It seems Bitstream's Bolt Browser is getting a lot of interest and attention, so I figured I'd start up a thread here to keep the productive discussion in one place.

If you're not sure what it's about, follow the links below:

Preview: Bolt Browser for BlackBerry - Get Your Beta Copy!

Bolt Browser Website

If you're one of the lucky ones to get in on the Private Beta, use this thread to relate your findings! I'm liking the speed a LOT!!
    01-16-09 10:33 AM
    I just got the Beta invite. I am at work though, and the service in the building is not so good. I am going to have to try it out when I get out today.
    01-16-09 10:49 AM
    Have not had a long look YET, but initial impression is good. The browser started up quickly, and rendered beautifully. On the Storm it was easy to scroll the screen around, and then hover then press to activate a link with the on screen cursor (which was the default). Menu options are plentiful, but I have not had time yet to explore and customize. So far so like! More to come!
    01-16-09 11:39 AM
    Have not had a long look YET, but initial impression is good. The browser started up quickly, and rendered beautifully. On the Storm it was easy to scroll the screen around, and then hover then press to activate a link with the on screen cursor (which was the default). Menu options are plentiful, but I have not had time yet to explore and customize. So far so like! More to come!
    I'm with you i like what I've seen so far. It looks like it will def replace opera on my phone. When I get out my building I'm gonna give it whirl on 3g and wifi and see if it really is built for speed like they say
    01-16-09 11:44 AM
    I just get errors when I try and install. No luck for me.
    01-16-09 12:00 PM
    Looks good....... I'm still waiting for mine !!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-16-09 12:02 PM
    I just get errors when I try and install. No luck for me.
    Did you click the link in the email or did you copy and paste it?
    01-16-09 12:05 PM
    I'm liking the browser. It has some excellent speed rendering pages! As expected navigating the pages are a little choppy and not quite up to par yet, the cursor seems a little jumpy almost 100% of the time. I tried up the mobile view and was impressed w/ that as well. I am stoked to see what the final version brings to the BB community!
    01-16-09 12:35 PM
    I got mine. While it renders pages quickly, navigation is choppy and typing an address in the address bar is nearly unbearable.

I'm going to uninstall it and stick with the BB browser/Opera Mini.
    01-16-09 12:37 PM
    WOW How nice , It has great speed,like the pre-loaded bookmarks , only hang up is the same thing everyone else has been having ,(trackball) problems and the split screen is very irregular ,needs a little updating but, very nice happy to have the chance to check it out
    01-16-09 01:13 PM
    I tried downloading but it timed out the first time and now its saying url expired. I really want to try this out.

01-16-09 01:15 PM
    Mine says URL expired as well.

It only goes to the first link and then it says authentication failure.
    01-16-09 02:26 PM
    All I get is this error when I try to download it

907 Invalid JAR
    HTTP Error 406: Not Acceptable

01-16-09 03:18 PM
    I finally got my invite, and copied and pasted the unsigned link into the native BB browser. And now I'm posting from Bolt. Very cool so far. And pretty darn quick, even on my fairly poor EDGE signal at home.

01-16-09 03:27 PM
    Yes, folks need to go to the Bolt site and request the invite again using the CrackBerry code. I sent mine in at 4am and never got a thing. I just went back to their site and resent the request and the email followed seconds later.

Make sure and go back and re-request the email invite if you want in now and make sure and copy the unsigned version link into your browser! Do not click the link!! BlackBerries require the unsigned version and the link must be copied into the browser to work!!
    Last edited by Marine One; 01-16-09 at 03:43 PM.
    01-16-09 03:41 PM
    Posting now using Bolt and the non-wap CB. Agreed- the trackball/cursor movement needs some attention, but great potential here.
    01-16-09 03:48 PM
    I like it but I agree the scrolling/trackball needs work. I also am not crazy about the magnification compared to the BB browser.

Being able to download youtube vids from the non-mobile site is pretty cool. Not the same as using a PC yet since you have to save the video to your memory card to view it but we're making progress.
    01-16-09 03:53 PM
    Ditto on the trackball. Painful to use.
    01-16-09 03:55 PM
    Whats the secret to watching youtube videos with this? I get an error message "javax.microedition.io.ConnectionNotFoundException "
    01-16-09 04:09 PM
    Yes, folks need to go to the Bolt site and request the invite again using the CrackBerry code. I sent mine in at 4am and never got a thing. I just went back to their site and resent the request and the email followed seconds later.

Make sure and go back and re-request the email invite if you want in now and make sure and copy the unsigned version link into your browser! Do not click the link!! BlackBerries require the unsigned version and the link must be copied into the browser to work!!

Hmmmm... I was able to just click on the link in my gmail account and it d/l'd and installed without incident.

I've only used it a tiny bit, but other than the very choppy navigation, it isn't too shabby. It'll be interesting as it continues to evolve.
    01-16-09 04:15 PM
    I keep getting download fail due to authentication error. Has anyone had any luck installing this on the storm
    01-16-09 04:18 PM
    Is anyone else having the same problem where the esc button doesn't make hit "back'" on the browser?
    01-16-09 04:18 PM
    Whats the secret to watching youtube videos with this? I get an error message "javax.microedition.io.ConnectionNotFoundException "
    here's how I'm doing it:

Go to youtube

click on a video

Click Play video

Then a mesage appears that says BOLT is transcoding your video and to select "launch".

Hit the menu key and select launch

The browser will open and you'll be asked to open or save the item.

Click save. Click Save again.

it will download and yo can play it.

That said, i'st not working every time for me. Very sporadic and buggy.

Another issue: every time I start the Bolt browser and try and browse to a site I get this message first:

"this application BOLT has attempted to access us2.mysmallplanet. Would you like to allow this?" I hope this isn't a permanent message that pops every time you start the browser.

Also, having to use the menu to back out of a page will have to be addressed. Not intuitive at all.
    01-16-09 04:21 PM
    Got my link back in seconds and install went fine. Thanks Marine One for the tip.
    BlackBerries require the unsigned version
    Browser looks good, pages load fast,....navigation needs a little improving. Should be great after some tweaks!
    01-16-09 04:33 PM
    I am pretty impressed with its quickness, it renders pages pretty fast... MUCH faster than opera. I'm liking not having to read "downloading script" for 5 min before the thing loads. scrolling of the mouse icon could be faster, it's kinda laggy at the moment.

this is definitely gonna give Opera mini a run for its money once it's tweaked up.
    01-16-09 04:35 PM
606 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD