Was checking out Mobipocket yesterday but I have some questions, if anyone wants to help me out?

1. First of all, it's free right? I downloaded a free version and I just wanted to make sure that that's the only one out there...
    2. I noticed it's always running in the background. Why? And does that drastically drain the battery/slow down things?
    3. When I did a search for some books from my phone (through mobipocket), it didn't find some books. When I went to the mobipocket website, the books were there. Does that mean that not all books are available for OTA download?
    4. If I got a book from the website, how would I load it onto my phone?
    5.. Lastly, does anyone like it? I downloaded some samples yesterday and wasn't convinced... maybe I just miss turning pages...

Thanks!
    Last edited by pinkdaisy226; 05-09-08 at 12:14 PM.
    05-09-08 12:09 PM
    I use mobipocket and I luv it. I have caught up on so many books
    since i have been using it.

1. yes its free
    2. When you exit do it from the menu and it should close
    3. On the phone I beleive you can only search by title. Plug in the
    the title and the ebook should come up.
    4. you would buy the book from the site and then log in from your
    phone and you should see the book listed in your elibrary
    5. I luv it and i like the fact that when you open and close it takes you
    back to where you left off.

Enjoy!
    05-09-08 12:20 PM
    4. you would buy the book from the site and then log in from your
    phone and you should see the book listed in your elibrary
    Really?? Interesting...

One thing that was getting to me is whenever I switch applications (maybe to check an email) when I switch back it takes me to the mobipocket main menu, not to the page I was just on. That's kind of annoying...
    05-09-08 12:37 PM
    Really?? Interesting...

One thing that was getting to me is whenever I switch applications (maybe to check an email) when I switch back it takes me to the mobipocket main menu, not to the page I was just on. That's kind of annoying...
    well that I really can't comment on because i rarely use the switch
    application but I know when I am reading a book and close out of it
    and then reopen it opens at the page where I left off from reading.

Try it with one of the sample books.
    05-09-08 12:41 PM
    Really?? Interesting...

I use this product also, I enjoy it quite a bit (my wife says too much) I have noticed that same issue and it is quite annoying but I havnt found a way around it. One reason why you may not be able to see the books via mobireader is because of the format? I know that it uses .txt, .pdf, word, and .mob formats. unfortunatly many of my ebooks were .lit (ms reader format) so I had to find a converter to change it over to a different format. Maybe this helps, maybe it won't, I really enjoy the abilty to have so many books with me all the time.
    05-09-08 01:15 PM
    I exited from the menu and it's still running in the background. That's kind of annoying. On the other hand, I just downloaded a book I've been wanting to read for a while and so far so good.
    05-09-08 01:26 PM
    Okay some more questions:
    When you buy books from your phone, through the mobipocket site, does it ask you for your payment info every time? Is there any way to have it save your information? Although I could see that being dangerous for me if I found a lot of books I want to read...

Does anyone find themself reading particularly fast on this thing? I'm a pretty fast reader to begin with but I'm finding myself just flying through chapters when I'm reading on mobipocket. Just a random aside...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-09-08 04:52 PM
    I can't answer the first question as I've not actually bought a book from them, lol

I thought I was reading faster also, I just figured it only seemed that way because of the smaller pages. Then again, maybe its just one of those BlackBerry things, lol.
    05-09-08 05:15 PM
    I can't answer the first question as I've not actually bought a book from them, lol

I thought I was reading faster also, I just figured it only seemed that way because of the smaller pages. Then again, maybe its just one of those BlackBerry things, lol.
    What are you reading then? Which reminds me, I need suggestions of good things to read...

And okay, just checking. Like I said, I'm usually a fast reader so I try to pace myself, maybe just read a chapter at a time, but when I was reading today I was just noticing the chapters just felt so short. Or maybe it's just the book I'm reading...
    05-09-08 06:58 PM
    I actually read one of my books in one day and I guess because it was a really good book. I must say that I have spent too much money on buying ebooks but I just enjoy reading them on my berry!

05-09-08 07:29 PM
    What are you reading then? Which reminds me, I need suggestions of good things to read...

And okay, just checking. Like I said, I'm usually a fast reader so I try to pace myself, maybe just read a chapter at a time, but when I was reading today I was just noticing the chapters just felt so short. Or maybe it's just the book I'm reading...
    I read books, lol. I just don't pay. There are alot of places where they can be down loaded for free. A lot of the places have mainly classics (something about copyrights and dead authors) But if you know where to look you can find more current books that you would normally have to buy.

As far as I'm aware, all these links are free, if you discover any that are not, then please let me know and I will remove them from the list.

There are 19,000 free ebooks in the Project Gutenberg Online Book Catalogue.

Main Page - Gutenberg

Bibliomania - Free Online Literature and Study Guides

Online Books, Poems, Short Stories - Read Print

Read book online: Literature books,novels,short stories,fictions,poems,essays,plays,Pulitzer prize, Nobel prize

Let the Words Flow. - FictionPress.com

University of Virginia Library

Free-ebooks.net | Download free Fiction, Marketing,electronic publishing ebooks

ManyBooks.net - Free eBooks for your PDA, iPod, or eBook Reader

http://www.worldwideschool.org/library/c...

News, Magazines, Newspapers, Journals, Reference Articles and Classic Books - Free Online Library

Baen Free Library

eBooks Cube - Free ebooks online

Bookyards.com � Library to the world

Free Online Novels

Free Novels Online and Links to Other Free Online Cyber-Books

byGosh.com - Free Online, The Best Novels of the 20th Century - The Best Books of the 20th Century - Online Reading

You Asked for It Archive - BookSpot.com

The Literature Network: Online classic literature, poems, and quotes. Essays & Summaries

The Online Books Page

Alex Catalogue of Electronic Texts

Page By Page Books. Read Classic Books Online, Free.

Literature.org - The Online Literature Library

The Celebration of Women Writers.

http://digital.library.upenn.edu/women/w...

http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/ebooks/sub...

Probably not your brand new titles here but a classic never dies!!

On a side note: I did not compile this list, I only found it, I could not find the name of the person who had.
    05-09-08 08:30 PM
    How do I put an ebook I have already on the mobipocket? I can't find that out.
    05-10-08 10:37 AM
    How do I put an ebook I have already on the mobipocket? I can't find that out.
    Well, as long as it is a supported format and you have the Desktop reader it should be pretty simple. Open up the desktop reader on your PC. Drag your ebook file that you already have into the desktop reader. As long as it is a supported format it will do what ever it needs to do and and it will be in your library. Now, with the desktop reader open connect your BlackBerry to your PC. MobiDesktop Reader should recognize the device and ask to sync. At this time I think you can choose what titles you want on your phone. Here is a link with info too, I hope this helps.

Mobipocket ebook Reader
    05-10-08 02:24 PM
    Hi, sorry to dig this up and this may be a simple answer but it is bugging me.

On mobipocket there is a 1min / 4h 30m for example next to the book or the feed. What does this mean?

Is it just information, i do not understand why there would be the / 4h 30m?

Any ideas?
    06-19-08 07:36 AM
    I believe its just information. Sort of like a counter. I don't know how accuraten or for that matter hw accurate it could be but I think its just suppose to be another way to determine how far along you are in your book and nothing more

06-19-08 07:49 AM
    Yes, you are right

Those are timings:
    First one is how many min/hrs you have been reading the book and second one is estimated time that takes to read the book
    06-19-08 07:51 AM
    ah so I can race myself to see if I get it finished in the time they say I should!!

Thanks for help.
    06-19-08 07:58 AM
    awesome I use mobi reader on my PC with ebooks from our public library, I will have to try the BB version. Now I wonder is I can get the audio books from the libraries web site as well? I will have to look into this
    06-19-08 11:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD