So the rumored BIS update won't do native 2-way mail sync? That sucks.
    11-26-09 04:32 PM
    If RIM could make it so that they could sync and push OTA mail/contacts/calendar from the major services like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail. Then throw in the same for almost any business-type email account (not everyone is running Exchange!) like Zimbra for example... all on BIS. Plus provide some basic features like viewing folders. They'd have a killer product on their hands.

Android, iPhone and Winmo couldn't touch them.

Everyone knows RIM for their push email, I can go signup for a free email account from blah_blah_mail.com and have it pushed instantly and reliably to my BB. But unfortunately that's where it ends. Get into syncing, viewing folders, moving mail around, etc and it's a no go.
    11-26-09 07:58 PM
    So the rumored BIS update won't do native 2-way mail sync? That sucks.
    Huh? Absolutely it will do two-way sync when it's upgraded...it's NOW that it only does one-way (device to mailbox). Here's a link to the enhancements for 3.0 and 3.1 that you can find on probably 10 different places...I just picked this one so you could see:

BIS 3.0 Coming in March 2010? | Berry Reporter
    11-26-09 08:53 PM
    Huh? Absolutely it will do two-way sync when it's upgraded...it's NOW that it only does one-way (device to mailbox). Here's a link to the enhancements for 3.0 and 3.1 that you can find on probably 10 different places...I just picked this one so you could see:

BIS 3.0 Coming in March 2010? | Berry Reporter
    Well read that again..... 3.0 is anticipated to improve the "Gmail plugin" which I don't use. My comment was about native gmail-BIS.
    11-27-09 07:09 AM
    Well read that again..... 3.0 is anticipated to improve the "Gmail plugin" which I don't use. My comment was about native gmail-BIS.
    Ah...missed that. You'd think they'd get it right for regular BIS IMAP accounts even before Gmail IMAP accounts.
    11-27-09 07:26 AM
    Sorry, but that's just not correct. I love the native Google mobile app for BB, and though it's ALMOST perfect...it does NOT support HTML email, which I need for some things in the email I get. The enhanced gmail plugin supports this. I use them both, the Plugin with BIS email for composing and receiving and the Gmail app for stars, labels, archiving, etc.

Regarding OTA syncing of Google calendar and contacts...Google Sync for BlackBerry works flawlessly (except it doesn't yet support birthdays and anniversaries, which I can live without on my BB). What about Google Sync for BlackBerry isn't working for you? It's not only OTA, but instant push in both directions.

What RIM is going to add in the new BIS 3.0 and 3.1 are these same push sync items so we won't have to use the Google Sync for BlackBerry app.
    How is Google sync app push? In your next post you state that you can't have push. As far as I know with BIS 2.6 and certain OS 5 (like 5.0.0.314 and above on bold) you can get push for contacts (tried it and works for me on Rogers) and gmail push and items marked as read or deleted on either the BlackBerry or web interface is reflected on the other (also works for me).
    As for the sync app it does contacts and/or calendar but is not push. You can have it do a sync anytime you make a change on your BlackBerry, but any changes you make on the web interface are not reflected on the BlackBerry until the you make a change on your contacts or calendar on your BlackBerry and the sync app does a sync with Google.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-27-09 02:07 PM
    How is Google sync app push? In your next post you state that you can't have push. As far as I know with BIS 2.6 and certain OS 5 (like 5.0.0.314 and above on bold) you can get push for contacts (tried it and works for me on Rogers) and gmail push and items marked as read or deleted on either the BlackBerry or web interface is reflected on the other (also works for me).
    As for the sync app it does contacts and/or calendar but is not push. You can have it do a sync anytime you make a change on your BlackBerry, but any changes you make on the web interface are not reflected on the BlackBerry until the you make a change on your contacts or calendar on your BlackBerry and the sync app does a sync with Google.

I can't speak for OS 5.0 at all, but if you install Google Sync (from Google Sync on your mobile phone) you'll get your Google Calendar synched automatically to/from your BB...I've been doing it since Google Sync first launched. But in RIM's own words "Gmail" and even with the Enhanced Gmail Plugin and the current BIS is a ONE-way sync only...there are hundreds of forum comments about this all over the internet.

That said, while Google Sync syncs your Google Contacts, it leaves out birthdays and anniversaries (and a few other things). The only things that arrive on your BB are the primary fields like name, email, phone, and also notes.

I've actually given up on it over the past few days and do it all a different way, which won't work for anyone unless they use a Mac. But I know have my BB in perfect sync with Google Contacts, Mac Address Book, (not with it's built-in tool, either, which is equally as bad), and iCal.

I do believe that the Enhanced Gmail Plugin and BIS v3.0 will give us correct two-way sync of everything "Google" between Gmail, Contacts, and Calendar on the BB and Google. Of course, there are many folks (who don't use Google products) who'll still be (rightfully) complaining this leaves them without two way sync on BIS 3.0. Me...I'll be happy.
    Last edited by LarryMcJ; 11-27-09 at 02:55 PM.
    11-27-09 02:51 PM
    I can't speak for OS 5.0 at all, but if you install Google Sync (from Google Sync on your mobile phone) you'll get your Google Calendar synched automatically to/from your BB...I've been doing it since Google Sync first launched.

That said, while it also syncs your Google Contacts, it leaves out birthdays and anniversaries (and a few other things). The only things that arrive on your BB are the primary fields like name, email, phone, and also notes.

I've actually given up on it over the past few days and do it all a different way, which won't work for anyone unless they use a Mac. But I know have my BB in perfect sync with Google Contacts, Mac Address Book, (not with it's built-in tool, either, which is equally as bad), and iCal.

I do believe that the Enhanced Gmail Plugin and BIS v3.0 will give us correct two-way sync of everything "Google" between Gmail, Contacts, and Calendar on the BB and Google. Of course, there are many folks (who don't use Google products) who'll still be (rightfully) complaining this leaves them without two way sync on BIS 3.0. Me...I'll be happy.
    My sync app did it automatically too. That's not push. That is the point I'm trying to make. Push would send out the contact or calendar event to the BlackBerry without the google sync app sending a request to be updated first.

11-27-09 02:56 PM
    Well, if getting it on my BB within a minute isn't Push...it's pretty darned close. You can configure Google Sync for "Automatic" (nearly instant) or for intervals. If I added an event to Google Calendar when I was using it I had it on my BB almost instantaneously. I realize that still isn't technically "push" but come on :-)
    11-27-09 03:02 PM
    I'll state it again...... the rumored BIS update does not mention 2-way email sync without using the enhanced gmail plugin. I use the google sync app and it works perfectly. Do I really care if the calendar/contacts get sync'd instantly? Not really. Meeting requests via BIS aren't that good either. Now maybe RIM will require all gmail users to use the plugin in the future for instant push...... that's another story.
    11-27-09 05:49 PM
    I'll state it again...... the rumored BIS update does not mention 2-way email sync without using the enhanced gmail plugin. I use the google sync app and it works perfectly. Do I really care if the calendar/contacts get sync'd instantly? Not really. Meeting requests via BIS aren't that good either. Now maybe RIM will require all gmail users to use the plugin in the future for instant push...... that's another story.
    I hope you're saying this for someone else's benefit :-) I heard you the first time and my comment then was:

"Ah...missed that. You'd think they'd get it right for regular BIS IMAP accounts even before Gmail IMAP accounts."
    11-27-09 05:57 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD