Note : This guide only pertains to WiFi capable BlackBerries. The tested devices currently include models 8120, 8320 and 8820. (Other devices may also be WiFi capable but I have been unable to test them)

Introduction :

There are countless advantages to having the added benefit of WiFi on your BlackBerry. WiFi has the potential to change your BlackBerry and really add a lot of functionality. The ability to browse the web over WiFi and make calls over WiFi using UMA are a couple of the main advantages.

In order to utilize your Berry's WiFi to its full capacity, there are a number of things to consider.

In this How-To guide, I will detail the steps needed to get the most out of your WiFi.

Prerequisites :

To make sure your BlackBerry will behave well when using WiFi, verify that your router is configured in a way that will work well with your device.

NOTE : Wireless N Routers are not yet fully supported by BlackBerries and are known to cause issues
    If you are using a Wireless N router, take the time to set it to use Wireless G mode only...
    or else you will run into serious problems and will not be able to use WiFi. If you are running
    any version of OS 4.5, this is not an issue and Wireless N should work without problems.
    (As user SebasC noted : Any device running OS 4.2.2.184 or above should work on Wireless N networks!!)

For most other routers, your standard wireless configuration should be adequate. You may have to tweak settings if you run into problems later in this process.

Step 1 : Configuring your Berry (Setting Up WiFi)

The simplest and most straight forward way to get your device connected to your WiFi connection is to run the 'Setting Up WiFi' wizard (The Wireless Router Icon on your Home Screen).

(NOTE: This Wizard can also be run from Home Screen > Manage Connections > Set Up Wi-Fi Network)

Once you start the wizard, you will be presented with a few options. If it is your first time running the wizard,
    then a small 'Read-Me' will appear, giving you the option to hide the next time you use the wizard.

From there, you have these THREE options; Scan for Networks, Manually Add Network or Get Security Key

Scan for Networks : Used to scan and automatically find available networks. Once complete, you can
    select the desired network to connect to

Manually Add Network : Used to enter in the network name manually (if known) and configure your
    connection without scanning for all available networks

Get Security Key : This option is used in conjuction with the T-Mobile branded routers and automates
    the connection and security process

The majority of users will continue by selecting the first option, so that will be the first option covered!

Step 1(a) : Scan for Networks

Select 'Scan for Networks' and your device will begin to scan for all available WiFi connections within range. If your WiFi is not enabled on your device, then it will prompt you to power on the WiFi before continuing... so select 'Turn WiFi On'.

Your Berry will then begin the scan for available WiFi networks and say "Searching for available Wi-Fi networks..." on the screen. Depending on the site survey, this could take from 10 to 45 seconds (the fewer the available networks, the less time it takes).

Once it is done scanning, a list of available networks is compiled and displayed. Now, select the network you desire to connect to. A couple of things can happen at this point...

• If the wireless network is unsecured, then your Berry will automatically connect to the open network.
    • If the wireless network is secured, then you will be prompted to enter the security key associated with that network.
      Remember, the passphrase for the security key is case-sensitive.

We will discuss the benefits of wireless security along with other 'advanced' router settings later in this guide.

(NOTE : The networks list provides a quick overview of the available networks and displays the signal strength, security and SSID of each network. To get more detailed info from the network list, highlight the desired network, press Menu > Network Details)

Step 1(b) : Manually Add Network

Similar to scanning for available networks, manually adding networks will connect to the network you specify. This is recommended only if you know the exact SSID and security of the router. If either of these is unknown, then the addition of the network will result in failure.

If you do know the required information and prefer to manually add your network, then follow the prompts on your device. Input the network name, type of security and the security key... your Berry will then attempt to find the network and connect.

NOTE: Manually adding networks is not recommended unless you know all of the network information!
    This can also be used as a backup plan if connecting through step 1(A) results in a failure!

Step 1(c) : Get Security Key

The third option works on T-Mobile supplied routers ONLY!! If you are using a personal router, not supplied by T-Mobile for HotSpot@Home, then this option does not apply!

Many people will never have the need to explore this menu, even if they do have a T-Mobile router.
    (since many people will choose to tweak the TMo router settings manually)

If you do use one of the standard TMo routers with the default settings. Then when you select the option to Get Security Key you will be prompted through a series of steps to connect 'automatically' and 'securely' to your TMo router.

In a nutshell, this is done by pressing the 'KEY' button on your router, receiving a security key, and then connecting to the WiFi! Refer to your TMo router's "quick-start" guide for more help. The WiFi connection wizard on your Berry also walks through this process for you.
    Last edited by bmcclure937; 12-20-08 at 01:25 PM.
    jmontano and vaffluence like this.
    06-29-08 02:16 PM

Recap :

At this point, you should be connected to a WiFi network!! (using one of the three options!)

We will now move on to tweak some settings for your BlackBerry Browser and Connection Preferences.

If you are NOT connected for some reason... you will need to troubleshoot the problem.
    Trouble shooting your wireless connection can be done using a few utilities on your BlackBerry!
    Move on to 'Step 3 : Troubleshooting your WiFi Connection' if you are having trouble connecting!

Step 2 : Tweaking your BlackBerry's Settings

Once you are connected to a wireless network, there are a few settings you can tweak so that the WiFi connection performs the way you want it to!!

First of all, we will tweak the Browser Settings. Open your browser and navigate to Menu > Options >
    Browser Configuration. From here, change the 'Browser' option to WiFi (or, in OS 4.5 releases, 'Hotspot')

My browser configuration is as follows :

Browser : HotSpot Browser
    All of the formatting boxes are checked : (JavaScript, Java Popups, Terminate slow running scripts, HTML Tables, ForeGround and BackGround Colors, BackGround Images, Embedded Media, Style Sheets)
    Show Images : On WML & HTML Pages
    Emulation Mode : BlackBerry
    Start Page : Start Page (Set to your liking)
    Home Page Adress : Set to your liking

You can tweak these settings to your liking... but those settings are a good starter.
    Please note these settings are being used on OS 4.5.0.xx on my 8320, there may possibly be minor differences

(Note : setting the emulation mode to 'BlackBerry' will allow your Berry to have a more "mobile friendly" browsing experience. This also allows for applications, themes, etc to be downloaded and installed OTA (over the air). With emulation mode set as 'Microsoft IE', you do not have these benefits!)

Hit the 'Back' button and then go to 'General Properties'. Once again, make sure the first option is set to WiFi (or Hotspot) browser. The other options can, once again, be tweaked to your liking. The defaults should be fine.

Next, we will fine tune some other connection properties. Navigate to Home Screen > Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options. Under 'Connection Preference' make sure you have 'WiFi preferred' selected.

This dictates what connection your device will choose, depending on availability. For example, if the WiFi is turned on and you enter one of your WiFi hotspots (which you added in Step 1) then your device will automatically connect and use that connection as the default connection (making UMA calls).
    (Please note, this does not automatically switch your browser configuration to connect between EDGE/WiFi. The WiFi preferred only affects the mobile network connection of your device. You will need to manually change from 'WiFi browser' to 'Internet' browser... and vise versa)

You can change this setting to whatever you may desire... and the options are self-explanatory:
    • Mobile Network Only -- Will not use the WiFi connection to make any calls (browsing still available)
    • Mobile Network Preferred -- will only use WiFi when the Mobile Network is unavailable (in poor service areas)
    • WiFi Only -- Will only make UMA calls over WiFi, even if mobile network is available
    • WiFi Preferred -- will make UMA calls when a WiFi network is available, mobile network if not available

Finally, navigate to Home > Menu > Manage Connections > WiFi Options.
    This menu will display the current WiFi network you are connected to, along with all of your saved WiFi profiles. From here, you can manage your WiFi networks and remove unused connections. You can also specify if you want the device to auto-connect or manually connect to networks.

To edit Saved WiFi Profiles : highlight the desired network and hit Menu > Edit. You are able to change the name, security type, etc... (in case you ever make a change in your router configuration!)

Step 3 : Troubleshooting your WiFi Connection

If you have a specific error code for your problem, then please refer to Question 1 in the FAQ section. Otherwise, follow these directions

This section is dedicated for users who are still experiencing problems when connecting to WiFi networks. If you are unable to connect to a network there are a number of things to take into consideration.

1. Your router setup
    2. Other routers in close proximity to your router

In order to do some diagnostics and troubleshooting we will first go to Manage Connections > Services Status

From here, examine the "Wi-Fi Network" configuration. This should be on, have an active profile, SSID and security type. If this is "OFF" then you will want to make sure the WiFi is "ON" and connected to a network.

Next, go to Manage Connections > Wi-Fi Options. Press Menu > Wi-Fi Diagnostics. This information window will provide you with a number of areas about your wireless connection. When connected properly, this will tell you everything from the profile name, to IP address, status of your connection, UMA status, etc. This is a good place to start when you run into a WiFi problem.

Finally, we take this one step further and do a "Site Survey". This can be done by pressing Menu > Site Survey from the WiFi Diagnostics window. It will prompt you to start scan... so press your track ball and begin the scan. It will turn on your WiFi (if not on already) and scan for all available wireless networks. This then gives a detailed report of all of the WiFi networks available near you.

Specifically, you want to look at the network you desire to connect to and the channel it is running on! If your channel interferes with any of the other visible networks, then you will want to configure your router to have a different channel to get the best results. Sometimes interference can cause a number of connection issues and confuse your device! To change the channel on your router, consult your router's user guide or the manufacturer's website. In most cases, you go to your router's configuration page (192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 in your browser). Then, somewhere under the wireless settings, you can change the channel.

If your device is not connecting to the router, but it can see it through site survey, do a power cycle on both the router and your device. Once this has been completed, attempt to connect to the network again. If problems continue to persist, I recommend starting fresh from a full reset on the router (no security) and attempting to connect. Once you establish a connection without security, you can go back to the router's configuration and enable security. You will then need to make the proper adjustments to that network profile's security on your device... then connect.
    Last edited by bmcclure937; 08-07-08 at 07:47 PM.
    06-29-08 02:17 PM

Tweaking Your Router : Optimizing for UMA Calling

In this section, we will cover some settings you can tweak to return the best results for UMA calling on your router. I highly recommend using one of the TMobile supported routers, which come with custom TMobile firmware that is already optimized and configured for UMA calling. If you do not have a TMobile router and do not plan on purchasing one, then follow the basic steps I detail below will help tweak your router and get it running optimally for UMA. I will detail these steps for the Linksys WRT54G router, and I highly recommend this router if you are not using one of the official TMobile HotSpot routers (Linksys WRT54G-TM, Linksys WRTU54G or D-Link TM-G5240).

(If you are using any other brand of router, you should be able to follow similar configuration steps. Unfortunately, I cannot explain this for every router... so consult your users manual or manufacturer's website!)

NOTE : THIS SECTION IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION (When finished, this section will provide complete information on how to tweak minor settings on your home router for the best UMA calling experience possible!)

First, log in to your router's administration console from your PC's web browser.
    Generally, the default IP address for the router is 192.186.1.1 or 192.186.0.1.
    You will then be prompted to enter the username and password for your WiFi router.
    The default user name : (left blank) and password : 'admin'. Once you enter that information, access should be granted!
    Note : Your PC needs to be connected to the WiFi router in order to access this router page. You can either be wirelessly connected or hardwired, but hardwired connections usually make the configuration smoother

Next, we will change the default wireless channel on the router. Under the "Wireless" tab click the "Wireless Channel" drop-down menu and choose a channel that is not occupied. Then 'Apply' these changes.
    (Find an unoccupied channel by performing a site survey, detailed in the 'Troubleshooting' section of the guide!)

Please note that all of this information pertains to the Linksys WRT54GTM router.

Information for this particular section of the guide was compiled (with permission) from Hotspot @Home Troubleshooting - BlueRoomSolution

Other Router Configurations

NOTE : THIS SECTION IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION (When finished, this section will provide information on how to make other router changes, such as adding security, changing the wireless channel, changing admin password, etc)

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Q: What do I do if I get Error Code xxx??

A: Follow this link : Wifi / UMA Error Codes - BlackBerryFAQ or BlackBerry Search Results

2. Q: What is UMA??

A: For a simple answer, UMA (Unlicensed Mobile Access) allows calling over WiFi networks, somewhat like VoIP. This is an added convenience for WiFi phones and has benefits, such as alternative connection methods in poor coverage areas and FREE calling when using TMobile's HotSpot@Home feature!

3. Q: If I do not have a data plan, will I be charged for WiFi browsing? / Am I still able to use WiFi without a data plan?

A: No. There is no data charged to your account when using the WiFi Broswer... and you can use WiFi without a data plan!

4. Q: Why am I not able to use (insert name of third party app) with WiFi?

A: Many third party applications require some form of data plan in order to activate third party applications. Therefore, the majority of third party apps will not work with WiFi only!
      (See this thread for apps that will work on WiFi only : http://forums.crackberry.com/f65/bla...se-wifi-29376/)

5. Q: Why do I not see the WiFi option when I go to "Manage Connections"?? / What devices have WiFi functionality??

A: You do not see that option if your device is not supported. The devices that currently support WiFi are the 8120, 8220, 8320, 8820, 8900, 9000. All other devices do not support WiFi, as of the time of this post!

6. Q: My carrier is ATT and I have a WiFi device. Why can I not connect using WiFi?

A: One possible reason why you cannot connect using WiFi is that ATT restricts WiFi use to devices with data plans only. If you do not have a data plan on your line, you will not be able to use WiFi to access data. Sorry for any inconvenience!

You may attempt this procedure but I am unable to test and am not sure if it will work completely : How to browse internet on Blackberry phone using Wi-Fi without data plan with AT&T

7. Q: Are you able to use BlackBerry Messenger on WiFi only?

A: No. You are unable to use BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) when using WiFi only! You need a minimum data plan of email only for this to work.

(Please note, this information is general for all platforms but was tested using a TMobile 8320 Curve running OS 4.2.2.180, OS 4.5.0.42, OS 4.5.0.44, OS 4.5.0.46, OS 4.5.0.52, OS 4.5.0.55 and OS 4.5.0.69. Notice, if you are on a different carrier, there may be slight variations in the process... but it will be the same general concept overall.)

Special thanks to all of you who have supported me throughout the creation of this guide
    Published by bmcclure937 on CrackBerry. Please do not copy elsewhere without providing a link to this original guide
    Last edited by bmcclure937; 12-28-08 at 01:58 PM.
    06-29-08 02:17 PM
    ***Reserved***
    Last edited by bmcclure937; 08-07-08 at 07:08 PM.
    06-29-08 02:18 PM
    ***Reserved***
    Last edited by bmcclure937; 08-07-08 at 07:07 PM.
    06-29-08 02:19 PM
    Very nice guide, I am sure this will be very useful.
    06-29-08 02:45 PM
    Great write-up and I will go over this more when time allows but quick question. Is the Apple Airport a N router?
    06-29-08 06:14 PM
    Great write-up and I will go over this more when time allows but quick question. Is the Apple Airport a N router?
    Thanks for the compliment

As for the Apple Airport... it depends on which one.

The most recent, the Airport Extreme base station is Wireless N capable. (The older Airport Extreme was Wireless G)

Airport Express : Wireless N (newest one, older version was Wireless G)
    Original Airport : Wireless B

Basically, if your Airport Base Station looks like a little dome or orb... it is an older version.

The newer one (Airport Extreme with Wireless N) is the 6.5 inch square base station
    Last edited by bmcclure937; 06-29-08 at 08:03 PM.
    06-29-08 07:59 PM
    Wow, thanks for the how to my phone is now connected to wi-fi thanks to the router in my house, always wanted to know how this worked, you gave a very nice post, that was easy to follow, I chose the search method, & it went flawlessly!
    06-29-08 08:23 PM
    Wow, thanks for the how to my phone is now connected to wi-fi thanks to the router in my house, always wanted to know how this worked, you gave a very nice post, that was easy to follow, I chose the search method, & it went flawlessly!
    Awesome!! Glad to hear I could help, thanks for the feedback

And Happy Crackin'
    06-29-08 10:48 PM
    So this may be the reason I am always dropping calls at home and wifi connected. I have the newer version of the Airport.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-29-08 11:40 PM
    So this may be the reason I am always dropping calls at home and wifi connected. I have the newer version of the Airport.

That is a definite possibility! You can attempt to disable the N-band on your wireless router. I am not totally familiar with the specifics of the Airport Extreme, but I know there is the Airport Utility you will run from your computer to tweak the settings.

There should be some way to make it use Wireless G only or something along those lines. And that will help to solve your dropped network issues. Report back once you have attempted this
    06-29-08 11:47 PM
    Thanks for the how-to.
    I am using an 8820 and when I have my mobile network data off and try to connect with wi-fi I get a message for "unknown network failure." When I try to connect with the mobile network on it works perfectly. Any way to get it to work while having mobile network off?
    06-30-08 12:41 AM
    Thanks for the how-to.
    I am using an 8820 and when I have my mobile network data off and try to connect with wi-fi I get a message for "unknown network failure." When I try to connect with the mobile network on it works perfectly. Any way to get it to work while having mobile network off?
    There may be some restriction on the device that causes this. I have not heard of this specific problem, but have you done any of the WiFi diagnostics for both circumstances to see if there are any altercations??

ATT may have some restriction that does not allow the WiFi to work with the mobile network deactivated. (Anyone using ATT with the 8820 care to confirm?) Either way, with your mobile network off you would not be able to receive any calls, etc. since your only connection would be WiFi.

Get back with more details and we can try to troubleshoot further
    06-30-08 07:13 AM
    That is a definite possibility! You can attempt to disable the N-band on your wireless router. I am not totally familiar with the specifics of the Airport Extreme, but I know there is the Airport Utility you will run from your computer to tweak the settings.

There should be some way to make it use Wireless G only or something along those lines. And that will help to solve your dropped network issues. Report back once you have attempted this
    When I return home from my business trip I will look into this more. Thanks for the info!

06-30-08 11:34 AM
    There may be some restriction on the device that causes this. I have not heard of this specific problem, but have you done any of the WiFi diagnostics for both circumstances to see if there are any altercations??

ATT may have some restriction that does not allow the WiFi to work with the mobile network deactivated. (Anyone using ATT with the 8820 care to confirm?) Either way, with your mobile network off you would not be able to receive any calls, etc. since your only connection would be WiFi.

Get back with more details and we can try to troubleshoot further
    I was turning my mobile network data services off because I don't have a data plan. I just want to be able to surf the web with wifi because I get wifi pretty much everywhere I go. I've tried diagnostics and I don't know if ATT somehow is restricting my wifi usage?
    06-30-08 05:48 PM
    Have you followed any of the troubleshooting advice I provide within the guide?? If you have, can you please provide information on what the different menus are telling you once you do Site Surveys and WiFi Diagnostics, etc? That would really help troubleshoot your problem! Thanks!
    06-30-08 08:37 PM
    I talked to ATT today and found out that a prerequisite to using the wifi on the ATT 8820 is to have a data plan. Thanks for your help. Man...
    07-02-08 08:39 PM
    I talked to ATT today and found out that a prerequisite to using the wifi on the ATT 8820 is to have a data plan. Thanks for your help. Man...
    I figured that ATT had some limitation on their device, locking it down to only be able to use WiFi when a data plan was active (or something along those lines). Thank you very much for your feedback!!

I will edit the OP to include something about this...
    07-02-08 08:44 PM
    Wonderful write up. What is the main difference between Internet Explorer and Blackberry in the Emulation moder setting?
    07-03-08 11:51 AM
    Thanks for your compliment

I am still working to add more when time allows...

The difference is how your web browser renders the websites. You can play around with the settings to get what you like. I have not really used the BlackBerry setting under emulation mode because I have always had better luck with Internet Explorer.
    07-03-08 11:55 AM
    Note: you said 4.5 version of software does not have any problem with the N router but actually it is from 4.2.2.184 and up that has no problem with the N router justtt a little note
    07-03-08 02:17 PM
    Note: you said 4.5 version of software does not have any problem with the N router but actually it is from 4.2.2.184 and up that has no problem with the N router justtt a little note
    Thank you! I will make adjustments accordingly...

this is really a mute point though, because the majority of WiFi enabled devices are TMo devices running either OS 4.2.2.180 or some flavor of OS 4.5 Beta

I will make a side-note withing my guide (and remember, this is still being worked on actively... when I have time. I have a list of things to add and make more detailed!)

*EDIT* : Made a note under that information and gave you credit Thanks for your input!
    Last edited by bmcclure937; 07-03-08 at 02:23 PM.
    07-03-08 02:20 PM
    Thanks for your compliment

I am still working to add more when time allows...

The difference is how your web browser renders the websites. You can play around with the settings to get what you like. I have not really used the BlackBerry setting under emulation mode because I have always had better luck with Internet Explorer.
    Thanks for the info, will definitely play around with this when i get home and on the wifi, no wifi at the job .
    07-03-08 02:46 PM
    Very informative, thanks!
    07-05-08 09:48 AM
601 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD