Here's some instructions as to how to remove OS version 4.5 from your phone and from your PC if you have had a bad experience with the new OS.

Install Desktop Manager (you probably have this anyway) from https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...93E4F3BB068C22. Install this filename: Desktop Software v4.3 b25 without Media Manager (English).exe.

Go to Windows XP Start, Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs and scroll down to 'Blackberry device software v4.5.0 for the Blackberry xxxx smartphone' and click remove. OS 4.5 will now be completely erased from your PC.

Now download and install the latest Operating system for your phone from here BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites and select your carrier and phone.
    Install this software and once it is installed, open up Explorer and go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader and delete the file Vendor.xml.

Launch Desktop Manager and connect you Blackberry to a USB port that is connected directly to the PC. It is better not to connect via a USB hub. The downgrade should begin automatically but if it does not, launch the Application Loader and that should do the trick.

The downgrade installation will now start and you should allow about 1 hour for it to complete. There will be a long stressful time when the screen is white and an hourglass just sits there turning - Don't Panic. This is mostly harmless and will ultimately return you to your old OS in time.
    Last edited by Pete6; 06-14-08 at 02:26 AM.
    06-14-08 02:11 AM
    Why the one with no multimedia?
    06-14-08 07:18 AM
    has anyone had problems with the 4.5 O/S. I D/L but cant get it to install?
    06-14-08 07:26 AM
    Why the one with no multimedia?
    Because it causes less problems on your PC and if you have done a complete uninstall out of frustration, then I figured that not having Roxio was a good idea in this situation.
    06-14-08 07:33 AM
    has anyone had problems with the 4.5 O/S. I D/L but cant get it to install?
    Have a look at this thread http://forums.crackberry.com/f40/off...04/index5.html and look at my big long post. Maybe it'll help you.
    06-14-08 07:36 AM
    Great instructions Pete.
    Will come in handy to be sure.
    06-14-08 08:15 AM
    where can I find a list of the new features of the 4.5 os?
    06-14-08 08:47 AM
    where can I find a list of the new features of the 4.5 os?
    Forum Search.
    06-14-08 09:20 AM
    Thanks. Also, is the Vodaphone 4.5 ok to d/l on at&t 8310? I don't know much about updating.
    06-14-08 09:40 AM
    Thanks. Also, is the Vodaphone 4.5 ok to d/l on at&t 8310? I don't know much about updating.
    From a technical "Will it work?" standpoint, the answer is yes, it will.

Read my post here http://forums.crackberry.com/f40/off...04/index5.html (it's the big long one) to learn how to succesfully install 4.5.

If your phone is under warranty from a carrier, then you may wish to hold off until AT&T release their version of the software. AT&T are fully aware of the new Operating System and if they have not yet released it, it is for their own reasons. Because of this they will certainly not support you or your phone should you have any kind of problem whilst running the new OS. It could even invalidate your warranty entirely.

I have an AT&T 8310 which I bought on ebay and it runs perfectly.

If you need more help, just ask.
    06-14-08 09:48 AM
    Thanks, I'll check out your post. I only have a few months of warranty left anyway. I may try the download.
    06-14-08 10:04 AM
    Okay, I just did not want you, with maybe a brand new phone (5 posts) going off and installing an unsupported (for AT&T) OS and then having a bunch of unexpected problemos.
    06-14-08 10:10 AM
    Download went great, only took about 25 min. No problems so far other than I can't get video from CNN anymore. All apps transferred. Music and videos are still on media card. Pleased so far. Thanks for your help.
    06-14-08 08:17 PM
    does OSv4.5 work for blackberry 8830? when i try to download it say cannot download because it does not have a required file. Help me out
    06-16-08 09:41 AM
    Okay, I just did not want you, with maybe a brand new phone (5 posts) going off and installing an unsupported (for AT&T) OS and then having a bunch of unexpected problemos.
    "unsupported" lol.... AT&T's "official" release any day now will be virtually no different than the .42 release that is floating around right now. they may even go with the .37 release (because they are morons). they will NOT put some magical last minute official touch on it in case you were wondering.
    06-16-08 10:00 AM
    "unsupported" lol.... AT&T's "official" release any day now will be virtually no different than the .42 release that is floating around right now. they may even go with the .37 release (because they are morons). they will NOT put some magical last minute official touch on it in case you were wondering.
    By 'unsupported' I point out that if you install an OS that is nt released by your carrier who has given you a subsidised phone then, in the evnt of a problem, the carrier may well refuse you warranty work just because you have a later OS release than their 'approved' OS release.

Given my, and other people's experiences with both .37 and .42, it may be that other carriers hod on for a while before they release 4.5. 4.5 is bigber (uses more memory) than 4.2, it stall has memory leak problems too. Both my phones (8100 and 8310) have rebooted in the middle of calls.

I am now back on 4.2.2.194 on my 8310
    Last edited by Pete6; 06-16-08 at 12:24 PM.
    06-16-08 12:19 PM
    i have been running .42 for about 10 days now and i have not had a single reboot or freeze. zero memory leak. for that matter, i have not had the first issue period.

i say this to remind all that most problems that people allege have more to do with 3rd party apps compatibility with the OS, and not with the OS itself. and yes i have a number of 3rd party apps - its just a matter of knowing which ones cause problems and which ones do not.
    06-16-08 01:20 PM
    I think that you are partially right. I have DocsToGo, Empower, Beamberry, Google Maps and that's it. I don't use IM, Yahoo or othe programs. The only thing I do is to use my Blackberry as a phone and as a mobile office.

I am not sure what is going on here. I have massive experience with computers, telecoms, phones and Operating Systems.

I have also just about had it with this phone. If the AT&T release, when it comes out does not fix this, I shall simply sell my Blackberry and biu something that does less but works.
    06-16-08 01:43 PM
    My biggest fear happened!! Well transfering/downgrading to 4.2 every contact in my address book Vanished!!! Is there any solutions? Please help.
    06-17-08 10:54 AM
    My biggest fear happened!! Well transfering/downgrading to 4.2 every contact in my address book Vanished!!! Is there any solutions? Please help.
    i have made the transition from 4.5 back to 4.2 many times, but only after moving to 4.5.0.42 did i experience this as well! I have not discovered a solution. I would imagine its simply that 4.5 handles contacts/calendar entries differently and the backup program is not designed to handle downgrading OS's....
    06-17-08 02:45 PM
    This happened to me as well when I downgraded back to 4.2.2.194. I also lost all my calendar entries. But they were both synchronized with Outlook, so I just synched it again and all was good.
    06-17-08 03:45 PM
    I would seem that a 4.5 when doen for an OS upgrade is incompatible with a 4.2.2 restore.

I have done numerous (about 30) upgrades and downgrades form 4.2.2. <-> 4.5 and I can conclusively say that the problems relating to re-boots and whatnot do not relate to applications installed. They are without doubt due to the OS. Several of the phones I upgrades had no non-RIM, non-4.5 applications installed and they still had problems from spontaneous re-bbots to leaking memory to signal drop outs.

This applies as far as I can see to the 8100, 8110, 8300 and 8310 models.

This also applies to 4.5.0.10, 18, 37 and 42 which I have instaklked in full and minimal memory configurations sevreal times each on my to phones and on those of colleagues. Equally problems occur on BIS and BES installations.

4.5 is not completely stable across all hardware.

I believe that the Vodafone, Germany release of 4.5.0.37 was a mistake.

This OS is full of bugs which is why I wrote this thread.

It worked perfectly on about 3 of the phones I upgraded and the rest had problems. If it works for you, then be happy because you are a minority - don't get rid of your phone - your one works.
    Last edited by Pete6; 06-17-08 at 05:53 PM.
    06-17-08 04:49 PM
    I ran 4.5.0.37 for two days and it worked pretty well except Yahoo Go didn't work right and Mobile GMaps worked at first then disappeared. Obviously 4.5 still has some bugs so I'm going back to 4.2.2.194 now.
    06-20-08 10:52 PM
    Quite right too. This is everybody's big fear. The data is more important than the device imo, even though the device is expensive.

I always sync befre messing with the OS. That way even if the Backup/Restore does not work all I have to do is sync again and I get my Addreess Book, Calendar, etc. back again. The email copies on the phone are nice but it's my Adress Book that keeps me in biz.

Maybe a sync will help you too.

If you still have the Backup file that was saved during the backup process then there is still hope. PM me if you need help with this.
    Last edited by Pete6; 06-23-08 at 07:10 PM.
    06-23-08 07:08 PM
    Thank for this post it was very very useful for a bb newbie such as myself

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-25-08 12:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD