Hey guys!

I'm hoping to pick up the Blackberry Tour once my contract expires in July (What good timing, lol).

Anyways, GPS is always a big thing for me and I've had the VZWnav, but i just do not want to spend 10 dollars a month for it. Now I do know that there is a "map" app that is pre-loaded that is able to take addresses and give a list of directions, like what mapquest would do.

But what i really need is something that tells me when a turn is coming up, and telling me when to turn, etc.

So are there any free apps that fit this description? Or are they all having to be paid for?
    05-18-09 10:30 PM
    amazeGps is free
    05-18-09 10:32 PM
    Nav4All is also another freebie...
    05-18-09 10:33 PM
    But how well do those both work?
    05-18-09 10:59 PM
    But how well do those both work?
    I haven't had any issues with either. Considering they're free, they're pretty good. They most certainly get the job done...
    05-18-09 11:01 PM
    so... They'll say "turn right at next intersection" or something?
    05-18-09 11:06 PM
    so... They'll say "turn right at next intersection" or something?
    Yupyup. Both amAze and Nav4All.
    05-18-09 11:08 PM
    Where can they be downloaded???
    Last edited by amitppatel; 05-18-09 at 11:17 PM.
    05-18-09 11:11 PM
    wap.amazegps.com
    05-19-09 12:58 AM
    But will they work on a Verizon Curve? My Curve has the GPS locked except for VZNav and BBMaps.
    05-19-09 06:28 AM
    Nav4All is free until 1/1/2010. It looks like they are going to charge after that.

amAzeGPS says they will continue to be free. I actually prefer amAze over Nav4All. It gives you a choice of arrows or actual maps (Nav4All is just arrows), work with bluetooth audio (both do) and (for me) seems to be more accurate than Nav4All.

I only use amAze when on the motorcycle. My BB is bluetoothed into my helmet so I can hear audio. Garmin's software doesn't work over bluetooth audio, so I can't hear directions. amAze does, so it works well when I am on the bike.
    05-19-09 07:50 AM
    But will they work on a Verizon Curve? My Curve has the GPS locked except for VZNav and BBMaps.
    Nav4All will work with a bluetooth GPS puck. I have not been able to get AmazeGPS to work in anyway shape or form with my curve. It will just not find satellites.
    Last edited by roeod4; 05-19-09 at 08:56 AM.
    05-19-09 08:52 AM
    Nav4All will work with a bluetooth GPS puck. I have not been able to get AmazeGPS to work in anyway shape or form with my curve. It will just not find satellites.
    Same here...I hate Verizon, I wish they'd just open up the native GPS on the Curve for ALL THIRD PARTY APPS.
    05-19-09 11:48 AM
    Same here...I hate Verizon, I wish they'd just open up the native GPS on the Curve for ALL THIRD PARTY APPS.
    *cough* debrand *cough*
    05-19-09 12:23 PM
    So is this problem found only in the Verizon Curve or all Verizon Blackberries? Because supposedly... or from what I can understand... The Tour will have full and unlimited GPS capabilities so if it really does, would it have the same problem that people are facing with the curve?
    05-19-09 03:51 PM
    *cough* debrand *cough*
    Will that work for unlocking the GPS? You would still get the same service books from the carrier wouldn't you?
    05-19-09 04:56 PM
    I'm pretty sure the gps locking is done through the carrier branding...
    05-19-09 05:03 PM
    Is there a program to easily find a locatio that I have identified on Google Maps for PC, either by entering the URL or the lang/lon ???
    06-05-09 04:01 AM
    Verizon's GPS access is through PDE authorization. Each application is given a username and password to access VZW's PDE network (GPS/Tower information). At least, that is my understanding. Without PDE access, apps are locked out of accessing GPS information.

The Storm and Tour look like they both have dual-mode GPS, which allows them to bypass the PDE requirement. This lets the Storm have more access to GPS over the Curve, Pearl, and 8830WE.
    06-05-09 10:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD