09-21-10 07:07 PM
    A Blackberry tablet is going to fail so hard...
    09-21-10 07:32 PM
    hope this is true and cant wait to see it in action and in person GO RIM!!!!!!
    09-21-10 07:33 PM
    Why? The iPad should have failed hard (it's crapola), but it didn't, so why would the BlackBerry? We haven't even see it yet and have no idea what it's capable of. RIM could actually have something good up their sleeve!

That said, the Samsung Galaxy Tab looks hot to me, but I don't like the idea of having to add another wireless line. That's going to be a key winning feature of the BlackBerry tablet, I think; the ability to use wi-fi or your BlackBerry's wireless connection.
    09-21-10 07:47 PM
    I'm very excited to see what RIM does with their version of a tablet. Perhaps I'll wait till they make an official announcement before I go out this weekend and pick up a new Torch
    09-21-10 07:53 PM
    i too am excited with the Surfbook..
    09-21-10 07:56 PM
    And more importantly (at least to me) in the Wall Street Journal report, basically the same article, mentions the Blackberry is to use the QNX OS for future handsets.

RIM launching tablet device at Developer Conference, BlackBerry handsets using new OS? � Boy Genius Report
    09-21-10 08:35 PM
    Why? The iPad should have failed hard (it's crapola), but it didn't, so why would the BlackBerry? We haven't even see it yet and have no idea what it's capable of. RIM could actually have something good up their sleeve!

That said, the Samsung Galaxy Tab looks hot to me, but I don't like the idea of having to add another wireless line. That's going to be a key winning feature of the BlackBerry tablet, I think; the ability to use wi-fi or your BlackBerry's wireless connection.

That is so true. My father in law won a iPad in a raffle. its a big a$$ paper weight. He is a computer programmer and is used to the way BlackBerry does multitasking. He played with the iPad for a few days and came to the conclusion that its kinda like a smartphone that can't do what 99% of smartphones do and it won't fit in his pocket. Lol he is almost 60 he don't care about games. So to him the thing is pretty useless. With my limited time with it I can't see why anyone would want one either. I think I'd take a ipod touch that fits in my pocket over on that doesn't any day.

Hopefully the BlackBerry tablet won't be the size of the iPad. I like the size of smasungs tablet much better.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-21-10 11:08 PM
    That is so true. My father in law won a iPad in a raffle. its a big a$$ paper weight. He is a computer programmer and is used to the way BlackBerry does multitasking. He played with the iPad for a few days and came to the conclusion that its kinda like a smartphone that can't do what 99% of smartphones do and it won't fit in his pocket. Lol he is almost 60 he don't care about games. So to him the thing is pretty useless. With my limited time with it I can't see why anyone would want one either. I think I'd take a ipod touch that fits in my pocket over on that doesn't any day.

Hopefully the BlackBerry tablet won't be the size of the iPad. I like the size of smasungs tablet much better.

Pack it up and send it my way. lol

The iPad currently doesn't multitask because it's still on iOS3.x, duh. When it moves to 4.2 it will multitask like the iPhone4 does. Also, the iPad wasn't made with the intention of carrying it in your pocket. It was designed with the idea of replacing your netbook or laptop with something of similar size but limited in folding bulk and input. A lot of people use them for business and you can see them in meetings with some companies as well as on TV during during news events or other things like... The US Open that just happened a couple of weeks ago. The commentators had the device on their desks during broadcasting and I'm sure it was loaded with more then just fart apps. lol

Anyway, the point is... don't compare tablets with smartphones. They are in different leagues in terms of use and needs. (why squint to see your smartphone when you can read easily on the bigger screen? etc.)

Besides, anyone who's a ST:TNG fan knows full well that you can do both homework and get mission reports on PADS (i.e. tablets).

Let's hope that RIM's incarnation has a good enough OS driving it...
    09-21-10 11:33 PM

I have a friend who buys anything and everything that Apple releases and he always makes sure he's the first. He's had every version of the iPhone, every iPod, every Mac, and I think he has three Apple TV's now. Oh yeah, and the iPad! The only time I've seen his iPad, his 4 year old daughter was using it to play games on or something, which pretty much tells me what it's good for. I have other friends who have the iPad too, and I just don't get the attraction? It just seems to me that if I'm going to carry something that big then it needs to do more and be more of a computer. And have you seen how many things you have to attach to it that should just be built in? That's the Apple way though...a gazillion cords and external devices to make things work! I'd rather carry a netbook. Looking neat just doesn't cut it for me. I think Samsung and RIM (and others) are going to hit the sweet spot in size with the 7 inch screen, since it's bigger than a phone, but can still be held in one hand. And I can't speak for the RIM device yet, but the Samsung has WAY more functionality than the iPad. And without Flash support the iPad is a dud as a web browser. That's somewhat acceptable on a phone, but on a tablet or such it's completely unacceptable, IMO.

I really hope RIM nails this one...they need it!
    09-22-10 12:21 AM
    At last things are looking up. I am pleased that this is happening as we need a new os to drive rim and bb forward. It is looking good that a tablet and a new phone will be shown at dev con, and this will be perfect timing to show competion that rim still has what it takes.
    I just hope they show this leaked new storm.

09-22-10 04:21 AM
    I think Samsung and RIM (and others) are going to hit the sweet spot in size with the 7 inch screen, since it's bigger than a phone, but can still be held in one hand. And I can't speak for the RIM device yet, but the Samsung has WAY more functionality than the iPad. And without Flash support the iPad is a dud as a web browser. That's somewhat acceptable on a phone, but on a tablet or such it's completely unacceptable, IMO.
    The sweet spot as far as size depends on how you intend to use a tablet e.g. the 6-7" kind of size is ideal on an ereader as it is close to a paperback, but for stuff like technical pdfs with diagrams, magazines, comics etc. where there isn't the scope to reflow the document then a screen the size of an ipad is a better option.

Similarly, the choice for the ratio of the screen is important depending on how you intend using the tablet with the one on the ipad being better than 16:9 for browsing and reading, but obviously being worse for most video content.
    09-22-10 05:14 AM
    I am sure RIM is greatly concerned by the searing logic and powerful analysis quoted.

I will reserve judgement on this tablet. I don't want to be disappointed like I was with the iPad - I soooo wanted that!

I won't get excited - I'll just see what develops.

09-22-10 05:16 AM
    I really don't like that Article!!

The Article says the Tablet is going to be powered by Marvell Processors, and I have not seen a whisper nor a hint that Marvell has been able to break the 1Ghz speed with the ARM architecture.

This gives me 2 fears.
    1: The Blackberry tablet will be underpowered
    2: The Blackberry tablet will be utilizing a different architecture and will be more difficult to port apps from tablet to smartphone and vis versa

I can be really hopeful and see Marvell have a 1Ghz processor which is great news for GSM BB's in 2011 as they can get the 1Ghz processor and RIM isn't changing vendors, we already know the CDMA Vendor qualcomm has broken that barrier.

I am really excited to see what they do with a Tablet, I just really hope it isn't a huge letdown!
    09-22-10 06:11 AM
    I wouldn't be so sure...

Only reason I say that is because if the rumors are true, it runs off a totally different OS, which would make sense, as they did acquire QNX a while back.

Rumors also speculate that this new OS will eventually hit Blackberry phones as a successor to OS 6.

And if rumors are true, this OS isn't the same old crap OS we've seen from Blackberry, the OS that's basically on it's dying legs in terms of its ability to innovate and impress. I say that because apparently its based on Adobe Flash.

Either way, we'll find out for sure next week during DevCon.
    09-22-10 06:34 AM

The Article says the Tablet is going to be powered by Marvell Processors, and I have not seen a whisper nor a hint that Marvell has been able to break the 1Ghz speed with the ARM architecture.

This gives me 2 fears.
    2: The Blackberry tablet will be utilizing a different architecture and will be more difficult to port apps from tablet to smartphone and vis versa

I can be really hopeful and see Marvell have a 1Ghz processor which is great news for GSM BB's in 2011 as they can get the 1Ghz processor and RIM isn't changing vendors, we already know the CDMA Vendor qualcomm has broken that barrier.

I am really excited to see what they do with a Tablet, I just really hope it isn't a huge letdown!

What would ever make you think it would NOT be underpowered. everything RIM has done in the consumer sphere has been.

09-22-10 06:55 AM

This gives me 2 fears.

Marvell has a new processor line that breaks the 1 Ghz (from 400 MHz up to 1.2 GHz) and the displays for it on the site show a pad. It is the Armada series. Looks like they support Android, and since QNX is linux like it should work on there too.

Marvell: Product Selector

I'm interested in seeing this device. Not so much because I would buy it because I don't think it will receive the type of developer support that Android and iPad will, but because I think that it will be the future OS for the phones and OS 6 is just a stopgap. Looks like Devcon will be full of announcements.

The Armada 500 series looks nice:
    The ARMADA 500 is designed for high performance consumer devices such as netbooks and smartbooks. Alongside the ARMADA 600 processor family, the ARMADA 500 series is one of the industry's first running ARM v7 instruction set.
    Key features include:

ARM v7 CPU core running up to 1.2 GHz, vector floating point (VFP) v3 and 512KB L2 cache, 1080p video decode, 16MT/s/3D graphics, WUXGA LCD resolution support, security acceleration and consumer/embedded oriented I/O's (PCIe, Gigabit Ethernet, USB 2.0, SDIO, DDR2/DDR3, S-ATA, MIPI CSI and more).
    09-22-10 06:56 AM
    I wouldn't be so sure...

Only reason I say that is because if the rumors are true, it runs off a totally different OS, which would make sense, as they did acquire QNX a while back.

Rumors also speculate that this new OS will eventually hit Blackberry phones as a successor to OS 6.

And if rumors are true, this OS isn't the same old crap OS we've seen from Blackberry, the OS that's basically on it's dying legs in terms of its ability to innovate and impress. I say that because apparently its based on Adobe Flash.

Either way, we'll find out for sure next week during DevCon.
    THANK YOU!!!!

I can't believe everyone is going on and on about the size but no one is talking about how this article is saying that the QNX OS will be unveiled at Dev Con next week. If that is the case then it will be a good week.

I don't so much care about the tablet, but I want to see where RIM is going with the OS.

09-22-10 06:59 AM
    A lot of people IV talked to say apps made for linux are very easy to use on a Unix Os. So this QnX Os has the potential to run all android market apps and keep using BlackBerry apps. If that ends up being the case think of how great it would be. If its easy for a developer to bring their android app to the BlackBerry platform you know they would. It'd be stupid not to. And that may explain why people thought it was running android back in the day. Maybe it can already run android apps the way it is.

If it can do that then they will have apps and that will help attract a lot of people to any device they make with this new Os.

09-22-10 07:02 AM
    What would ever make you think it would NOT be underpowered. everything RIM has done in the consumer sphere has been.

I disagree

The Pearl was far from Underpowered in it's day, Nor was the Strom 1, it was not underpowered at all,

it has just been in the last 12-15 months RIM has released "underpowered" devices, though that does depend on the requirements of your phone, as my Tour is not underpowered at all for my needs.

I am really hopeful RIM has found a way to speed up it's development cycle so we don't have this 12-15 month lag everything someone has a breakthrough in technology.
    09-22-10 07:20 AM
    AS LONG as it's more than just a glorified mobile phone OS such as android and iOS.

QNX needs to be more than that, it needs to be a productive tool that can be alongside a blackberry phone. if it doesn't then whats the point really.

why not just get a proper operating system on a netbook, laptop, hybrid tablet/laptop that can do that and more! some of these portable laptops come with 3g built in so thats already taking care of a lot of what the ipad and the samsung tab can do.
    09-22-10 07:24 AM
    Marvell has a new processor line that breaks the 1 Ghz (from 400 MHz up to 1.2 GHz) and the displays for it on the site show a pad. It is the Armada series. Looks like they support Android, and since QNX is linux like it should work on there too.

Marvell: Product Selector

I'm interested in seeing this device. Not so much because I would buy it because I don't think it will receive the type of developer support that Android and iPad will, but because I think that it will be the future OS for the phones and OS 6 is just a stopgap. Looks like Devcon will be full of announcements.

The Armada 500 series looks nice:

VERY nice find!

the Armada 618 looks excellent as an option for the tablet, and Storm line!
    09-22-10 07:24 AM
    i hope the qnx software that will power the tablet wont look anything like the apple ipad or the android thats seen on samsung. some differentiation would be great.

Also any move to the mobile platform would be interesting but I hope the look and feel doesn't change overly. I really like the icons and home menu quite a bit. We don't need a bunch of overly colourful icons that can be found on the samsung galaxy.
    09-22-10 07:32 AM
    I can't believe everyone is going on and on about the size but no one is talking about how this article is saying that the QNX OS will be unveiled at Dev Con next week. If that is the case then it will be a good week.

+ 1
    my thoughts exactly.. Bigger picture everyone.. look at the bigger picture.
    09-22-10 07:43 AM
    i hope the qnx software that will power the tablet wont look anything like the apple ipad or the android thats seen on samsung. some differentiation would be great.

Also any move to the mobile platform would be interesting but I hope the look and feel doesn't change overly. I really like the icons and home menu quite a bit. We don't need a bunch of overly colourful icons that can be found on the samsung galaxy.
    I hate Samsung's custom UI for their Droid phones and upcoming Droid Tablet, it looks like a wannabe iPhone.
    09-22-10 09:14 AM
96 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD