Patent law is pretty straight forward. If you own the patent, you own the technology. Period.

I highly suggest you don't try and run a business if you are going to be more concerned about what is best for the consumer then what is best for you're company.
    03-04-10 08:09 AM
    Can anyone post proof that apple owns the technology that they are claiming to have ?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-04-10 08:54 AM
    Can anyone post proof that apple owns the technology that they are claiming to have ?

I cannot but I highly doubt they would or even could sue someone if they didn't
    03-04-10 09:46 AM

Apple / HTC Delaware filing - Engadget Galleries

Apple / HTC ITC filing - Engadget Galleries

Its a lot of reading but have at it
    03-04-10 09:46 AM
    I can understand you favor Apple, but if we are talking about unlocking gestures then LG should sue Apple. The LG prada introduced the swiping to unlock gesture that the iPhony so conveniently copied and claimed its own. Just like apple announced they "invented" copy and paste for the iphony....... Apple is just a sore little b�tch that is jealous when it doesn't get its way

It's not about who brings it out first, it's about who owns the patent.

03-04-10 11:13 AM
    I cannot but I highly doubt they would or even could sue someone if they didn't
    The idea they are suing over PHYSICAL hardware i can agree with. If HTC used the same parts that Apple is using... okay fine what ever

but

This is the idea they are suing over a software feature. Apple really doesn't have a leg to stand on. the coding is different. the same software codes that make the apple do what it does it different than that of HTC's...

you can copyright software coding, granted. but if HTC is using different coding than apples it's really not a A:A match is a A:A1 match.... doesn't stack up.

Last edited by mjneid; 03-04-10 at 11:37 AM.
    03-04-10 11:32 AM
    Yea I agree just because it does the same thing doesn't mean it uses the same code. Unless Apple patent all the codes.

The idea they are suing over PHYSICAL hardware i can agree with. If HTC used the same parts that Apple is using... okay fine what ever

but

This is the idea they are suing over a software feature. Apple really doesn't have a leg to stand on. the coding is different. the same software codes that make the apple do what it does it different than that of HTC's...

you can copyright software coding, granted. but if HTC is using different coding than apples it's really not a A:A match is a A:A1 match.... doesn't stack up.

03-04-10 12:58 PM
    isn't nokia suing apple for mobile patent infringements? i understand apples case. smart for them. if the judge gets htc with enough patents they will either have to discontinue the phones or pay royalities to use it. if apple gets their way they can make htc unavailable in the US and kill off the competition from android for some time until android gets new phones that dont abuse any patents.

personally i think this was launched because google is working their buts off with the OS (version 2.1 is being worked on atm) so mindaswell crush the phone maker to give apple some time to either a)upgrade the phone (which i heard the new version will have an improved OS) or something... anyone have a full list of all the 'copied' patents? i've only read about 3 of them
    03-04-10 01:20 PM
    The problem is that intellectual property laws can be quite complex. In this instance, they have to prove that there was an "inventive step" that could not be extrapolated by someone who had knowledge or used similar products and who had at least a working knowledge of that technology. That's a high level of proof.
    03-04-10 01:25 PM
    I don't know enough about patent laws to comment anymore about the topic.

But if Apple is right in this case the good for them and they should sue HTC.

If they are wrong in this case then thats good too. HTC won't be affected and apple will have spent a lot of money for nothing.

That's why they go to court.
    03-04-10 01:58 PM
    Apple vs HTC: a patent breakdown - Engadget

most of the patents were granted in the past year, but overall they span a range from 1995 to February 2. ...

here are the takeaways: as of right now, it's impossible to predict what's going to happen in this case -- Apple and HTC could settle tomorrow, or it could turn into a ten year courtroom monster. But what we do know is that Apple's specifically gone after HTC's Android devices, and it's organized its attack very carefully: it's gone before the ITC with a collection of older patents on very deep OS-level functionality, which traditionally would be considered stronger patents, and it's gone before the federal court with a different set of patents that include some very new claims on user interface features. ...
    Engadget has listed the 20 patents involved.
    03-04-10 01:59 PM
    Apple vs HTC: a patent breakdown - Engadget

Engadget has listed the 20 patents involved.
    Thank kind sir.

and from reading that i looks like they are wanting to shut Android down completely.

i guess they are a tad scared.
    03-04-10 02:43 PM
    Way too broad...this is bs. I don't think it'll hold.
    03-04-10 02:53 PM
    Morality? lol

I didnt know patent law involved morality, its WHO OWNS THE PATENT. PERIOD.

What you feel about it means zip zilch nodda. Its who owns the patents and the rights to the technology. There's no one to feel bad for these are 2 corporations who knew what they were doing, not a mother of 2 fallen into hard times....
    Moral rights of the author are independent of copyright. They are
    personal to the author and cannot be assignned but may be waived in whole or part. They can also be administered by an agent on the author's behalf
    03-04-10 03:38 PM
    I think its funny that everyone thinks HTC is weak. Think again. Take a look at the company's statistics. They are a force to be reckoned with on their own let alone when Google gets involved.

This should be a fun battle to watch.

03-06-10 04:41 AM
    I think its funny that everyone thinks HTC is weak. Think again. Take a look at the company's statistics. They are a force to be reckoned with on their own let alone when Google gets involved.

This should be a fun battle to watch.

HTC as a company is not weak at all. What people are referring to is their stash of patents. usually in cases like this a Stronger company like a Palm or Research In Motion have a plethora, of patents to say ok here's a counter lawsuit because your using this. Well HTC doesn't have that strong of an argument in US courts. This is why people are calling HTC weak, or should be the reason why they are calling them weak.
    03-06-10 10:34 PM
    Moral rights of the author are independent of copyright. They are
    personal to the author and cannot be assignned but may be waived in whole or part. They can also be administered by an agent on the author's behalf
    And thats great and all but has nothing to do with litigation of patents.
    03-06-10 11:31 PM
    If there is any justice in the world, the end result of this will be apple losing the patents they took out on ideas stolen from others and nothing else. Nothing against their products, I own many, but the behavior of the company towards it's customers and competitors is assinine.
    03-07-10 12:09 PM
    and you think Apple is the only one who does that? Try most companies in the world have used at least one idea from someone else, which is technically their intellectual property.

Doesnt look like only Apple to me fighting over patents for "borrowed" ideas

I guess everyone should just lose their patents then by that logic and wed never see any new technology.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 03-07-10 at 01:01 PM.
    03-07-10 12:56 PM
    Does anybody remember how Microsoft stole windows from Apple? Industrial espionage still happens. Everybody has the right to protect what's theirs. Let the courts decide.

03-08-10 03:47 AM
    Does anybody remember how Microsoft stole windows from Apple? Industrial espionage still happens. Everybody has the right to protect what's theirs. Let the courts decide.

Very very good point, a lot of people forget about this for some reason. I'm sure steve Jobs has not, and protecting your inventions is probably first and foremost on his mind. Bill Gates and Microsoft robbed him many many years ago which ultimately got him fired from the company he helpd create. I'm sure this is a shot out to everyone including Google that he will not let his investments be stolen from him again.

Last edited by CrackberryBrandon; 03-08-10 at 05:26 AM.
    03-08-10 03:54 AM

Surely Windows - ie WIMPs was developed at Xerox.

As far as patents go prior art invalidates the patent no matter who owns it.
    03-08-10 06:17 AM
    and you think Apple is the only one who does that? Try most companies in the world have used at least one idea from someone else, which is technically their intellectual property.

Doesnt look like only Apple to me fighting over patents for "borrowed" ideas

I guess everyone should just lose their patents then by that logic and wed never see any new technology.

Sure we would, then how would any one stand above the rest...

remember : Competition is the mother of invention.

03-08-10 03:52 PM
    Apparently this lawsuit is going to really cause some problems.

Apple has some manufacturers by the balls.

Apple to be the Android killer? Windows Phone 7 Series the Savior? � Boy Genius Report
    03-09-10 05:55 PM
    Hahaha that's what they get crush them all apple
    03-09-10 06:11 PM
78 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD