I have seen lots of threads asking how to get BB Maps installed, and I thought I'd offer my assistance to what I did:

First, perform a backup of your device, then close Desktop Manager.

Second, install the Blackberry 8800 operating system on your PC. I'm using v4.2.1.74 from T-Mobile on my Cingular branded 8800. It can be downloaded here: T-Mobile 8800

Next, locate and delete the Vendor.xml file. It will most likely be found at:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader

Next find your LBS.alx file, it should be at:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8800-v4.2.1.74_P2.3.0.54

Rename the LBS.alx to something like LBS.alx.old. Then place the modified LBS.alx attached here into that folder.

Now if you want to unlock all vendor themes while you're at it... Find the blackberry.alx in the same folder and rename it to balckberry.alx.old. Now place the modified balckberry.alx attached here into that folder.

Now startup Desktop Manager and connect your 8800. You should be prompted to upgrade. It will then bring up the App Loader. Go through the list and make sure BB Maps is checked. You can also uncheck any languages you don't use to free up some room on your device also. Finish this process and when it's done, you should have BB Maps v1.1.27 installed on your 8800.

****Disclaimer - Use at your own risk. This worked for me on my 8800, but I will not guarantee it will work for you. Do not attempt this if you do not know what you are doing, and do not use these modified .alx files with OS v4.2.1.72****
    Last edited by kasperapd; 04-30-07 at 12:51 PM.
    03-14-07 01:06 AM
    Glad you got it working.

Just a Q? How do you find the O2 OS? I am back on that after having used Telstra 4.1 on the 8700 and there a few changes....
    03-14-07 04:25 AM
    Another user had found it and posted it on blackberryforums. I'm pretty sure Cingular has the newest OS available for the 8700 right now.
    03-14-07 09:51 AM
    Ah...might have to have a sneaky look ont'internet....

03-15-07 03:40 AM
  5. Bryant.Wilson@usa-spaceops.com's Avatar
    The LBS file came down fine, the blackberry file gets an invalid archive.
    Tried several times......
    04-03-07 12:41 PM
    I just tried it again and it saved just fine for me. Strange that you can't get it. I'll send via email if you want. PM me what email address you want it sent to.
    04-03-07 04:14 PM
    I have the exact same problem with the Blackberry zip file (running Vista if that makes a difference). However, I was able to get the maps installed, not the rest of the themes. Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by pryme57; 04-09-07 at 02:06 AM.
    04-09-07 01:23 AM
    Glad the maps at least worked for you.
    04-09-07 11:26 AM
    Hi, I'm new to the world of Blackberry's and just got an 8800. I don't know why it took so long but I'm glad to have one now. I was wondering if there is a way to have the software get re-run on the blackberry. I updated to the O2 version so I could get the BB maps working (which worked fine, thanks!) but the unlocked themes didn't show up this time. I originally had all the themes unlocked by editing the blackberry.alx file so I knew how to add the vendor code to each theme in the alx file. I don't know how to get the software to reload or if it's even possible or if I'm just stuck until the next OS update. Does anyone have any tips? Thanks!

Hagoth
    04-25-07 05:48 PM
    Have you tried a battery pull since you have loaded the modified .alx file? If so, and nothing is still there, it may not have been done correctly. There is a newer OS available, but I don't have the files posted for it. Both T-Mobile and Rogers have a newer OS.
    04-25-07 10:07 PM
    Thanks for the response. Yes I tried a battery pull and that's when the BB maps showed up but the unlocked themes were not. I found a post that said you could uninstall the update files from the PC and then delete the contents of the apploader folder and it should prompt for a reinstall of the software on the BB but so far it hasn't prompted me to (re)update the blackberry. What I did to unlock the themes was found the cingular code (102) and then replaced all the vendor_code= with 102. That's what worked with the first upgrade I did. I can just wait till someone posts the newer OS and do the upgrade.
    04-25-07 11:05 PM
    It's actually easier to just delete the vendor ID's altogether. Try using the one I have zipped at the top of this thread, it is for the O2 operating system.
    04-26-07 02:40 AM
    what maps does this include?

I already have the maps icon on my bb, and it looks to have the US on it, will it have Europe, and Asia as well? any idea how to check? I have a t-mobile unit.l
    04-26-07 09:36 AM
    Welcome to Crackberry.com!

Take a look at this page from BlackBerry for coverage areas.
    04-26-07 10:20 AM
    Ok I'm an idiot - sorry for my n00bness. You have to actually run the application loader program in the BB Desktop Manager to get it to run the update again after uninstalling and reinstalling the operating system on the PC. The first time I did it it just ran the update automatically. I'm back to Cingular's 4.2.72 and will wait until my navtel 30 day trial runs out before attempting the bb map trick again. I've gotten quite used to the Vodafone theme and was freaking because I couldn't get it back. It's now back and I can relax. Thanks for the quick responses!
    04-26-07 04:23 PM
    Glad you got it working, let us know if you need anything else.
    04-26-07 06:35 PM
    I have the exact same problem with the Blackberry zip file (running Vista if that makes a difference). However, I was able to get the maps installed, not the rest of the themes. Thanks for the help!
    I also tried downloading the zip file and extracting it on my Vista machine. It said invalid archive so I used a different program (winrar) to extract the file and it worked but it extracted another blackberry_zips file with no extension. I added a .zip extension to it and ran winrar again on that file and it extracted the 2 files just fine.
    05-11-07 04:06 PM
    I have no idea why my zip file is not working properly. I used WinZip to compress it.
    05-11-07 04:42 PM
    Hi, not working for me too on my Rogers. 8800, it extracted fine and i rename it but it in the directory but not showing during the upgrade,
    can you help me here,
    thx
    05-21-07 03:05 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.com waelbakr! Just to make sure I understand what you did... did you rename the old files, then insert the new files? Also, did you delete the vendor.xml file?
    05-21-07 04:47 PM
    I own a cingular 8800 and have read the instructions for loading BB maps to 8800. Isn't there a simpler way? Can you just simply download to PC and then install to 8800? Why do you have to go through the steps outlined in this post? thx.

Looking for an easier way.
    05-27-07 09:51 AM
    ...back in March, it was not available for a simple download and install. Now, I believe you can get it from BlackBerry.com

Edit: The software is here!
    Last edited by anon(153966); 05-27-07 at 11:33 AM. Reason: ...added a link for BlackBerry Maps!
    05-27-07 11:31 AM
    Cingular has BB Maps blocked on their devices. It's written into the LBS.alx code.
    05-27-07 05:40 PM
    i installed this file and now my blackberry pops up a message that says

"uncaught exception: java.lang.classcast.exception" and i cant hit ok to it. takes the phone a few mins to boot up and hangs on the hour class. battery removal doesnt work. unable to select any icons but i hear it clicking over them. unable to get it to continue to connect to my pc. keeps losing connection.

any help? i had a treo before, is there any option like a hard reset on these phones?

cheers
    mike
    05-29-07 10:49 PM
    The only and best 'hard reset' is a battery pull. But you said that did not work, right?

You might have to reload the O.S...
    05-30-07 08:03 AM
95 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD