a slide out keyboard like the bold series = My Dream Device!
    03-31-10 03:22 PM
    People want to be able to get their corporate email and yes, they do want to have a "fart" app to play with in their down time. If they have to carry the phone with them 24/7 for business reasons then yeah they do want to be able to eaisly search the web or buy tickets for a movie or play around on face book. For a huge number of people, our universe is no longer one where work and life are kept apart. It blended a long time ago for better or for worse. Apple and Google are addressing that reality. RIM is making noise that is it trying to, but it is doing it in fits and starts and really isn't making any headway.

Right now RIM has the lock on security with email. IBM too once had a lock on the PC and the better operating system (OS/2 anyone). Very little in IT is forever. The one constant is that end users want 'more'. Right now 'more' is expressed as the desire to be able to do more than just read email. RIM really need to bust their humps on the OS and UI, getting them to the usable (already there) and fun stage (mile to go before they can sleep).
    You know very well that it's possible to do everything you listed on a BlackBerry. So what do you really think is missing, some wow factor?

03-31-10 03:30 PM
    Sigh. Here we go again. The current trend seems to be to spread the word of doom and gloom for RIM.

03-31-10 03:37 PM
    Once again the Mainstream Media has an Agenda.....

Here's the deal, (From someone inside the mobile phone industry)

RIM does need to make some changes and come out with some groundbreaking devices as they did a year or two ago with the Storm & Bold Series.

But the fact is, they just did. They changed the game with those devices. They enhanced the Blackberry experience beyond what I thought was possible, and I believe they are not about to let all that advancement go to waste.

No way! They have a plan and hopefully this summer or fall we get a glimpse of what is coming our way.

I had an 8310 and it got old after a while. However I have had my Bold 9000 for over a year and have turned down Droid after Droid, and I-Phone after I-Phone. I have had them all but cannot part with my 9000.

I could get specific and many users already have, but there is nothing quite like the NEW ENHANCED Blackberry experience.

They shocked me once and I hope they keep up the momentum.

By the way: The new device that is rumored to come out. Full Touch with a slide out keyboard like the bold series = My Dream Device!
    Very good points!

Sounds to me you are shooting for the Slider? Looks good, however reminds me of the Palm Plus....
    03-31-10 03:42 PM
    I'm 16 and while most people my age want the iphone and don't even know what the droid is, I LOVE my berry. Its just an 8520 but it fits all my needs. Ya the entertainment experience could be improved, but the frustration I have typing on my ipod touch just makes me love my berry even more. I plan to keep my berry for a long time. Well.... I'm lying, I mean I plan to stay with RIM for a long time, I have my eyes set on the 9700, not the iphone, droid or any other phone. And I have my touch fopr all those apps. My blackberry does what a smartphone should do whenevr I think of the word "smartphone". I don't need it to be a phone and a gaming system.

03-31-10 03:48 PM
    Exactly. Not all consumers look for the same thing. Some people like me look for a device that excels at communication, like what a cellphone's usually for.

03-31-10 03:49 PM
    Kind of crazy how this article states RIM still has a 42% market share on the market, compared to Apple's 25%.

Last week there was the reports from the Advertising company stating RIM had what, 8%? and Apple had 50+?

Someone's wrong.
    03-31-10 03:56 PM
    You know very well that it's possible to do everything you listed on a BlackBerry. So what do you really think is missing, some wow factor?

Window dressing. I'm dead serious, its all about the window dressing. Call is pizazz, sparkle, shiny, WOW factor or what ever you chose. But that is it.

I could make two widgets that perform the same exact function. One is attractive one is purely functional in appearance (as determined by the whims of the market place) and guess which one is gonna sell? Now add a browser that works as well as found on the iPhone and the Driod phones as well as support from more (mainstream) 3rd party vendors to the list (the recent LinkedIn app disaster anyone?). Petty sounding isn't it? But it's true. It's how the world works.

I am a minimalist guy for the most part myself. I'd rather go with something that gets the job done with the minimal of fuss. But in that regard I know that I am not in the majority. RIM wants that majority. RIM needs that majority.
    03-31-10 04:07 PM
    Kind of crazy how this article states RIM still has a 42% market share on the market, compared to Apple's 25%.

Last week there was the reports from the Advertising company stating RIM had what, 8%? and Apple had 50+?

Someone's wrong.
    no no no, that report was all of the % of browser traffic used by a specific phone.

Apple owns 50% of the traffic when it comes to browsing
    RIM own 8% of the traffic it when it comes to browsing.

meaning people who use RIM devices use them as a phone, not a web browser.

03-31-10 04:10 PM
    I just don't understand what type of device some people are looking for? There is always room for improvements, but I am totally satisfied with my Tour! The only reason I would give it up is for a new improved BB, but never for a droid or Iphone! I did by the Ipod touch, does everything the Iphone does minus the calls. So when I want to play games, watch movies, etc I use the Touch. I think it's kind of like having the best of both worlds!
    03-31-10 04:10 PM
    You know I take these types of articles with a grain of salt. Some users will inevitably change. Alot of the people polled were probably fickle about their phone selection anyway. The comment about 8 million apps that the author made is great but seriously, when/why did a phone become defined by the additional software that it can run. The blackberry might not give you every possible application out there, but the quick and dirty of it is that the apps that you may need to run are generally available for ALL platforms. To me these articles just come off as useless media fodder that some "tech guy" needed to put out to meet his quota. You can throw out any statistics that you want, but the fact of the matter is that you're going to get a different perspective if they tell you something about the sample and its size. Maybe that sample is 100 college students...they'd gravitate more toward the iphone/nexus than the BB for other reasons than if the poll was of 100 business people.

The other thing is how data is presented in these articles. The article states market share drop of 1% (but not where) for RIM. However another article that I recently read on CNN talks about how RIM GREW their market share in both the Domestic and International Markets last year. What that tells you is that its possible that if the sampling followed/trended more toward AT&T users then it makes sense in the US. Or that the iphone/nexus became more available in international markets...you'd expect a big jump in their revenue and market share.

I guess all in all it doesn't really matter that much. As I've said in other threads (not many). I like the simplicity of the BB. I'm not even a BB owner yet so I'm not nearly as biased as this sounds. I've played with both the iphone and the nexus and to tell you the truth I don't see either as the end all be all of smartphones. The devices are good but for my purposes a blackberry will be better.
    03-31-10 04:19 PM
    I have already jumped ship, I come back to this site because I like the Sprint forum and I still have a girlfriend and mother that are non technical people so I need to keep up with this site and Androidcentral.com to stay up to date with everything, but I have been getting so tired of the my phone crashing, udates doing dumb stuff, and Sprint doesn't help either, I think the big problem was that they had exclusive phones that did the same darn thing, when the could have shared the love and had a Pearl, Curve, Tour, Bold, and Storm on all Carriers and made some cake!!! It really doesnt make sense sometimes, It might be because they are from Canda and Canadians are laid back, lol, but I don't see them rushing to fix this at all, I have seen some screen shots of a supposed new OS but I dont think they are going to get that out in time, now they let Android and Winmo 7 leap frog them its going to be really interesting, I still think they should buy out Palm and make phones that run Palm OS, Winmo and Blackberry OS
    03-31-10 04:55 PM
    I aqree....haha.

03-31-10 05:37 PM
    Had palm Treo, liked the ease of use, wanted more, picked Tour, like it alot, still learning, would like to use more of it's capabilities. Tour or Bold for me. Use itouch of apps, would like more/cheaper apps for Tour (like the touch). All in all if vzw/rim keep moving forward (faster would be better), I'll stay. (cautiously optimistic)????????????
    03-31-10 07:58 PM
    RIM still showed subscriber growth this quarter so I bet they don't care anyways. RIM has the best mobile marketing besides Apple in my opinion so that's probably a reason for the growth.

Count me in as one of the unhappy BlackBerry users. I was once a core BlackBerry user who abused the **** out of it and messaged a lot with IM and e-mail. Nowadays all I really do is use it as a FB notification pager, a web browser and to listen to Pandora with it. I also do the usual Google Maps Browsing on a regular BlackBerry is a painful experience no matter how you look at it. Plus I've learned to love good software keyboards so I'll gladly give up the screen face for more keyboard.

When I bought my 8900 back in April of last year, the BlackBerry platform was the second best you could buy. Android was still in its infancy and webOS wasn't even out yet. Now, Android is almost mature with the apps needing a little more time to catch up. I can't get a quality browsing experience on BlackBerry so I'm moving. The WebKit browser will be too late for me anyways, I'm getting the Evo when that comes out.
    03-31-10 08:27 PM
    Man why is everybody hating on RIM lately...
    03-31-10 08:52 PM
    Not so much hating. I like my phone. But I am also willing to admit to its shortcomings.
    03-31-10 09:05 PM
280 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD