If you've had a Treo or use IM, you know the value of threading, and you know the BB sure could use it!

So we've added true SMS threading to our Group SMS Starter app because the native SMS app on the BB needs a major overhaul.

Our goal - to create a fast threaded SMS app that lets you read and send SMS messages in as few clicks as possible!

Here are the features we've built in:
    -popup displaying new messages for true "no-handed" access (configurable to on or off)
    -IM or Normal message display style
    -fast retrieval of messages and threads
    -no limit on messages stored (no more auto-deleted messages!)
    -send archived history of messages to your e-mail
    -direct-send to multiple recipients or start a group SMS chat!
    -easily create groups and subgroups
    -show thread view on 1 line or 2 lines

It's a beta so please let us know your thoughts, feedback, or bugs!

The beta is a free 7 day OTA trial version. Point your BB browser to:

3jam

Thanks!
    Enlai
    10-06-08 12:26 AM
    Does this automatically store received and outgoing messages on 3jam?
    10-06-08 12:31 AM
    It's a nice app but, is there a way to have it mark the messages as read or opened in the messages box when viewed in 3jam?

It's kind of annoying that you have to go back and mark them as read seperately.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-06-08 12:50 AM
    Sunkast, no it doesn't store direct SMS messages on 3jam because it sends and receives using the BB's native SMS API directly. It only archives the conversation in your 3jam Inbox if you are using the group messaging option because group messaging requires 3jam's messaging infrastructure (you can then log in to continue your conversation online if you choose).

BlitzedATL, we're working on it but we need BB's internal APIs to do this so there is no easy solution at the moment. The simplest solution is to separate your SMS from your email (open Messages->Options->General Options->SMS and Email Inboxes [Separate]) and then you can ignore the new SMS messages. Because each new SMS pops up, you won't miss any new messages. If you click Reply, the 3jam app will show if you have new messages in each thread.

Thanks!
    Last edited by enlai_chu; 10-06-08 at 01:02 AM.
    10-06-08 12:57 AM
    Ok. Cool.
    Otherwise I like it.

10-06-08 01:00 AM
    It's a nice app but, is there a way to have it mark the messages as read or opened in the messages box when viewed in 3jam?

It's kind of annoying that you have to go back and mark them as read seperately.

Basically. I agree
    10-06-08 09:13 AM
    Good work.
    Stay up...

Dm
    10-06-08 09:41 AM
    *sigh* We've done this before and once again I'll say I think its very counter productive to have to exit the messaging application and mark messages read that you've already read.

10-06-08 01:26 PM
    Agreed @ COunter productive.
    10-06-08 02:30 PM

Fix this and you will sell hundreds, maybe thousands of copies..
    10-06-08 04:50 PM
    Fix this and you will sell hundreds, maybe thousands of copies..
    Agreed but until then the app is (IMO) useless.

10-06-08 06:46 PM
    Thanks for the input, everyone. May I ask if you've tried the app?

I understand that deleting or marking messages in the native SMS app as read is a pain but many users have found that they simply ignore the new message indicator in the native SMS app once you start using the threaded app. Why? Because that indicator is no longer relevant. You won't miss any messages because the popup tells you when you have a message, and the thread list show if you have unread messages in it.

Why is there no need to delete the "read" messages in the native SMS app? Because the BB will delete them from the native SMS app as you need space. That's why older (or even new) messages sometimes seem to "disappear" automatically, which is not a good thing when you want to refer to specific SMS messages and you realize that they're not there any more.

We have many users who, at first, point out the issue you mention, but they love the app once they try it because it totally changes the way you send and receive messages - it's so much faster and more efficient.

Please give it a shot for a few days and if you don't think it adds any value, it's easily un-installable. But I think you'll see what I mean once you try it!

BTW, we *are* still working hard to talk to RIM and see if we can get internal API access to the status bar

Thanks,
    Enlai
    Last edited by enlai_chu; 10-06-08 at 10:54 PM.
    10-06-08 10:48 PM
    storm support?
    12-29-08 01:13 PM
    Subscribed

12-29-08 02:23 PM
    I do a lot of txting, bbm, google talk, aim, and 3 email accts. My messages seem cluttered and wanted something to thread them together. I know. RIM does this but they forgot about the inbox.

I installed on my storm. OS .75. Seems to work just fine. I don't like that it doesn't mark msgs read so you will still have the icon in the status bar. Like the interface, nice if you could customize. Like the alert pop up. Haven't used the group sms, and probably won't.

Overall pretty good stuff, not worth ten bucks quite yet imo.

12-30-08 12:20 AM
    Useful app gents.
    once the duality of marking as read is done it will be perfect (along with all the tweaks and fixes mentioned above)
    Last edited by hagosrush; 12-30-08 at 12:51 AM. Reason: addtl' info
    12-30-08 12:45 AM
    I get a page not found error when I go to their website.
    12-30-08 10:50 AM
    Any work being done to support the storm?....please!!!
    12-30-08 12:20 PM
    Any work being done to support the storm?....please!!!
    agreed (10)
    12-30-08 03:52 PM
    Make sure compatibility mode is off for storm. Works for me.

Possible bug: tapping threads/dates from the main screen highlights them all at once. Maybe just aesthetic

12-31-08 09:58 AM
    For the Developers:

I keep receiving some error about my sim card is full and I must delete some messages.My messages are not saved to my sim...
    12-31-08 11:54 AM
    I will have to wait until I receive an SMS. Once I do I will Post right away.
    12-31-08 12:00 PM
    obviously wrong link
    12-31-08 12:08 PM
    how do i post an image here? as it is asking for a link and i do not have one

nevermind...used my godaddy account. sorry for the trouble.
    Last edited by hagosrush; 12-31-08 at 12:23 PM. Reason: speeling mistake
    12-31-08 12:09 PM
    I received the following error message after about sixty or so text messages using 3Jam.

Last edited by hagosrush; 12-31-08 at 12:23 PM.
    12-31-08 12:12 PM
95 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD