I was getting this issue but since updating to .419 a few days ago I havent had any problem at all.

I'm on 419 and have the problem.
    01-20-10 10:56 AM
    This seemed to have avoided the "IT Policy Restrictions" issue when trusting the certificate:

'You are attempting to open a secure connection, but the server's certificate is not trusted.' - Mobile Help

I have the Google Voice, Google Search, and Google Sync app, but there was only one entry for "www.google.com" in my trusted certificate store, but I followed the directions anyways, and it worked for me.

If you're using the Gmail application on a BlackBerry device, your phone may display this error because of an issue with how Gmail's security certificates are stored on your device.

To resolve this issue:

1. On your BlackBerry's main menu, select Settings > Security Options > Certificates
    2. Find the 'www.google.com' certificate and select it
    3. Press < Menu >
    4. Select Trust (At this point, it might ask for your keystore password)

The following steps can be ignored (it did not work for me/not applicable):
    5. Press < Menu > again on the certificate
    6. Select Details
    7. Select Fetch Status

Please note the above steps have been found to resolve this error. Trusting the certificate directly from within the error message itself likely will not resolve the issue, and your phone may subsequently give the following error message: 'The certificate could not be added to the Trusted Key Store due to IT Policy restrictions.' We recommend following the above steps in order to resolve the original error.
    01-20-10 03:38 PM
    I did what my nameismerlin did and I think it works now. For some reason you can't trust the certificate when it pops up with that error. You have to go into your options/security options/certificates and go down to the certificate, in this case it's near the bottom under www*google*com. click on the menu and then select trust, it'll ask you for some password for your trusted key store. Put that in and it will switch from a red X to a green checkmark. I think it has worked for me. I'll let you know if I get that error again.
    01-20-10 11:30 PM

1. On your BlackBerry's main menu, select Settings > Security Options > Certificates
    3. Press < Menu >
    Nice find and thanks for sharing! I seem to have a keystore password set, but sadly I don't know what it is. After doing some searching it seems that the only way to fix an unknown keystore password is to wipe the phone - dag nabbit - I guess I'll have to live with the certificate error until there's another OS update for the 8310...

Hopefully this will work for others at least.
    01-21-10 08:08 AM
    Go to Options>security>advanced security options>key stores>and set certificate status expires after to "never" and syncronize key store password to device password to "yes". You will need to enter your password to confirm

Then go into Options>security>advanced security options>certificates, hover over Google Thawte SGC CA, hit Blackberry key and select "trust"
    01-21-10 09:00 AM
    Don't even have Thawte SGC CA certificate. I get the error every time google sync runs.
    01-21-10 09:15 AM
    I don't have a Google certificate.

The only one that has the red 'x' is VeriSign/RSA Secure Server Root.

I changed the key store options, however.
    01-21-10 09:54 AM
    Google isn't listed in my certs list
    01-21-10 09:55 AM

Ditto, that RSA one expired earlier this month.
    01-21-10 10:04 AM
    try pulling the battery and then check certificates, I couldn't see the google one at the very bottom of the list untill I did this.

mine is from the google voice app, the thing is that the certificate isn't even expired untill 2011 if you look at the details.

really annoying.
    01-21-10 10:29 AM
    It worked for me on a 9700 on TMO-US with OS 5.0.0.423, including the Fetch and save cert status.

My "www google com" cert now has a check mark next to it.
    01-21-10 11:05 AM
    Did a battery pull and still no www.google cert
    01-21-10 11:20 AM
    When I was prompted a few minutes ago, I added it to my trust store and then it appeared in my list.
    01-21-10 11:28 AM
    Are you sure that your keystore password is not the same as your device password?

Go to Options < Security Options < Key Stores and see if the "Synchronize Key Store Password" is set to Device Password.

Nice find and thanks for sharing! I seem to have a keystore password set, but sadly I don't know what it is. After doing some searching it seems that the only way to fix an unknown keystore password is to wipe the phone - dag nabbit - I guess I'll have to live with the certificate error until there's another OS update for the 8310...

Hopefully this will work for others at least.
    01-21-10 12:00 PM
    Silly question-have you used the DM to update the root certificates?

01-21-10 12:40 PM
    This seemed to have avoided the "IT Policy Restrictions" issue when trusting the certificate:

'You are attempting to open a secure connection, but the server's certificate is not trusted.' - Mobile Help

I have the Google Voice, Google Search, and Google Sync app, but there was only one entry for "www.google.com" in my trusted certificate store, but I followed the directions anyways, and it worked for me.

If you're using the Gmail application on a BlackBerry device, your phone may display this error because of an issue with how Gmail's security certificates are stored on your device.

To resolve this issue:

3. Press < Menu >

6. Select Details
    7. Select Fetch Status

Please note the above steps have been found to resolve this error. Trusting the certificate directly from within the error message itself likely will not resolve the issue, and your phone may subsequently give the following error message: 'The certificate could not be added to the Trusted Key Store due to IT Policy restrictions.' We recommend following the above steps in order to resolve the original error.
    Thanks for the info. I now see the green X next to the certificate.
    01-21-10 12:59 PM
    I have an orange question mark next to mine.
    01-21-10 01:01 PM
    Yeah, I have a orange X next to mine, but it SAYS it's explicitly trusted, so oh well. We'll see if this gets rid of the error.
    01-21-10 03:57 PM
    Mine doesn't say mail*google*com either, it says VeriSign/RSA Secure Server

After following the steps, I still have a red x as well, although it says explicitly trusted. But it said that before I did the listed steps.

The only thing different is it didn't give me the "fetch" option; it fetched as soon as I clicked "Details."

I'm running 4.7.1.61. I'm running GoogleSync, Gmail (not the app) and Google Maps. No Google voice.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by TravellingFool; 01-21-10 at 04:34 PM.
    01-21-10 04:30 PM
    I think this is related to Google changing their mail and other apps to use https after the hacking incident in China. Gmail, GVoice, Wave now all use a secure connection instead of http... That's why it suddenly wants a cert.
    01-21-10 08:27 PM

To resolve this issue:

3. Press < Menu >

6. Select Details
    7. Select Fetch Status
    For those of you (like me) that have tried this and it doesn't work due to not having a 'www.google.com' certificate, I finally figured out how to work around it.

1) Connect your BB to your computer and fire up Destop Manager
    2) Once connected, click 'Synchronize Certificates' icon
    3) CREATE a Key Store Password
    4) Click Synchronize certificates button - a bunch of certs will now show up on your computer screen
    5) Disconnect your BB and wait for the popup to happen again.
    6) Attempt to 'Trust' the certificate and input your newly created Key Store password. IT WILL RETURN AN ERROR MESSAGE saying you lack the rights or something like that
    7) From here, begin the above process (1. On your BlackBerry's main menu, select Settings > Security Options > Certificates) etc.

When you do, the Google certificate should now show up.
    01-23-10 05:26 PM
    I am running a 9700 with OS 5.0.0.405 and have the following Google applications installed:

- Google Gmail (2.0.7)
    - Google Maps (3.2.1)
    - Google Mobile App (3.5.48)
    - Google Sync (0.5.15)
    - Google Voice (0.1.6)

I have been having this error for the past 2 weeks. I have done all the steps previously stated as (most recently by mikestorm) being the steps needed to resolve the issue.

With the countless searches made on this issue, it is definitely seems to be a widespread issue. Does anyone know of any other steps needed which could truely resolve this issue or is this some that that either RIM or Google need to address on their end?
    Last edited by wstahlm80; 01-24-10 at 04:44 PM. Reason: added app versions
    01-24-10 04:29 PM
    For those of you (like me) that have tried this and it doesn't work due to not having a '...' certificate, I finally figured out how to work around it.

1) Connect your BB to your computer and fire up Destop Manager
    2) Once connected, click 'Synchronize Certificates' icon
    3) CREATE a Key Store Password
    4) Click Synchronize certificates button - a bunch of certs will now show up on your computer screen
    5) Disconnect your BB and wait for the popup to happen again.
    6) Attempt to 'Trust' the certificate and input your newly created Key Store password. IT WILL RETURN AN ERROR MESSAGE saying you lack the rights or something like that
    7) From here, begin the above process (1. On your BlackBerry's main menu, select Settings > Security Options > Certificates) etc.

When you do, .... certificate should now show up.
    My Blackberry Desktop Manager does not have the "Synchronize Certificates" button that you're talking about. I have 5.0.1, which I believe is the latest version.
    01-24-10 06:11 PM
    I'm having this problem, but my primary computer is a Linux machine and I don't use Blackberry Manager. I wonder if the only workaround is to find a Windows machine and perform the above procedure?
    01-25-10 09:45 AM
    My Blackberry Desktop Manager does not have the "Synchronize Certificates" button that you're talking about. I have 5.0.1, which I believe is the latest version.
    The Synchronize Certificates button will have to be installed as it's not installed by default.

1) Download the standalone DM software (available on the RIM website).
    2) Close out the running DM software (but do not uninstall).
    3) Execute the downloaded DM software.
    4) Choose to "modify" the existing software.
    5) Select the "synchronize certificate" to install.
    6) Now the icon is part of your DM.

After I synchronized, I haven't received the error (it's been 1 day), but if I do I will then do the security, certificates thing.
    01-28-10 06:51 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD