Wow! Thank you so much for this tutorial! . I went from 8mb to 26mb!!! Wooohoooooo!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-20-08 08:45 PM
    I am stuck in a vicious cycle. If I install the OS (v4.3.0.127) for my phone DM will not connect. When I uninstall and reinstall the DM (v4.6) it connects but it seems to uninstall the OS. Does anyone have any experience with this or a sugestion about how to make the two co-exist functionally?

Thanks
    10-21-08 03:47 PM
    There have been reports of the OS install corrupting the USB drivers installed by Desktop Manager.

First step, open Windows Control Panel / Programs and verify you have installed the device OS package. Reinstall it if you have previously removed it.

Second, select DTM uninstall. Select the repair option. That should correct the USB problem.

Third, Windows / Computer. Select the drive C:\ icon and navigate to:

C:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader. Scroll to the bottom and delete the vendor.xml file. It is created fresh each time you run the OS install.

Four, run Desktop Manger / Applications Loader / Update Applications / Advanced. You should now be able to select or remove applications from your device.
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 10-21-08 at 05:36 PM.
    10-21-08 05:33 PM
    I reloaded the USB and modem drivers because I got an odd message when running the repair utility and now all works just fine. I did not delete the Vendor.xml file because it worked before I got to that step and the OS is the one from my carrier so I figure it won't hurt. Porrect me if that assumption is wrong but I am pretty excited to be sitting on over 50MB.

The camera is missing though. which is odd since the video Camera is still there. all I removed was the wallpaper and the TTY. Onward into the fray I guess. without a challenge I guess this would not be fun.
    10-23-08 12:20 AM
    I reloaded the service books and the camera is back. so all is well thanks again for all of your help and for the excellent resource in general.
    10-23-08 12:34 AM
    I reloaded the USB and modem drivers because I got an odd message when running the repair utility and now all works just fine. I did not delete the Vendor.xml file because it worked before I got to that step and the OS is the one from my carrier so I figure it won't hurt. Porrect me if that assumption is wrong but I am pretty excited to be sitting on over 50MB.

The camera is missing though. which is odd since the video Camera is still there. all I removed was the wallpaper and the TTY. Onward into the fray I guess. without a challenge I guess this would not be fun.

How did you get to 50 (!) MB? What apps do you have, and what did you get rid of?
    10-23-08 08:52 AM
    I'm currntly at 46mb after a restart, and I have more apps than I did before when I was only getting 43mb.

And I have
    Chess
    Blackjack
    Google maps
    pacman
    weathereye
    opera mini
    aim

Still running 4.3 on my verizon curve
    10-23-08 09:46 AM
    I've followed the guides, and use CrackMem to upgrade, now at .81. My problem is the speed at which my memory bleeds from my Pearl. I'm careful to close every app when I leave it, but there's something/things running constantly that are draining the life out of my BB. Is there some type of "task manager" I could use, to see what's assaulting my memory?
    10-26-08 07:29 AM
    Alt-esc (the counter clockwise arrow to the right of the trackball) will show you what's running. There are 5 apps that you can't close: Home Screen, Browser, Messenger, Messages, and Call Log. Anything else you can close. Viigo is a common cause of excessive memory use.

10-26-08 08:57 AM
    Thanks Jeff,
    I have used that, but it doesn't tell you load of each process on the system. Deleted pocket reader since it wouldn't leave active apps list. Didn't change leak. I assume phone also can't be closed. Only other open apps beyond required are vibandring and empower viewer. When I go to memoryup, I can watch almost 1000b per second depleting from system. WTF?
    Also, why do I have such a hard time getting list, as apposed to launching app?

10-26-08 09:33 AM
    One more thought. Could it be my theme that's eating my memory? Only other app I could think of that would always be open.
    10-26-08 10:49 AM
    It is normal for our BlackBerry to use memory and recover it after it is released. Typical use is 8-10 Mb, after that, it remains quite stable.

If the file free total remains above the device reserved setting, there is no problem.
    10-26-08 11:26 AM
    It is normal for our BlackBerry to use memory and recover it after it is released. Typical use is 8-10 Mb, after that, it remains quite stable.

If the file free total remains above the device reserved setting, there is no problem.
    oooh cool tip, thanks
    10-26-08 11:45 AM
    Interesting, so optimum minimum file free to start would be 22Mb in order to safely keep from going below 12Mb? Any reasoning behind the steady depletion without doing any operations?
    10-26-08 12:06 PM
    Jeff and Reed,
    Pulled event log using Blackberry Master Control(thank you Sgt-D), and saw constant activity on my phone. Most I can understand due to push for email/sms, need to update to cell towers, etc. One thing I saw that surprised me was vlingo push attempts(I assume), as I deleted app quite a while ago. Here's an example:
    time: Sun Oct 26 15:52:17 2008 severity:0 type:2 app:System data:CMM: vlingoForBlackBerry_en-4(5303) no sig from 0x33
    Any guesses what that's all about, or how it effects my bleeding?
    10-26-08 10:26 PM
    does anybody know what files to remove on a pearl 8130, with os 4.5.0.89 to get the most free memory?
    Last edited by gonzo82; 10-27-08 at 09:45 PM.
    10-27-08 08:47 PM
    thanks alot
    10-28-08 07:28 AM
    My Gosh, what does a dumb *** do in this situation. Can you bring it to the carrier and tell them to fix it? Can you erase everything on the phone and start over or something. You would have to be a Rocket Scientist to go thru all that. I am a old fart and would have grave trouble doing this any simpler answers?
    10-28-08 10:48 AM
    My Gosh, what does a dumb *** do in this situation. Can you bring it to the carrier and tell them to fix it? Can you erase everything on the phone and start over or something. You would have to be a Rocket Scientist to go thru all that. I am a old fart and would have grave trouble doing this any simpler answers?
    No, the carrier won't fix it for you. Depending on who you get, they may even tell you you need a new phone! But it's easier than it looks. Reed starts with the simplest steps, and those are the ones with a lot of payoff. Try it. You can do it. We can help. (Where've I heard that before?)
    10-28-08 10:57 AM
    does anybody know what files to remove on a pearl 8130, with os 4.5.0.89 to get the most free memory?
    The biggest gains are from removing the pre-installed samples. The Video and Pictures are over 5 Mb in total.

I strongly recommend following the "Better" procedure combined with CrackMem, a free utility created by Forum Moderator Pete6.
    10-28-08 11:27 AM
    Jeff and Reed,
    Pulled event log using Blackberry Master Control(thank you Sgt-D), and saw constant activity on my phone. Most I can understand due to push for email/sms, need to update to cell towers, etc. One thing I saw that surprised me was vlingo push attempts(I assume), as I deleted app quite a while ago. Here's an example:
    time: Sun Oct 26 15:52:17 2008 severity:0 type:2 app:System data:CMM: vlingoForBlackBerry_en-4(5303) no sig from 0x33
    Any guesses what that's all about, or how it effects my bleeding?
    The event log contains diagnostic information that programmers can use to monitor what is actualy occuring on the device. It does not contain any useful information for non-programmers.

Based on observation by several members, deleting the log does free up a small amount of memory, but nothing of any significances. Typically a few Kb.

It is strange that Vlingo is still logging events after being deleted, as a guess there may be some residual component that is still active.

If it bothers you, I would suggest doing a fresh OS install, after backing up your data. The easiest way to accomplish that is with CrackMem. Use the Wipe option to totaly erase the existing OS. That will force a fresh build. Follow up with a Restore to get your data and settings back.
    10-28-08 11:48 AM
    The biggest gains are from removing the pre-installed samples. The Video and Pictures are over 5 Mb in total.

I strongly recommend following the "Better" procedure combined with CrackMem, a free utility created by Forum Moderator Pete6.
    i deleted the sample video and rand CrackMem, i reinstalled the os and left out a few apps, but i still only have about 20mb free. how can i delete the sample pics? what .cod files can i remove on 4.5.0.89 to get the most memory gain?
    10-28-08 04:29 PM
    ...i still only have about 20mb free.
    Wow. I have mine up to 16.7M and I thought I was doing fairly well.
    10-29-08 07:58 AM
    I downloaded the latest desktop manager for at&t which was a v4.6. I then downloaded the device manager v4.5. When I went to the desktop manager application loader, the device manager did not show up. I pulled up the device manager from the computer but it will not open. What did I do wrong, and how can I correct it?
    10-29-08 08:08 AM
    How do I delete applications on my home screen (ie Google Talk, Alltel Store, etc). I've looked for them on the applications page and can't find them. I also cannot get them to show up under application loader. My application loader only shows Facebook. I need to free up space and cannot figure out how to delete more files!
    10-29-08 08:30 AM
1,205 ... 2021222324 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD