What are the advantages or disadvantages of one over the other?

I haven't used either but need take the dive.

If this question has been posted before, I couldn't find it.
    09-13-07 12:29 AM
    I would recommend trying both - we both offer trial versions

If you want to learn a bit more about the features BBSmart Email Viewer offers, have a read of this review which was recently posted on BerryReview (we won the Editor's Choice Award and received a score of 9.5/10)

Review: BBSmart HTML Email Viewer - Version 2.3 | BerryReview

We are also currently running a 20% discount. See the above review for details.

Cheers,
    eZainny.
    09-13-07 05:31 AM
    I've had my 8300 for about 3 weeks now. I downloaded both trial versions - BBSmartViewer has a # of neat features (customizable signature's, variable font settings, SmartSay, etc).

When I downloaded the Empower trial version it crashed my device and I had to reload. I was never able to get that piece of software working.

I purchased the full version of BBSmart Viewer and have been very happy with it so far.
    09-13-07 08:04 AM
    I personally tried both and empower seemed to load faster for me. I did not get the annoying bar that had me wait for the page to load. Just my $ 0.2

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-19-07 11:38 AM
    Accordiong to last message,

The price for one, the bar of the other help me to made of my mind very quickly.... I let you guess which one i've chosen.

The order sak me only 2 seconds to check my info and my credit card then the download link appear...

Downloaded, installed .... and uses without having to do anything... Wonderful

Geo
    09-30-07 11:59 AM
    I used BBSmart on my 8703e and now I use Empower on my Curve.
    Both are good applications. And I really don't have a favorite between the two.
    09-30-07 01:26 PM
    I used BBSmart on my 8703e and now I use Empower on my Curve.
    Both are good applications. And I really don't have a favorite between the two.
    I tried both, since most of the BBsmart features weren't available for my 7250, they were about the same. The only difference was the price. So I went with Empower.

Although, I got empower viewer free because I was a beta tester. But, it would have been the one I purchased.
    09-30-07 02:10 PM
    Thanks for the input. I tried both in late Sept, but had a problem loading empower, so I went with BBSmart. It has worked very well and made viewing e-mails so much more. I would have liked Empower to work (if only because of the price).

Thanks again.
    10-04-07 10:05 PM
    I too am trying to figure out which one works better for me. I installed EmpowerHTML Viewer on my 8830 just fine but I got quite a few Java exception errors when trying to reply to e-mails. It seemed to happen after I had typed about 4 or 5 sentences and sometimes it would save changes but sometimes not. After about the 3rd time this happened with e-mail I have uninstalled and am trying BBMail now. Has anyone else experienced this Java exception error? I am also trialing BES Mailbox (which is an easy buy) and InstaSpell (not sure if I need it) and am hoping that Empower HTML View wasn't interacting with one of those 2 since they are all the same company. Very odd behavior.

So far I like BBMail but I liked Empower better. If it wasn't for those pesky Java exception errors I woulda bought both HTML Viewer and BES Mailbox by now. Thoughts?
    --Denny
    10-07-07 06:04 PM
    I too am trying to figure out which one works better for me. I installed EmpowerHTML Viewer on my 8830 just fine but I got quite a few Java exception errors when trying to reply to e-mails. It seemed to happen after I had typed about 4 or 5 sentences and sometimes it would save changes but sometimes not. After about the 3rd time this happened with e-mail I have uninstalled and am trying BBMail now. Has anyone else experienced this Java exception error? I am also trialing BES Mailbox (which is an easy buy) and InstaSpell (not sure if I need it) and am hoping that Empower HTML View wasn't interacting with one of those 2 since they are all the same company. Very odd behavior.

So far I like BBMail but I liked Empower better. If it wasn't for those pesky Java exception errors I woulda bought both HTML Viewer and BES Mailbox by now. Thoughts?
    --Denny
    I get the occassional java exception error, but not very often. Maybe 2-3 times over the last few months.

I am running both instaspell and empower email viewer on my 7250.

If you are having problems, try sending them an email or you can send a message to Ani on this site. He is the developer. Very friendly, and always willing to help.

I don't know if you need instaspell, because I believe the 8830 has a spell check built in. It just isn't an as you type style.
    10-07-07 07:31 PM
    Yeah I already sent them an e-mail. The occasional Java Exception error would be ok but I kept getting it repeatedly when trying to reply to a message at the airport and it was annoying. It happened probably 3 or 4 times each with 4 different messages. I'll let you know what I find out.
    --Denny
    10-07-07 07:45 PM
    Yeah I already sent them an e-mail. The occasional Java Exception error would be ok but I kept getting it repeatedly when trying to reply to a message at the airport and it was annoying. It happened probably 3 or 4 times each with 4 different messages. I'll let you know what I find out.
    --Denny
    Mine are not even close to being that frequent. I hope you do get it working though, it is a nice program.
    10-07-07 07:52 PM
    I am just getting things set up and trying both, and I was wondering why people would get bbsmart when empower is $15 less! Anything I'm missing?
    I saw the berryview comparison review...
    but empower seems to be better except for PIM integration. Is that aspect very important? Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.
    11-18-07 05:27 PM
    I recently tried both.

I went with BBSmart because of the added features of smartnote/add as task/add to calender. Wonderful to be able to add full e-mail as text to my tasks and such.

my .02cents.
    11-18-07 05:37 PM
    Are either of these available for the Verizon 8130 Pearl yet?
    11-20-07 02:13 PM
    I think these have always been compatible with the pearl, from what I read on the websites.
    11-21-07 01:18 PM
    I see BBSmart has to go to the internet everytime you want to view an e mail, would this use up a lot of bandwith viewing about 25 emails a day?

Thanks
    11-21-07 03:30 PM
    There doesn't seem to be many apps out there compatable with 4.3.0.71. I would love to have an email app and maybe a browser app. Neither Empower or BBSmart will load on my phone. Any suggestions, (other than wait)?
    12-01-07 12:30 AM
    Hi cdmaguy,

BBSmart Email Viewer is compatible with the 4.3 OS.

To install, using your BlackBerry, navigate to the following website using the Blackberry Internet Browser:
    Code:
    http://www.blackberrysmart.com/otatrial.html
    Pick the 8130 (4.3 OS) install file on the website that loads and then just follow on through the prompts.

Cheers,
    eZainny.
    Last edited by eZainny; 12-01-07 at 02:51 AM.
    12-01-07 02:48 AM
    I demo'd both. Empower felt faster due to no "images loading" bar. I thought I wanted the bbsmart calendar/task feature for my work emails but in reality, work emails aren't html anyway. I deleted both and use the built-in app for work and gmail mobile for my personal stuff. Works for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-11-07 06:53 PM
    I got my bb (technically it's my wifes) in September. Love it, I play with it whenever I can. I've installed lots of free apps, with the plan of buying some apps for xmas -- It counts as a gift for her

Was planning to buy BBsmart (& JiveTalk) after reviewing the posts. Seemed liked the app of choice. Lots of good posting after the September 11th review by berryreview.

Didn't give it more thought until I saw today's review of Empower HTML. Great to have a choice. I'm gonna try both trial versions and let my wife decide between the two.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Updated:

We tried both over the hollidays. My wife chose Empower HTML Pro for mainly two reasons. It is faster & it's cheaper ($15 this month only).

Things I noticed: Both apps run well. BBSmart does a little better rendering the page. Empower HTML has some blank black areas where either pictures or background should be. BBSmart appears to run only when the HTML email is opened, hince the progress bar and delay while downloading pictures. Nice, if you don't like apps running in the background (me). Annoying, if you expect it to be as fast as opening SMS msgs (my wife). Empower prefeches pictures so emails open right away. I like that it caches picutes on my SD card where I have the space. The first day or so, I saw Empower in my "Switch To" menu, but it has since dissappeared. If you want speed, get Empower. If you want low-overhead, get BBSmart.
    Last edited by RickMarshall; 12-27-07 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Went with Empower HTML Pro
    12-18-07 04:40 PM
    There doesn't seem to be many apps out there compatable with 4.3.0.71. I would love to have an email app and maybe a browser app. Neither Empower or BBSmart will load on my phone. Any suggestions, (other than wait)?
    Just be patient. I'm running 4.5 on my curve and its the same deal it just doesnt work.
    04-03-08 06:27 PM
    Do you need BIS for them?
    10-18-10 08:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD