so I just heard that android officially got netflix on some phones. I wish they gave some luv to the pb. how hard can it be to make it for one device. does bb have drm enabled on the pb? are they waitng for the NDK? why wouldn't rim give it to them early.
    05-12-11 05:01 PM
    it took a long time to get it on android, and its only a few so far
    05-12-11 05:16 PM
    Does the actual site work on the PlayBook?
    05-12-11 05:19 PM
    so I just heard that android officially got netflix on some phones. I wish they gave some luv to the pb. how hard can it be to make it for one device. does bb have drm enabled on the pb? are they waitng for the NDK? why wouldn't rim give it to them early.
    DRM isn't a concrete service that a device or OS can either support or not support. In order to apply Digital Rights Management to a product, the content provider has to design a method to distribute the content so that it cannot be used in a manner that is not desired or intended by the content provider. The content provider has to design their DRM based on the capabilities of the underlying OS they are looking to distribute to.

As to your question "how hard can it be to make it for one device?", in many circumstances it can be quite a project.

And to your question "why wouldn't rim give it to them early?", the answer is simple... RIM's implementation of QNX is still in its infancy and still has a bit of work to go. It wasn't a simple matter of just slapping QNX's kernel onto a device and setting it free. RIM still has to finish building their OS layers around the QNX kernel.
    05-12-11 05:24 PM
    Does the actual site work on the PlayBook?
    no because the PB doesnt have silverlight support
    05-12-11 05:25 PM
    You can only put movies into your Netflix que from the PlayBook.
    05-12-11 05:32 PM
    The PlayBook already has content protection certificates (DRM) preloaded. They are just waiting for certification and then either RIM or third parties will be able to rent or sell protected content like videos, tv shows, music, etc.

BlackBerry PlayBook DLNA Media Streaming Certification Coming Soon - BerryReview
    05-12-11 06:09 PM
    I sure do hope that netflix will become available in the near future.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-12-11 06:41 PM
    Pretty sure it will be, just that the Netflix apps are released slow as ****... The android rollout is going really terribly so far...
    05-12-11 06:53 PM
    I heared it was in the works, but it seems it will come soon now. Even if we don't't get the official one, I'm sure someone will port it over from the andriod player.

05-12-11 07:10 PM
    I would be hope it comes native since the android player is probably 3 or more months out
    05-12-11 07:21 PM
    I hope it comes native because I trust Netflix to do it like I trust a crack addict to hold my wallet....
    05-12-11 07:37 PM
    I hope they build native app for netflix and all other significant applications, I think they need to for the pb to be credible in the tablet market. I understand that it's new but 2 things bother me about the way RIM handled the launch and production of the pb.
    1. they 7 months to approach the big players of apps and tell them they are making this game changing tablet, just liked they worked with EA, they should of made an effort to approach companies such as netflxi, skype, citrix, amazon for thier apps as well.
    2. the silence is killing me, I don't know when we are getting the apps, and I feel i paid a lot of money for a web browser and the need for speed game.

at the end of the day I do luv my pb and take it with me everywhere but hey, I have to bi*** to someone.

happy waiting....
    05-12-11 07:39 PM
    Imo it hasn't been that long of a wait though. So there isn't a ton to complain about yet (since the missing native apps were a known issue).

If it's another month or so with no news, then yeah I'd be more upset...
    05-12-11 07:47 PM
    NetFlix developed an app so I can stream video on my Sony Dash - built upon the Chumby platform. They sold what, 13 of those?

BlackBerry needs to go hire whatever genius at Sony convinced Netflix to make an App for that thing. That seems like a modern day miracle to me. I mean, heck, they managed to get Hulu, Amazon, AND Netflix on that. Amazing.
    05-12-11 07:47 PM
    NetFlix developed an app so I can stream video on my Sony Dash - built upon the Chumby platform. They sold what, 13 of those?

BlackBerry needs to go hire whatever genius at Sony convinced Netflix to make an App for that thing. That seems like a modern day miracle to me. I mean, heck, they managed to get Hulu, Amazon, AND Netflix on that. Amazing.
    What's a sony dash?

05-12-11 08:47 PM
    What's a sony dash?

I'll assume you're not joking - Dash� Personal Internet Viewer | Sony | Sony Store USA. It's a 7" touchscreen stationary device (meaning it plugs in) that is built upon the Chumby OS. The Chumby OS allows for the running of mostly simple Flash based apps. Chumby actually makes their own devices - chumby that more or less resemble the Dash. However, the original Chumby devices did not have Amazon On Demand, Netflix, or Hulu - Sony's somehow convinced them to make those apps exclusively for the Dash.

Depending on how you want to look at it, it's either a super fancy alarm clock that can run apps - or it's a really crappy stationary tablet. Sony put a lot of marketing into the device and released it at the same time as the first generation iPads. Despite not selling well, they're actually releasing a new version of the device in the next few months. It retails for $149.
    05-12-11 10:14 PM
    One of the BlackBerry reps came to my store awhile before the PlayBook launched and we exchanged pins and we talk here and there and he asks me what I think so far and if Ive tried different things. I asked him about NetFlix on the PlayBook and he said it was soon to come. Just like RIM is in talks with HULU they are also working on a NetFlix app for PlayBook. I'm really looking forward to it.
    05-13-11 01:44 PM
    they are working on a lot! but it would be nice to see some kind of timeframe associated with these different things....
    05-13-11 02:41 PM
    One of the BlackBerry reps came to my store awhile before the PlayBook launched and we exchanged pins and we talk here and there and he asks me what I think so far and if Ive tried different things. I asked him about NetFlix on the PlayBook and he said it was soon to come. Just like RIM is in talks with HULU they are also working on a NetFlix app for PlayBook. I'm really looking forward to it.
    I hope you're right about Netflix being "soon to come."
    05-13-11 03:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD