It does seem that the outages are only really in north america havent had any outages in the year or so ive had my berry.
    01-26-10 01:17 PM

1. What Blackberry do you use? And why did you go Blackberry?

2. Do you guys use two devices? If you do what is your other device? If you don't, what would your other device be?

3. If BBM was available to other smartphone platforms, would it be easier to jump ship? Or is the crack in more than just messaging?

4. I absolutely love the traditional Blackberry form factor and the keyboards are typically top notch, but don't you guys want a touchscreen too sometimes? Touchscreen makes web browsing so much better! (I am uber jealous of your optical trackpad though, that thing is awesome)

5. I always hear that the Bold 9700 is the perfect Blackberry device. I also hear that a better web browser, OpenGL, etc., all that refinement stuff is coming soon. So I guess, where does RIM go from this point? They've pretty much delivered the best Blackberry experience already. If by the end of the year you only get a more refined, better Blackberry, will you be happy with that? Or do you guys want dramatic change soon?

6. Are the outages driving you insane?
    I have the Tour 9630 running a hybrid from bbhybrids.net.

I also have an iPod Touch 8gb.

BBM, while nice, is definitely not the most important thing to me. To me, its ease of use and reliability. (the outages haven't bothered me as they are few and very far between. It would be nice to have the option to pull important info if need be, instead of RIM relying solely on push capabilities.)

I love the touchscreen on my iPod. I like it much better than my physical keyboard actually. I never thought I'd say that but it's true.

Blackberry needs to offer pull capabilities and fix the browser to continue to be competitive. Their form function seems to work well for them. They don't work well with Macs though, which is limiting.
    01-26-10 01:41 PM
    1. I'm using the Bold 9000, I went with the device b/c of threaded SMS and browser.
    2. My Wife-Bold 9700, Pearl 81xx), Me- Curve 8xx and Moto Q9h, IF I could choose another device it would be the Moto Droid or BB Storm 2.
    3. No, just like BB it something personal.
    4. Touchscreens are neat, WOULD LOVE ONE! Don't really like the trackpad thing.
    5. I love BB!!! it should allow you to use multiple windows, that's why i use my Moto Q9h sometimes.
    6. YES, THE OUTAGES ARE OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    01-26-10 02:49 PM
    It does seem that the outages are only really in north america havent had any outages in the year or so ive had my berry.
    I agree with you...it's where RIM has most of their devices.
    01-27-10 10:50 AM
    1. I'm using the Bold 9000, I went with the device b/c of threaded SMS and browser.
    2. My Wife-Bold 9700, Pearl 81xx), Me- Curve 8xx and Moto Q9h, IF I could choose another device it would be the Moto Droid or BB Storm 2.
    3. No, just like BB it something personal.
    4. Touchscreens are neat, WOULD LOVE ONE! Don't really like the trackpad thing.
    5. I love BB!!! it should allow you to use multiple windows, that's why i use my Moto Q9h sometimes.
    6. YES, THE OUTAGES ARE OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Multiple windows, meaning home screens?
    01-27-10 10:51 AM
    contest entry
    01-27-10 07:59 PM
    The great thing about the Android Tablet is the Bluetooth/HSPDA support. You can tether the Tablet to your 3G mobile device and use it to gain mobile internet access
    That's definitely a nice feature.
    01-28-10 02:09 AM
    That's definitely a nice feature.
    Yea, it's a lot better than the iPad which uses a micro SIM card... WTH?!?!
    01-28-10 10:52 AM
    1. What Blackberry do you use? And why did you go Blackberry? 8330 because my Treo fell apart

2. Do you guys use two devices? If you do what is your other device? If you don't, what would your other device be? Nope, just that

3. If BBM was available to other smartphone platforms, would it be easier to jump ship? Or is the crack in more than just messaging? Its more

4. I absolutely love the traditional Blackberry form factor and the keyboards are typically top notch, but don't you guys want a touchscreen too sometimes? Touchscreen makes web browsing so much better! (I am uber jealous of your optical trackpad though, that thing is awesome) I want trackpad, physicial qwerty, & true touchscreen -> not sure press

5. I always hear that the Bold 9700 is the perfect Blackberry device. I also hear that a better web browser, OpenGL, etc., all that refinement stuff is coming soon. So I guess, where does RIM go from this point? They've pretty much delivered the best Blackberry experience already. If by the end of the year you only get a more refined, better Blackberry, will you be happy with that? Or do you guys want dramatic change soon? 8330 is perfect

6. Are the outages driving you insane? Yes

Did I win?
    01-28-10 12:15 PM
    1. I use a Blackberry Bold 9700. Its an attricive phone with the an awesome keyboard, trackpad, and great resolution, flash with the 3.2 auto focus camera and multi tasking.

2. I don't need to use two devices. I have an 8GB microSD card in my 9700 for all my media needs. No point for an iPod.

3. BBM on other phones is called texting. Every phone has their exclusives, RIM has BBM.

4. Touch screen is nice, but not needed on a tradional form factored BB. The trackpad is more than needed for a good web browsing experience.

5. I think browsing and video streaming can be improved. But the Bold 9700 is amazing!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by BazzBro; 01-28-10 at 12:23 PM.
    01-28-10 12:21 PM
    YES! Friday is here finally. I am purchasing my Archos 5 Android Tablet via online, through ARCHOS or Amazon or Radio Shack or Best Buy... =]
    01-29-10 09:00 AM
    I have the 8900 with T-Mobile, running OS 5.0.0.411 at the moment. I've had a Curve since January 2008. Prior to that, I was a dedicated Sidekick user, since 2003. I switched to Blackberry because although I thought the Sidekick was better in some ways (I still think that), Danger's service was deteriorating badly around the end of 2007. There were service outages for hours at a time almost every week. More annoyingly, POP email collection times varied from a few minutes to over an hour, which was very frustrating.

In addition, although Danger pioneered the whole "app store" concept, the selection was frustratingly small. In some ways, this was good, because apps were extensively vetted by Danger before they were made available. But the carrier, T-Mobile (in the US) was also able to veto apps that promised to increase data bandwidth load. I don't know if either the service issues or the app store have improved since I left, now that Microsoft has bought Danger.

One other thing. The Sidekick had auto-text. I'm a power user of auto-text. I have abbreviations for about 400 commonly used words, and using these I can type very rapidly. So it was important to me to find another device that had auto-text, and that narrowed the field a lot.

2. Do you guys use two devices? If you do what is your other device? If you don't, what would your other device be?
    I don't use two devices. My wife has the HTC Magic/MyTouch, and I've played with it a bit. I'd consider an Android device.

3. If BBM was available to other smartphone platforms, would it be easier to jump ship? Or is the crack in more than just messaging?
    I don't use BBM.

4. I absolutely love the traditional Blackberry form factor and the keyboards are typically top notch, but don't you guys want a touchscreen too sometimes? Touchscreen makes web browsing so much better! (I am uber jealous of your optical trackpad though, that thing is awesome)
    Even though I've had a Curve for 2 years now, I still think the Sidekick keyboard is the best in the industry. Of course, you can't have a nice roomy physical keyboard on a small device. I also like the compactness of the 8900. I looked carefully at the T-Mobile G1 when it came out, but the keyboard wasn't good (keys way too flat). But sure, a touch screen is very easy and intuitive for many things, other than text entry. For text entry, a touch screen without auto-text feels like a giant step backwards.

5. I always hear that the Bold 9700 is the perfect Blackberry device. I also hear that a better web browser, OpenGL, etc., all that refinement stuff is coming soon. So I guess, where does RIM go from this point? They've pretty much delivered the best Blackberry experience already. If by the end of the year you only get a more refined, better Blackberry, will you be happy with that? Or do you guys want dramatic change soon?
    Hard to say. The Blackberry OS still feels clumsy to me after the Sidekick. The Sidekick OS was so intuitive, in so many small ways, but they added up. Blackberry OS 5 is a step in the right direction. I do enjoy looking at the larger screen on my wife's MyTouch. It's more enjoyable to watch YouTube videos on it than on my 8900. In some ways, I think the Android OS has many of the strengths of the Sidekick OS, without the limitations. But I'm not prepared to go to Verizon to get a Droid, and in any case the Droid keyboard isn't that good. If Android were to get auto-text, I might be tempted to go to an all-touch device. I tried a BB Storm 1 for a while, but was unable to get it to hold onto T-Mobile's Edge service. I don't know if the Storm 2 is better. At least with the Storm I could retain auto-text.

This makes me smile. These BB outages make national headlines once or twice a year. With the Sidekick we were getting them once or twice a week.

Ubizmo
    01-29-10 09:47 AM
    1. I currently have the Bold 9000, and I chose it bc when it comes to corporate email, no other device handles it as efficiently.

2. I only use one, if I could afford a second smartphone, it would probably be a Nexus One or Droid (hoping AT&T comes out w some nice android smartphones...and soon!)

3. I have to admit, I'm addicted to BBM. Most of my close friends have a BB, so it's our main way of messaging. With that in mind, I'd probably enjoy it being available on other smartphones, but I wouldn't say its a deal breaker anyhow.

4. Blackberry keyboards are the best out there IMO, and it makes messaging of any sort a breeze. As much as I love my bold's keyboard, I do want a touchscreen also. Ideally I'd like both. (Dakota anyone?)

5. I don't have the 9700, so aside from selling them @ work, I can't comment if it's the best BB out there. I think that BBs accomplish what they aim to, most of the time. The main thing they need to improve is the web browser. While BBs aren't typically innovative from one model to the next, they all in all deliver a nice user experience. I don't think they should make any radical changes, but updating/improving the OS is never a bad thing.

6. LOL, not now, but when they happen...grrrr
    01-29-10 10:26 AM
    1. I currently have the Bold 9000, and I chose it bc when it comes to corporate email, no other device handles it as efficiently.

2. I only use one, if I could afford a second smartphone, it would probably be a Nexus One or Droid (hoping AT&T comes out w some nice android smartphones...and soon!)

3. I have to admit, I'm addicted to BBM. Most of my close friends have a BB, so it's our main way of messaging. With that in mind, I'd probably enjoy it being available on other smartphones, but I wouldn't say its a deal breaker anyhow.

4. Blackberry keyboards are the best out there IMO, and it makes messaging of any sort a breeze. As much as I love my bold's keyboard, I do want a touchscreen also. Ideally I'd like both. (Dakota anyone?)

5. I don't have the 9700, so aside from selling them @ work, I can't comment if it's the best BB out there. I think that BBs accomplish what they aim to, most of the time. The main thing they need to improve is the web browser. While BBs aren't typically innovative from one model to the next, they all in all deliver a nice user experience. I don't think they should make any radical changes, but updating/improving the OS is never a bad thing.

6. LOL, not now, but when they happen...grrrr
    The Nexus One is a great device. Google has done a great job with that OS. I want a 9700 so bad, hence the reason I'm posting consistently. Blackberry keyboards are the best around. I felt the Curve 8520 though, and it was a little stiff, compared to my 8900 but, then the device was fairly new. I think the Bold keyboard is the right one for us but it doesn't offer the protection from water damage as the Curve keyboard does, being the Bold keys are separate and not link like the Curve devices.
    01-31-10 08:45 AM
    Droiddddy...my Archos 5 tablet has been delayed due to severe weather and I'm upset. Hopefully, it comes tomorrow and then I can discuss more of 'Andy'
    02-01-10 12:24 AM
    Droiddddy...my Archos 5 tablet has been delayed due to severe weather and I'm upset. Hopefully, it comes tomorrow and then I can discuss more of 'Andy'
    That's too bad. Yeah, hopefully it arrives soon. Looking forward to hearing about it!
    02-01-10 01:26 PM
    That's too bad. Yeah, hopefully it arrives soon. Looking forward to hearing about it!
    Has arrived - haven't touched it yet. So, once I get home i will open up a can of review for it. Check my blog link below tomorrow for videos/posts.
    02-01-10 04:00 PM

- I'm currently using the Tour 9630. I got a Blackberry because I saw everyone at work using them like the phone owned them. Actually I got my first BB for the calender reason to keep myself organize. I like the fact that I can have a full keyboard to enter my appointments faster then a T9 phone.

- I'm using the Tour as my personal and the Palm Treo Pro for work. I find Blackberry are easier to use so I put my work phone into storage and make my blackberry into a personal and work phone.

- If BBM was license to other platforms, making the switch would still be a hard decision for me. I still love the keyboard, the snappy OS, user friendly menus and solid hardware makes it hard to switch brand.

- Yes I like the idea of touchscreen too because it makes the web experience much better. I used to own the storm 1 and didn't have much problem with it but changed to a Tour because I miss the physical keyboard. I was going to upgrade to storm 2 but hearing about the magnum around the corner, I think I will hold off on a touch screen and keyboard blackberry.

- I had a chance to play around with the 9700 and I think it's a great phone. Every new phone release by RIM just gets better and better every time. The engineering work that goes into a RIM hardware makes every the phone feels more and more solid and reliable.

- The outages doesn't bother me at all because it's very rare that I see RIM have an outage. Besides the January outage this year, the last outage I saw prior to that was like 2 years ago. Huge time line difference and it's not the end of the world.

I don't need to be responding to my emails every second. If it's an urgent matter, people can still call or text me.
    02-02-10 02:45 AM
    The one thing about all the android sliders at the moment that I dont like is that they are all horizontal sliders, if there was a palm pre/pixi form factor android device it would be really tempting.
    02-02-10 06:20 AM
    I have my Archos 5 with me and it's beautiful, I'm so happy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-02-10 01:58 PM
    Has arrived - haven't touched it yet. So, once I get home i will open up a can of review for it. Check my blog link below tomorrow for videos/posts.
    I'll definitely watch for those.
    02-02-10 06:56 PM
    i BE WATCHING FOR THOSE Archos 5 reviews. It has me very intrigued.
    02-03-10 08:54 AM
    That Archos 5 completes me. My BlackBerry OS with my Android OS(Best two in the game, my opinion) I did an unboxing and a quick review on video playback.
    02-03-10 11:08 AM
    Great vids. Definitely interesting.

I think I'd still prefer my iPod Touch due to the bugs you mention, though. Once those get worked out, I might look into it.

For a Smartphone, though, unless I win one of these contests (I'm really hoping), I'm definitely leaning towards Android though.
    02-03-10 09:23 PM
    If you do get an Android, get the Nexus, unless you don't care for 3G(only on Tmo). The Droid is cool. The Cliq is alright and the My Touch is nice. None of them have great battery life, except for the Nexus One.
    02-04-10 09:54 AM
228 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD