Does anyone know if it will be possible to use they keyboard on your BlackBerry phone to type on the PlayBook. I can't help but think about how awkward it must be to type a long document on an iPad.

Picture this, you are some place with your PB and BB but no laptop and you want to work on your latest presentation. Using your BlackBerry doesn't exactly cut it because the screen size doesn't allow you to proof and edit it as well as you need. Also, the PlayBook's touch screen is awkward and inaccurate for typing long presentations.

Do we think we will be able to use the BB keyboard to type on the PlayBook?
    03-07-11 02:49 PM
    It would be nice. They've confirmed that there is a bluetooth keyboard coming out, so not sure why they wouldn't allow the use of your BB for the same task.
    03-07-11 03:09 PM
    That would be a very good idea tbh. I'd make use of it on my Torch
    03-07-11 03:14 PM
    That would be a very good idea tbh. I'd make use of it on my Torch
    It would kind of be similar to the idea of the Torch. Instead of a slideout keyboard, you would have a bluetooth keyboard
    03-07-11 03:17 PM
    That would be an awesome feature!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-07-11 03:58 PM
    It would seem like a logical addition to make it work with the PB. At the very least, they've shown the email and BBM syncs instantly when paired so you could probably type in an email and save it as a draft and cut/paste.

But I'm hoping for better integration than that...
    03-07-11 03:59 PM
    There's a video somewhere where one of the RIM guys (not one of those display people) says you can use your BB keyboard with your PB.

edit: ****ed if i'm trawling through all the videos to find it. I just remember him saying so and going "that's a bloody good idea"
    03-07-11 04:47 PM
    It would seem like a logical addition to make it work with the PB. At the very least, they've shown the email and BBM syncs instantly when paired so you could probably type in an email and save it as a draft and cut/paste.

But I'm hoping for better integration than that...
    Except the PB doesn't have cut and paste - at least not yet.
    03-07-11 05:23 PM
    QNX as an OS has cut/copy/paste functionality but nothing is announced or known for sure whether BB tablet OS will have cut/copy/paste functionality.
    03-07-11 05:29 PM
    If your referring to the thread that someone posted that some devs where looking for it in the simulator I would not look for that to be the answer. Its not hard to add it and copy/paste is a staple for business use so why would RIM leave it out. Plus a lot of things are left out of the simulators until other SDK's are added. Just saying.

03-07-11 08:04 PM
    If your referring to the thread that someone posted that some devs where looking for it in the simulator I would not look for that to be the answer. Its not hard to add it and copy/paste is a staple for business use so why would RIM leave it out. Plus a lot of things are left out of the simulators until other SDK's are added. Just saying.

plus on the current BB OS versions cut/copy/paste is enabled using dual input (tapping beginning and end of section) so thats not possible on the PB sim, so it could even be there without being useable in it.

you are totally right though, currently the sim isnt a full sim, its just the base (with virtually no settings options) and a browser. i think this is to `hide` some of the features for launch.
    03-07-11 08:24 PM
    plus on the current BB OS versions cut/copy/paste is enabled using dual input (tapping beginning and end of section) so thats not possible on the PB sim, so it could even be there without being useable in it.

you are totally right though, currently the sim isnt a full sim, its just the base (with virtually no settings options) and a browser. i think this is to `hide` some of the features for launch.
    I'm really not sure what you are talking about here. On my Torch, I can multitouch before and after a word, sentence, paragraph, etc and hightlight it. I then press and hold the screen and a menu comes up to copy the text. All this is don't using just the screen, no keyboard, trackpad, or BlackBerry buttons. The technique I just describes is definitely available on a hareware level, its just a matter of getting the software to do it. Seeiing as how the Torch can do it already, there is no reason for the PlayBook to not copy and paste....

03-07-11 10:06 PM
    I'm really not sure what you are talking about here. On my Torch, I can multitouch before and after a word, sentence, paragraph, etc and hightlight it. I then press and hold the screen and a menu comes up to copy the text. All this is don't using just the screen, no keyboard, trackpad, or BlackBerry buttons. The technique I just describes is definitely available on a hareware level, its just a matter of getting the software to do it. Seeiing as how the Torch can do it already, there is no reason for the PlayBook to not copy and paste....

All he is saying is that in the simulator there is no copy and paste because of the way you describe it being touch. In the sim there is no way to duplicate the touch interface so it may be left out because of that fact. That's all.

03-07-11 10:37 PM
    Wanted to give this (original) thread a bump... anyone have more recent news about using your BB phone as input device/keyboard for your PB?
    05-11-11 11:07 AM
    I asked about this over a month ago and no answer.
    05-11-11 11:12 AM
    I asked about this over a month ago and no answer.
    Yeah, saw the thread went off-topic pretty quickly. Hopefully someone will see it now and offer some more recent insights...
    05-11-11 11:14 AM
    I find typing on the PB to be easier then on my 9700
    05-11-11 11:19 AM
    I purchased the Microsoft6000 Bluetooth keyboard at BB for $50. Despite one or two poor reviews, I find that it works great. No lag. The only downside is the timeout (a few minutes to save battery) on the keyboard if not in use. But otherwise, this makes a lot of difference and makes my PB practically a desktop with respect to typing. Tabbing is also quite useful to get around the screen rather than trying to zero in on links with big fat fingers like mine.
    05-11-11 05:38 PM
    I haven't seen/heard anything further about being able to do this, it would be really neat though. I wish RIM would shed some light for us.

For the time being, I opted for this $15 bluetooth keyboard: Mini Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard for PC iPhone iPod PS3 on eBay.ca (item 170579393204 end time 13-May-11 04:52:30 EDT) which works pretty good for its low price
    05-11-11 05:47 PM
    Its weird, because I felt like in the leadup to release I read something about it being possible, but maybe it was just wishful thinking. Here's hoping it does arrive sometime in a not-too-far-off update.
    05-12-11 09:39 AM
    I forgot about a Logitech MX 5000 keyboard I had for my laptop. Just connected it and am typing this post on it. It's a big bulky but works fine.

I will have to rethink my office layout. Now I have to look for the mouse that came with it and connect it.
    05-12-11 09:51 AM
    Would be nice if that was one of the "surprises" RIM had in store.
    05-12-11 04:28 PM
    BUMP! - Devs This would be a killer app. I never carry my BT keyboard on the road...but most every blackberry user carry's a BB with their PB.

Cost of BT keyboard = $30-$80
    What would i pay for an app that allowed me to use my BB keyboard and touchpad on PB = "priceless" or about $4.99-$9.99

Maybe capture 15% of PB users first year sales =

$1.5 Mil to $3 Mil in revenues. Make it work on ipad too = the sky's the limit

Complex app but i think you'll find a huge audience
    06-03-11 07:54 AM
    I type much faster on the playbook than on my blackberry and my spelling has improved thanks to RIM. If you need a keyboard to type long docs, then how will the BB keyboard help? I think a better option is a bluetooth keyboard.
    06-03-11 09:49 AM
    i think typing on bb and having the touchpad function for navigation and placement issues and always having the "keyboard" with you would be very useful. never without my bb and it would also be great to see the entire screen while entering text if you do anything with complex communications or calculations.
    06-07-11 10:24 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD