Lots of hybrid threads are filled with folks asking how to install hybrids, and whether they have correctly installed the various files.

This little guide is intended to help everyone understand what files are stored where on their computers, and how those files get installed to their BlackBerry.

First, whenever you install a BlackBerry OS to your computer, specific files and folders are created. On most XP machines, the BlackBerry OS files are installed to

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files

On most 64-bit Windows machines, the BlackBerry OS files are installed to

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files

When you install an OS, a new folder is created in this location (see image below).

Inside each of these folders are more folders, and a handful of other files. The key folder for our purposes is the Java folder - that is where all of the "cod" files are located which make up the BlackBerry OS and which will be loaded to your phone as part of the installation process.

What hybrid builders do is combine different cod files from different OS versions. Plain and simple. The hard part of this process is learning which cod files are interchangeable, which ones actually have any noticeable effect on performance, and which ones cause problems. Hybrid builders and testers usually go through a long trial and error process to make these determinations and then, once we have a solid build, we release the hybrid.

Hybrids are delivered in many different ways, but ultimately what needs to happen is the new combination of cod files has to end up in the Java folder of the newest OS folder on your computer.

Usually that's not a problem, as most users only have one OS folder installed on their computers at a time. But some folks have multiple OS installations on their computers, and they might forget which OS they have loaded on their BlackBerry. That is the primary reason hybrid builders recommend uninstalling all previously installed OSes from your computer, and then installing a clean "base" OS.

So long as you know which is the "latest and greatest" OS installed on your computer, then you can easily determine which folder to install a hybrid into.

The BlackBerry Loader program will install the highest version number it finds in the Loader Files folder.

I'm a part of the BDHP team, and our installers prompt you to select the proper installation path when you're using our builds. The screenshots below show that process.

I've read many hybrid builders' recommendations on wiping your device before installing their hybrid. Personally, I don't see any real benefit to this, since the phone is wiped clean as part of the standard OS install anyway. But some users have reported benefits in following this process. To each their own, I suppose.

What I do to install a hybrid is to make sure all the new cod files are copied into the correct Java folder, make sure all vendor.xml files are deleted from the folder located at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader, and then run the loader.exe file located in that same folder.

Before I install a hybrid, I make sure to keep a clean copy of the existing Java folder that I have installed on my phone. That way, if there is a problem with the hybrid, I can delete the hybridized Java folder, replace it with the previous Java folder, and "roll back" to a known working OS. An easy way to do this is to highlight the Java folder, and CTRL+drag it in the same window. You will end up with a new folder named "Copy of Java" for reversion purposes. If the hybrid doesn't work, or is unsatisfactory for any reason, just delete the Java folder and rename "Copy of Java" to "Java" and run the loader process again.

If you pay attention to the loader process, you can confirm that hybrid cods are being installed before you make any changes to your phone.

Sometimes loader will tell you you are downgrading the OS. That is not uncommon, because if even a single cod file is of a lower version number than what is installed on your phone, then you will get the downgrade message. You can choose to install the older versions - usually without any problems at all.

Once you get to the next screen, you'll see what components are going to be installed.

If you highlight one of the components and click the "Details" button, you will see a comparison of the files that are on your phone and the files you are about to install.

Scroll through that list and you will see which versions of each file are currently installed on your phone, as well as which versions are ready to be installed. If you see differences, then that is confirmation that you have properly installed the hybrid on your computer, and it is about to be installed on your BlackBerry.

Step-by-step Summary:

1. Make a backup copy of your existing Java folder.
    2. Copy the hybrid cods into the Java folder (hybrids that come in an installer package will just overwrite the cods in your Java folder automatically).
    3. Run loader, selecting downgrade if prompted to do so.
    4. Verify different cods are being installed during the loader process.
    5. Complete the loader process, making sure to do a full backup and restore during the installation.
    6. Enjoy your new OS.
    01-27-11 08:48 AM
    Thanky you for a very clear explanation. Now I am ready to load the new hybrid I have been wanting.
    01-27-11 10:13 AM
    Sorry for being such a pain+ a noob but what is a "Java"? Is it some kind of folder or file? =S
    01-28-11 05:31 PM
    Sorry for being such a pain+ a noob but what is a "Java"? Is it some kind of folder or file? =S
    The "Java" I'm referring to is the folder within the OS installation on your PC - you'll see it at the top of the list in the second image.

Inside that folder are all the "cod" files that make up the BlackBerry OS and which are loaded to your phone during the installation process.
    AiSeeWunFurTee likes this.
    01-28-11 06:17 PM
    OKay, thanks, one more question. I'm currently using OS 5 on 8520. Should I choose OS 5 or 6, or is it up to me?
    01-28-11 06:24 PM
    OKay, thanks, one more question. I'm currently using OS 5 on 8520. Should I choose OS 5 or 6, or is it up to me?
    I don't think the 8520 will run OS 6, but I'm not sure. I have a 9700, so that's mainly what I focus on.

However, even OS 5 devices can benefit from running hybrids that include OS 6 files. As I mentioned, I'm part of the BDHP team and I'm fairly confident that the latest BDHP hybrid (6.0) will work just fine on your device.

You can find it here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f224/bd...evices-579708/
    01-28-11 06:31 PM
    Hmm, it gets stuck on start up. Now what?
    01-28-11 07:02 PM
    Hmm, it gets stuck on start up. Now what?
    I need a little more information....and if you're dealing with the BDHP build it might be best to post over in that thread.

That being said, I know the first boot after installing a new hybrid can take a long time. Sometimes a VERY long time. Be patient and let the phone boot and do its thing. The loader.exe process is pretty foolproof. Thank god, because I've done my best to mess it up in the past...
    01-28-11 07:11 PM
    Uhh, okay, one more and probably NOT the last question, buuuut when I try to do anything like connect my BB to my PC it says something about how it can't connect and the system's software isn't there or something like that. Really getting scared now, is there a way to fix this? I'm sure this isn't JUST because of the BDHP 6.
    Oh yeah, while it was starting up (first time I installed thre BDHP 6) I kinda cancelled it. -_-
    And ANOTHER thing is whenever I try to start up the BB it says
    "App Error 200"
    "Reset"
    In black text.
    01-29-11 04:18 AM
    Uhh, okay, one more and probably NOT the last question, buuuut when I try to do anything like connect my BB to my PC it says something about how it can't connect and the system's software isn't there or something like that. Really getting scared now, is there a way to fix this? I'm sure this isn't JUST because of the BDHP 6.
    Oh yeah, while it was starting up (first time I installed thre BDHP 6) I kinda cancelled it. -_-
    And ANOTHER thing is whenever I try to start up the BB it says
    "App Error 200"
    "Reset"
    In black text.
    You need to get a little drastic here. Best advice I have is to download BlackBerry Master Control Program (should be easy to find either here or via google).

Once that's installed on your PC, open it up and click on the java icon (Java Loader / Main). Do a Factory Reset, which will strip your phone down to the basics. Once that's finished, run loader.exe again and all should be well.

And you should have a backup file of all your previous settings located in LoaderBackup-xxxxx somewhere on your PC (loader would have taken a backup during the first OS installation).

You can restore all your settings, messages, etc. from that file.

Only hassle here is you'll have to reinstall all your 3rd party apps if you had any. If you interrupt loader you won't be able to restore them.

I hope that helps.
    01-29-11 08:11 AM
    Sticky post if u ask me!
    wu-wei likes this.
    01-29-11 08:51 AM
    Bumpage... I'm sensing some new hybrids coming soon.
    02-07-11 09:49 PM
    Great post bro, but you should mention that different builders configure their installers differently
    For example, on my last few, if you install to the path you listed the hybrid won't install.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    wu-wei likes this.
    02-08-11 01:33 AM
    Great post bro, but you should mention that different builders configure their installers differently
    For example, on my last few, if you install to the path you listed the hybrid won't install.

Good point.

My guide is intended as more of a 'big picture' what-the-heck-happens-when-I-install-these-hybrid-thingies overview.

My hope was to educate folks a wee bit on the inner workings of hybrids, and to encourage them to carefully follow instructions provided by different hybrid builders.

I used the BDHP installer as an example only - and only because that's the one I had handy when I was writing.
    micher likes this.
    02-08-11 08:47 AM
    Good write-up and I also agree with SCrid2k above about different builders.
    wu-wei likes this.
    02-11-11 03:21 PM
    This was a great help.
    I already install the OS after following this step, my torch is working and all my app are installed and working but how I know that I install the BDHP 6.1 on my phone???
    wu-wei and ciprian74 like this.
    02-12-11 07:16 PM
    This was a great help.
    I already install the OS after following this step, my torch is working and all my app are installed and working but how I know that I install the BDHP 6.1 on my phone???
    Go to Options > Device > Application Management, hit the menu key, select Modules. Scroll through the list and you should see a variety of versions for all the net_rim_xxxxx entries, including some that are 6.1.0.7.
    02-12-11 09:29 PM
    that's a nice one.. thank you for the info.. even though to some it's already known how to go through the process but i guess some fine info can always be pointed out.. in my case, i wasn't aware of the downgrade message that might show.. so we have to go through downgrading since some cod files may be of the previous version.. no wonder.. it's common sense too..
    so, thanks!!

as i've been always following up on an upgrade after a clean wipe.. i'm still unsure if we should directly go ahead with the new os (hybrid or plain) installation without a wipe.. hmmmmmmm
    wu-wei likes this.
    02-13-11 04:01 PM
    how do we know that the hybrid is compatible with our bb model? for example i have a 9670 style and i havent seen any hybrids for it. on;y ones i think may work are the ones that say "all os 5 and os 6".
    04-10-11 04:14 PM
    I have a beginners question.

This is the the first hybrid os that I have tried to install on my Torch 9800 or on any other phone for that matter.

I followed all the instructions given by wu-wei to the fullest.

Everything went smoothly until the final reboot. After the reboot there seems to be some kind of software conflict (not positive) and end up getting an app error 606.

I have tried wiping the phone with various programs but the major problem is that I am unable to connect to the phone.

I have read many posts and threads and wasn't able to find a solution to my problem.

I would appreciate any help on this matter due to my phone being good only as a paperweight right now.

Kind Thanks
    08-28-11 06:31 PM

This is the the first hybrid os that I have tried to install on my Torch 9800 or on any other phone for that matter.

Everything went smoothly until the final reboot. After the reboot there seems to be some kind of software conflict (not positive) and end up getting an app error 606.

I have tried wiping the phone with various programs but the major problem is that I am unable to connect to the phone.

I have read many posts and threads and wasn't able to find a solution to my problem.

I would appreciate any help on this matter due to my phone being good only as a paperweight right now.

Kind Thanks
    Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with a hybrid. I'm hoping it wasn't one of mine. ;-)

Check these links for how to recover a bricked device:

http://forums.crackberry.com/tips-ho...l_cmder-53502/

http://forums.crackberry.com/tips-ho...ckberry-32322/
    dmortakis likes this.
    08-28-11 06:52 PM

Kind Thanks
    Hi!

Are you using the latest version of BlackBerry Desktop Software? Ever since I updated to the latest version everytime I want to wipe my device I have to go to Control Panel (on Windows OS and with my Bold connected via USB all the time), Uninstall a program section and then right click on Blackberry Desktop Software 6.1 and choose Repair. Once it is repaired, I run BBSAK and it gets recognized, and I can wipe my device with no problem. Maybe you should give it a try.

Hope it works..bye!

08-29-11 11:54 AM
    I have a problem. C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files
    I don't have Loader Files in the folder named Shared. What's the problem? Is it because of windows 7 or what?
    02-02-12 12:49 PM
    I have a problem. C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files
    I don't have Loader Files in the folder named Shared. What's the problem? Is it because of windows 7 or what?
    Look in - C:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\Research in Motion\Shared\Loader Files
    wu-wei likes this.
    02-02-12 12:59 PM
    Quick question regarding installing into the java folder. Do you just copy the contents of the Hybrid java folder to the base OS java folder, overwriting any files with the same names or do you just replace the base os java folder with the Hybrid java folder?
    06-14-12 01:42 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD