From n4bb.com:

Following on the footsteps of the last OS (v1.0.1.1690) it is being reported that OS v1.0.1.1696 is getting pushed out. Not all users will see the update just yet, as RIMs servers begin to update. However, it seems to be on its way under the OTA install and likely through Desktop Manager. Let us know if you see the update and are able to install. If you see any bug fixes, be sure to let us know what they are!

Anyone seeing it yet?

I'm currently not getting the push yet, but wonder what's in it.
    If anyone does get it, let us know of any changes

And the answer is here, thanks Kevin!
    IT's a TEASE. Not one we'll be blogging on the homepage. It's not an external/consumer update. It's an internal build. People with pre-release devices might be able to get it (just like how I got an internal build on my review unit the other day early of .1690 with quincy tools, etc. before it did get pushed public).

I checked with RIM... this .1696 is not getting pushed public right now. So save your fingers from tapping the Check for Updates button.

Though I'm sure we will see a ton of updates for the PlayBook... I'm guessing RIM won't push one on day one to consumers. And I'm sure when they do push them they'll probably want the changes to roll out some noticeable improvements and not just minor tweaks (unless they find some bugs they need to fix.... I do wish Bridge was smoother).
    Last edited by lyricidal; 04-19-11 at 08:04 PM.
    04-19-11 07:40 PM
    Probably fixes the Torch Bridging...
    04-19-11 07:48 PM
    Not here for me yet. Big update.
    04-19-11 07:50 PM
    I took a quick look, had a little 3mb update to 1690. Will be checking in on that later on. Thanks for the heads up.
    04-19-11 07:52 PM
    IT's a TEASE. Not one we'll be blogging on the homepage. It's not an external/consumer update. It's an internal build. People with pre-release devices might be able to get it (just like how I got an internal build on my review unit the other day early of .1690 with quincy tools, etc. before it did get pushed public).

I checked with RIM... this .1696 is not getting pushed public right now. So save your fingers from tapping the Check for Updates button.

Though I'm sure we will see a ton of updates for the PlayBook... I'm guessing RIM won't push one on day one to consumers. And I'm sure when they do push them they'll probably want the changes to roll out some noticeable improvements and not just minor tweaks (unless they find some bugs they need to fix.... I do wish Bridge was smoother).
    lyricidal, Maiev and jessi449 like this.
    04-19-11 07:54 PM
    Thanks for the info Kevin, much appreciated!

Can we please get a topic title change, even if just to add a ? (or whatever seems more appropriate)
    thanks again!
    04-19-11 07:55 PM
    my playbook already downloaded the update.
    04-19-11 07:59 PM
    consumer or pre-release/corporate seeding device?? i'll be curious to see how many times we see internal builds leak out to consumers... kinda feels like RIM doesn't have a full lock down on how they distribute these builds internally.
    04-19-11 08:03 PM
    consumer or pre-release/corporate seeding device?? i'll be curious to see how many times we see internal builds leak out to consumers... kinda feels like RIM doesn't have a full lock down on how they distribute these builds internally.
    my playbook had a green tag in it with a number. I don't know though.
    04-19-11 08:17 PM
    WHAT!!!!!
    04-19-11 08:18 PM
    Still running ver 1690...but then again it's only been one day
    04-19-11 08:25 PM
    ok nevermind it goes through the update process but still shows 1690. but it show me the update whenever i check.
    04-19-11 08:27 PM
    I am getting the following error. Can anyone help?

post image wordpress1
    04-19-11 09:43 PM

Woops... haha.
    04-19-11 10:10 PM
    Anyone with the .1696 update installed via Desktop Manager willing to give this a try? [If anyone even has been able to do so via DM]

How To: Rip a PlayBook OS Update via Desktop Manager [Work In Progress]

- Go To your "Application Data\Research in Motion\Blackberry\Loader Cache" folder
    - highlight any files that are there [if you see a CDMA/Java folder, chances are thats a DM update from your BB and isn't what we're looking for]
    - Right click and add them to a .zip/rar file (Winrar or Winzip suggested)
    - Upload to multiupload.com

Now from this we can potentially figure out how to get the pre-release updates to our PB if we find someone to rip them
    04-19-11 10:14 PM
    Anyone else getting a 1MB .1690 update? I get one every so often. Other wise my PB is flawless. and no i'm not exaggerating haha
    04-19-11 10:25 PM
    Anyone else getting a 1MB .1690 update? I get one every so often. Other wise my PB is flawless. and no i'm not exaggerating haha
    I got this when i deleted one of the apps that came pre-installed. It thinks part of the os goes missing and tries to update it to replace it. To me, thats a weird bug. I believe I deleted the NFB app...
    04-19-11 10:35 PM
    I got this when i deleted one of the apps that came pre-installed. It thinks part of the os goes missing and tries to update it to replace it. To me, thats a weird bug. I believe I deleted the NFB app...
    hmmm i did delete slacker and the mail browser bookmarks. maybe that's it. weird.
    04-19-11 10:39 PM
    hmmm i did delete slacker and the mail browser bookmarks. maybe that's it. weird.
    Yeah, Slacker did it. Definitely a bug that needs to be fixed.
    04-20-11 08:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD