All about compressing data-->

"Let's not mince words: any way you slice it, RIM's built-in browser for BlackBerry renders sites about as well as your $199 netbook renders Avatar. The good news is that we've got every reason to believe the company recognizes the problem and is working to solve it -- but on a completely unrelated front, they're trying to speed up the process of fetching raw data off the interwebs, too. In a patent app made public this month, RIM's lab geeks describe setting up a proxy server right on the phone that would intercept the browser's web requests and bundle, compress, and send them to a gateway on the other end (BIS, we presume) that would know how to deal with the packet. Likewise, compressed data would be sent back to the proxy, which would expand and deliver standard HTTP to the browser, just as it would normally expect. The proxy component would have other tricks up its sleeve, too, like automatically downloading and caching images in an HTML stream so that they're ready when the browser wants them. In practice, really, it'll make no difference to the end user whether all this magic is accomplished in a proxy or the browser itself -- as long as we get some thoroughly-reworked rendering capability to go along with it, of course."

RIM patent app will have you barely browsing the web at incredible speeds -- Engadget
    01-18-10 07:08 AM
    Sounds like Opera to me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-18-10 07:28 AM
    I'm glad something is going on.
    01-18-10 07:39 AM
    Sounds like Opera to me.

Actually, looking at the diagram on the engadget website, it's much more unnecessarily complex than that.

Seriously, look at this absurd monstrosity:

Compare that to the Opera Mini diagram:

Those RIM geeks are out of their minds.
    Last edited by dchawk81; 01-18-10 at 08:06 AM.
    01-18-10 08:01 AM
    As long as it works good, do whatever lol
    01-18-10 08:12 AM
    Actually, looking at the diagram on the engadget website, it's much more unnecessarily complex than that.

No it's not. It's basically the exact same thing as Opera, there isn't any more processes than Opera Mini. And actually the end result is better. You will see.
    01-18-10 08:15 AM
    Hopefully I'm wrong because it's already slow enough. The connection to my provider is fast but when you get RIM's servers involved....pfft.
    01-18-10 08:47 AM

That is exactly the same thing. RIM just used more artifacts in their graphic.
    01-18-10 09:18 AM
    Hopefully I'm wrong because it's already slow enough. The connection to my provider is fast but when you get RIM's servers involved....pfft.
    I will agree the current native browser is less than desirable at times, especially for full HTML sites. And as everyone knows a new browser is coming. And it will put BlackBerry's on par with other mobile platforms in the browsing department. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this new patent application and actually works very well. And fast....
    01-18-10 10:21 AM
    I prefer the native browser, because it works better within the OS, although Opera is getting better. Yes Opera is faster, and if this process (or something similar) comes to the native browser, I will be VERY happy.
    01-18-10 11:22 AM
    If it's faster than Opera and does flash, COOL.
    Otherwise, YAWN.

01-18-10 11:26 AM
    If they come up with a new network model, all the outages lately have demonstrated it needs to depend LESS on RIM's infrastructure, not MORE. That "single point of failure" has been failing way too much lately.
    01-18-10 12:09 PM
    How long before this becomes reality???
    01-18-10 12:20 PM
    Will this have any effect on how fast the native Facebook app receives data or are they two separate methods? I'm assuming Facebook uses push by how I receive my notifications. My issue is that it takes FOREVER to read simple photo comments or load my/someones wall.

Also any effect on Viigo? Like how fast it loads images and such? Or same idea with being a different method of obtaining data?
    01-18-10 12:39 PM
    i don't think we will be getting anything till summer.... i'm sure they will announce it in the same time frame as the 4g iphone. and will showcase it on the storm 3.
    01-18-10 12:40 PM
    No it's not. It's basically the exact same thing as Opera, there isn't any more processes than Opera Mini. And actually the end result is better. You will see.
    Am I missing something here??? This layout diagram is the same of what's happening right now! BIS/BES/NOC is already the middle man for these communications.

What we need out of RIM is a LOCAL BROWSER that works similar to the way other smartphones work (Apple, Android, Palm, etc.) What RIM and other Blackberry browser makers (i.e. OperaMini, Bolt, etc.) all work via this same principal. I was hoping RIM would get away from this BS way of communicating... it won't change a damn thing in terms of outage reliability.

Below is one of my posts from another thread, and while some of it might be off-subject here, there is an ending concept depiction which I think is interesting and can add to this discussion.

The only other possibility for this patent implementation is if RIM really is building a "locally aware and rendering browser" which would work closer to the way other smartphones work with their browsers and just like regular PCs do.

If that's the case, then this implementation is NOT for bandwidth management (not primeraly anyway), but rather for proxy control (i.e. BES policies) and for a way to encasulate (i.e. secure down) your web browsing, similar to what's happening now with the current BIS/BES browsers.
    01-18-10 05:23 PM
    This is not an absolute fix to the Blackberry browser (and no one ever said it was)... This is just one of the steps that will be taken to provide a premium browsing experience for BB users
    01-18-10 10:06 PM
    Am I missing something here??? This layout diagram is the same of what's happening right now! BIS/BES/NOC is already the middle man for these communications.

What we need out of RIM is a LOCAL BROWSER that works similar to the way other smartphones work (Apple, Android, Palm, etc.) What RIM and other Blackberry browser makers (i.e. OperaMini, Bolt, etc.) all work via this same principal. I was hoping RIM would get away from this BS way of communicating... it won't change a damn thing in terms of outage reliability.

Below is one of my posts from another thread, and while some of it might be off-subject here, there is an ending concept depiction which I think is interesting and can add to this discussion.
    Yep you're missing something. This new config is different than the current status quo and will allow for faster speeds. Here is another link:

"Posted on 01/19/10 at 9:39am by Monica Gerson

Analysts at Canaccord Adams reiterate their �buy� rating on Research In Motion Ltd (NASDAQ: RIMM). The target price for RIMM is set to $95.

Research In Motion is likely to release its new browser before May this year. Channel checks indicate that this browser will be extremely fast, taking less than three seconds to download even the heaviest websites. It will also have bandwidth advantages over other available browsers, the analysts say.

In September last year, RIMM had filed for a patent to increase the speed of internet connections on handsets using a proxy server on the device."

Crucial_Xtreme: RIMM Set To Zoom Ahead At Top Speed
    01-19-10 09:51 AM
    I was gonna type something sacastic about RIM (and the carriers) missing deadlines, BUT I thought better of it. I'll be happy when we see our first leak of this, AND VERY happy it's (faster browser that is) in the works.
    01-19-10 10:13 AM
    Im definitely digging this! I have always preferred the native browser and it will finally be as good as it should be.
    01-19-10 12:48 PM
    Will this new browser be available for current phones like the 9700?
    01-19-10 01:00 PM
    if it is really before may i will be jumping off walls
    01-19-10 01:00 PM
    Yep you're missing something. This new config is different than the current status quo and will allow for faster speeds. Here is another link:

"Posted on 01/19/10 at 9:39am by Monica Gerson

Analysts at Canaccord Adams reiterate their “buy” rating on Research In Motion Ltd (NASDAQ: RIMM). The target price for RIMM is set to $95.

Research In Motion is likely to release its new browser before May this year. Channel checks indicate that this browser will be extremely fast, taking less than three seconds to download even the heaviest websites. It will also have bandwidth advantages over other available browsers, the analysts say.

In September last year, RIMM had filed for a patent to increase the speed of internet connections on handsets using a proxy server on the device."

Crucial_Xtreme: RIMM Set To Zoom Ahead At Top Speed
    I think the question here is (regardless of speed), when BIS goes down, which is happening very frequently, will we be able to still use the browser? From these diagrams, it does not look that way.
    01-19-10 02:43 PM
    So will this be applicable to the Storm 9530? Will the webkit browser make it to the 9530 (and all of last years devices)? Or is that a Storm3 and onward thing?
    01-19-10 03:02 PM
    I think the question here is (regardless of speed), when BIS goes down, which is happening very frequently, will we be able to still use the browser? From these diagrams, it does not look that way.
    I don't see why you would be able to. Everything needs to pass through RIMs servers first, so I'm guessing this browser will work the same way.
    01-19-10 07:42 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD