Verizon Wireless Customers [edit: and any other major cellco customers] can send a text message to 90999 with the word HAITI and it will automatically donate $10 to the red cross to help w/ their efforts. The $10 charge will appear on your bill. 100% of funds go directly to the red cross to assist for the victims in Haiti.
    Last edited by Weekendbum; 01-14-10 at 01:44 AM.
    01-13-10 03:43 PM
    Good info. Thank you.
    01-13-10 03:49 PM
    Bum is that legit or is that like those mms that go out about the phone company donating money every time it gets forwarded? And if it is legit where did you hear about it?
    01-13-10 03:57 PM
    It's legit, it is in our company intranet.
    01-13-10 04:00 PM
    Def legit NYC council men referred to that nd Mtv.com
    01-13-10 04:11 PM
    It's legit, it is in our company intranet.
    Cool. I'll have to send a text over. It's really cool that vzw is doing that. Thanks for the heads up
    01-13-10 04:17 PM
    Do you know if other carriers are doing that?
    01-13-10 04:37 PM
    I don't know.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-10 06:10 PM
    Yep, I heard about this on the local news. I donated, its so convenient and quick to just add it to the phone bill.

My wife just found out she may end up going with the CG, I guess we are just doing our part to help out.
    01-13-10 07:19 PM
    I can confirm this. The shortcode is legit.
    01-13-10 07:27 PM
    Awesome, glad to know we can help
    01-13-10 07:53 PM
    Awesome post! Thanks for the heads up!

Edit: Just donated! God Bless all those affected by this horrific tragedy as well as those that are aiding in the relief efforts.
    Last edited by jgutie6634; 01-13-10 at 08:43 PM.
    01-13-10 08:24 PM
    This is a wonderful thing but it's not Verizon that's doing this. From the New York Times: $1.2 Million in Donations for Haiti, via Text Message - Bits Blog - NYTimes.com

"Anyone with a mobile phone and an account with a major wireless carrier can text the phrase �Haiti� to the number 90999 and donate $10 to the Red Cross. That amount is charged to the donor�s cellphone bill.

The texted donations are being handled by a company called mGive, which started the campaign in a joint effort with the State Department and the Red Cross late Tuesday night. Thanks to a mention on the White House�s blog and lots of word of mouth on Twitter and Facebook, the campaign had raised more than $1.2 million by Tuesday evening, mGive said."
    01-13-10 09:21 PM
    from AT&T newsgroup

We know several of you have asked whether there's anything AT&T can do to help Haiti’s earthquake victims. AT&T customers can now send $10 donations to the Red Cross International Relief Fund by texting the word HAITI to 90999. 100% of all money donated will be passed on to the Red Cross. AT&T customers can also text YELE to 501501 to give $5 to Wyclef’s YeleHaiti. (Note that standard message rates may apply.)
    01-13-10 10:53 PM
    You can also text "YELE" to 501501. It automatically charges $5 to your next bill.

That organization is the one that Wyclef Jean is involved with. It is Legit. Go to Yele.org for info or Impact Your World - Special Reports from CNN.com to find out what other organizations you can donate to.

I am pleading that any & everyone donate anything you can to Haiti. My family is Haitian and those are my people dying out there. Does anyone know of any way this could make it to the main page for all to see? Those that are in tune with the situation know that MUCH help is needed.
    01-13-10 11:16 PM
    Does anyone know of any way this could make it to the main page for all to see? Those that are in tune with the situation know that MUCH help is needed.
    it's up to the mods to move the thread. this is still in the verizon forum so who knows if/when it will get moved.
    01-13-10 11:20 PM
    This is a wonderful thing but it's not Verizon that's doing this. From the New York Times: $1.2 Million in Donations for Haiti, via Text Message - Bits Blog - NYTimes.com

"Anyone with a mobile phone and an account with a major wireless carrier can text the phrase �Haiti� to the number 90999 and donate $10 to the Red Cross. That amount is charged to the donor�s cellphone bill.

The texted donations are being handled by a company called mGive, which started the campaign in a joint effort with the State Department and the Red Cross late Tuesday night. Thanks to a mention on the White House�s blog and lots of word of mouth on Twitter and Facebook, the campaign had raised more than $1.2 million by Tuesday evening, mGive said."
    Good call, I will re-word my OP.

I have donated. Please remember that if you send multiple texts it will donate multiple times.
    01-14-10 01:43 AM
    Maybe move to Off-Topic and a Sticky?
    01-14-10 02:18 AM
    I moved the thread to Off Topic. As noble as an idea as it is, it still belongs here. This will be the main thread for this topic I am closing the other one.
    01-14-10 09:46 AM
    I didnt read through this thread since I was more active in the other Haiti thread, but I wanted to let everyone know that American Airlines is flying doctors and nurses to Haiti for free. Please call 212-697-9767.
    Last edited by thinkamp; 01-14-10 at 10:08 AM.
    01-14-10 10:05 AM
    Everyone Please keep Haiti and its people in your thoughts and prayers. You will never know what they are going through until you have been in there place.. Please donate. Haiti you will not be forgotten. We have a duty as Americans to do what we can. God bless you and pass this on.

For more information go to The White House or CARE :: Defending Dignity, Fighting Poverty. To donate $10 to the Red Cross , cell phone users can text the word "Haiti" to 90999.

One of the most popular sites is Yele -- set up by singer Wyclef Jean. Besides donating online, those who wish can text the message "Yele" to the number 501501. That will result in a $5 donation that will show up on your cell phone bill.

God Bless You
    01-14-10 10:10 AM
    I tried txting Haiti to 90999 from my Sprint Tour, and received the following message back:

"The shortcode you are attempting to use has expired and is no longer a valid short code. Msg 1051"

I've read that this may be a Sprint issue with shortcodes...am caling them now. Anyone have any insight on this? I've never used a shortcode for anything before - but would like to for this specific cause. So terribly sad...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-15-10 04:42 PM
    Sticking this for a short time.
    01-22-10 08:41 PM
    I got a sticky thread!
    01-23-10 12:02 AM
    I've donated a lot of money to Haiti, a logn with donating water and clothes. I wish I could donate more to them as they need a lot more help then ever.

what REALLLYY pissed me off though is when I read the comments blog on the front page of CB about donating to Haiti, how roughly over 50% of people say screw Haiti and they dont need any help, that we should help out people here at home in the U.S more then Haiti! I can't believe how people think sometimes, really is disgusting how you can turn your back on other human beings that are suffering as bad as they are right now. We are the most weathly country on the planet yet and we step up to the plate when other countrys need our help. One day The U.S is going to need help from others just like they helped us on 9/11

to they people that say "screw haiti" I say "screw you too"
    01-23-10 06:37 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD