BlackBerry maker Research in Motion Ltd. has lost another senior marketing executive as it struggles with a product transition that has triggered profit warnings and a sharp share-price drop.
    Brian Wallace, RIM's vice president of digital marketing and media, has left RIM for Samsung Telecommunications America. Samsung confirmed the move Monday.
    RIM representatives weren't immediately available for comment. Samsung said Mr. Wallace wasn't available for comment.

"At this point Samsung confirms the news, but [has] no additional comments," a Samsung Telecommunications spokeswoman said in an email. Samsung Telecom is a unit of Samsung Electronics Co.
    Mr. Wallace's departure comes amid a time of turmoil for Waterloo, Ontario-based RIM. The BlackBerry maker is bleeding market share in the U.S. as its aging product line struggles to compete against Apple Inc.'s iPhone and devices powered by Google Inc.'s Android-operating system, such as Samsung's Galaxy. Last week, RIM's shares fell to five-year lows after the company issued disappointing second-quarter guidance and said it would begin reducing its head count.
    Mr. Wallace is the latest senior departure from RIM's marketing department. Keith Pardy left the company in February after serving as chief marketing officer for two years. His departure came just weeks before RIM was to launch its PlayBook tablet, the company's most important roll-out in years.
    Paul Kalbflesich, a vice president of brand creativity at RIM for 11 years, left RIM earlier this year, replaced by Roger Baxter, a former chief strategy officer for Publicis Group SA's Seattle unit.
    Last week, RIM also said that one of its three chief operating officers, Don Morrison, had left the company temporarily on medical leave but that he would eventually return. Meanwhile, RIM said Larry Conlee, a former COO who retired in 2009, has returned in an advisory role. RIM representatives haven't commented specifically on Mr. Conlee's role at the company or on how Mr. Morrison's duties are being handled during his medical leave.

Source: WSJ
    06-20-11 12:54 PM
    Old news. This was announced last week.

But if these departures continue then an implosion may be happening..
    People tired of the two Co-Ceo's not listening.

Tim
    06-20-11 02:04 PM
    Or, they are being quietly asked to leave for allowing the BlackBerry brand to drop to where it is in the first place. Marketing certainly has to shoulder some of the blame, and their digital presence has not been stellar.

Or it's an implosion. Certainly not impossible.
    06-20-11 02:07 PM
    oh he's in marketing, good riddance
    06-20-11 02:26 PM
    The wrong people are leaving.
    06-20-11 03:09 PM
    A marketing executive who shares in the responsibility of putting RIM in the position its in is leaving?

Good luck with that one Samsung - hopefully he does better for you than he did for RIM.
    06-20-11 03:57 PM
    Marketing alone can't be blamed for this. I have friends worried about their jobs at RIM too. Times are tough there and the employees are paying for the Co-CEO's pathetic lack of leadership.
    trsbbs likes this.
    06-20-11 04:32 PM
    Marketing alone can't be blamed for this. I have friends worried about their jobs at RIM too. Times are tough there and the employees are paying for the Co-CEO's pathetic lack of leadership.
    unfortunately its the staff that pays the price for the executives bad decisions. Please dont get me wrong I am not making light of your friends situation but pointing out that RIM has leadership issues.
    K Bear likes this.
    06-20-11 05:51 PM
    The wrong people are leaving.
    winner! im pretty sure everyone knows who needs to find a new job except for those 2 people lol
    K Bear likes this.
    06-20-11 05:57 PM
    A marketing executive who shares in the responsibility of putting RIM in the position its in is leaving?

Good luck with that one Samsung - hopefully he does better for you than he did for RIM.
    Pretty much my take on this as well. Exactly WHAT could he have put on his resume that was attractive to Samsung? LOL
    06-20-11 07:34 PM
    I say good riddance, their marketing bites.
    06-20-11 07:41 PM
    Meh, RIM is still going with the flow. They aren't dying yet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-21-11 04:08 AM

Let's face it, RIM didn't fire him. It was the other way round.

It could also be taken that he tried to do something marketing wise and was repeatedly blocked which led to his resignation.

We won't know until his book comes out. (What? He's in marketing! ).
    06-21-11 04:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD