I got an email yesterday from RIM claiming that they're at 20k apps now and climbing. Seems like a pretty good jump seeing as how less than a year ago it was just reaching 10k... I'm just curious if anyone has actually counted or if there's any official number that we can hold RIM accountable to? Seeing as BlackBerries are a dying breed it seems highly ilogical to think that they have other areas that are growing. So is this just some BS claim they're using to hype their products? Thoughts!?!?
    03-16-11 08:16 PM
    It's actually very easy to count and it's not bs...

You just add the totals for the categories of apps in appworld and you practically hit 20k on the torch alone, which isn't even supported by every app submitted.
    03-16-11 08:23 PM
    As of this moment, I count 24,775 in App World. I guess you can argue whether themes or individual e-books are "apps," but that's how many items are listed in App World. And there are thousands more, including many high-profile ones, available in other stores or direct from companies/developers.
    03-16-11 08:37 PM
    rememeber that 4k of those are bogus by one dev too
    03-16-11 08:50 PM
    Totally disagree that BlackBerry is a dying breed!
    03-17-11 05:57 AM
    And there are thousands more, including many high-profile ones, available in other stores or direct from companies/developers.
    This is a great point. I've got the standard BB & CrackBerry supersore app markets thus far, but I'd love to know of any others that you all might have to suggest...
    03-17-11 04:01 PM
    rememeber that 4k of those are bogus by one dev too
    ?

one dev? do explain please.
    03-17-11 04:02 PM
    One Developer Has 4300+ “Apps” in BlackBerry App World! - BerryReview

and this is a graph that shows how many are themes and these 4300 "apps". so really appworld has far less apps and games
    03-17-11 04:42 PM
    ^^ Every appstore lists their "numbers" in the same manner though. And rest assured the itunes store would have 100,000 themes listed as "applications" if Apple actually allowed you to theme the device...
    Last edited by papped; 03-17-11 at 04:55 PM.
    03-17-11 04:53 PM
    @howarmat I'm not trying to start an argument here, but I have a feeling that every app store looks a lot like that graph you posted (iTunes obviously doesn't have themes though).

I just checked iTunes, and seen that they have almost 40,000 paid books, and just over 6,000 free books. Looking through the first few pages I didn't recognize one book (not much of a reader, but still). I bet Apple counts all them in their app count. I'm sure the Android Market is about the same too. Now, there probably is some good books in iTunes, but there probably is in AppWorld too.

I just wanted to point out that RIM isn't doing anything different than its competitors are. I do agree that RIM is lacking in its app offering in some categories though...
    03-17-11 05:03 PM
    you guys missed the point. if you read the article it states the dev breaks up the books even. Mark twain was like 8 "apps" and so on and so forth. The books are actually free books to download too. im not saying books and themes shouldnt count since the other markets do count them also. Its just the point that this one "dev" is taking something already free from the site mentioned in the article and then releasing 1 book as 8 seperate entities or whatever.
    03-17-11 05:23 PM
    you guys missed the point. if you read the article it states the dev breaks up the books even. Mark twain was like 8 "apps" and so on and so forth. The books are actually free books to download too. im not saying books and themes shouldnt count since the other markets do count them also. Its just the point that this one "dev" is taking something already free from the site mentioned in the article and then releasing 1 book as 8 seperate entities or whatever.
    Right. I just don't particularly see what bearing that has on the appworld overall.

1) the dev has to pay per # of application slots (20 i think?), which makes it kinda stupid to do....
    2) the original count argument in the post is still valid regardless.
    03-17-11 05:31 PM
    right now i think it might be free to submit apps.
    03-17-11 05:37 PM
    Really? I didn't know they changed it. I guess maybe it temporarily makes sense to garner PB support.
    03-17-11 05:39 PM
    yes they waived the $200 sign up fee and i think give you 20 free credits for now. im not totally sure what else they give you right now
    03-17-11 05:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD