Thestreet.com is reporting that apples pad has been breached 114,000 accounts. These were accounts of top ranking officials in the army and ceo's of large companies now I say blackberry should make a tablet because it would be a lot more secure than apples. Now why don't start yelling at apple and say there behind the times when it comes to security instead of always yelling at rim!
    06-09-10 06:06 PM
    06-09-10 06:10 PM
    Yeah that's a problem but the information was taken from AT&T servers and not the iPads. Since Apple doesn't run data through it's own server like RIM, they rely on Apple to secure this information. So AT&T needs to get that together.
    06-09-10 07:54 PM
    That could of happened on any network not just at&t that's the point rim has its own servers
    06-09-10 07:57 PM
    06-09-10 08:07 PM
    That could of happened on any network not just at&t that's the point rim has its own servers
    No that's not true. You are assuming that AT&T data is as encrypted as Verizon and that's simply not the case. Every carrier has their own security encryption methods. I would guess that AT&T just didn't properly secure whatever houses the data for these specific iPads. And that's a problem. And yes we know RIM has their own servers, they are the only ones that do. Remember blackberries were primarily a business device so of course they needed their own servers to protect highly confidential information. But in this case, it's clearly AT&T's fault since the information was taken from their servers and not iPads. Since the 2 are separate, in most cases only one can be the problem. If it were RIM then obviously it would be RIM's fault since they make both the device and it runs on their servers.
    06-09-10 08:09 PM
    Ya, the data is taken directly from AT&T and somehow this is Apple's/iPad's fault or security hole?

One day some ticked off Chinese guy/gal is going to powne RIM's NOC and wake everyone up from their security high-heaven of BB. What will happen then? Maybe the world will end for some.
    06-09-10 11:16 PM
    Almost every servers around the world can be hacked. You really can't do anything.
    06-09-10 11:48 PM
    Almost every servers around the world can be hacked. You really can't do anything.
    Mine can't. I tripped over the network cable last week and haven't bothered to plug it back in yet.
    06-10-10 01:36 AM
    Mine can't. I tripped over the network cable last week and haven't bothered to plug it back in yet.
    Hahahaha. What if it's hooked up via Wi-Fi and you don't know about it?
    06-10-10 02:09 AM
    Reposted from the other thread on this:

No it hasnt happened to RIM but getting SIM info off ATT's servers is NOT device independant. They probably went, as far as we know, only after the ipad data because when users activate an ipad they have to enter personal info to pay for the data plan and re-up every month. So yes, it wouldnt happen to a BB, nor iphone, nor Android, nor WebOS device because there's no personal data associated with the SIM to steal!

Thus there is a lot more personal data tied to the SIM of an ipad, but dont think for a minute getting the ICC IDS isnt possible for any other device; its just basically useless and the ipad devices had the email address attached to it for the "pre-pay data" function.

And in the end REALLY what did these hackers get? ATT stated: "AT&T was informed by a business customer on Monday of the potential exposure of their iPad ICC IDS. The only information that can be derived from the ICC IDS is the e-mail address attached to that device."

OK, so your email address? At best you might get some Spam and can block those email addresses (filter). Its not as major as the media blows it up to be. No one got your Name, address, CC info, etc. Let's keep this in perspective here.

And yes ATT is to blame, but people are quick to forget the VZW and Sprint fiascoes of the past 5-8 years or so with WAY more sensitive customer data. VZW was selling off all of your TRUE personal data to I believe marketing firms, etc and on Sprint you could get all a user's TRUE personal data (full name, address, and other vital info) by knowing their cell # and popping it into the upgrade eligibility checker.

Here at best they may have gotten your email address, and only for a small percentage of customers unlike the other carrier exploits above which were for any customer they had.
    06-10-10 02:52 AM
    The ONLY total security is physical security.

If it is connected to the web, it can be hacked.

Some thing just take a bit longer to get into.
    06-10-10 03:41 AM
    Another thing to keep in mind. As always, people are sometimes their own worst security breach. One thing that helped these hackers is people posting their info screens on the internet, (exuberant, innocent, and ignorant) which helped them guess at those 114,000 ICC-ID numbers.

So, if a bunch of people post their credit card #'s on the internet, then get punked, is it Mastercards fault? Visas? Amex?
    06-10-10 03:24 PM
    114,000 accounts hacked tho? Safe to say the ipad wasn't all its cracked up to be!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-10-10 08:50 PM
    114,000 accounts hacked tho? Safe to say the ipad wasn't all its cracked up to be!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Again, it had nothing to do with the device, no devices were breached. Its the enrollment method with ATT to get data where you have to submit your name, email address, etc which was taken off ATT's servers.

It couldve easily been any device, it was just the enrollment method giving your email address. Has nothing to do with what device it was per say. It couldve been ANY device, even a BB, if buying data was the same method as the ipad.
    06-10-10 10:12 PM
    If it is connected to the web, it can be hacked.
    As much as I know this was not Apples fault and the info was breached at AT&T, I have never heard of Blackberry/RIM being hacked and it surely is connected to the web.

Our government and our business trusts RIM for a reason
    06-13-10 09:12 AM
    As much as I know this was not Apples fault and the info was breached at AT&T, I have never heard of Blackberry/RIM being hacked and it surely is connected to the web.

Our government and our business trusts RIM for a reason
    Just because it hasn't been done doesn't mean it can't be done. But yes, nobody has done it yet.
    06-13-10 12:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD