Speaking to a client from RIM working on the new devices, he had told me that unlike the 9000, the bold touch will only utilize a single speaker. I forgot his specific title but i think he's an engineer/design lead in charge of audio systems.

Hope that answers some questions you guys had.
    04-24-11 12:04 PM
    Hmmmmm. Ok thanks for some info!
    04-24-11 12:52 PM
    Ahh, but pair a Playbook to it and you'll have lots of speakers.
    04-24-11 01:54 PM
    Speaking to a client from RIM working on the new devices, he had told me that unlike the 9000, the bold touch will only utilize a single speaker. I forgot his specific title but i think he's an engineer/design lead in charge of audio systems.

A client from RIM who is an engineer and working on the Bold Touch..... I really don't think so. RIM has some of the best engineers on the planet, I don't really believe they would be farming it out...
    04-24-11 04:02 PM
    hopefully its okay
    bold 9000 had great speakers (playing music through speakers actually sounded good) and speakerphone performance was awesome too

im sure the technology could have also gotten better so that a one speaker should be able to output something decent enough
    04-24-11 06:48 PM

1)You posted your first thread about holding the bold touch on April 1. So there's strike one on your credibility.
    2) you have a client and you don't even remember his title? never thought to write it down? don't take notes or anything?

Fishy, all I'm saying.
    04-24-11 06:51 PM
    How many design leading engineers in charge of audio systems does RIM employ? Someone's job might be in jeopardy if the OP is not lying. :P

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-24-11 07:29 PM
    if what the op said is true, then what a let down this will be. they need to push dual speakers onto their new devices.i use my phone sometimes to listen to music while in bed, so stereo speakers would be the icing on the cake.
    04-24-11 09:04 PM
    1)You posted your first thread about holding the bold touch on April 1. So there's strike one on your credibility.
    2) you have a client and you don't even remember his title? never thought to write it down? don't take notes or anything?

Fishy, all I'm saying.
    The area of contact with the client don't involve their job titles. I have a full name but I'm not going tell some rando on the internet looking for proof on a rumor - some people have a job and a reputation to worry about.
    04-24-11 09:17 PM
    Do we really care how many speakers it has? It is not like you'll be in a public place and blasting the music from it. Most probably you'll be using the earphones. My 2 cents.

I honestly cannot wait to have it.
    04-24-11 10:22 PM
    I hate using headphones so the music player/speakerphone is important to me. I noticed on the pre-release videos there didn't seem to show any side-speakers but I was hoping the Bold Touch devices shown were just mock-ups. I'm still holding out hope for quality over quantity, though.
    04-24-11 11:46 PM
    Do stereo speakers on such a small device make a difference?

A single good speaker would be enough for me. Actually this is one of the best features of the current Bold line. It lets you listen to audio spontaneously without carrying and hooking up headphones or paring over BT. I appreciate being able to just get in my car and start playing podcasts immediately, or play them in my pocket when I do chores in the house.

To me a loud and good speaker is like a great battery, it's about freedom.

Last edited by synthmole; 04-25-11 at 12:31 AM.
    04-25-11 12:29 AM
    omg, how are we going to survive with only one speaker
    04-25-11 01:57 AM
    if what the op said is true, then what a let down this will be. they need to push dual speakers onto their new devices.i use my phone sometimes to listen to music while in bed, so stereo speakers would be the icing on the cake.
    Same with me. Talk radio a lot of times or yt while trying to sleep.

04-25-11 03:15 AM
    I think the important factor, more so than how many speakers the phone has, is the positioning of it. I just hope it's not on the rear side of the phone, much like the 8900 (if I'm remembering correctly), because trying to listen to anything with the screen face-up on a desk was nauseating.

In fact, that was one of the main factors that disappointed me about the Xoom, with the two speakers on the back side, as opposed to the Playbook with the two speakers on the sides of the face.
    Last edited by Masahiro; 04-25-11 at 03:54 AM.
    04-25-11 03:51 AM
    Do we really care how many speakers it has? It is not like you'll be in a public place and blasting the music from it. Most probably you'll be using the earphones. My 2 cents.

I honestly cannot wait to have it.
    Well, no as long as one can produce sufficient volume and quality. And I only wear earphones when running or doing yard work, I am not in a profession that would deem it acceptable to have earphones on at work! Additionally, that is only part of the equation, the speakers effect ring tone quality and volume, and more importantly, speaker-phone volume and quality...the biggest thing I miss from my 9000, apart from the keyboard.
    04-25-11 10:10 AM
    The nice thing about a rear facing speaker is that placed against a hard surface sound bounces back amplified to the listener. What I'd change from the current placement is putting the speaker on the bottom but still facing the rear.

04-25-11 11:43 AM
    The nice thing about a rear facing speaker is that placed against a hard surface sound bounces back amplified to the listener. What I'd change from the current placement is putting the speaker on the bottom but still facing the rear.

I disagree. I think it makes it sound muffled.

04-25-11 11:48 AM
    The Bold 9000 2 side Stereo+1speaker port on top was THE BEST, of any phone ever- even the Microsoft "Surroud", which I tested for a week. Still have my 9000 and revert back for those speakers 2-3 times a year for a couple of weeks until the low program memory storage drives me back to the torch...
    I may not update to the touch bold if it doesn't have great speaker (s).
    04-25-11 09:46 PM
    i whole heartedly agree with the OP. I have the 9700 and the other day i pulled out my 9000 to play with it and BAM the speakers blew me away! I forgot how awesome the stereo speakers sounded. the phone even had a woofer vent on the top! beat that
    04-27-11 02:07 PM
    I hope it has speakers as good as the 9000 or better. Again, I hope that the speaker issue some had in the 9000 is fixed. Won't know until I have it in my hands. Hopefully it comes out soon!
    04-27-11 06:27 PM
    It will be a MAJOR let down to me if these speakers do not better or equal the 9000. I can't understand how someone could say the external speakers do not matter to them when just about all aspects of this device being a phone would be enhanced with great speakers.
    I am a huge music fan and LOVE the sound of the 9000. You could actually enjoy music by just hittin' the play button and laying the phone down.
    This will be a deal breaker for me. Kevin, can you comment on the speakers??
    05-03-11 09:26 AM
    Just let you guys know... the RIM has confirmed that the new Bolds will have only ONE speaker. This is on the news recently. The new device has only one speaker.

No, I don't get this info from some guy down the road who claim that he works for RIM, I read this on a news paper here in Canada.
    05-03-11 09:35 AM
    Yes,only one top speaker.Kevin confirmed this in his late-night 9900/9930 review here:BlackBerry Bold 9930 / 9900 Full Hardware and BlackBerry 7 Software Video Walkthrough! | CrackBerry.com No complaints about the speaker and I know my 8330 and the Style 9670,each with one big speaker, both sound very good.
    05-03-11 11:19 AM
    I really didn't expect them to have more than one speaker in such a thin device. I'm kind of glad I've never heard a 9000, ignorance is bliss.

05-03-11 12:47 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD