DreamBerry: RIM Should Add Push to Talk Features to BBM - BerryReview

Is this the future for RIM, makes since to me. It feels like time to have the next explosion of inovation.....
    06-08-11 10:31 AM
    I can't see this succeeding, it failed on Verizon and it was once a fad on Nextel.
    06-08-11 10:44 AM
    No one cares about push to talk. And if you wanted to talk to your BBM contacts you would actually talk to them LOL.
    06-08-11 10:44 AM
    Messaging is where it's at--not talking. Talking seems so intrusive now that we have the ability to time-shift our communications, be it for a few seconds, or even hours.
    06-08-11 11:05 AM
    No one cares about push to talk. And if you wanted to talk to your BBM contacts you would actually talk to them LOL.
    LOL, ya. just a little thing called long distance charges!!
    06-08-11 11:43 AM
    I can't see this succeeding, it failed on Verizon and it was once a fad on Nextel.
    I read the article as saying; bypassing the carriers... If its possible, it would be big.
    06-08-11 11:45 AM
    Hummm, like I really want everyone around me listening to both sides of my conversations that aren't work related. No thank you.
    scorpiodsu and Marc_Paradise like this.
    06-08-11 12:07 PM
    it's coming - summer 2011
    06-08-11 12:09 PM
    LOL, ya. just a little thing called long distance charges!!
    If you have a cell phone with BBM, then you probably don't worry much about long distance charges, at least in the US. As for international, again I don't think people really are interested in "chirping" people. If they really want to have a convo they actually talk. Otherwise like Dave said, messaging is becoming more and more each day the preferred way of communicating with our closest of friends regardless of location. Because it allows us to have a conversation with them while doing other things at the same time.
    06-08-11 12:19 PM
    Hummm, like I really want everyone around me listening to both sides of my conversations that aren't work related. No thank you.
    Exactly. I remember when Sprint came out with the "chirping" and me and my friends we psyched to use it until we found out how obtrusive it was and your phone would just burst out with someone talking in a quiet place. Either that or you have to constantly switch it on an off to avoid that. Too inconvenient. I mean it can't hurt to have it but at the end of the day it's nothing that would entice people.

Sidenote: Chirping has been out for a long time and if RIM implemented it into their platform, would that be considered copying? Since everyone apparently calls apple a copycat now because they take an existing technology, implement it and make it easier. I'm sure BB faithful would object to that notion
    06-08-11 12:23 PM
    I read the article as saying; bypassing the carriers... If its possible, it would be big.
    Push to talk had it's day in the sun. Welcome to the 90's.
    06-08-11 12:31 PM
    Personal, consumer-level PTT needs to die in a fire. HATE, with extreme vitriolic prejudice and loathing. First thing I removed from my 8300. I once rousted a [French for "shower"]bag out of our pub for carrying on a loud, profane PTT conversation with a friend during trivia. Inconsiderate twatwaddle.

Oh, and by the way, you can already send voice notes over BBM...and reply to them.
    06-08-11 12:36 PM
    If you have a cell phone with BBM, then you probably don't worry much about long distance charges, at least in the US. As for international, again I don't think people really are interested in "chirping" people. If they really want to have a convo they actually talk. Otherwise like Dave said, messaging is becoming more and more each day the preferred way of communicating with our closest of friends regardless of location. Because it allows us to have a conversation with them while doing other things at the same time.
    I think another issue is that more people are able to communicate via written messages, than speech, if they are from other countries, even if they use the same language.

For instance, I worked with people from Chile, Mexico, and Spain at one company. They all wrote and spoke Spanish (they also knew English). However, each person said the dialect of Spanish is a lot different in each of those countries. It was actually amusing to hear someone from one country say how atrocious he or she found the Spanish spoken by a person from a different country.
    06-08-11 12:40 PM
    I think another issue is that more people are able to communicate via written messages, than speech, if they are from other countries, even if they use the same language.

For instance, I worked with people from Chile, Mexico, and Spain at one company. They all wrote and spoke Spanish (they also knew English). However, each person said the dialect of Spanish is a lot different in each of those countries. It was actually amusing to hear someone from one country say how atrocious he or she found the Spanish spoken by a person from a different country.
    Yeah people don't want to talk anymore.
    06-08-11 01:27 PM
    If it does come out, it will not be that big....

And if it does i have no need for it. BBM, SMS, email for me. No need to use voice...

I am mute more often then non
    scorpiodsu and AbuYazeedUK like this.
    06-08-11 01:30 PM
    agreed!
    Push to talk is a STUPID idea! clarity is always poor, intrusion into the public is rampant, voicenotes + phone calls + text with proper notification systems if a FAR better use of resources than Push to talk!

They would be better to develop a BBM addon that created a Group with specific functioned geared to markets that Push to Talk is used, dispatching, construction, building in a text to voice feature into BBM might also be useful, but man It would tick me off in public

// Side note I had the misfortune of riding in the airport shuttle this morning with a person using Push to talk trying to coordinate with coworkers where at the airport they would be meeting!! txting would be FAR FAR superior and I wouldn't have had to hear their 15 minute conversation filling the van!
    1812dave likes this.
    06-08-11 01:48 PM
    agreed!
    Push to talk is a STUPID idea! clarity is always poor, intrusion into the public is rampant, voicenotes + phone calls + text with proper notification systems if a FAR better use of resources than Push to talk!

They would be better to develop a BBM addon that created a Group with specific functioned geared to markets that Push to Talk is used, dispatching, construction, building in a text to voice feature into BBM might also be useful, but man It would tick me off in public

// Side note I had the misfortune of riding in the airport shuttle this morning with a person using Push to talk trying to coordinate with coworkers where at the airport they would be meeting!! txting would be FAR FAR superior and I wouldn't have had to hear their 15 minute conversation filling the van!
    Exactly. Asking the person "what did you say?" after every other sentence would be annoying. I mean people don't want to walk around and act like they are on walkie talkies.
    1812dave likes this.
    06-08-11 01:53 PM
    Well I don't think its really that bad to have. I had hundreds of guests who asked for it, but no options for it anymore. Its very useful when people want to talk to someone from long-distance, with really no charge.
    ... Some people still like to talk with their friends and loved ones, without doubling their bill.
    EDIT: I forgot about wifi calling...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Venichie; 06-08-11 at 02:46 PM.
    06-08-11 02:43 PM
    Well I don't think its really that bad to have. I had hundreds of guests who asked for it, but no options for it anymore. Its very useful when people want to talk to someone from long-distance, with really no charge.
    ... Some people still like to talk with their friends and loved ones, without doubling their bill.
    EDIT: I forgot about wifi calling...

Again, in the US who is paying long distance charges anymore? If both are using cell phones, what carrier is charging long distance charges? And who knows if chirping international would be free.
    06-08-11 02:56 PM
    I haven't had a land line for 10 years, since there was no long distance charges on my Cingular plan...it's really not an issue anymore. Why pay extra on your monthly bill for the added ability to area-effect annoy people even more?

PTT is appropriate for dispatched vehicular service, taxis, construction crews, couriers, etc. Your average everyday person should just frakking call people on the phone if they want to talk. If I'm at home, or don't have my headset, or I'm in a place where it won't bother, I just use the speakerphone, which is a function I'm fairly certain every phone has at this point.

The only thing more annoying than hearing one side of a loud obnoxious phone conversation is hearing BOTH sides of it, interrupted at regular intervals by shockingly loud *BEEDEEDEEP!*s.

JMO, FWIW, YMMV, OMGWTFPTT DIAF
    [/soapbox]
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    06-08-11 03:40 PM
    I had PTT on Nextel back in the day and for me it was great. Being an Architect and being able to contact electricians, plumbers or carpenters on a construction site was great. The walkie talkie experience was great in my scenario. I recall it being annoying when people did not use the profiles like we have on the BlackBerry. Actually I miss that old Motorola, that thing had a battery that lasted, was tough as nails and had a vibrate (that worked) then ring mode that was awesome. I also liked the built in reminder of missed messages.

And now that I do quite a bit of networking and such, it would be cool to have it when working with my people in a large install. Oh well, I am a walking anachronism.

06-08-11 09:51 PM
    See, piney, you have justifiable use of it. The average schmoe on the street does not.
    06-09-11 07:00 AM
    I had PTT on Nextel back in the day and for me it was great. Being an Architect and being able to contact electricians, plumbers or carpenters on a construction site was great. The walkie talkie experience was great in my scenario. I recall it being annoying when people did not use the profiles like we have on the BlackBerry. Actually I miss that old Motorola, that thing had a battery that lasted, was tough as nails and had a vibrate (that worked) then ring mode that was awesome. I also liked the built in reminder of missed messages.

And now that I do quite a bit of networking and such, it would be cool to have it when working with my people in a large install. Oh well, I am a walking anachronism.

I don't think anyone would disagree that having walkie talkie capabilities is not useful for some profession and in certain instances. After all, walkie talkies are still being used. But for the majority of people, I would think this is something that people don't care about. If they did it would not have died years ago.
    06-09-11 08:46 AM
    We tried it as first responders with Verizon service and it was terrible.
    06-09-11 09:06 AM
    I think you guys are looking at this in too limited a way. Why not think of this as "a way to talk to someone without having to know their telephone number". Why shouldn't simply be able to click on a contact on my BBM list and talk to them? Why do I have to know their phone number and dial them, or go to video chat, or go to the text-messages app and message them?
    06-09-11 09:50 AM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD