I am new to the blackberry phones I got the 8830 curve and I'm still trying to figure it all out and I'm also new to this site. Can someone please help me,lol I'm a newbie what can I say.
    07-10-08 02:51 PM
    I am new to the blackberry phones I got the 8830 curve and I'm still trying to figure it all out and I'm also new to this site. Can someone please help me,lol I'm a newbie what can I say.
    What help do you need? Following the procedure that starts with Post 1 in this thread will help you manage your memory. For other problems, search the forums first to see if the answer is already there. If it's not, just post a question. Be sure to give it a specific title, like "losing messages and call logs" instead of "helpppppppp!!!!!!" You'll get an answer a lot quicker with a descriptive title.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-10-08 03:01 PM
    Love this place. All my questions answered without having to ask. Wish they had a site like this for women, then I wouldn't have to walk around saying I'm sorry all the time.
    07-10-08 05:49 PM
    lol, way to funny rossman08
    07-10-08 06:03 PM
    ok just free'ed almost another mb of space,,, removing the extra fonts and stashing them in my removed folder

net_rim_font_european_sff.cod 126 k
    net_rim_font_latin_truetype.cod 684 k
    net_rim_font_semitic.cod 11 k

Do NOT take the all of them, you will need one for you BB to actually have something to use to show text or words. I left

net_rim_font_system.cod 47 k

I also changed my font to system, BEFORE I did this change.
    07-10-08 06:11 PM
    I don't know if it can be done, but the alarm_app does take up a tiny 18k,,, but I use mine so i haven't tried it...

I understand why I need 1 theme, but am curious why would I need both?
    net_rim_theme_bbdimension_l_240x260_b.cod 58 k
    net_rim_theme_bbdimension_zen_240x260_b.cod 1,842 k
    07-10-08 06:30 PM
    After I optimize I just keep tabs on my free file, clear my cache, and delete messages that are of no importance. One problem I have noticed with BlackBerry owners' is that they never clear their web cache, or their SMS texts. It's not like back in the day when you had a cell and could let the messages pile up until you were full. Like McClure said, close out of your apps when finished. To properly close out of an app(for those who don't know), hit the menu button(button to the left of the trackball), scroll down to close and click it...
    07-10-08 06:51 PM
    I don't know if it can be done, but the alarm_app does take up a tiny 18k,,, but I use mine so i haven't tried it...

I understand why I need 1 theme, but am curious why would I need both?
    net_rim_theme_bbdimension_l_240x260_b.cod 58 k
    net_rim_theme_bbdimension_zen_240x260_b.cod 1,842 k
    You do not need both of those... you can get rid of the "L" theme (top one)

The Zen theme is required to remain on your Berry for normal operation!! It contains many pieces necessary for the OS UI!

Also, remember that once you remove any of these core net_rim_theme files you cannot use any third party theme of that style!! This does not bother me because I only use Zen themes anyhow
    07-10-08 07:03 PM
    After I optimize I just keep tabs on my free file, clear my cache, and delete messages that are of no importance. One problem I have noticed with BlackBerry owners' is that they never clear their web cache, or their SMS texts. It's not like back in the day when you had a cell and could let the messages pile up until you were full. Like McClure said, close out of your apps when finished. To properly close out of an app(for those who don't know), hit the menu button(button to the left of the trackball), scroll down to close and click it...
    Exactly! Properly closing your apps and removing old and un-needed messages can do a wonder!! The Browser cache can also pile up fast! Staying on top of these things is crucial to getting the most outta your memory

Some apps cannot be completely closed... such as Home Screen, Phone, Messages and Browser. Other apps may also need to run in the background to work properly (such as alarm clock apps!)
    07-10-08 07:06 PM
    thanks, must have miss understood, the first part of stoner's guide,,, bummer though, I love the L, which happens to be the smaller of the two
    07-10-08 07:07 PM
    Love this place. All my questions answered without having to ask. Wish they had a site like this for women, then I wouldn't have to walk around saying I'm sorry all the time.
    Ya know, I was thinking of my decades of experience in the subject and that would be a fine topic for a future How too:
    07-10-08 08:12 PM
    ok just free'ed almost another mb of space,,, removing the extra fonts and stashing them in my removed folder

Do NOT take the all of them, you will need one for you BB to actually have something to use to show text or words. I left

I also changed my font to system, BEFORE I did this change.
    Excellent feedback, I will update the advanced section with Pearl specific details.
    07-10-08 08:15 PM
    ... One problem I have noticed with BlackBerry owners' is that they never clear their web cache, or their SMS texts...
    I decided to skip a few things, cache clearing among them.

In practice, a cache saves a huge amount of data downloading, particularly if you use the same sites frequently.

Clearing the cache frees up a maximum of 2 Mb. As soon as you click on a page, you get the full download of data. If it is cached, you get most of the data from the cache.

I think the BlackBerry geeks make good use of the space, I am quite happy to let them cache me.
    07-10-08 08:19 PM
    thanks, must have miss understood, the first part of stoner's guide,,, bummer though, I love the L, which happens to be the smaller of the two
    Pity it can't be one or the other, but if the L theme is desirable, it is tiny enough to keep.
    Last edited by Stoner; 07-10-08 at 08:23 PM.
    07-10-08 08:21 PM
    After trying out things out for a while, without 3 of the 4 fonts removed,,, I have decided to put 1 of them back on,,, many web pages just look a little weird, still workable, just look odd... After testing many pages, and apps,,, I would say:

Remove:

optional remove, operators visual preference:

Keep:
    07-10-08 09:10 PM
    Is there any thoughts about removing the alarm clock?

net_rim_bb_alarm_app.cod 18k
    07-10-08 09:12 PM
    3 beers, 1 bowl, and eighteen pages later im sitting at 23 mb on my pearl... thanks stoner and anybody else who contributed on this thread...
    07-11-08 12:46 AM
    (Most times I do not do a Batt Pull, but I do Alt, R-Shift, Del)!!
    Just an FYI, I did a little experimenting, a battery pull brings back more memory than the Alt, R-Shift, Del route.
    07-11-08 08:34 AM
    here's something cool,,, a blackberry 8300 simulator, so ya can try all of your tweaks, hacks, or Cracks, without hurting your phone,,, I happened across this when I was looking for a editor program to alter the .cod files.

BlackBerry JDE 4.5.0
    BlackBerry - BlackBerry Developer Program | BlackBerry Java Development Environment Downloads

enjoy

,,,, ok,,, ya can change the sim, to allow it to be used for any BB
    Last edited by mrhappy123; 07-11-08 at 12:52 PM. Reason: addition of facts
    07-11-08 12:48 PM
    Then go ahead and keep the "L" theme, it does not consume that much memory!

After trying out things out for a while, without 3 of the 4 fonts removed,,, I have decided to put 1 of them back on,,, many web pages just look a little weird, still workable, just look odd... After testing many pages, and apps,,, I would say:

Remove:

optional remove, operators visual preference:

Keep:
    You need to keep more fonts than the ones you have listed for normal operation! That is why I stay away from font removal... it does not save that much space and it can alter your experience significantly I will post back with the ones you can safely remove...

Is there any thoughts about removing the alarm clock?

net_rim_bb_alarm_app.cod 18k
    It is only 18Kb Go for it, but why not just keep it on device and hide it?!

Just an FYI, I did a little experimenting, a battery pull brings back more memory than the Alt, R-Shift, Del route.
    I know this, but I am usually too lazy to open, remove battery, replace battery! I would rather hit the key combo and recover most of the memory, than go thru all the hassle. Yes, it is good practice to do an actual batt pull once a week or so... but meh

here's something cool,,, a blackberry 8300 simulator, so ya can try all of your tweaks, hacks, or Cracks, without hurting your phone,,, I happened across this when I was looking for a editor program to alter the .cod files.

BlackBerry JDE 4.5.0
    BlackBerry - BlackBerry Developer Program | BlackBerry Java Development Environment Downloads

enjoy

,,,, ok,,, ya can change the sim, to allow it to be used for any BB
    Yes!! That is awesome! Thanks for the heads up... many people already know of this and use it for building themes with Plazmic
    07-11-08 01:24 PM
    I do have to dis-agree with ya on the fonts,,, the net_rim_font_latin_truetype.cod,,, does take up a whopping 684 kb,,, and I haven't seen too much of an alteration from may pages visited,,, not enough to say it was worth me keeping it
    07-11-08 01:36 PM
    I do have to dis-agree with ya on the fonts,,, the net_rim_font_latin_truetype.cod,,, does take up a whopping 684 kb,,, and I haven't seen too much of an alteration from may pages visited,,, not enough to say it was worth me keeping it
    FYI... you will want to keep the Latin Font, I know that for a fact!! There is a reason it is a "whopping" size

And, I quote, from a respected member of Adlen Forums (Tragedy)

Foreign Fonts
    I doubt you need them, so look for: net_rim_font_korean.cod
    Do not delete the Latin font, but any other foreign fonts. I myself, delete foreign anything, as I don't need them.
    The link for his thread on Adlen... Memory Optimization - Adlen

Sorry to disagree, but there has been testing and it is not the best to remove the latin font style
    07-11-08 06:15 PM
    I just went into the Java folder and deleted those two fonts
    and let DM do it's thing.

This is my result

That is the only font you will have and you will not be able to
    access options > screen/keyboard

Now to put those files back
    07-11-08 08:15 PM
    I just went into the Java folder and deleted those two fonts
    and let DM do it's thing.

This is my result

That is the only font you will have and you will not be able to
    access options > screen/keyboard

Now to put those files back
    Amazinglygraceless is correct, and that is why Bmcclure informed you not to remove the font. But then again, your Berry-your choice.
    Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme; 07-19-08 at 10:51 AM.
    07-11-08 08:43 PM
    inkwell,,, on your lost messages,,, there is a setting to automatically delete them after X amount of time has passed,,, go messages, options, general options, keep messages for XXX.

For a reduced memory, on a daily I see my 22mb drop to 15,,, I can do either a battery pull or clean out my internet cache (yes i do a lot of surfing) go browser, BB key, options, cache operations, I clear history, cache and pushed content,,, that takes me back up over 20
    what is pushed content and is it important? can somebody please explain that to me because I'm scared to just clear it without even knowing what it is.

I would also like to personally thank Stoner, JeffH and everyone else who has contributed to this and many other invaluable threads. You have offered so much assistance to me... more than any user manual or sales associate could ever do. Stoner - after following your simple steps to freeing up memory my phone went from 12mb free after battery pull to over 21mb free!! How awesome is that?! Keep up the great work guys and gals. I aspire to one day be as knowledgeable as you - the best of the best - the KINGS of CRACK. Allow me to be the CRACK apprentice... I shall learn as I go, gatherings tid-bits of knowledge and wisdom that I can then share with the CRACK community. I shall be great, thanks to you.
    Last edited by ballinsol14; 07-11-08 at 11:28 PM.
    07-11-08 11:06 PM
1,205 ... 910111213 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD