Agreed Mashiro. Someone just stringing together rumors and then sprinkling in some anonymous quotes from unnamed sources.

RIM clearly has gone totally black on the S3. I'd love to know more, but after WES I don't have much hope for it being competitive at all with an iPhone HD (which it now soonfa would hit VZW around the same time or just after an S3) or an incredible or whatever the curent offerring from android is at that time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.como
    05-11-10 06:51 AM
    I really have to call BS on this article at this point...
    I'd have to agree.

And I've heard the phrase "iPhone killer" before. Anyone remember the hype around the Storm 1? We all know how that turned out. I myself have seen tons of people using the iPhone and only once seen anyone use a Storm. RIM has to focus on making an easy-to-develop-for and visually-attractive OS 6 - something other than the very mildly refreshed OS 5 that I saw running in the recent clamshell video. That's the only way to make an iPhone killer.

Heck, I'd be happy if the Storm 3 were a well-executed device, with a smooth OS and ergonomics - both physical and virtual - at launch, and solid developer buy-in.

Anyways, I'll believe it when I see it.
    05-11-10 06:54 AM
    Is it really necessary to have an iPhone killer? It did it's thing. It changed the way these companies make phones. We can see unrest in the way Apple does business, in it's stale OS (which is getting many much-needed competitive features in OS 4) and the device design. (4G looks a thousand times better than those iPod Touch's with microphones ie 2G/3G/3GS) There will be nothing in the next few years that will kill the iPhone, but eventually someone (probably an Android phone, or maybe even HP whenever they do their thing with WebOS) will make a phone that blows the iPhone out of the water and then we'll need a million and three threads on here about the next _________ killer. People thought nothing would ever outsell the Razr. Titanic was the highest grossing movie of all time. RIM ruled smartphones. Things will eventually change, and that's just the way it goes, there's no need to keep making these kinds of comparisons 3 devices after the first 'iPhone killer' came out from RIM.

I personally don't give a sh*t whether the Storm3 has a glowing red eye and hunts iPhones while using voice command to tell me to get the chopper. I just want it to work well, bring some new things to the table, and have SurePress. If there's anything to take / believe from this article, it's the improved SurePress. I seriously hope this finally shuts up all the people whining for full capacitive Storms.

All I can say is, I told you it wasn't going to happen.
    Last edited by GlitchZero; 05-11-10 at 08:08 AM.
    05-11-10 08:04 AM
    Agreed Mashiro. Someone just stringing together rumors and then sprinkling in some anonymous quotes from unnamed sources.

RIM clearly has gone totally black on the S3. I'd love to know more, but after WES I don't have much hope for it being competitive at all with an iPhone HD (which it now soonfa would hit VZW around the same time or just after an S3) or an incredible or whatever the curent offerring from android is at that time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.como
    Sadly, you've got a point, Mas. By the time RIM comes out w/ the Storm 3, it'll have the specs to go head up w/ the iPhone 3GS, HTC Hero and the like. And by the time the Storm 4 comes through, it'll have the specs to battle the near-released iPhone 4G and new Androids (Evo, Incredible)! *Sigh* It's like RIM's literally always a year behind!

I'm sure its been said before, but now its even more evident - if Apple/Android conceive some way to make their own way or concept of push email for all email avenues as fast and reliable as a BB.......then RIM's REALLY gonna have its battery pulled.....for good.
    05-11-10 09:07 AM
    An iPhone killer man i don't know how many times i've heard this one. How about they aim to kill android first. these specs don't even keep up with the current Moto Droid, and surely not the Incredible. and they expect to beat the iconic iPhone cut me a break. What will it be running that all some awesome Blackberry UI? the consumers are going to flood the streets for sure when this one comes out.
    05-11-10 09:15 AM
    Ok man. I do u know what version of google you used. Mine was full of Bold, 9700 and 9650 articles. Not one Storm article. I bet the Bold Slider is the Flagship for this year.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Lol, "what version of Google". That's a good one.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, if you do, it's most likely because you're using an old version of crackberry.

05-11-10 10:04 AM

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, if you do, it's most likely because you're using an old version of crackberry.

ROFLMAO!! You slay me Civic.

I think he was being sarcastic.

If you were being sarcastic, then I need more coffee!
    05-11-10 10:11 AM

Lol! Seriously. I laughed out loud at that one. 3 people just looked at me like I'm bi-polar and homeless. This gets my vote as one of the top 10 funniest on crackberry.

Hilarious

05-11-10 10:16 AM
    I'm no marketing genius but why in the devil is there specs released on a theoretical s4 when we don't even have an s3 yet? Talk about cart before the ox....

And an iphone killer is fine, but which iphone? Suffice it to say, if they are targeting the iphone that is out now then by the time that storm X is released it will be old hat. That's not how you stay ahead of the game.

I think I will build and market a cpu that whips the 386's a**.......

05-11-10 10:18 AM
    I hope those specification for the S4 are really for the S3... I expect the iPhone 5GSEX is going to have a built-in transporter system - no need to text or call someone, just push a button and you speak to them in person

Seriously, RIM has in the past fallen behind in the Hardware comparison - like no Wi-Fi on the S1 or only 128MB of application memory... and two months after the S2 was release the DROID came out and blew away any comparison to the "improvements" RIM had made in the STORM line.
    05-11-10 01:09 PM
    I hope those specification for the S4 are really for the S3... I expect the iPhone 5GSEX is going to have a built-in transporter system - no need to text or call someone, just push a button and you speak to them in person

Seriously, RIM has in the past fallen behind in the Hardware comparison - like no Wi-Fi on the S1 or only 128MB of application memory... and two months after the S2 was release the DROID came out and blew away any comparison to the "improvements" RIM had made in the STORM line.
    That's simply how the Androids are marketted. They sell by putting emphasis on the top end specs. It's their perk as much as push is for Blackberrys and the apps are for iphone (that is not to say it's the only thing each platforms offer).

05-11-10 01:16 PM
    Who on earth would want to speak to someone in person? That's like, human contact! No thank you that's not for me, I much prefer to text or email... Better yet I think the 5GSEX should be completely thought controlled... Why type messages on a small keypad when you can have a device that just reads your thoughts and send the message...

PG
    05-11-10 01:48 PM
    I posted this article myself in a couple of threads yesterday. Of course, it's hard to prove any reliability, but it does have at least some sound of validity, though some of the terms, such as "iPhone killer" seem like some marketing *****'s idea of razzle dazzle.

Still, I could care less if it's an "iPhone killer" or not, nor do I care if it is--or is not--better than all the other devices out there. I only care if it gives me at least a small thrill and makes me happy. I'm really unclear as to why so many seem bent on the idea that WHATEVER RIM does, it HAS to be BETTER than everything else out there. As we all know (or should know) all devices require compromise, RIM is no exception.
    05-11-10 01:57 PM
    I guess the Storm 3 is going to kill the original iPhone because that's the only think it could compete with. How many people laughed at the 3GS for having a compass as an added feature but yet RIM may be looking to put one in a device in 2011. Seriously? I hope this isn't real because it will be a fail before it even comes out. They should not be making a device in 2011 to compete with a device that came out in 2009. By 2011 Android and Apple will have another sick device that will dump on any RIM touchscreen phone. RIM, go hard or go home.
    05-11-10 02:35 PM
    I expect the iPhone 5GSEX is going to have a built-in transporter system - no need to text or call someone, just push a button and you speak to them in person :-)
    I want the new hand laser upgrade. Preferably where the trigger can be keyed to one of the convenience buttons. Problems with an ***** driver? Just whip out the storm, point, click and Zzzzzzap! Smoldering ashes.

You can keep your transporter. I want a hand held death ray.

05-11-10 03:02 PM
    The Storm3 won't kill the existing iPhone, let alone the new one coming out. RIM does not have the current platform technology to do so. Making sure the device can do OpenGL for games and apps, adding in some Webkit rendering engine capability to speed up the UI and give better browsing experience is NOT going to be killing anything that Apple has on the table right now. Their current application store is a far cry from Apple's and their pricing schemes for both consumer and developer are something to laugh at. Combine that with an app experience that's nothing more then bullisht "Super App" branding advertising and you have a mixture of false sense of usefulness. Right now, the biggest gripe from iPhone users is that of battery life. Well, a lot of that has to do with just how much an iPhone user uses the darn device. It's a well known fact that BB users use their smartphones for "quick and short" bursts while other smartphone users tend to use theirs for extended periods of time. Couple that with the fact that the majority of other smartphones have much bigger screen and faster chipset tech in them and you can see how quickly battery life can become an issue. I think anyone that's a serious Blackberry Storm (1 or 2) user will agree that battery life can be just a big an issue on that device as it is on other smartphones either iPhone or Android based.
    05-11-10 11:04 PM
    How many people laughed at the 3GS for having a compass as an added feature but yet RIM may be looking to put one in a device in 2011. Seriously? I hope this isn't real because it will be a fail before it even comes out.
    Navigation is a big feature on smartphones, and while a compass is not really required it is a helpful feature, especially for people that travel mainly by foot.

They should not be making a device in 2011 to compete with a device that came out in 2009. By 2011 Android and Apple will have another sick device that will dump on any RIM touchscreen phone. RIM, go hard or go home.
    Just read an article about how RIM is "managing" to keep their smartphone cost down and that is one reason that BB are so much in demand. Maybe they purposely buy last years technology at a discount?
    05-12-10 08:34 AM
    Navigation is a big feature on smartphones, and while a compass is not really required it is a helpful feature, especially for people that travel mainly by foot.

Just read an article about how RIM is "managing" to keep their smartphone cost down and that is one reason that BB are so much in demand. Maybe they purposely buy last years technology at a discount?
    Yes I know the benefits of a compass. My point was the fact that many blackberry users didn't understand the benefit and laughed. Now it's just funny to see how it would not feel to laugh at a feature and now the company you supports would probably be implementing in 2 years later. Yeah they probably do buy last years technology. It's just hilarious that these "new and innovative" devices will be more of the same while Apple and Google crush the consumer market. RIM needs to just stick to business. They are the best for that.
    05-12-10 10:45 AM
    The Storm3 won't kill the existing iPhone, let alone the new one coming out. RIM does not have the current platform technology to do so. Making sure the device can do OpenGL for games and apps, adding in some Webkit rendering engine capability to speed up the UI and give better browsing experience is NOT going to be killing anything that Apple has on the table right now. Their current application store is a far cry from Apple's and their pricing schemes for both consumer and developer are something to laugh at. Combine that with an app experience that's nothing more then bullisht "Super App" branding advertising and you have a mixture of false sense of usefulness. Right now, the biggest gripe from iPhone users is that of battery life. Well, a lot of that has to do with just how much an iPhone user uses the darn device. It's a well known fact that BB users use their smartphones for "quick and short" bursts while other smartphone users tend to use theirs for extended periods of time. Couple that with the fact that the majority of other smartphones have much bigger screen and faster chipset tech in them and you can see how quickly battery life can become an issue. I think anyone that's a serious Blackberry Storm (1 or 2) user will agree that battery life can be just a big an issue on that device as it is on other smartphones either iPhone or Android based.
    +10 if no single Android handset has done it yet (Nexus 1). Then I'm 200% posistive anything RIM puts out will fall not just short but FARRRRRRR away from even being close.
    05-12-10 11:02 AM
    I know everyone has and is entitled to their own opinion, but I really don't care if the Storm3 or Storm4 is going to be an iPhone killer. The iPhone means nothing to me. The phrase, "iPhone killer," presumes that the iPhone is what all touchscreen smartphones from here on out should aspire to be. I understand that it has set a standard, and in that sense I get it. But I'm not interested in owning an iPhone, so it's not what my future phones aspire to be.

Competition is great. It forces products to get better and better. In that sense I'm thankful for the iPhone, but I still don't want one. I didn't buy my Toshiba laptop because it was a MacBook killer. I bought it because it was what I wanted.

05-12-10 11:16 AM

Twas sarcasm.
    05-12-10 11:57 AM
    Well, it wasn't the Bold 9000 they were flashing on the big screen at WES during their presentation of the new OS6.
    To my way of thinking, any device (non-touchscreen) that isn't expected to make full use of all the features in the fancy new OS6, can hardly be considered the flagship device.
    Assuming the slider isn't labelled as a storm then it will end up being called a bold and that was the device that was most likely the basis for the presentation at wes.
    05-12-10 12:41 PM
    I know everyone has and is entitled to their own opinion, but I really don't care if the Storm3 or Storm4 is going to be an iPhone killer. The iPhone means nothing to me. The phrase, "iPhone killer," presumes that the iPhone is what all touchscreen smartphones from here on out should aspire to be. I understand that it has set a standard, and in that sense I get it. But I'm not interested in owning an iPhone, so it's not what my future phones aspire to be.
    It seems to be a law that anything new has to be called a something older killer by the gadget blogs, the storm 3 is not meant to be anything other than an upgrade to the storm 2 and part of rim's range of devices, the hype is from the websites that need controversy to keep up their hits.
    05-12-10 12:47 PM
    I just hope their projected date of Q3 or 4 for the Storm 3 is on target since that will coincide with my upgrade window. I still have a Storm 1 and couldn't be happier with it. It has been flawless since I bought it (after the OS upgrades) so I couldn't find any real reason to get the S2. Looking forward to OS6.

At one time I thought I'd jump to an iPhone if it came to Verizon but after getting an iPod Touch, I decided those apps "ain't all that" and I much prefer the BB platform. The Storm4 will no more be an iPhone killer than the iPhone is a BB killer. Each has its own following based on personal preference, but RIM needs to up the ante when it comes to marketing and advertising. Apple makes it look like owning an iPhone is second only to breathing. Gotta hand it to them on that count!
    Last edited by InnerChild; 05-12-10 at 03:03 PM.
    05-12-10 02:38 PM
    "Second only to breathing?" I disagree...it's BEFORE breathing and in the event breathing is needed, there's an app for that, too!

Seriously though, you are correct on Apple's marketing, it's very strong and very successful (just witness the PC guy vs. the Apple guy series that has run for a long, long time). Nobody else manages to come up with such effective ads and I'm certain that has played into their sales volume as well.

I'd continue, but since my BB does NOT have a breathing app, I need to take off.

I just hope their projected date of Q3 or 4 for the Storm 3 is on target since that will coincide with my upgrade window. I still have a Storm 1 and couldn't be happier with it. It has been flawless since I bought it (after the OS upgrades) so I couldn't find any real reason to get the S2. Looking forward to OS6.

At one time I thought I'd jump to an iPhone if it came to Verizon but after getting an iPod Touch, I decided those apps "ain't all that" and I much prefer the BB platform. The Storm4 will no more be an iPhone killer than the iPhone is a BB killer. Each has its own following based on personal preference, but RIM needs to up the ante when it comes to marketing and advertising. Apple makes it look owning an iPhone is second only to breathing. Gotta hand it to them on that count!
    05-12-10 02:47 PM
155 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD