What kind of ...? That open GL will only be for the 9550 and the 8530 ... all us storm 9530 owners got screwed. Even tour owners new to the fold are getting the shaft. Nice going RIM. Good way to keep owner loyalty, NOT!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 11-12-09 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Content
    11-11-09 02:22 AM
    Most Likely it's due to the CPU. Though unconfirmed, it is generally felt that the Storm 2 has the MSM7627 processor which is fare superior to the Storm 1's MSM7600. As fare as I know the Tour also has the MSM7600.

The MSM7627 is what powers the Palm Pixi which uses OpenGL graphics pretty heavily.

I have a feeling RIM started using this Processor with the Storm 2, and is continuing down the line. Things really took a change with native OS 5 devices.

Besides that little point I had a feeling that the "all OS 5 phones will support OpenGL" was BS from the start. OpenGL takes a fair bit of processor power and memory to even run correctly.

Another little tidbit.. The MSM7627 supports OpenGL 2.0, while the MSM 7600 supports OpenGL 1. This could also be a massive factor why only the newest phones will have it as coding for the 2 I'm sure is different and not universal. RIM want's the API to be the same for all the phones.

Oh that and the MSM7627 wasn't even released back with the Storm 1 and Tour.
    Last edited by mrspock2002; 11-11-09 at 02:45 AM.
    11-11-09 02:41 AM
    i think anywhere from the Bold and up should of got some love
    11-11-09 07:07 AM
    Were is the love for the 8330
    11-11-09 01:36 PM
    ... Stop crying because yall thought the storm 1 and 2 were the same, when people clearly told yall they werent. Now the facts are out and everyone crying like they were abandoned. Your phone is old. its one year freakin old. lol. Upgrade, stop crying, and be happy with storm 2. otherwise, keep your storm 1.....and deal with its 7600 processor. No open GL. Thats life.
    Because one year is so long and your Storm2 does so much more than the Storm 1 right? It clicks different and runs the same old OS. REVOLUTIONARY. They have a right to whine, and you have a choice to not read/reply to their complaints.

Last edited by avt123; 11-11-09 at 02:23 PM.
    11-11-09 02:20 PM
    This thread will go absolutely nowhere...
    11-11-09 02:38 PM
    Because one year is so long and your Storm2 does so much more than the Storm 1 right? It clicks different and runs the same old OS. REVOLUTIONARY. They have a right to whine, and you have a choice to not read/reply to their complaints.

I really intended to let this thread just drop off and die on the second page. But. First off I haven't seen anyone on here ever state that the S2 would be "revolutionary." They call it the Storm TWO for a reason, namely, it's a 2nd gen iteration with incremental, but meaningful, improvements. If you don't like it that's fine, but it would be great if folks would post facts and opinions, rather than invent new language to describe (any) device. I upgraded to the S2 knowing *precisely* what I was going to be getting, thanks largely to CB and the handful of very helpful folks who remain on here (CX, pk, etc.) I wasn't buying a revolution. To imply that a revolution was promised is disingenuous.

/end rant./
    11-11-09 06:52 PM
    gl? whats that?
    11-11-09 07:31 PM
    gl=green love,green lettuce,good luck,great lobotomy,gracious loser,etc... take yer pick :P
    11-11-09 07:39 PM
    Put Droid on a BlackBerry NOW!
    11-11-09 07:56 PM
    That would pretty sweet and stop all the argueing anthem I could come back to CB operating on a BB.

11-11-09 08:01 PM
    With the news coming out only 2 devices so far supporting open gl. Looks like I will be skipping the so called "flagship" 9700 and wait for the next bold that will support open gl. Anyways still loving the berry.

11-11-09 08:09 PM
    gl=green love,green lettuce,good luck,great lobotomy,gracious loser,etc... take yer pick :P
    in the context of this situation
    11-11-09 08:17 PM
    You didn't even know it existed three days ago folks. Is your life really over now that you do? Let them experiment on folks who do have the capability of using it then upgrade when the kinks are gone. Life is not over because you do not have the latest and greatest technology in your pocket and before anybody has anything smart to say, I am a tour owner. I would like to have it too but honestly I did not get this thing expecting it to magically transport me into the world of "Minority report" or some fantasy like that.

It's a phone people, get a grip.....
    11-11-09 08:33 PM
    Put Droid on a BlackBerry NOW!
    agreed!! i purchased an HTC Eris running droid 2.o for my wife and must am rather jealous that my 9530 is like a child compaired to the droid software. rim is dropping the ball i think ...... i'm just sayin
    11-11-09 08:37 PM
    I would not be surprised RIM decided on this since a lot of 9530 will stick with their device instead of buying the Storm+. To put pressure on the buyer to stay on the "leading edge" or so you think, for a year

11-11-09 08:41 PM
    agreed!! i purchased an HTC Eris running droid 2.o for my wife and must am rather jealous that my 9530 is like a child compaired to the droid software. rim is dropping the ball i think ...... i'm just sayin
    No, you didn't.

The HTC Droid Eris is running Android 1.5.
    11-11-09 08:42 PM
    I cannot count how many threads I've seen on here full of people saying things like
    "Rim needs to step up their game."
    "Rim is falling behind."
    "If they don't update, I'm outa here."
    "The OS is antiquated."
    "Why can't we have games and apps like the iphone and android and Nokia and Samsung and LG..."
    "Why can't we run apps from the memory card."
    "How come we don't have a flashplayer."
    Blah blah blah blah blah, on and on and on and on, since I came here a year ago.

RIM is finally starting to do what you asked, namely bring in new features, new technologies (new for RIM) and new capabilities.
    And all some people can say is "What do you mean it won't work on my current device. Why should I have to get a new one'?

Is it so hard to grasp that all this new stuff might require new hardware to function?

God I love irony.
    11-11-09 09:13 PM
    I just dont understand what all the whining is about. Technology changes and advances so fast that it only takes months for some things to be considered old. If RIM screwed the storm1 owners than they also screwed the bold, curve, pearl, etc etc owners. I guess im gonna have to start whining now beucase when the storm3 comes out I know RIM did it on purpose just to screw me over. Losers!

Oh and Bajan, you need to realize something. Its better to be a fanboi than to be a follower of the next cool device just to fit in. Remember, your reputation is important now.
    Last edited by paulwright1; 11-11-09 at 09:38 PM.
    11-11-09 09:35 PM
    I just dont understand what all the whining is about. Technology changes and advances so fast that it only takes months for some things to be considered old. If RIM screwed the storm1 owners than they also screwed the bold, curve, pearl, etc etc owners. I guess im gonna have to start whining now beucase when the storm3 comes out I know RIM did it on purpose just to screw me over. Losers!

Oh and Bajan, you need to realize something. Its better to be a fanboi than to be a follower of the next cool device just to fit in. Remember, your reputation is important now.
    Oh, paulwright. It seems that whenever there is an argument on this issue, you and I are posting in the same place. The issue that I have is not that they released a new phone, you're right that is the rate at which technology changes. What bothers me, is that unlike the curve/bold/pearl, the S2 replaced the S1 in the product line. Verizon stores actually don't have the S1 in stock in some places, which leads me to think that RIM knows they screwed up the first one and want to do better the second time around. HOWEVER, S1 owners are not going to see these awesome improvements to the BB OS until they upgrade. The Storm is one of the newest devices. I know that older BB models will not see Open GL, but they have been on the market for much more than a year.

That is where the problem for me is.
    11-11-09 10:14 PM
    I support RIM. I don't get in here and praise their every stupid move and I demand improvements from a company that going to get my hard earned money. Unlike you and your lacky Paul who would blow Jim if he were in front you.

11-11-09 10:22 PM
    I support RIM. I don't get in here and praise their every stupid move and I demand improvements from a company that going to get my hard earned money. Unlike you and your lacky Paul who would blow Jim if he were in front you.

No your right you dont praise them, well actually you do sometimes but then you turn aroudn talk isht about them. Then you flip again and support them then back to bashing them. Make up your mind already. Improvements have been made and more are on the way. Sorry if you are a person that needs instant gratification but things dont happen over night. Oh and you already beat us to Jim. Oh darn, maybe next time.
    11-11-09 10:30 PM
    My opinion of RIM is not absolute. They do great things and other times not and I call em on it. At the end of the day I support RIM with my pocket not blind support on a forum. I think that gives me the right to complain about things they do that I don't support. As for Jim na he's not my type.

11-11-09 10:39 PM
    the fact that they can't fix the phone in less than a year is proof enough to me of RIM's intentions...i'm counting the days till my upgrade date, and i won't look back. RIM needs to forget open GL, forget the browser, forget threaded SMS and kinetic scrolling, and focus on what they're good at: corporate email. leave the consumer market to people who know what's up, instead of copying everyone else, and slapping some janky code on an OS that's barely capable of running the hardware available. you gotta crawl before you can walk, and run....at this point in the consumer market, RIM just barely learned how to drool properly. so they have a ways to go.

now if they dropped everything that wasn't BES improvment oriented, and started from scratch with a consumer only team, and made separate devices and software for consumer use, then they MIGHT have a chance to get it right before my annual upgrade comes around next XMAS. but any other action is destined to fail the consumer expectations, and will just be the same re-hashed steaming pile of **** that already exists. i love blackberries, because (until 4.7 and now 5.0) the phones and service was generally headache free. of all the advanced devices available, blackberries caused the least problems. treos and winmo phones, they were all a mess. stability issues, hardware problems, the works. but yet RIM kept plugging along. then they got out of their own wheel house, and stretched too far, and threw too much bondo on that beat up old chevy panel, and now it's starting to rust, and clank and backfire....but you can't go backwards far enough to fix it.

moral of the story? unless you're on a corporate email server, then go get something that works RIGHT NOW while RIM figures it out. and they won't figure it out until all of you "my storm 2 (or enter any blackberry model, they're all interchangeable at this point) works just fine" types start talking with your wallets. instead of throwing gas on the fire, why don't you challenge the manufacturer to deliver a FINISHED product the first time, and then let the maintenance releases/hardware evolutions work as upgrades to existing features/services, or to add new features/services.

the mentality of "works fine enough" is what will ruin cell phones for everyone. and since i got my hands on android, everyone i know who's into technology and blackberries has been spewing excuses and crap at me non-stop..."oh, but open GL, and firefox, and webkit...just wait, man"...i've already waited almost a year, how much longer until they fix the existing problems, before adding a million new things for them to break too?
    11-12-09 12:20 AM
    Wow patches again. Standing ovation to you. Thank you, you practically stole not took the words out of my mouth.

11-12-09 01:09 AM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD