Hi all. Spoke to a T-mobile BB rep yesterday and he told me that the BB rep was just in there and let them know that RIM is working on a new Desktop Manager for Mac. Finally!! Also, he doesn't know when it will be ready, but RIM feels that more people are going toward the Mac and so they feel it's worth it to come up with a DM for the Mac. Let's hope it's for real!!
    01-16-08 08:55 AM
    The mac client would be great pocket mac is buggy
    02-17-08 12:33 PM
    YES! Elimination of my only reason not to get a Mac!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-17-08 12:38 PM
    Awesome. Keep us posted!

02-17-08 12:47 PM
    Thank goodness!!! I'm still using Panther, so I'm okay at the moment, but the moment I get a new computer with the new OS and the new 2008 Office, I'd be in trouble!
    Last edited by VZWBBnewb; 02-17-08 at 01:01 PM.
    02-17-08 12:52 PM
    Why isn't the Office 2008 going to be compatible?

02-17-08 12:55 PM
    Why isn't the Office 2008 going to be compatible?

Currently, if you have Office 2008 (from all the threads I've read), PocketMac isn't currently compatible and buggy at best. If they come out with a new Desktop Manager for Mac, then Office 2008 WILL be compatible as it's the newest s/w.

The best part is we'll be able to upgrade OS's for the BB without having to take it to a PC!!
    02-17-08 01:01 PM
    yay, finally! i can uninstall windows, since its all i really use windows for anymore and pocketmac is annoying
    02-17-08 05:32 PM
    Oh that would be fantastic! I'm not that thrilled about knowing I'll have to use VMWare to install stuff when I get my 8320 on Thursday.
    02-18-08 09:42 AM
    This is great news. I love my Mac and I love my BB. Now I get to put my two loves together. It feels like the first time I had peanut butter and jelly.

20s Business Central
    02-18-08 01:49 PM
    I want a MacBook air but I'm not too keen on the price and then you have to buy an optical drive :S
    02-18-08 02:46 PM
    What are you all talking about? They ALREADY have software for Apple's Mac OS X!

I saw it the other day on the American site, whilst wasting time and browsing around... It should be available on the international downloads site also.

02-22-08 06:01 AM
    hey cyba.cowboy can you point us to the link for the OSX software?
    02-22-08 07:38 AM
    This is great news. I love my Mac and I love my BB. Now I get to put my two loves together. It feels like the first time I had peanut butter and jelly.

20s Business Central
    hahahaha I feel the exact same way. Couldn't have said it better myself.
    02-22-08 08:08 AM
    I didn't have a look, but the link is here:

BlackBerry - BlackBerry for Mac

It appears to do pretty much everything...
    02-22-08 09:59 AM
    What are you all talking about? They ALREADY have software for Apple's Mac OS X!

I saw it the other day on the American site, whilst wasting time and browsing around... It should be available on the international downloads site also.

Yes, they do, but you still cannot upload BB's OS upgrades to the BB through a Mac and PocketMac is incompatible with the newest MS Office Suite, so then you have to purchase Missing Sync to do that.

If RIM is able to come up with a Desktop Manager for Mac, then these issues would be resolved!
    02-22-08 10:21 AM
    We are talking about a program like desktop manager. PocketMac sucks.

02-22-08 10:27 AM
    that would be so awesome, becasue there are so many people that are switching over to macs
    02-24-08 04:59 PM
    What Macs would you all recommend?

02-24-08 05:44 PM
    What Macs would you all recommend?
    The laptops are awesome! I have a PowerBook Aluminum from 2004 and it's still going strong!!
    02-24-08 05:50 PM
    I had a Powerbook G4 about 15 months ago when I upgraded to a MacBook Pro. The intel platform allows me to run windows so I can have the Desktop Mgr until RIM offers a real solutions. PocketMac is NOT the answer.
    02-24-08 09:19 PM
    Microsoft Office 2008? Get with the times man, switch to a REAL productivity suite, like the free OpenOffice.org!

As for the firmware upgrades, seriously, how often do you need to do one?

Once every six months? Once a year?

02-25-08 01:41 AM
    Microsoft Office 2008? Get with the times man, switch to a REAL productivity suite, like the free OpenOffice.org!

As for the firmware upgrades, seriously, how often do you need to do one?

Once every six months? Once a year?

How about iWorks! Pretty sweet compaired to Office.

For your comment about updates? Not so much that, just a stable piece of software that will allow you to sync without getting doubles or triples, allow you to add or remove apps or themes without problems. It's not so much about updating the OS.

As to laptops... MacBook Pro. The AirMac is nice, but lacks a optical drive.
    02-25-08 04:51 AM
    Never heard of iWorks, but OpenOffice.org has a LONG (LONG) history, is fully compatible with Microsoft Office, and is also fast, stable and exceptionally reliable all-round... It is available for most operating systems, is the ONLY productivity suite that is completely compatible with Google Docs and best of all, it's completely free!

As for you other comments regard the reliability and performance of the existing BlackBerry desktop software for Apple Mac OS X, well I'd only be speculating about that as I have never even seen it, let alone used it...

I would hope however, that the software is either equal to the Microsoft Windows version, or that there are concrete plans to make it so in the immediate future - like a growing number of consumers, I will be purchasing a system powered by Mac OS X when I upgrade my computer in the near future.

By the way, slightly off-topic, the Apple MacBook ROCKS, and the Apple MacBook Pro is better still... Definately worth a look if you're after a new laptop!

02-26-08 02:53 AM
    Never heard of iWorks, but OpenOffice.org has a LONG (LONG) history, is fully compatible with Microsoft Office, and is also fast, stable and exceptionally reliable all-round... It is available for most operating systems, is the ONLY productivity suite that is completely compatible with Google Docs and best of all, it's completely free!

SNIP....
    Well you got me there, but iWorks does work with Office. When you do upgrade your system to OS X10.5 you will get a full on full function trial version of iWorks. Give it a try.
    When I got my MacBook I was thinking of getting Office for Mac. But after trying iWorks, I gave my $ to Steve J instead of Bill G.

Apple - iWork
    02-26-08 05:03 AM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD