RIM Fourth-Quarter Sales, Shipments Miss Estimates (Update1) - BusinessWeek just saw this on google. interesting reading.

Mod edit:
    RIM, which didn�t break out sales geographically in its press release, shipped 10.5 million devices in the quarter, trailing the 10.9 million estimate of Citigroup Inc. analyst Jim Suva. RIM Co-Chief Executive Officer Jim Balsillie defended the company�s North American performance on a conference call today.

�North America is doing very, very well,� said Balsillie, 49. �Don�t misconstrue something that shouldn�t be misconstrued.�

03-31-10 04:11 PM
    Good read. Im very interested in what they are working on that rivals the iPhone.
    03-31-10 04:15 PM
    I doubt it will be the slider,but you never know, this kind of competition can't be too bad, but they will need something to pick the profits up or we will see less innovation than we have now.
    Last edited by tcseacliff; 03-31-10 at 04:51 PM.
    03-31-10 04:46 PM
    This is what should be focused on...

"RIM spent 46 percent more on research last quarter..."

this is the type of information I want to know about.

Yes, Civic, I know this means they weren't putting "all that much" into dev before and the argument can be made they have been slacking, but the point remains that an increase in $ towards dev is never a bad thing.*

*i have a feeling this is a bit of info Civic would gravitate towards, hence using her name

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-31-10 05:02 PM
    Getting through the year with those kind of results isn't bad considering the economic conditions. They still have some work to do in the research department. I just wish we could know what they're working on - aside from the webkit browser.

At the very least, I hope this gets some of the more negative users here to realize the RIM knows that they have competition in the consumer market. Let's all just hope that they use the money that they're spending on research well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-31-10 06:00 PM
    Probably the screen will be epic on the slider.
    03-31-10 07:22 PM
    revenue up 35 per cent from last year and profits up nearly 30 per cent. The company also added 4.9 million subscribers. ...

Mr. Balsillie admitted the North American market is still crucial, and blamed the results on one-time “inventory" adjustments. ...
    Not bad by anybodys standards.

Off 8% in afterhours trading.... somebody is getting a deal.
    03-31-10 07:32 PM
    What is sad is that have waited this long to address the iPhone and now the Android, and only after they missed numbers. I guess if they had made the numbers they wouldn't have done a thing. They probably need to increase R&D more than 46% as they don't have too much longer I think, especially if the iPhone is opened to the CDMA providers in the US.
    03-31-10 08:06 PM
    Good read. Im very interested in what they are working on that rivals the iPhone.
    Just for the sake of discussion.... The Storm was supposed to rival the iPhone.
    03-31-10 10:08 PM
    Keep it on topic for at least a day, my friend.

This is not about any phone in particular. It's the start of a whole new year.... We got vision today.
    03-31-10 10:10 PM
    Rather than closing the other thread, can you merge threads?
    03-31-10 10:16 PM
    Rather than closing the other thread, can you merge threads?
    Sorry. We have agreed that merges are not a good option. There is no undo when thing go wrong.

We prefer to close and link to the first/most appropriate thread.
    03-31-10 10:20 PM
    Gotcha Thanks for the explanation.

So back on topic then...

Anyone else seeing a buy opportunity (with their stock) with RIM right now?
    03-31-10 10:26 PM
    In Canada, we have a tax advantage when it comes to Canadian Securities, particularly then they are held in Registered Retirement Plans.

We will pay the taxes later, for now, bring on the capital gains. No self respecting fund manger would dare be caught short in Research in Motion on their annual report.

03-31-10 10:29 PM
    Keep it on topic for at least a day, my friend.

This is not about any phone in particular. It's the start of a whole new year.... We got vision today.
    Reed, how is this not on topic? A user posted an excerpt or an understanding out of an article that RIM states they're working on something "that will rival the iPhone". I simply stated that this was once before stated when they were working on the Storm.

How is that NOT on topic?
    03-31-10 10:30 PM
    The topic is RIM News. Today is news day.

Today is all about the internal working of a complicated corporation. This quarter ends the year. The Honcos are speaking, that is news.

Fiscal 2010

The BlackBerry subscriber base increased to over 41 million users from approximately 25 million in the previous fiscal year;

• Launched a number of new devices, including the BlackBerry� Bold™ 9700, BlackBerry� Storm2™ 9520 and 9550, BlackBerry�
    Tour™, and the BlackBerry� Curve™ 8520 and 8530;

• Introduced BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES) 5.0 and BlackBerry Device Software 5.0 which offer extended capabilities to both end users and IT professionals;

• Added over 75 new carrier and distribution channel relationships for a total of approximately 550 carriers and distribution channels in 175 countries;

• Announced BES Express™ which offers basic BES features free of cost to most Microsoft Exchange users;

• BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) customers exceeded BES as a percentage of the subscriber base for the first time; and

• Common share repurchase of 12.3 million shares at a cost of $775 million during Q3.

As of February 27, 2010, RIM’s research and development team consisted of 5,614 full time employees. Research and development expense in fiscal 2010 was $964.8 million, compared to $684.7 million in fiscal 2009.
    RIM expanded its manufacturing facility in Waterloo, Ontario by 50,000 square feet in 2007 to a total of 242,000 square feet
    As of February 27, 2010, RIM had approximately 13,873* full-time employees: approximately 5,614 in the advanced research, product development, standards and licensing areas; approximately 1,683 in sales, marketing and business development; approximately 1,427 in customer care and technical support; approximately 2,178 in manufacturing and approximately 2,971 in administration, which includes information technology, BlackBerry network operations and service development, finance, legal, facilities and corporate administration
    Sales outside North America represented approximately 36.7% of the Company’s revenue in fiscal 2010.
    03-31-10 10:37 PM
    That is soooooooo old. Try again.
    04-01-10 12:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD