Microsoft just issued a Press Release making their acquisition of SKYPE official. The full release can be found at:
    Microsoft to Acquire Skype: Combined companies will benefit consumers, businesses and increase market opportunity.

In the release it says:
    "Skype will support Microsoft devices like Xbox and Kinect, Windows Phone and a wide array of Windows devices, and Microsoft will connect Skype users with Lync, Outlook, Xbox Live and other communities. Microsoft will continue to invest in and support Skype clients on non-Microsoft platforms."

We learned last week in Orlando that RIM and BING are going to have a very close relationship. I'd imagine that Microsoft's takeover of Skype can be nothing but good news for us Playbook owners.

I know people have been told by SKYPE that they have no intention of making an app for the Playbook. All of this may change as Microsoft assumes control of the company.
    05-10-11 08:24 AM
    as there currently isnt a skype app for playbook it cant be a bad thing lol, and yea id imagine now RIM and microsoft are bff`s that we should see some good stuff soon. who knows, it mightave been `let us run bing as default search and we`ll give you a skype client` kinda deal. wouldnt supprise me at all.
    05-10-11 08:30 AM
    I wonder if the $8 billion will stop them from buying (rumor) RIM?
    05-10-11 08:31 AM
    This makes me curious about Apple. Not to start a flame war, but a lot of companies are buying smaller companies (RIM, Microsoft etc) and cornering talent while there is no news about Apple buying other companies. Makes me wonder if Apple might find itself in a little corner with Mac OS and iOS?
    I'm just thinking aloud as a Macbook user, so please Apple trolls don't flame me. Contribute intelligently...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-10-11 08:39 AM
    Yeah mix skype with the mighty blackberry bridge. That would be nice.
    05-10-11 09:02 AM
    Like someone else said it can't be bad news. MSFT has unlimited resources, they don't need to wait like skype did in order to see where other platforms go in order to make the app for them, MSFT will make the app anyways and make it available to their partners in exchange for other services.
    05-10-11 09:03 AM
    This makes me curious about Apple. Not to start a flame war, but a lot of companies are buying smaller companies (RIM, Microsoft etc) and cornering talent while there is no news about Apple buying other companies. Makes me wonder if Apple might find itself in a little corner with Mac OS and iOS?
    I'm just thinking aloud as a Macbook user, so please Apple trolls don't flame me. Contribute intelligently...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Although Apple hasn't acquired any company in the past few months, they're still active in acquiring companies. Just last year they bought out four different companies in the span of 7 months.
    05-10-11 09:09 AM
    I would say this news is irrelevant for Playbook users for the time being.
    05-10-11 09:13 AM
    I would say this news is irrelevant for Playbook users for the time being.
    The only relevant thing for us is an update. The rest is just problems and complaints and frustation etc.
    05-10-11 09:16 AM
    To each his own I guess. I prefer Google maps to Bing. I prefer Google search hands down over Bing. I prefer Gmail to Hotmail. So the further in bed RIM gets with Microsoft the less I can expect from Google in the way of PB apps. And knowing MS if they do end up buying Skype they will roll it into Lync and it won't bear much resemblance to Skype as we've come to know it.
    05-10-11 09:59 AM
    Does this mean Microsoft realizes Windows Phone isn't going anywhere or does this mean they are using Skype with their close partner Nokia to beat back Apple, Rim, and Android?

This could be very good or very bad news really.
    tstrike34 likes this.
    05-10-11 10:12 AM
    as there currently isnt a skype app for playbook it cant be a bad thing lol, and yea id imagine now RIM and microsoft are bff`s that we should see some good stuff soon. who knows, it mightave been `let us run bing as default search and we`ll give you a skype client` kinda deal. wouldnt supprise me at all.
    I don't know about that. Support for Microsoft products is now suddenly high up on the priority lists for the Skype team. So that could mean delays in support and updates for other platforms.

To each his own I guess. I prefer Google maps to Bing. I prefer Google search hands down over Bing. I prefer Gmail to Hotmail. So the further in bed RIM gets with Microsoft the less I can expect from Google in the way of PB apps. And knowing MS if they do end up buying Skype they will roll it into Lync and it won't bear much resemblance to Skype as we've come to know it.
    Why? Google would just turn its back on more users and more usage of their services? No. If there is (high enough) demand, there will be an offer. Google would not abandon that portion of the pie just because Microsoft got there first -- if the piece is worth fighting for, Google will go after it.
    Last edited by Intosh; 05-10-11 at 10:32 AM.
    05-10-11 10:21 AM
    What I see happening here is that Microsoft will give RIM the tech specs for Skype and their blessing to code a client. That way it costs Microsoft nothing in terms of money or manpower (except for testing and validation, of course).
    05-10-11 11:12 AM
    i do not see this is a bad thing simply because not all MS products are exclusive. i actually see this as a good thing not just for the playbook.
    05-10-11 08:38 PM
    I don't know about that. Support for Microsoft products is now suddenly high up on the priority lists for the Skype team. So that could mean delays in support and updates for other platforms.
    ok, i`ll put it real simple then, as of right now, no skype app exists. things can only get better.
    biffz0r likes this.
    05-10-11 08:47 PM
    ok, i`ll put it real simple then, as of right now, no skype app exists. things can only get better.
    Unless, of course, you are going to need a Windows7 phone to use Skype.

Just a thought!
    05-10-11 10:10 PM

Just a thought!
    no, their press statement clearly says they will continue working on non MS platforms too
    05-10-11 10:23 PM
    no, their press statement clearly says they will continue working on non MS platforms too
    Yes, I heard/read that too, and really hope it continues to be so.

But with such an expensive acquisition, they are definitely going to want to streamline it for their own maximum benefit.

This is where I, as a regular Skype user, have my fears.
    05-10-11 10:37 PM
    Aside from the Spam aspect of Hotmail, it is a far superior email client than gmail. I'm sorry, but threaded emails are a fad that will fade.

BTW, I don't use Hotmail or Gmail regularly, but access both often enough to know how they work.
    06-14-11 11:10 AM

Just a thought!
    Microsoft did not buy Skype for $8 Million just to have it as a Windows phone exclusive. They paid that much for it because they envision it being on every device in the world.
    06-14-11 11:12 AM
    Microsoft did not buy Skype for $8 Million just to have it as a Windows phone exclusive. They paid that much for it because they envision it being on every device in the world.
    Yep dead on

Comcast invites Skype into its cable boxes, mobile apps
    06-14-11 11:17 AM
    Use of Skype on BB devices has been a thorne.

BB is dependent upon network providers to sell BB phones and maintain the BB network.
    There is no incentive for a network provider to have BB utilize the Skype service
    ... it will take away the network's ability to sell long distance (and some domestic) phone service.

Based upon their primary alliance and reliance on the networks, Skype on most BB (except the present VZ relationship) will not be likely in the near future
    ... UNLESS (unlikely) MS pays BB for the privilege.

There is no real reason for Skype NOT to have a WIFI app for BB devices
    ... Skype has long had such apps for Nokia devices (like the old Nokia 800).
    Last edited by mandony; 06-14-11 at 11:43 AM.
    06-14-11 11:39 AM
    ... UNLESS (unlikely) MS pays BB for the privilege.

There is no real reason for Skype NOT to have a WIFI app for BB devices
    ... Skype has long had such apps for Nokia devices (like the old Nokia 800).
    No reason at all. I think Skype have had applications most other mobile devices except the BB. The network '3' in the UK has actively sold Skype mobile phones for a few years. Specifically emphasising the free skype to skype calls over 3g.

What mobile companies lose in voice revenue they will gain in data. For some people I imagine Skype can actually be a deciding factor on whether or not to get a BB device.
    06-14-11 01:02 PM
    I have Skype on my BlackBerry (VZW exclusive in the US), and I use it a grand total of... well, never. But video chat is a very different beast, and I agree that Microsoft will try to leverage its newly acquired service on as many devices as possible. RIM being buddy-buddy with them may put us near the top of the list, but eventually even your coffee pot may have video conferencing capabilities.
    06-14-11 02:13 PM
    Before we rejoice at Microsoft's acquistion of Skype and figure on ways Skype can spend MS' "Deep Pockets" consider what microsoft did to an up and comming player in the smartphone arena. Here is a link to an article in todays Seattle Times (Newspaper) on how MS killed DANGER (former developer of the sidekick moble platform)... It is a very interesting read.

Business & Technology | Microsoft: a danger for Skype users? | Seattle Times Newspaper
    06-14-11 02:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD