Thanks Frank! I'll check it out!
    02-04-10 09:32 AM
    error: invalid manifest or application descriptor

Frank, I get "mldiet-name" attribue is missing.
    02-04-10 10:24 AM
    error: invalid manifest or application descriptor

Frank, I get "mldiet-name" attribue is missing.
    Same here. "MIDlet-Name" attribute missing
    When trying to access the website.
    02-04-10 11:22 AM
    I am going to remove the old link. Please use this link from now on.

Ok, my ISP is really starting to tick me off. I do not know what they did to break this. In the interim, try:

http://www.kaediil.com/DietTracker/DietTracker.jad

That file works fine and is EXACTLY the same file.

-frank
    Last edited by kaediil; 02-21-10 at 09:11 PM. Reason: ISP fixed problem, removed old link
    02-04-10 11:53 AM
    Ok, my ISP is really starting to tick me off. I do not know what they did to break this. In the interim, try:

http://firestrm.thruhere.net/DietTra...ietTracker.jad

That file works fine and is EXACTLY the same file.

-frank
    Thanks, it works on my Bold 9000
    02-04-10 12:24 PM
    Things should be working again at:

-frank

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    02-05-10 06:03 AM
    Thanks Frank, it works as expected on my Bold 9000.
    I do have 2 questions: (1) after calculating the point vale for a food and entering it on a date, is the calculated value saved so it can be retrieved quickly later on another day/meal if eaten again? (2) does the app run a total on points per day? Or is the app primarily a calculator for on-the-fly determining point values?
    02-05-10 11:32 AM
    After you calculate, there should be another button that appears to add it for a date. You can pick the date in case you forgot to add it some other day. It should then appear in the list by date. So, you can use it on the fly to check, then save it if you want to.

-frank

02-05-10 11:40 AM
    Ahh I see what you are asking. Sorry, no I did not save that food. Great idea though.

-frank

02-05-10 11:41 AM
    Don't get me wrong - it does just what you said it does, and I appreciate what you have provided. It must take a bit of extra effort to have it write to/retrieve from an external database. That's why those expensive apps like WW On the Go are ... expensive
    But just imagine the app using an Excel file sitting on the memory card, and someone else compiling a list of point values for common foods in addition to the user entering their own ... ahh, there's an app. Now if the user community would periodically submit or post their list of foods, so the 'Master' list could grow over time, what a great home-grown app THAT would be.
    02-05-10 11:49 AM
    It would never use an excel file since I don't know how to write to it. Again, I threw this together and as per my initial post, maybe I will add that as a paid upgrade

-frank

02-05-10 11:54 AM
    I see the challenge of writing to/from Excel. So a flat text file or BB db in the Diet Tracker format would work. I have used several BB and WinMo (curse the OS) apps that did just that, then exported a csv file on demand. I use the defunct (developer abandoned it) but still operational TimeLogMagic BB app for managing my billing time as a consultant, and it keeps project info, time logs, etc. in the db then sends info in csv format on demand (with an option to delete sent items and reduce the db afterwards).
    02-05-10 12:37 PM
    Yeah, I had a csv format that I tried to send as an attachment, but kept getting an error so I gave up and put it in the body of the email. There are a lot of things I could do to improve the app and all of those are good ideas, but they would for me go into a pay version of the app.

-frank

02-05-10 12:58 PM
    Ok, so I implemented the functionality to save foods after you calculate them. It saves the info in a text file on the SDCard. The cost is .99 for the functionality. Otherwise it just has the functionality it did. You can pick it up from

You can py through PayPal on my site
    http://www.kaediil.com

Be sure to put your phone pin number in the payment so I can send you an unlock code.

-frank

02-05-10 08:19 PM
    This thing works like a champ on the storm 2 9550. Only one addition of being able to see a running tally of your daily points used and subtracting it from your daily allowance would make it PERFECT! Thanks for what I'm sure was a TON of hard work!
    02-06-10 01:00 AM
    Ok, the very simple app I have is at http://www.kaediil.com/DietTracker.jad

It tracks food name, calories, fat and fiber content as well as points based on a well known formula from a company that helps Watch your Weight, but with whom I have no relation. It also allows you to send the recorded data to yourself which you can then copy into a spreadsheet.

The paid version tallys the daily point total, allows you to enter a personal daily point allowance and shows you the points remaining for the day and finally allows you to enter a food to save for rapid selection later.

It costs a whopping .99 and can be ordered through paypal from my site http://www.kaediil.com. I have to generate the codes by hand so please be patient.

I will admit it has not been horribly well tested yet, especially the paid portion but there are several users who have used the free version and there have been no issues.

-frank

02-10-10 11:29 PM
    Updated the app. Fixed the display to order everything by date. Now, this version supports only OS 4.5+ devices.

Point your blackberry browser at:

To purchase go to Home an head to the Products page.

Free features:
    1) Track food eaten per day with or without points calculated
    2) Ability to email saved food list

Paid features:
    1) Ability to save foods for quick use later
    2) Ability to add daily allowances for points and or calories
    3) If allowances entered, then the systems calculates remaining points and calories for each day

Added placeholders for exercise and creation of plans for weight loss. Depending upon feedback, those items may or may not be implemented. Purchase price remains 0.99 until I add the other two areas then the price will increase and anyone who has purchased at 0.99 will get a free upgrade.

Screenshots attached.

-frank
    Last edited by kaediil; 02-16-10 at 11:44 PM.
    02-16-10 11:42 PM
    Frank - the HOME page leads to a Product page but on Firefox, the link to download appears to be broken (I guess it should be navigated by the BB), but the link does work (jad) in IE.

If I wanted to purchase from Paypal, how? I see the card links? Ah, I see - it leads to paypal.
    02-17-10 12:27 AM
    Yes, the links are for over the air install, you must navigate to the app using your Blackberry. Navigating using your IE or Firefox will not work. As you stated, there should be a Paypal link off the products page to pay.

-frank

02-17-10 05:58 AM
    Well, somewhere along the line I broke the email portion of the app. I will fix that today.

-frank

02-17-10 07:19 AM
    Bug: FIBER values should not exceed a certain value. Futzing, I put in a very high value and I got NEGATIVE points.
    02-17-10 08:33 AM
    Bug: FIBER values should not exceed a certain value. Futzing, I put in a very high value and I got NEGATIVE points.
    Doing software testing as a part of my real job, I would not call this a bug - you've deliberately tested a boundary condition (entering an unrealistically high fiber content for the calorie and fat content) and the system used that to return the correct but equally unrealistic result. GIGO. (garbage in = garbage out). For it to be a bug, there would have to be a design requirement that points can be no less than zero which it not fulfilling.

In fact, this ability to calculate and 'add' a negative points value to the food list may be a 'back-door' way to enter exercise by recording it as a food once you know the points burn rate of an activity. This is one feature that this BB calculator does not include (how many additional points to your daily allowance performing an exercise activity produces), which for me is a major feature of the WW plan (and their on-line program). Using WW Online for six months taught me how to balance food and exercise and led me to a 35 lb weight loss (so far ...). What you'd need to do is learn the points value of a particular exercise and enter it as a food item.

So how's that for turning a perceived weakness into a design added-value!!!
    02-17-10 02:07 PM
    I like your approach to using the, er, FEATURE, to some benefit.

When I created a lotus, yes, lotus 123 formula on my hp200 palmtop, I reduced any value >4 to 4 (which I recall being the limit). Even if the limit was exceeded by less "permitted" by WW's formula could throw off points. There are breads and cereals that are higher than 4.

I recall asking about exercise points in the range of 13-16 (based on the time/intensity charts) and was told "WW does not countenance that level of activity." I assured my leader that I did that quite regularly in my hikes - two hours up with an elevation gain of 3,200 feet over 4 miles.

While I did quite well for 5 years, suddenly it all fell apart. What the program needs is a "cattle prod" extension where when you entering SNACKING points it sends out a short, sharp shock!!!!!
    Last edited by F2; 02-17-10 at 03:34 PM.
    02-17-10 03:31 PM
    That “feature” is now removed from the app.

On the exercise front I am working on something there. But I wanted to see what kind of interest I would get at .99 for what I have already. Quite frankly the results are..... underwhelming.

I am not complaining, the app is pretty basic, but it is also priced as a basic app (and remember after PayPal takes their cut we are talking .69 per copy for me). Once I add the exercise stuff the price will increase but the question for me is why bother? Very few bought at the low price even though they will get the exercise part as a free upgrade, so the higher price will be even less likely. I have unfortunately become very jaded on BB apps. The economics for a small developer is way out of whack. I will keep working on them because they are an interesting hobby, but it is pretty clear to me why there are 10's of thousands of apps for other phones and so few good ones for the BB.

-frank

02-17-10 04:52 PM
    I am going to try and get some exercise stuff in tonight.

I also found the USDA database of foods that I could include, but I am afraid it will slow things down way too much. It has 6000 foods in it and I cringe at trying to load and display that many items on the phone. So, I am not sure what to do there.

-frank

02-17-10 05:15 PM
110 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD