I've had my 8800 for about 10 days now, and I think I can finally give a review of what I think about it.

First off, getting the 8800 was not easy. I had a difficult time finding a local store that had one in stock, or even knowing what I was talking about when I asked about the 8800. I finally found a store that had one and only one available. Now that I had found one available for sale, I had to figure out how I was going to purchase it. I am a T-mobile customer, and this device is only available in the U.S. from Cingular. I decided to take advantage of my parent's account with Cingular and told the store rep that I was it as a gift for my father. They bought the story, and within about 10 minutes I was walking out with my new 8800.

I took it home and immediately unboxed it. Much to my surprise, there was a nice leather holster included. This is something that was missing from the launch of the Pearl, and I guess RIM learned from that mistake. The next thing I had to do was unlock the phone so I could use it on T-Mobile. I turned to GSM Phone Source. I have used them in the past with great success and once again, they pulled through for me. Within about 6 hours, I had my unlock code, and I was ready to start using my 8800.

While I had been waiting for the unlock code, I went ahead and got the device ready to use. I started up Desktop Manager v4.2 and used the switch device wizard to transfer info from my Pearl to the 8800. I then turned to BlackberryForums, and used the modified Blackberry.alx file to all unlock vendor themes, and the modified LBS.alx to get the internal GPS working.
    http://www.blackberryforums.com/ring...-4-2-only.html
    I really like the T-Mobile Zen that was on the Pearl, and you have to unlock all vendor themes to get this on the 8800. Also, it appears that Cingular left out BB Maps from the device possibly in an attempt to get users to purchase TeleNav service from them. With the modified LBS.alx, you will find the option to install BB Maps in the App Loader. Before you will be able to use these new .alx files, you'll first have to download the 8800 OS from Cingular and install it on your system. Once you have this downloaded and installed along with the new .alx files, run the Desktop Manager and you should be prompted to upgrade. Follow instructions, and you'll be ready to go in no time.

Now that the software is up to speed for me, and my unit has been unlocked, I am ready to start using the 8800. I first have to log on to my BIS and tell it to switch PIN's associated with my account. This is accomplished with no problems. It sends all my service books and my email accounts are up and running. I then notify all my BB Messenger contacts of my new PIN and have that updated as well.

I found that phone quality on the 8800 was clear. I could hear easily, and no one that I called reported any problems or issues on their end. The speakerphone is also loud and clear, and seems to sound better to me than the one on the Pearl.

Using the keyboard is another issue. For those of you that have seen pictures of the 8800, you can see that all the keys are very close together. RIM added a raised edge on all the keys to make it easier for the user to type whatever letter. To me, I found it just as easy to type on this keyboard, as I did on my 8700. However, I can see where users of a 72XX series BB will have difficulty getting used to this. Keyboard shortcuts are still present, just as they have been in previous BB's, and you can go to Stinsonddog's tip sheet to get all the tips and tricks. http://home.comcast.net/~tamsterra/index.html

The built-in GPS is slow to launch initially, but once it had a lock on the satellite, it was very accurate and would do a good job of getting me where I needed to go. I would not recommend using this as your primary in-car navigation device, but if traveling it would work in a pinch.

Being a former user of the Pearl, I really liked the fact that the 8800 also includes the trackball. I find it easier to navigate your way through whatever program you are using on the BB.

The MicroSD card is another great addiction that allows me to store movies, music, ringtones, and photo's on the device. You previously could install only limited amounts of media to your device, dependant on how much free memory you had leftover from your device memory. I have a 1GB card installed with one movie, a couple of CD's, and several photo's.

The media player on the 8800 seems to be a little faster than the one on the Pearl. I have not had much time to put it to full use yet, but I'm sure someone will come along here shortly that has, and add in their two cents.

That's it for now, please let me know if you have any questions, or if your curious about something I may have inadvertently left out.
    03-04-07 11:06 PM
    Great to read an honest review...just a question though, whilst its obvious the 8800 is a better allround phone over the other BBs, if someone doesnt use the BB for things like media etc...is it still worth the jump?

I am very addicted to the Track Wheel over the Pearls' Trackballs...not sure if i could ever get over that part? Am i beingstupid?

03-05-07 03:16 AM
    I'd say that if media and GPS are not that important to you, then stick with the 8700.

As far as the trackwheel to trackball issue... I thought the same at first, but after a few weeks of using the trackball, I came to like it better, and now prefer it. From what I have read on other sites, it looks like the trackwheel is going to be a thing of the past and the trackball is replacing it.
    03-05-07 03:21 AM
    No TrackWheel?

Guess i had practice then.....I guess its not a big deal but old habit die hard!

03-05-07 04:20 AM
    hmmmmmmmmmmmm

still not convinced..

while im all for device intergration theres some part of me that knows the my BB should only be a phone/email/messenger device.. it shouldn't replace my ipod or digi cam...

fatreg
    03-10-07 08:37 AM
    I think you are absolutely right. I would not use this to replace an ipod, but I think it'll work as a MP3 device when you don't have your ipod with you. As far as the camera (not on the 8800, but on the 8100)... definitely not a replacement until they come out with at least a 5.0 megapixel version. Not holding my breath for that to happen anytime soon.
    03-10-07 11:36 AM
    I remember having the B & O Serene....And that was pure class and pure phone and pure build quality....

I have come to love just phone not worry about the camera etc....although its nice to have.....

As fatreg will agree, having had a Vertu you see the difference in item thats are properly built
    03-10-07 12:45 PM
    ahhh there is defo something about build quality you just can't touch with high street phones. as tmag said i had a vertu and the feel of that was outstanding to say the least just didn't do anything! and I also had a serene (tmags to be honest) and again that felt awesome other than the flip spacked out every now and then!

fatreg
    03-10-07 12:48 PM
    It did spack out and quite annoyingly....if you didnt flip it properly....would def look at the new one....just to play though.

They should have built a brushed steel one
    03-11-07 03:09 PM
    Let's try to keep this thread on track with questions and comments about the 8800 and not have it hijacked and going off in another direction please. Thanks.
    03-11-07 09:00 PM
    Sorry.........
    03-12-07 04:23 AM
    I heard rumors that the BB 8800 was coming to america with T-mobile sometime at the end of March.....I've been trying to confirm this but no luck!

So..... i was wondering of purchasing an unlocked BB 8800 from EBAY as i've done so in the past with the Nokia E62... but I noticed that the unlocked version you cant fully access the all the programs....

Is it like that with you BB??

I mostly want the BB 8800 for AIM, my Yahoo Email, and Internet.... I know with the unlocked BB i can go to T-mobile and manually configure the device to allow texting, and internet usage but what about the rest of the phones programs..... will i still be able to use it even so its unlocked....

Is there a bad side of having the unlocked version??
    03-12-07 02:44 PM
    If I wanted an all-in-one device then I'd activate my Treo again but media isn't that important to me. The BB is ment to keep me on schedule and for communications either via e-mail, IM, or Phone. Anything else is a waste. I do have some of the programs like Pocket Express installed but that's more to keep me up to date on news and look at movie times when out with the family and we decide to catch a movie.
    Last edited by audit; 03-12-07 at 03:40 PM.
    03-12-07 02:49 PM
    I heard rumors that the BB 8800 was coming to america with T-mobile sometime at the end of March.....I've been trying to confirm this but no luck!

So..... i was wondering of purchasing an unlocked BB 8800 from EBAY as i've done so in the past with the Nokia E62... but I noticed that the unlocked version you cant fully access the all the programs....

Is it like that with you BB??

I mostly want the BB 8800 for AIM, my Yahoo Email, and Internet.... I know with the unlocked BB i can go to T-mobile and manually configure the device to allow texting, and internet usage but what about the rest of the phones programs..... will i still be able to use it even so its unlocked....

Is there a bad side of having the unlocked version??
    First off... Welcome to Crackberry.com!

No one knows for sure when T-Mobile will get the 8800 here in the States. I have not had any problems accessing any programs on my unlocked 8800. They only thing I can't use is the Push-To-Talk feature since that is exclusive to Cingular's network. All other programs and functions work just fine. Once I activated it on T-Mobile's BIS, all service books were pushed and everything works. You shouldn't have any problems.
    03-12-07 02:54 PM
    The 8800 is now available on all UK networks one way or another...

Although there are still issue of consumer and prosumer tariffs....

Plus the back up is bad....unless that is resolved anywhere, Service Providers needs to get the "backroom support" sorted....
    03-12-07 03:43 PM
    First off... Welcome to Crackberry.com!

No one knows for sure when T-Mobile will get the 8800 here in the States. I have not had any problems accessing any programs on my unlocked 8800. They only thing I can't use is the Push-To-Talk feature since that is exclusive to Cingular's network. All other programs and functions work just fine. Once I activated it on T-Mobile's BIS, all service books were pushed and everything works. You shouldn't have any problems.
    Thanks for the welcome

I just received my unlocked BB 8800...How can i activate it on T-mobile BIS etc???
    03-15-07 05:22 PM
    Need just a little more info. Do you have a Blackberry on T-mobile already?
    03-15-07 05:45 PM
    I have an unlocked Blackberry 8800 from cingular on my T-mobile plan. i previously had the BB pearl then T-mobile Dash....
    03-15-07 08:44 PM
    So you have BB Data Plan right?
    03-16-07 03:55 AM
    I have an unlocked Blackberry 8800 from cingular on my T-mobile plan. i previously had the BB pearl then T-mobile Dash....
    You should just be able to log on to My T-Mobile and get things working from there. However, if you don't have the BB data plan active right now, you'll need to call 611 and have them add it.

Once the data is up and running, everything should be working. If it's not, let us know and add some more specific details so we can help you out.
    03-16-07 04:02 AM
    Debating on whether i should wait for the 8820 which definitely WILL have wifi..
    I have heard that the 8800 actually has the same hardware that would facilitate wifi, but it's been software blocked.
    03-16-07 08:27 AM
    Where have you heard this info from? As far as I know, there have been no hacks, and I'm not even sure that it does have the required hardware inside for WiFi.
    03-16-07 09:47 AM
    But it would be quite handy to know.....Kasper is all excited!
    03-16-07 10:33 AM
    yea i have a BB plan.... and eveything seems to work fine i just thought maybe i missed doing something

Hey i put in my SD Card in and when i go to explore then Media Card all my music and pictures dont show up on the phone... whyyy????
    03-16-07 11:59 AM
    Is it reading the media card at all? Or it's there, but just some things you put on it aren't showing up?
    03-16-07 03:54 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD