Mobility Insider

Is anyone else a little skeptical when reading this site? It's been over a week since they claimed they had a playbook, but still haven't posted any real video's of it (and now claim that that first post was their "full report" when in that post they said the full report would be coming within a couple of days).

Now they claim to have the pricing of the unit, but their price list has an 8 gb system and no 64 gb system, while so far RIM has said that the playbooks are 16, 32, and 64:

"There will be 3 models of the BlackBerry PlayBook (8GB, 16GB and 32GB) that are currently tagged with the following prices according to our insider:

8GB: $399

16GB: $499

32GB: $599"

They also say "Since launch has been delayed to at least mid-February 2011," as if it is common knowledge, when RIM hasn't given any date at all, let alone notice that the release has been delayed.

Anyway, I'm seriously starting to doubt the veracity of their content. Maybe tomorrow they will post a full playbook walkthrough and prove me wrong - and I hope they do - but until they do I'm taking their playbook news with a grain of salt.
    11-24-10 10:22 AM
    I don't see a source referenced. I take anything without a link to something credible with a grain of salt. Could be true, though.
    11-24-10 10:32 AM
    I don't see a source referenced. I take anything without a link to something credible with a grain of salt. Could be true, though.
    The link is the first item on the page, before his comment. Click it
    11-24-10 10:35 AM
    I'm pretty sure CASH meant a linked source on Mobility Insiders actual site.
    CASH likes this.
    11-24-10 10:36 AM
    I was skeptical from the first very dark video. Seriously they don't own a lamp or what?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-10 10:58 AM
    Mobility Insider

Is anyone else a little skeptical when reading this site? It's been over a week since they claimed they had a playbook, but still haven't posted any real video's of it (and now claim that that first post was their "full report" when in that post they said the full report would be coming within a couple of days).

Now they claim to have the pricing of the unit, but their price list has an 8 gb system and no 64 gb system, while so far RIM has said that the playbooks are 16, 32, and 64:

"There will be 3 models of the BlackBerry PlayBook (8GB, 16GB and 32GB) that are currently tagged with the following prices according to our insider:

8GB: $399

16GB: $499

32GB: $599"

They also say "Since launch has been delayed to at least mid-February 2011," as if it is common knowledge, when RIM hasn't given any date at all, let alone notice that the release has been delayed.

Anyway, I'm seriously starting to doubt the veracity of their content. Maybe tomorrow they will post a full playbook walkthrough and prove me wrong - and I hope they do - but until they do I'm taking their playbook news with a grain of salt.
    The video they posted was on front page of CB a couple weeks age; but here is the link to it http://crackberry.com/blackberry-pla...st-impressions. Not, sure if you were looking a longer video, maybe an hour of them playing with the PB

Also, I want the 64gb so the price on that one would be nice.
    Last edited by Detective M Downs; 11-24-10 at 11:29 AM.
    11-24-10 11:10 AM
    this site is not a credible source IMO. the stories that are legit seem to have actual sources and they just rehash that info. the "new" content with no sources seems sketchy all the time.
    11-24-10 11:17 AM
    The video they posted was on front page of CB a couple weeks age; but here is the link to it http://crackberry.com/blackberry-pla...st-impressions. Not, sure if you were looking a longer video, maybe an hour of them playing with the PB
    You mean to say you don't want a longer video?

Additionally, they said in that very first post a longer, in depth video would be coming, and it has never shown up. Now there latest post states that that video was their full report. That doesn't strike you as sketchy at all?

I gave the site the benefit of the doubt because of the video, but c'mon, it's 50 seconds of a poorly lit finger moving across a screen. Maybe they ran into Balsille in the hallway like engadget did, who knows?

I would simply like some more proof from them that what they are saying is valid, instead of taking everything at face value as they are asking us to.
    11-24-10 11:27 AM
    It's funny when they say "delayed until mid-February" when they've never given a launch date outside of calender Q1 2011. Their guidance during the next earnings call will reveal when they expect the PlayBook to launch.
    11-24-10 12:02 PM
    I appreciate the comments and would like to address a few things.

First of all, we beleive this pricing to be 100% accurate as it was given to us by a very reliable RIM connect, same that gave us the PlayBook. We were only given a heads up about the 8GB, 16GB and 32GB models. Not sure if there will be a 64GB and if so what the price would be. The post referencing our article in this thread was taken out of context becuase I did not post anything about a 64GB model. See mobilityinsider.com for the legit report.

As for an updated PlayBook video, we are working on it. One big feature we want on the complete review video is the sync between the PlayBook and BlackBerry (seperate application that mirrors BlackBerry data and allows the tethering of data). We are expecting the beta app soon, but as you can imagine its hard to get. Also, the update will be in HD and not a jumpy, out of focus quick video as before. Stay tuned!

Addressing the comment about our report of the PlayBook being pushed back until at least mid-Feb 2011. That is legit. Reason for the delay, RIM originally planned to release the PlayBook with a single core processor (not the dual-core), they made the switch and it pushed production back. Demo units are on lock down and very hard to get because of this reason. RIM does not want reviews on the single core pre-production unit that few people have right now.

Ryder - mobilityinsider.com
    makaveli28 likes this.
    11-24-10 12:19 PM

First of all, we beleive this pricing to be 100% accurate as it was given to us by a very reliable RIM connect, same that gave us the PlayBook. We were only given a heads up about the 8GB, 16GB and 32GB models. Not sure if there will be a 64GB and if so what the price would be. The post referencing our article in this thread was taken out of context becuase I did not post anything about a 64GB model. See mobilityinsider.com for the legit report.
    I like that you guys posted a video but this isn't mine or anyone else's first trip on the "reliable sources confirm" merry-go-round. You didn't mention the 64GB model but Mr. Balsillie did. It was on the PowerPoint slide for his presentation in the Middle East at GiTEX. It didn't mention an 8GB version either.

Addressing the comment about our report of the PlayBook being pushed back until at least mid-Feb 2011. That is legit. Reason for the delay, RIM originally planned to release the PlayBook with a single core processor (not the dual-core), they made the switch and it pushed production back. Demo units are on lock down and very hard to get because of this reason. RIM does not want reviews on the single core pre-production unit that few people have right now.

Who's your source? Ashok Kumar? Because that was his line for the reasons he kept using for getting the PlayBook predictions wrong.

I'm sure there are all types of early versions of the PlayBook floating around since it's been in development for a long time. But to say a product is "delayed" when there is no announced release date is funny to me.
    Last edited by WillieLee; 11-24-10 at 12:41 PM.
    11-24-10 12:29 PM
    Hello Mobility Insider,

Thank you for your reply. I am not sure what you meant that the quote was taken out of context because you did not mention a 64 gb product - I state that clearly in my original post. That is one of the issues I have with the credibility of your information - RIM has said that the devices are 16, 32, and 64. Your pricing is for 8, 16, and 32.

The updated video - I'm sorry, but that comes across as a very poor excuse. You will not post evidence you actually have a playbook because you are waiting for RIM to make public an ap that doesn't yet exist? Last week that video was supposed to come "very soon" - now it's not coming until after you get the ap. It seems like you are simply saying that to avoid having to post anything more until you actually are able to get your hands on a device. If you've already had one for two weeks, why not show us? There is a huge demand for information. A ten minute video tour of the device you have minus the blackberry pairing would be amazing and put everyones concerns regarding the validity of your site to rest.

The Playbook being pushed back - You didn't have a report on that - you wrote it offhand in another report. RIM has never given a release date yet for the product, and your site has never posted one either, so if no release date has been set, how can it be pushed back?

Your site is brand new - only a few weeks older than your first playbook report - it has no credibility yet. Your review of the playbook featured no information not readily available on the internet at the time (and did not contain anything we have since learned about the device). Your video was, as you said yourself, jumpy and out of focus as well as being short and having no actual sound.

If and when you post that video of the playbook, then you will have earned credibility and I at least will take your content more seriously. I have subscribed to your site and will continue to follow it in the hopes that you are legit but right now you have not really done anything to earn any trust.

This is the internet. I can't believe the word of a brand new website using hearsay from anonymous sources, and hope that you can understand that. I would be quite pleased if you proved my skepticism wrong.
    11-24-10 12:36 PM
    Hey cx any truth to what this guy is saying???????
    11-24-10 01:13 PM
    I think this guy is full of it someone on the inside must filmed it very quickly that's why its so dark and the quality of the video was bad and he's just wait for another video to come .
    I can't believe this guy is trying to fool us like this buddy get a life were not little kids!!!!!!!!!!!
    He has a playbook BS!!!!!!!
    11-24-10 01:17 PM
    Wow, I sense a whole lot of anger in this thread. I believe with RIM tightening up on the leaks people here in the forums have not only lost their patience but also are completely pissed off. So in turn any info with no credible source these days just gets completely bashed. It's pretty funny actually but I also understand the frustration.
    So you better be credible Mobility Insider cause a whole lot of people are calling you out here and obviously for good reason....
    howarmat and Branta like this.
    11-24-10 02:16 PM
    Sounds about right to me. The info leaked earlier about pricing was the 8gb version would be priced very agressively and at below $400, it is. I also believe that a 64gb version was not going to be available at the initial launch according to an earlier thread. The price points seem very reasonable and the 8gb version will sell like hotcakes at that price. If the microusb connection will support one of those tiny microsd card readers....I won't need any more than 8gb if I can plug in a 32 or 64gb card through the port.

11-24-10 02:37 PM
    Wow, I sense a whole lot of anger in this thread. I believe with RIM tightening up on the leaks people here in the forums have not only lost their patience but also are completely pissed off. So in turn any info with no credible source these days just gets completely bashed. It's pretty funny actually but I also understand the frustration.
    So you better be credible Mobility Insider cause a whole lot of people are calling you out here and obviously for good reason....
    Other than the one poster I don't think anyone is being angry or aggressive, only justifiably skeptical - as anyone should be when dealing with a new, unproven website posting hearsay from anonymous sources.

Mobility Insider could easily prove their credibility by posting another, more detailed video but they either choose not to for the reasons Ryder posted or cannot do so because they do not really have the device. Either way, unless another video of theirs goes up soon, they have no evidence to back up any of their claims which makes everything they say suspicious - especially when what they are saying (harddrive size) flies in the face of announcements RIM has already made.
    11-24-10 02:49 PM
    Sounds about right to me. The info leaked earlier about pricing was the 8gb version would be priced very agressively and at below $400, it is. I also believe that a 64gb version was not going to be available at the initial launch according to an earlier thread. The price points seem very reasonable and the 8gb version will sell like hotcakes at that price. If the microusb connection will support one of those tiny microsd card readers....I won't need any more than 8gb if I can plug in a 32 or 64gb card through the port.

Nothing has leaked about an 8 gb version. It was announced that there were three models - 16gb, 32 gb, and 64 gb. It was later stated that the playbook would cost less than $500. There has been no mention of an 8gb version whatsoever.
    11-24-10 02:50 PM
    honestly guys if you have a playbook in your hands and you wanted to do a small video of it to post do you think you would do it like the crap mobileinsider did really are they serious ? did they watch it before posting it come on if its in your possesion you would record until you get somthing have decent . no that video was like those pirated movies someone sneaking in a camera and geting a quick look period .
    11-24-10 03:16 PM
    Nothing has leaked about an 8 gb version. It was announced that there were three models - 16gb, 32 gb, and 64 gb. It was later stated that the playbook would cost less than $500. There has been no mention of an 8gb version whatsoever.
    http://m.crackberry.com/blackberry-playbook-be-available-under-500?page=1

Front page of Crackberry....8, 16 and 32gb models, no mention of a 64gb version. I have also never seen anything directly from RIM confirming a 64gb version available at launch.

11-24-10 03:34 PM
    Did you actually go to the source or are you relying on Crackberry's post? If you read the source article there is no mention of an 8 gb tablet in it. It was Crackberry that said it was 8gb, not RIM. Notably, Engadgets article on the price (from Bloomberg and a Korean interview) does not mention an 8 gb tablet.

BlackBerry PlayBook to cost 'under' $500 -- Engadget

It was Jim Balsillie himself who said models were 16, 32, and 64 - not 8, 16, and 32.

http://crackberry.com/rim-s-co-ceo-j...playbook-gitex

You can see the slide without even playing the youtube video.
    Last edited by wayoung; 11-24-10 at 03:44 PM.
    gots2beme likes this.
    11-24-10 03:42 PM
    I don't belive Mobility Insider owes this thread/CB anything or, needs for this thread/CB to validate their credibilty. Also, I think this is how we lose whatever news (true or false) we do get on new devices (i.e. Salomondrin). Its simple, take the news for what it is, a rumor!
    fatla likes this.
    11-24-10 05:26 PM

As for an updated PlayBook video, we are working on it. One big feature we want on the complete review video is the sync between the PlayBook and BlackBerry (seperate application that mirrors BlackBerry data and allows the tethering of data). We are expecting the beta app soon, but as you can imagine its hard to get. Also, the update will be in HD and not a jumpy, out of focus quick video as before. Stay tuned!

How about making the longer video without the tethering? --- Save that for a third video when an app comes out for it...
    11-24-10 05:44 PM
    Did you actually go to the source or are you relying on Crackberry's post? If you read the source article there is no mention of an 8 gb tablet in it. It was Crackberry that said it was 8gb, not RIM. Notably, Engadgets article on the price (from Bloomberg and a Korean interview) does not mention an 8 gb tablet.

BlackBerry PlayBook to cost 'under' $500 -- Engadget

It was Jim Balsillie himself who said models were 16, 32, and 64 - not 8, 16, and 32.

RIM’s co-CEO Jim Balsillie shows off the BlackBerry Playbook at GITEX | CrackBerry.com

You can see the slide without even playing the youtube video.
    +1. I agree with everything you've been saying this whole thread. For that, I will give you thanks.

I don't belive Mobility Insider owes this thread/CB anything or, needs for this thread/CB to validate their credibilty. Also, I think this is how we lose whatever news (true or false) we do get on new devices (i.e. Salomondrin). Its simple, take the news for what it is, a rumor!
    +1
    11-24-10 06:19 PM
    ok, so my thoughts on it for what its worth, are while they dont have to validate what they are saying, i can see why people are commenting in the way they are, as the first posting is now the `in depth` which does come across as odd, however lets take them at face value and say they are waiting for this app, i know they will need the app to tether to BB so lets believe that.

the only thing i dont get, is where this 8Gb version has suddenly come from, as many have stated the slide at GITEX clearly states 16, 32 and 64 variants, so im a tad confused by that, and as RIM said Q1 2011, then its not delayed until 1st april, or if RIM do mention a date then miss that. Possibly `pushed back` should of been used instead of delayed, as this would (if what is being said is right) be more factually accurate.
    11-24-10 06:32 PM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD