A little late this week folks, my apologies!

Hey all! I'm Casey Chan from Android Central and I'm the lucky guy who gets to use Blackberry this week for the Smartphone Round Robin. Now I'm a big fan of Blackberry but still have some issues with the OS. Either way, I definitely have questions for you guys and if you answer, which I'm sure you will, you'll have a chance to win a free Blackberry!

1. What Blackberry do you use? And why did you go Blackberry?

2. Do you guys use two devices? If you do what is your other device? If you don't, what would your other device be?

3. If BBM was available to other smartphone platforms, would it be easier to jump ship? Or is the crack in more than just messaging?

4. I absolutely love the traditional Blackberry form factor and the keyboards are typically top notch, but don't you guys want a touchscreen too sometimes? Touchscreen makes web browsing so much better! (I am uber jealous of your optical trackpad though, that thing is awesome)

5. I always hear that the Bold 9700 is the perfect Blackberry device. I also hear that a better web browser, OpenGL, etc., all that refinement stuff is coming soon. So I guess, where does RIM go from this point? They've pretty much delivered the best Blackberry experience already. If by the end of the year you only get a more refined, better Blackberry, will you be happy with that? Or do you guys want dramatic change soon?

6. Are the outages driving you insane?
    01-20-10 05:08 PM
    A round robin entry!
    01-20-10 05:30 PM
    5. I finally had a chance to play with the 9700 last week and it's definitely the best Blackberry IMO. I'd choose it over the iPhone if I were on AT&T.
    01-20-10 05:51 PM
    1.) Currently Blackberry less. Like the 9000 and storm series.

2.) I have used a blackberry with a iPhone and Windows mobile. Currently with my older windows mobile. Waiting for upgrade or winning one.

3.) I don't use BBM all that much.

4.) I like the both traditional and touchscreen blackberries.

5.) Better then 9700 would be faster and GB hard drives.

6.) Any kind of outages drive me crazy.
    01-20-10 05:51 PM
    1. BB 9630, I need it for work. I use it and leave it in my desk when I go home.

2. I do. I use my Tour for work during work and my Droid for everything else.

3. Too late already jumped ship.

4. I do like the touch screen and hardware keyboard that is why I went droid.

5. BB needs a huge change in the OS. It's pretty boring as of now.

6. Yes. Outages suck.
    01-20-10 06:25 PM
    I've been waiting for this week to hear about BB from an Android perspective!
    01-20-10 06:39 PM
    1. Currently running a tour. Wanted to try something new and different.

2. Only use the one......unless you count the ipod touch.

3.BBM is great but not but not a deal maker or breaker for me. The crack just absorbs into the skin i think.

4.I love touch screens but i have a storm 2 and prefer that over any touch screen 1000000000%. Any other touch is now obsolete for me. Just switched from verizon to sprint so no more storm........boooooooooo!

5. The os is my primary complaint but it works. Hopefully this new setup that is coming will be a great improvement. I'm always looking for something new but as long as there are improvements i am satisfied. Ofcourse surprises are always welcomed, as long as it is not an outage.

6. Not yet.......but ask me again in 6 months.
    01-20-10 06:46 PM

8330, wanted email.

2. Do you guys use two devices? If you do what is your other device? If you don't, what would your other device be?

No and none.

3. If BBM was available to other smartphone platforms, would it be easier to jump ship? Or is the crack in more than just messaging?

Don't use messaging.

4. I absolutely love the traditional Blackberry form factor and the keyboards are typically top notch, but don't you guys want a touchscreen too sometimes? Touchscreen makes web browsing so much better! (I am uber jealous of your optical trackpad though, that thing is awesome)

I want a touch screen as much as I want genital herpes. I had some touchscreen features on my Motorola V9M, I kept them disabled.

5. I always hear that the Bold 9700 is the perfect Blackberry device. I also hear that a better web browser, OpenGL, etc., all that refinement stuff is coming soon. So I guess, where does RIM go from this point? They've pretty much delivered the best Blackberry experience already. If by the end of the year you only get a more refined, better Blackberry, will you be happy with that? Or do you guys want dramatic change soon?

I liked the Bold 9700 when I had a chance to play with it, I'll keep my 8330.

What outages? I experienced one, just waited until it went away.
    01-20-10 06:51 PM
    1. I have a 8330 Curve and originally went to Blackberry because I'm a business owner and need to manage multiple email accounts.

2. I currently do not, but if so I'd probably grab a Storm2 or a Droid.

3. Much, Much more than just BBM

4. I love the QWERTY keyboard but am very intruiged by the touch screens. New technology is always a draw like a carrot out in front of a rabbit. And right now, the carrot is the touch screens.

5. I personally am very happy with my BB experience to date. The push email is 2nd to none and the qwerty keyboard makes it easy for me to send a lightning fast reply email to a client....If anything could be better it would be more apps that assist me with business and a better overall web browsing experience.

6. The outages suck, but really haven't effected me to bad....although the thought of another one scares the bejesus out of me.
    01-20-10 07:24 PM

I use a 8900. I chose Blackberry because it was a messaging giant, and I wanted to be more connected than I used to be.

I dont use anything else. I use my blackberry and my Laptop. Lol

Nope. I need a physical keyboard, and RIM has the best physical keyboards (and touchscreen) IMO

Only for webrowsing, but i want a keyboard (or surepress).

More refinement is good. I wouldnt mind some widgets thrown in.

nope
    01-20-10 08:01 PM
    1. 9700 is the best, but I play with a 9000 at work. Blackberries have the best keyboard and most utility.

2. Droid Eris. I love Android.

3. Yup.

4. I hardly use the touchscreen for web browsing on my Droid Eris. Trackball is just more accurate and requires less movement. On rare occasions I pinch zoom.

5. They need more memory. 256 mb is not enough system storage. Throwing in a 2 GB microSD doesn't help.

6. A day without e-mail isn't a huge loss, except when you sell phones for a living...
    01-20-10 09:00 PM
    1. Storm2!!! I had the curve then storm1

2. I have a palm pre and an iphone that sits at home. I'm waiting on my moment and droid eris to come... also the new htc for sprint 2q that runs 2.1.

3. I would enjoy bbm on another smartphone but wouldn't make me completely jump ship... Once you go black you never go back. The crack is more than messaging!

4. I want a storm to have the trackpad... I don't know why but sometimes I don't wanna touch the screen when I'm being bored scrolling through stuff.

5. I just want some better apps thats really about it. I would love the iphone facebook app on my s2. Some better games would be nice... can't wait for flash either!

6. I don't really know the outages but they don't really bother me when they do I got another phone to use lol
    01-20-10 10:09 PM
    1. Storm2. I have been a BlackBerry user for many years, but I first started using one for the email and security features.

2. I have two Storm2's.

3. Nope. The crack is skin deep.

4. I've got a big, fat touch screen right here.

5. I want more. The more dramatic..........The better.

6. Yes. The outages suck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-20-10 10:27 PM
    1. Storm2. One of the reasons I went was because I wanted access to my email and my work supported blackberry. I also wanted a touch screen that wasn't an iPhone

2. I don't use devices. If I had one, it would most likely be an Android one.

3. It's not just BBM, I just feel more connected with my BB with contacts, email, sms, facebook, etc, with just how they all integrate with each other....

4. That's why I went with the touch screen storm2. I like having a nice large screen, I'm quite envious of the screens on the Droid and Nexus one though and hope the next storm would be similar.

5. I'd be pretty happy, but although RIM is adding new features, I just hope developers really make the most out of it and give us more quality apps and games. OpenGL is here and there's only 2 games out now for the Storm2 and only 1 is worth having (PBA Bowling 2). They also need to do something about expanding the application memory.

6. The outages haven't affected me too much. Many corporate users are not always affected by the BIS outages luckily due to our BBs being on BES...
    01-20-10 10:35 PM

Hey all! I'm Casey Chan from Android Central and I'm the lucky guy who gets to use Blackberry this week for the Smartphone Round Robin. Now I'm a big fan of Blackberry but still have some issues with the OS. Either way, I definitely have questions for you guys and if you answer, which I'm sure you will, you'll have a chance to win a free Blackberry!

1. 8330. I went BB because I was coming to vzw from sprint on a a900 and got really sick of not having a browser on the road as well as sick of using T9 on normal cells

2. If I had a second device it would probably be a storm2 (im waiting to upgrade to a tour2 on my 8330 therefor storm would be secondary device)

3. I wouldnt jump ship if BBM was on other phones that werent blackberries

4. The only touchscreen phone I have seen do absolute justice to what a touch screen should be is the iPhone until another phone rivals the quality of that screen and its user friendliness im sticking with a keyboarded phone like my BB (this is personal opinion)

5. Although I like refinements on a Blackberry RIM seems to fix things that will drive sales on the phone itself instead of keeping the current customers happy by fixing bugs, making improvements, changing from within. Kind of seems like the mentality of they already have us lets go get some more.

6. I havent had too much issues with any outages. Ive been too busy with work and school.
    01-20-10 10:43 PM
    1. Currently running a Storm1 chosen specifically because it was awesome, and had the reputation of RIM behind it. I viewed it as buying a tool, rather than a Toy.

2. Right now I would go with a Storm2 (I have a Storm1) and a Bold 9700. If I could. I'm on Verizon so it would probably be Storm2 and Tour.

3. I use BBM for very few people. Doesn't really apply to me.

4. I have a Storm so I can relate to the giant web browsing experience (albeit a bit slower experience before I got Opera installed) and it is awesome. I am eagerly awaiting the Storm3 and any new devices that come out late this year to see whats next for my mobile browsing experience.

5. This "Where does _______ go from here?" applies everywhere. Personally, I think its in apps. I think that once all phones have WiFi, GPS and faster browsing we will see a ridiculous surge of incredibly open, personal apps, to make any phone on any platform specifically yours.

6. I have personally never experienced an outage.
    01-20-10 10:55 PM

Nice, how about a free N1 for us Android users? :P

Crackberry Tour 9630. I went Blackberry because it was the best smartphone in Sprint's Lineup at the time.

Other device is a Samsung Moment

BBM was never a selling point for me. It is a very nice feature, but i talk to everyone through Google Chat anyway.

I have a touchscreen and a trackpad on my Android. If the Storm had better hardware, IE hardware keyboard and better screen , I may not have jumped to an Android phone.

To be honest, there isn't much that RIM can do, unless they expand their touchscreen lineup, as that is the wave of the future. I do think that they should STOP trying to compete with the iPhone. RIM currently still holds a large percentage of the market when it comes to Smartphones. Maybe if they worked with Google and had a Hybrid device, but that is far fetched.

What outages. :-)

Either way, Welcome to the Crackberry Forums and see you on the other side.
    01-21-10 06:58 AM

When I got my first smartphone, my choices (with my carrier) were the Motorola Qm3, the BlackBerry Pearl, or the 8830WE. I ended up going with the 8830WE and just loved it. The keyboard was easy to get used to and since I mostly use it for communications, it worked well for my purposes. My only complaint was the lack of memory for loading apps. I know have the Tour and am very happy with it. It was a natural transition from the 8830WE, with more speed, better screen, and more memory.

I don't use two devices. I have found that just about everything I want to carry with me works very well on my BB. I don't play a LOT of games, but I do have a few to tide me over. If the Tour had OpenGL, I'd probably be more inclined to have more games.

Before I had my first BB, I carried a dumb phone, a Dell Axim PDA, an MP3 player, and a little point & shoot camera. I felt like batman with a utility belt! I still occasionally carry my Zune for my large library of music and videos, but like carrying fewer devices.

It always interests me that BBM and e-mail seem to be the reasons others think BB users choose BB. I think BBM is a nice feature on BlackBerry devices, but it is not the end-all of all apps. I have Google Talk and AIM running all the time as well, and have MSN and YM! up and running through BeeJive.

Since BBM 5 added Groups, it does have an appeal to some. I have a group for my family, which makes collaboration work well. We saw Kevin's report that many businesses were using BBM Groups to communicate in Las Vegas (like night clubs where it is too loud to talk). There are some neat features in BBM.

Would I "jump ship" if BBM were available on other devices? Probably not. I can quickly glance at my BB to see if the red LED is blinking (to see new messages). I use my Today screen to keep track of appointment (without needing to open the calendar). I have 7 e-mail addresses on my BB and can check all of them quickly. The apps I have on my BB allow me to run my business from just about anywhere. It would be more important to me to have that capability than to just have BBM available.

I have never been too fond of touch-screen devices. I think it is mainly due to the lack of physical keyboard. I can type very quickly and accurately on my Tour. I tried out an iPhone and didn't like the keyboard (especially since I do more communications than games). I think the upcoming Dakota may be an interesting spin on touch-screen + keyboard, though.

Some of the things coming down the pipe may include a Bold with touch screen (Dakota), and possibly a front-facing camera (adding in the possibility of video conferencing). As long as they work on the browser, the memory, and open up more APIs (5.0 has started that, along with adding OpenGL), there really doesn't need to be a huge change in the BB hardware.

Outages can be frustrating, but they happen everywhere. Apple had a MobileMe outage the weekend after RIM had their outage. AIM, Facebook, Twitter have all had outages. I think it is just more noticeable on BlackBerry devices since a large part of the communication base goes through RIM's servers. I think RIM needs to have a fallback to guard against complete outages, but it is not enough to make me leave BB.
    01-21-10 09:00 AM
    Round Robin entry!
    01-21-10 09:05 AM

I had a storm and now a droid

no

messaging is the best on BB. also the menus are a pain but kind of good to have access to it all

touch yes but not touch and press , it was great at first but the pressing was a little to much on the mechanical storm screen. maybe a lighter press would ve been perfect.

I would go back to BB if they made a fast phone like android or iphone, to bad its so slow compared to them and freezes way to much.
    Also where the **** are all the apps?? that is the best part about having a PDA now a days so whats up with that??

i only left my loved storm because the browser and phone itself was way to slow compared to the competion. otherwise id still be here but im still a big BB fan and would love to come back!!!
    01-21-10 12:09 PM

Storm 2. I originally went toward BB as a work device and have stayed around for the same reason.

No. If I did carry a 2nd device (today) it would be the IPhone for entertainment as well as functionality.

No. I primarily use BBM with work contacts and family however I would have no problem getting by without it.

I think RIM has a decent touch screen; what they don't have is the web browsing. I lean toward the larger display but hate the slide out keyboards; thus my decision on the storm 2. I can type just as fast and accurate on my storm 2 as I could on my tour. Although I do agree that I would like have the option to turn 'off' the �click�. I like the press but do find myself in situations when the noise is distracting.

A faster and better Web Browser is a must. With all the new devices coming out and enhancements being made; what RIM does great may not be enough compared to what they lack to keep some from switching.

Just my thoughts.....
    01-21-10 12:55 PM

First off, so not cool man...

1)8900-i chose mine because the battery life was so much better than the G1 and the MyTouch wasn't out yet.

2)my 2nd device would an android without question.

3)the crack is in bbm, best email, custom themes-each bb has the same features on it and the most recent bb's can get the new OS without memory issues.(like ur cupcake and eclair software being limited)

4)thanks. a touch/qwerty bb will be out soon so that's not an issue. I will get it tho.

5)some people crave dramatic change and that's not needed with RIM and the bb. All we really need is a better browser. Most people claim that bb's are too complicated or not easy to use, but half of them don't read manuals or explore the usage capabilities so they end up being noobs with a BB. I'm satisfied now, we have Opera Mini 5, that's a good enough browser to have while RIM works on the webkit. I'll be happy. If you take notice, the only thing people complain about is the browser.

6)a couple here and there are nothing and for some of us who love our bb's and understand that RIM needs to update the infrastructure to meet demands, you'll be fine and besides, that service cannot be touch ed by any other smart-phone OS and we have it, so why whine and moan and complain over a handful of slips when RIM has been near perfection for a decade? So, my answer is no, the outages are ok in my book as long as the don't become frquent, I won't complain, but, even if they did, that alone isn't enough to make me switch.
    01-21-10 02:30 PM

I use the Blackberry Storm 2 9550 and I chose Blackberry because I love the typing experience and i.m.o. It is the best messaging device on the planet.

I don't use 2 devices but if I did the other would be the iphone. I'd like to suck up and say an Android device to win the Blackberry, but the only two things I'd take from an Android device are the browser and the app store and they are both way better on the iphone.

I really love BBM but I think it would take more than that for me to jump ship. I am having a great time with my Storm and there isn't a phone on earth I'd rather have right now.

My Storm is a touchscreen so this question is kind of irrelevant to me.

I feel that the Storm 2 is a better Blackberry than the Bold
    and if rumors hold true, there will be some pretty dramatic changes coming in the next round of devices. Now if those changes will be welcome ones is another question.

Outages suck.
    Now I have a question for you.

What (if anything) would you like to see from Blackberries implemented on Android devices?
    01-21-10 03:22 PM
    5. I have a 9700....it is a bit too small for my hands. For me the Curve 8310 is the perfect size, keys and all.
    01-21-10 03:45 PM
    I don't have a smartphone yet, so I really can't answer most of the questions. In the future, though, I think they'll definitely need to upgrade their touchscreen lineup.

I'm actually a little leery of Blackberries now, as I saw someone today with one (I'm not sure what model, one of the Curves I think), whose number keys intermittently wouldn't work. She gets heavy use out of it though, and it may be an old model.

Right now, in figuring an upcoming purchase (if I don't win one of these contests), I'm kind of flipping back and forth between Android (specifically a Nexus One if I can afford to buy a phone outright, or a Magic if Rogers and HTC fix the 911 bug and get it back on the purchasable list), and Blackberry (specifically a 9700).
    01-21-10 04:19 PM
228 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD