I apologize if this is in the wrong place. I'm a DoD employee and can't have a camera on my phone. I'm currently using the 8830 World Edition and while I like it, I know it won't last forever. This phone seems to be the last bastion of cameraless, "modern" phones left that I don't have to hunt for.

Does anyone know if there are any plans to release some sort of upgrade to the 8830 that doesn't have a camera?

Thanks ahead of time!
    04-06-09 10:21 AM
    im sorry a little off topic but what is DoD?
    04-06-09 10:29 AM
    im sorry a little off topic but what is DoD?
    I'm pretty sure it's Dept of Defense. Touchy stuff really, no wonder you can't have a camera phone there!

I know it seems like your current phone is the "last of the line" for camera-less models, but don't worry, there will be more out soon. Business people use Blackberry a lot and many can't have cameras at all. I'm sure RIM does understand this and makes these models...they would sure lose a lot of business if they didn't!
    04-06-09 10:40 AM
    I remember a camera-less Bold came out in Japan a few months ago. I would assume that a cameraless 96xx series would be out in the near future as well.
    04-06-09 11:21 AM
    You should let work buy you your phone for work, then get what ever you want for your own phone.
    04-06-09 04:20 PM
    I remember in another thread, I forget the name of it and can't find it at the moment, but someone also in DOD working with the Navy also needed one and someone did say that there will be a bb coming out without a camera sometime this year.
    04-06-09 06:16 PM
    The Sprint/Nextel BB Curve 8350i will or does offer a cameraless option and comes with the more modern OS 4.6.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-07-09 02:23 AM
    Thanks guys, I'll keep an eye out for it. I'd love to see the Bold released without a camera, but I don't see that happening for a while.
    04-07-09 06:33 AM
    Originally they were saying that the Niagara would be available with and without a camera.
    04-07-09 06:47 AM
    It's hard to say when there will be another camera-less BlackBerry phone as RIM has not mentioned much about it. Though, the only thing you can do is just wait around the forums until another rumor is said, or it actually comes out through hearsay from DoD itself listing the camera-less phone(s) that are permitted, in regards to the BlackBerry.
    04-07-09 07:52 AM
    It's hard to say when there will be another camera-less BlackBerry phone as RIM has not mentioned much about it. Though, the only thing you can do is just wait around the forums until another rumor is said, or it actually comes out through hearsay from DoD itself listing the camera-less phone(s) that are permitted, in regards to the BlackBerry.
    I would bet that there will be a camera-less BB. The 8830WE is a business phone and had no use for a camera, and i'm sure Verizon and RIM know this and would not lose sales. They will offer a BB without a camera for us business users. Big demographic.
    04-07-09 10:19 AM
    Here is a link with the "leaked" info from Sprint: Rumor: Camera-Less 8350i Heading to Nextel… | BerryReview.com �
    04-07-09 10:56 PM
    I got confirmation that there will be a cameraless Bold coming out soon for ATT also.

If you absolutely must have a device with a camera, the BES admin can push out a policy to disable it remotely.
    Last edited by sniffs; 04-08-09 at 09:52 AM.
    04-08-09 09:49 AM
    I got confirmation that there will be a cameraless Bold coming out soon for ATT also.

If you absolutely must have a device with a camera, the BES admin can push out a policy to disable it remotely.
    Unfortunately, disabling a camera doesn't satisfy DoD requirements. If it has one at all, it's verboten.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-08-09 10:11 AM
    I also work for DOD...SOCOM to be exact. Last I heard, DISA (Defense Information Security Agency) allows DOD agencies to purchase phones with cameras, however they MUST be disabled permanently. To mitigate the risk of someone enabling it, SOCOM's policy is no camera phones.

I for one am really hoping that we see a 96xx with a "no-camera" option.
    04-08-09 10:43 AM
    im in the Air Force, and we are not allowed to have personal cellphones at my job, but i always see the Higherups with BlackBerry Curves....cameras and all, its silly
    04-10-09 06:37 PM
    Last I checked AT&T had a camera-less version... didn't they?
    04-10-09 09:46 PM
    i thought at&t was getting a camera-less version of the 8900...
    04-11-09 12:46 AM
    im in the Air Force, and we are not allowed to have personal cellphones at my job, but i always see the Higherups with BlackBerry Curves....cameras and all, its silly
    The military issues 83XX and 8703e out to people that are "entitled" to have blackberries. I am in the Army National Guard and the cell phone issuing is handled my the S6 shops. There is always a higher up that needs their email ASAP and can justify the BB.
    04-11-09 02:43 PM
    You should let work buy you your phone for work, then get what ever you want for your own phone.
    while the DOD does provide phones to some with high positions not all that could need one to do their job will be provided one. He is lucky that he can atleast have a phone I am in the Marine Corps and work in a classified area and nobody can have a phone or any piece of personal electronics they have lockers at the security check for everything to be locked up in. needless to say there is more work happening than play
    Last edited by amlongclan; 04-11-09 at 03:01 PM.
    04-11-09 02:58 PM
    There was a rumor out that Sprint had a cameraless 8350i.
    04-11-09 04:52 PM
    jsut get a camera phone, take a drill to the camera
    04-11-09 07:30 PM
    while the DOD does provide phones to some with high positions not all that could need one to do their job will be provided one. He is lucky that he can atleast have a phone I am in the Marine Corps and work in a classified area and nobody can have a phone or any piece of personal electronics they have lockers at the security check for everything to be locked up in. needless to say there is more work happening than play
    I do a lot of work on Naval Shipyards, and if you don't have a phone, you can't get things done. I had an incident where I had a camera phone confiscated for a short period of time for security reasons. For a while, I was using a pay-per-use phone while I was on shipyards, in order to find one without the camera, and both the cost and confusion over phone numbers was simply a pain.

I was able to consolidate to the WE last year and it's helped me a ton. Hopefully I can keep that going for future work. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the WE. I also know that it's relatively old technology so I like to see what's down the pike for any replacements.
    04-11-09 07:50 PM
    I certainly hear where you coming from with the lack of non-camera phone options. Heck, even all but the cheapest of pre-paid phones has a camera these days. That said, and as mentioned once in this thread already, there should (key word there) be a camera-less version of both the Bold and Niagra/9630 if the rumors are to be believed. The question mark is if these will be available for consumer purchase, or if it will be sold strictly through corporate channels.
    04-11-09 11:02 PM
    i did read a thread some time ago where someone took out the camera of their storm becouse they were not allowed a camera where they work which is also within the DOD. they also posted directions on how to do it. so thats allways an option if you like the phone but cant have the camera.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/sto...camera+removal
    04-11-09 11:08 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD