I'm no Apple fanboi, that's for sure. I've never owned Birkenstocks or even Teva's, and if there is an Apple culture ... I'm definitely not the profile. I'm a BlackBerry type of guy through and through.

That being said, I would be very disappointed in RIM or any company that refused to adopt a business method or technology that was better simply because some other company had adopted it first. I have no idea about SurePress, or whatever system the Storm2 uses. Before I got used to touchscreens I definitely preferred the Storm's system to the iPhones both for internet navigation (where I still see it as superior), and typing where it was more forgiving. But now that I'm proficient at typing on a touchscreen, I prefer the non-clicky method. The traditional touchscreen method (call it the iPhone method if you like) is faster. Even Crackberry's own Kevin M. also noticed that, and the fact that highlighting the letters isn't quite as good as a side callout--though I maintain that once you use either both methods are equally efficient at identifying mis-presses.

I don't care whether Microsoft, Nokia, Apple, or Hasbro did it first ... I want whatever is best. That's the very reason I like BlackBerry in the first place--it usually IS the best at the things I want it to do.

I'm very excited about the Storm2 and the prospect of a similar device on AT&T.

Special thanks to CX, ausch, kiki and that radioguinea guy for all the excellent info in this and other threads.
    Last edited by Digital; 05-15-09 at 07:44 PM.
    05-15-09 07:24 PM
    05-15-09 10:21 PM
    I have to agree with Digital here. I'm not like many people on this forum who are immediately opposed to anything non-blackberry. I think the iPhone works great and is reflective of Apple's prowess in hardware/software integration.

I have been waiting for the Tour 9630, but what I really wanted was a Storm that has a solid OS and doesn't have the clickable screen. This looks like it could be it. I'm hoping this thing comes out soon! (and on verizon)
    05-15-09 10:30 PM
    best keyboard ever? wow. glad rim actually worked hard on this one... any news of free upgrades for storm1 users?
    05-16-09 05:54 AM
    No it's not just like the Iphones.
    o thank god
    05-16-09 05:55 AM
    I prefer to see if storm 2 truepress will be like iphone or not and best is get that storm 2 in person and see for yourself !
    05-16-09 10:28 AM
    Oh this sounds real good.

"BTW...The one I have does have WiFi on it. And it's not GSM only.
    Which real quick, let me make another point real quick...
    RIM IS smart in the aspect of including US GSM capabilities on all devices going forward. Screw the carriers...the devices are going to sell one way or another.
    RIM knows there are people out there who are going to go out and buy these things at either full retail or from people on Craigslist/eBay who don't want them anymore, unlock them, and use them on whatever damn carrier they want.
    RIM doesn't give a damn as long as the phones are selling...and the carriers shouldn't care either if someone unlocks their phone and takes it to another carrier...They are getting their money for "subsidizing" one way or another...
    Ahhh how we long for the day that you go and BUY YOUR DEVICE and THEN decide what carrier to put it on."
    HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - View Single Post - The Official Blackberry Storm 2 Pre-release Thread
    05-16-09 02:12 PM
    Someone just told me its a reg touch with "like a milisecond delay" so you have to keep your finger on it for a "half second".

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-16-09 03:44 PM
    Someone just told me its a reg touch with "like a milisecond delay" so you have to keep your finger on it for a "half second".

Yeah the Storm 2 will be A LOT easier to get it to recognize it.
    05-16-09 03:46 PM
    All I wanted was sharks with frikkin lazer beams attached to their frikkin foreheads! Think a real touch screen not a clickable one

Ha ha ha ha.

05-16-09 05:54 PM
    Did you guys read this article? It doesn't sound like he actually has a storm 2. Sounds like somebody starting rumors. The current screen doesn't just click in the middle, it clicks all over, which is why it floats on all those pivot points (and has the big gap all around the screen and sloppy movement). I don't think this guy knows what he's talking about. He doesn't sound intelligent at all.
    05-16-09 10:53 PM
    That's what I was referring to bro. Just like I said. "just like the iPhone's,"
    Bro... I think CX is refering to:

"Look...Here's the problem with the Storm 1 when it comes to the "SurePress".
    The way that the device was created, it only has 1 area which actually presses down to make the selection...and it just happens to be right in the middle of that big-*** screen.
    Obviously this isn't a great design feature.
    Now, I have had in my possession one build of this device (the storm 2).
    I am not sure if this device is the same (look the same, yes. However without having this specific one in hand, I can't make a comment one way or another if the screen is the same).
    I took this one apart and found out that the screen clicks on the board in 4 separate locations...Yep...all 4 corners...The screen feels more solid and is extremely more accurate than the current 9530. It also doesn't take as much "press" on the screen in order to get it to recognize the click.
    However...RIM...seriously...WTF...
    Look....The SureType keyboard is the best on a BlackBerry device to date hands down (even on the original Storm).
    But you need an OS upgrade to these consumers ASAP. Take a tip from the iPhone...When someone is in Landscape mode and is hovering over a letter/key, give a "pop up" preview of what key they are actually on and about to press so that you don't run into issues of people having to go back and delete/correct what they are typing because i=o and o=p and n=m and so on and so on.
    What else differs from the "Storm 2" (version I have) and Storm 1? Not a damn thing...The keys are changed which is nice IMO and the keys are actually "embedded" into the device (not my first choice the way they have them on "Storm 2" but on Storm 1, that's freaking pathetic...That ****'s like so late 90's...I think I have a Samsung somewhere in my office from back then with a better set of 4 keys on it than the Storm 1).
    BTW...The one I have does have WiFi on it. And it's not GSM only.
    Which real quick, let me make another point real quick...
    RIM IS smart in the aspect of including US GSM capabilities on all devices going forward. Screw the carriers...the devices are going to sell one way or another.
    RIM knows there are people out there who are going to go out and buy these things at either full retail or from people on Craigslist/eBay who don't want them anymore, unlock them, and use them on whatever damn carrier they want.
    RIM doesn't give a damn as long as the phones are selling...and the carriers shouldn't care either if someone unlocks their phone and takes it to another carrier...They are getting their money for "subsidizing" one way or another...
    Ahhh how we long for the day that you go and BUY YOUR DEVICE and THEN decide what carrier to put it on. "

This is from the Engadget post.
    05-16-09 11:30 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD