RIM Expands Application Ecosystem for BlackBerry PlayBook

Developers wanting to bring their new and existing apps to the highly anticipated BlackBerry� PlayBook™ tablet will soon have additional tools and options to enhance and expand their commercial opportunities. Research In Motion (RIM) (NASDAQ:RIMM)(TSX:RIM) today announced plans to greatly expand the application ecosystem for the BlackBerry PlayBook. The BlackBerry PlayBook is scheduled to launch in the U.S. and Canada on April 19.

RIM will launch two optional "app players" that provide an application run-time environment for BlackBerry Java� apps and Android v2.3 apps. These new app players will allow users to download BlackBerry Java apps and Android apps from BlackBerry App World and run them on their BlackBerry PlayBook.

In addition, RIM will shortly release the native SDK for the BlackBerry PlayBook enabling C/C++ application development on the BlackBerry� Tablet OS. For game-specific developers, RIM is also announcing that it has gained support from two leading game development tooling companies, allowing developers to use the cross-platform game engines from Ideaworks Labs and Unity Technologies to bring their games to the BlackBerry PlayBook.
    PS: If this news has been posted, I am sorry. I searched for threads with an article but didn't see it.
    Last edited by RollingRock1988; 03-24-11 at 04:41 PM.
    03-24-11 04:39 PM
    03-24-11 06:32 PM
    This is GREAT!!
    03-25-11 10:54 AM
    Why RIM leaned on Google in its war with Apple - The Globe and Mail

Pretty good well balanced article in weighing the pros and cons of RIM's decision to include android apps for BB's future.
    03-27-11 06:04 PM
    I read it on the crackberry blogs

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-27-11 10:09 PM
    Makes me want to get the playbook even more now...
    03-28-11 02:07 AM
    03-28-11 03:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD