INSTRUCTIONS:
    1. Download the leaked OS
    2. Back up data on Desktop Manager under Back up/restore option. NOTE: If you get an error during this process, clear your browser cache (Browser > Menu Key > options > cache operation > clear all of them)
    3. Back up your 3rd party apps. How to backup 3rd party applications
    4. Disconnect your BB from Desktop Manager
    5. Download desired OS to your PC
    6. Install/run OS to PC
    7. If you are NOT on Verizon, delete vendor.xml file. It�s located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader
    8. Connect BB to Desktop Manager and it should
    9. Click Application Loader
    10. Click Update
    11. At this point, disconnect your computer from the internet
    12. Select the OS you would like to load and continue
    13. Do not unplug BB during the process. It will take around 20-90 minutes to complete upgrade.

Note: Make sure to back up your phone and third party apps prior to updating in case something goes wrong in the update process

I suggest only keeping one OS installed to your computer at a time; the one you have installed to your device. You can have others saved to the computer, just not installed. I have a folder in My Documents labeled BB OS, and keep them saved in there just in case. But when it comes time to upgrade againg, go to Control Panel on the computer>Add/Remove and uninstall the current device software. Then install the new and upgrade.
    Other threads of interest:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...l_cmder-53502/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f135/ho...-4-7-a-125449/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f135/wh...l-file-120048/

Install leaked/beta OS's at your own risk. I, nor Crackberry, will not accept responsibility if you brick your phone.
    Last edited by DonNguyen; 01-03-09 at 11:34 PM.
    SkaterGuy2k, Zudeo, s4nj0 and 7 others like this.
    12-26-08 12:57 AM
    Nice. Stuck.......
    12-26-08 01:01 AM
    Awesome! Glad this made it up before the link! Great job don!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-26-08 01:11 AM
    will add screenshots on the next update
    12-26-08 01:11 AM
    well done don , well done . lol
    12-26-08 01:21 AM
    Excellent thread, I'm following the backup steps now in preparation for the .85 leak we HOPE is coming (probably within a day)
    12-26-08 01:54 AM
    Do i have to wipe my device when upgrading? Or can I just upgrade and everything will be taken care of?
    12-26-08 04:56 AM
    Do i have to wipe my device when upgrading? Or can I just upgrade and everything will be taken care of?
    either works fine in my experience.
    12-26-08 11:23 AM
    im not sure why but after downloading the new OS, its not showing any updates when I connect my device.

Im not sure if I need to uninstall my desktop software and reinstall the one I just DL'ed from the .83 leak link, but I will try that. Is there anything else I can do to get my software to recognize I have a newer OS I'd like to update to?
    12-26-08 11:53 AM
    im not sure why but after downloading the new OS, its not showing any updates when I connect my device.

Im not sure if I need to uninstall my desktop software and reinstall the one I just DL'ed from the .83 leak link, but I will try that. Is there anything else I can do to get my software to recognize I have a newer OS I'd like to update to?
    SBW-- I just had the same problem.

I tried downloading the new 4.7.083 OS and NOT removing the vendor.xml file, since I have Verizon (looks like you do, too).

When I did that, it recognized and allowed me to load the new OS. Give that a shot. Mine looks like its working just fine.

:-)

- CrAcKsTaR
    Last edited by crackstar; 12-26-08 at 05:04 PM.
    12-26-08 04:58 PM
    Im new, just got the storm 3 weeks ago, just registered here, I erased my BB desktop manager without thinking, cuz i was erasing stuff i wasn't using, well it was too late after i realized what i did, but I tried reinstalling and now it's saying something about a Port and its blank, it won't let me fully reinstall it. If someone knows what im talking about, plz help. Im not too good at explaining things as you can see. lol.
    12-26-08 06:49 PM
    i need help just tried to wipe and load new os. I ran jl cmnder and nothing appeared to happen So i unplugged phone and plugged it back in and desktop manager no longer reconizes it. it will make calls and everything works but when i go to my computer and look at the device it says all the internal memory is available like it has been cleared...Please help !!!!
    12-26-08 07:55 PM
    Im running .83 should i delete it from my computer? If so where or how do i find it on my sony vista laptop.
    12-26-08 09:40 PM
    Don quick question,

Why do we have to disconnect from the internet? Does DM try to download some information that prevents using the leaked os?
    12-26-08 10:09 PM
    Instead of disconnecting from the internet you can do ctrl+alt+del and kill the process BbDevMgr.exe and RIMDeviceManager.exe
    12-26-08 11:22 PM
    I'm new to Blackberry and was not impressed with the lag of the original Storms' OS. This was very helpful and useful, thank you!
    =)
    12-26-08 11:57 PM
    Don quick question,

Why do we have to disconnect from the internet? Does DM try to download some information that prevents using the leaked os?
    because when you're loading a leaked OS, it will see the latest OS and tell you that you don't need an update. with the internet disconnected, it will search your computer for the latest OS as opposed to the internet
    12-27-08 01:09 AM
    where do you get the leaked version?
    12-27-08 06:44 AM
    Instead of disconnecting from the internet you can do ctrl+alt+del and kill the process BbDevMgr.exe and RIMDeviceManager.exe
    Thanks for the tip!

12-27-08 07:00 AM
    because when you're loading a leaked OS, it will see the latest OS and tell you that you don't need an update. with the internet disconnected, it will search your computer for the latest OS as opposed to the internet
    Ahhh, makeas sense thanks for the explanation.

12-27-08 07:03 AM
    Where do you download the new OS from??
    12-27-08 08:45 AM
    .85????????????
    where did you get that?
    12-27-08 09:04 AM
    Well, I just dl'ed .85 and followed all of the directions - though I did not have to reload my 3rd party apps - they were apparently all loaded automatically once the DM updated the sw. Was a piece of cake. Thanks Don.
    12-27-08 01:48 PM
    Now when I turn my Storm on, I get a list with basic functions alphabetized from AddressBook through Youtube - basically all the 3rd party apps. Should I wipe the system with JCommander and start over again? The phone is not stuck in a reboot. If I click any of the regular functions like Calendar, it says "error starting net_rum_bb_calendar_app: Module 'net_rum_bb_phone_api' not found."
    12-27-08 02:27 PM
    i would wipe and reload mudpud
    12-27-08 03:18 PM
699 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD