Now don't get me wrong, I use acronyms constantly and I often use them in IM'ing (note use of one there) and texts, such as brb, asl, idk, omg, ect. However I've noticed a growing number of people mostly young teens and even some people in their early to mid twenty's completely bastardizing the English language. For a point of reference feel free to jump over to Social Users and Pin Sharing and see one of our newer members amoni's posts.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f51/doe...s-askn-188950/

I'm younger but even I find this to be irritating and if you'll pardon me low-brow. I know its been brought up before but does anyone else think that the English language is slowly being diminished by such usage?
    03-23-09 09:31 PM
    It's not slowly happening. It's here! As a high school English teacher, I read essays weekly that look more like text messages or instant messages than a piece of formal writing. It seems that most of the high schoolers can't understand that such antics are inappropriate for academic writing. Unfortunately, shortcuts are more of a part of them than the hard way, as they call it, because by the time they get to me, they've been texting or messaging for years. I truly fear for the future of standard English.
    03-23-09 09:38 PM
    That just frightens me. What happened to standards in this country? America's been falling behind for years and now it seems we're slipping farther. Don't kids read anymore?
    03-23-09 09:41 PM
    That just frightens me. What happened to standards in this country? America's been falling behind for years and now it seems we're slipping farther. Don't kids read anymore?
    this world would never slow down again .... so with that people need to type faster so it has become the new short hand ....and if you can type faster/get info across faster....
    a whole new language has been made from this
    03-23-09 09:44 PM
    I am not a master of the english language or of punctuation either. But, this does bother me. Saying OMG, LOL, IMHO, etc. Is more acceptable to me than making up new spellings for words as you go along. They are already listed in the dictionary under the correct spelling and no matter how lazy one may be, that will not make butchering the word "ok".

This is just my opinion. Right or wrong, and I think it makes a person appear far below the average intelligence level to type in this way. We all make spelling errors, but this is way beyond that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-23-09 09:45 PM
    I understand that effective communication happens when two people exchange ideas or thoughts, regardless of the method. However, it saddens me that fewer and fewer seem to appreciate the finer points of the language. To answer the question about kids reading, from my experience, kids are probably reading more than ever. But they've traded in novels and magazines for email, texts, instant messages, and blogs. I couldn't care less if they're reading print or electronic texts, but I wish they were reading standard English.
    03-23-09 09:49 PM
    There is a difference between abbreviations and ignorant slang. We have all had slang through the generations but the most recent generation's form of slang is just stupid. Our parents said 'groovy', I said 'cool'. As a parent I blame the parents and the education system. Its all in what you as a parent instill in your children.
    03-23-09 09:58 PM
    WTF u peeps jivin' 'bout?
    03-23-09 10:08 PM
    I understand that effective communication happens when two people exchange ideas or thoughts, regardless of the method. However, it saddens me that fewer and fewer seem to appreciate the finer points of the language. To answer the question about kids reading, from my experience, kids are probably reading more than ever. But they've traded in novels and magazines for email, texts, instant messages, and blogs. I couldn't care less if they're reading print or electronic texts, but I wish they were reading standard English.
    They are reading more. Atleast my daughter is anyway. The public education system is partly to blame I think. (It appears that way here at any rate).

G-d love the teachers. They do a job that I would rather sprout stringy man hair out of a wart on my nose than do. I just think some of them get tired of having no control or say. Sometimes my 11 year old daughter will bring home a paper that is graded an A� and it is written like chicken scratch souped up on crack. Usually she will try to hide these because she knows I will make her rewrite it whether it is already graded or not.

I keep telling her (every year) that the next year the teacher will not be so accepting and she will fail. But year after year, it doesn't matter to the teachers. How can I teach her to write correctly or legibly if there are no repurccusions in the classroom?

It doesn't occur very often, but it is let go when it does. Teachers and aides can't say anything to the children or parents anymore. Everyone gets offended and can't see through the glowing rusty halo their children wear. I have seen good teachers try to hold a student back for a year and the parents raise so much he!!, they let them pass afterwards. The school systems hands then become tied.

I always thought a good education was wasted on the youth. Everyone should step up and care if their children walk around sounding like a real life infomercial for Hooked on Phonics.

03-23-09 10:12 PM
    Lol I saw those threads today and it was horrible. Wow

03-23-09 10:13 PM
    PC is squeezing the life right out of us! He who will not offend, cannot be honest.
    03-23-09 10:15 PM
    There is a difference between abbreviations and ignorant slang. We have all had slang through the generations but the most recent generation's form of slang is just stupid. Our parents said 'groovy', I said 'cool'. As a parent I blame the parents and the education system. Its all in what you as a parent instill in your children.
    True. Also, we knew when "slang" was appropriate, and we were able to switch to standard english, when necessary. I worry if a lot of kids could actually switch up, if they had to.

It starts at home. Parents and teachers work together. I don't know how it's possible to have a child living in your home, and not know they can't read...but that's a reality. My mom used to make me read a section of the newspaper, out loud, every night. Afterwards, I had to explain what I'd just read. I hated it at the time, but I understand why she did what she did. She cared.
    03-23-09 10:27 PM
    PC is squeezing the life right out of us! He who will not offend, cannot be honest.
    I agree with you on this. I correct my daughter's speaking when she says it wrong every time I hear it. It doesn't bother me to tell her that she is talking like she has a mouth full of rocks. She may get offended. I just picture her being thankful for it down the road when she isn't making an ***** of herself in front of other people.

I found out that it helped to always talk like an adult to her even when she was a baby. That way she wan't going to be 25 asking for a drink of milky or wawa. She has always used bigger words as well. If you talk to them like Elmer Fudd, then that is the way they will talk back to you when they start.

If more people/parents were totally honest to their children, friends, etc. then American Idol wouldn't be nearly as hilarious.

03-23-09 10:33 PM
    The interesting thing about abbreviations/ slang/ or whatever you want to call it is that many people that read it tend to understand what they are reading. They may not like it; but they understand it.

Also, someone mentioned the differences in generations somewhere. There is no way this would have been acceptable when I was growing up. It would have been seen as me just not being able to spell correctly.

Todays generation- this is how they communicate & beating them over the head about it because you don't like it isn't going to change the fact that this is how they speak/ talk/ text.

Also, to the OP that said she uses, "brb, asl, idk, omg, ect.;" don't get me wrong but it's part of the very same issue as the topic of this thread and many of you have an issue with. What makes one more acceptable than the other?

03-23-09 10:38 PM
    This reminded me of something, a friend of mine who runs a small business was recently hiring. The job posting clearly listed all the requirements and all the steps to apply for the job. It was simple, if you met the requirements then email your resume and a short paragraph on why you'd be suitable for the job. There were some of the replies, they have not been edited except for names.

It makes me wonder about how language is accepted these days. These people are applying for jobs and they believe this kind of writing is ok?

my name is xxxxx i was looking at your sight and i think that i would be a great addition to your team because i truely care for animals and there well being im reliable and hard working and i would be more then willing to work at any time needed the only problem is im 18 but id like the chance to show that im a good person for this job thanks for your time have a great day
    Hey I Know It said YOu need to be 21 but im 16 turning 17 Dec 2 and im about 6''5 200 something pounds so i can deal with Big dogs and im avalibe at 10am to 3pm I can Work longer than that if you wanted me to but i know im not the right age but i still need a job and im good with animals and i love dogs! lol
    work with guard dogs also had family pets most of my life i enjoy taking care of animal
    im 23, have a cell phone, have a valid licence, but no car... where are you located? i am interested, if you could just tell me a little more... thanks!
    hey this would be perfect for me except i dont have a car where are you located perhaps i can bus it
    Btw these were not just excepts from emails, these were the complete messages.
    Last edited by Shao128; 03-23-09 at 10:49 PM.
    03-23-09 10:41 PM
    This reminded me of something, a friend of mine who runs a small business was recently hiring. The job posting clearly listed all the requirements and all the steps to apply for the job. It was simple, if you met the requirements then email your resume and a short paragraph on why you'd be suitable for the job. There were some of the replies, they have not been edited except for names.

It makes me wonder about how language is accepted these days. These people are applying for jobs and they believe this kind of writing is ok?

Btw these were not just excepts from emails, these were the complete messages.
    Yep. It's sad. My best friend teaches at a college, in Michigan. A large percentage of her students lack basic writing skills.
    03-23-09 10:52 PM
    It really is up to us parents to make sure our kids do use good grammer and spelling. I don't mind if they use acronyms and abreviations when they text their friends, but when they write for school or anything that requires proper writing, I see to it they do it right.

03-23-09 11:05 PM
    My kids write everything properly...but it cracks me up when they actually SAY things like, "lol you noob. Stuff you. (stfu) Oh em gee (OMG) and DOH!"

teim ot get teh unifon aphlaebt me tinhks...
    03-23-09 11:22 PM
    I personally think communicating in heiroglyphics was better used in such groups as the Egyptian, Euphrates, Tigris, Mayan-civilizations.

It's one thing to use a moderated (not moderate) amount of 'shorthand' that parties in a conversation find acceptable...however to disregard a moderated-form of shorthand conversation and use such mind-numbing and eye-twisting shorthand to publically communicate...is frightening in the dumbed down sense.
    03-23-09 11:41 PM
    Simple forms of communication (speaking, writing) are overrated anyway. I've chosen to start communicating through telepathy. This way, grammatical errors will be a thing of the past and I'll be able to eat while I speak.
    03-24-09 12:06 PM
    The sad thing is how may people that DON'T speak/communicate like that who don't know the correct usage of things like their, there, and they're.
    03-24-09 01:25 PM
    The sad thing is how may people that DON'T speak/communicate like that who don't know the correct usage of things like their, there, and they're.
    In their defense, sometimes it's just a typo. I've done it, and I know the correct usage.

My peeves are "irregardless", and "I could care less" (when what you actually want to communicate is that you don't care...so it's "I couldn't care less"...any less than I do now).

However, I'm not the grammar police, so I'm not always picking apart the speech of others. I'm no english major. But again, some folks don't know how to communicate effectively, when it's critical.
    03-24-09 01:44 PM
    Hey, Strunk and White's Elements of Style just celebrated a major anniversary, and yea, I've read "Eats, Shoots and leaves" ... but my undergrad was Anthropology and I took a couple Anthro linguistics courses as electives...

My erudite and pompous point being that language is nothing if not dynamic...

I used to be such a nazi about things like your and you're, it and it's etc...but the older I get, and the more languages I study, the more I realize that ... the problem isn't people's usage of English.. it's english itself.

I signed up for the ghoti society once... ghoti, of course, spells "fish" under english spelling rules...

F = enough E = women sh = Constitution...

I really think that as we move toward a digital age.. USA needs two things.. the metric system and a unifon alphabet... we need 40 phoenetic characters... and I bet you could read anything.. it would also make typing easier because your fingers wouldn't be jammed into unnatural positions.. do you realize the typerwriter was set up QWERTY style on purpose so the most commonly used letters were FAR away from each other so keys wouldn't jam.. remember, the original typewriters had letter bars at the end of a lever that had to swing up and hit the page...

We are living with THAT 150 year old legacy ... I want a change! lol
    03-24-09 01:45 PM
    Simple forms of communication (speaking, writing) are overrated anyway. I've chosen to start communicating through telepathy. This way, grammatical errors will be a thing of the past and I'll be able to eat while I speak.
    And to think I was the only one with the capability to engage in this form of communication. The only times I have a little static and 'can you hear me now' moments are whenever that punk Professor X and/or Jean Grey) are in close proximity.

Jean Grey; if you're reading this...telepathy (no; not call) me up chica.
    03-24-09 02:01 PM
    Wow jdoc, You REALLY do have a dream.
    03-24-09 02:08 PM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD