I have avi files of movies and tv shows on my computer...can I just drag n' drop these onto the playbook via usb?

I thought you could drag n' drop files...but I "think" in one of the reviews it said you can't.

I'm assuming/hoping you can drag anything to the playbook.
    04-16-11 10:29 AM
    If my Torch is any indication, you can, but it takes more processing power to transcode the movies in real time than if your computer does it as they're transferred over. You'll probably notice a slight drop in battery life, and possibly a drop in fluidity of the device if you watch lots of movies you've copy+pasted over.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-16-11 10:40 AM
    I read that it doesn't support mass storage mode like current Blackberry phones. But it does have drivers you can install on you Windows or Mac PC to make it act and appear like a drive. So you could just drag and drop files that way.

I'm not sure how Linux users (like myself) will be able to transfer files to it. I highly doubt there will be Linux support.
    04-16-11 11:19 AM
    You can drag and drop media files from your desktop to the PlayBook the same way you’d move files to a USB flash drive. You can also transfer files wirelessly over your local network.
    04-16-11 12:09 PM
    You can drag and drop media files from your desktop to the PlayBook the same way you�d move files to a USB flash drive. You can also transfer files wirelessly over your local network.
    But I thought that the reviews said that the Playbook does not work like a USB Drive when connected to the computer in that you can not simply connect the Playbook to any computer, drag and drop a file, disconnect and go. Instead, you have to use it with Desktop Manager (which i utterly hate using).

Setting it up as a wireless drive works at home for me but it doesn't work at my office environment. I had hoped that i could just plug it into my office computer to transfer files that I need (PDF/Word/PPT) but from what I've read, that doesn't seem possible.
    04-16-11 01:56 PM
    That would be disappointing if you are not able to drag and drop
    04-16-11 02:15 PM
    This may be a deal killer if I can't just plug into my various computers and transfer a file over.
    04-16-11 02:26 PM
    But I thought that the reviews said that the Playbook does not work like a USB Drive when connected to the computer in that you can not simply connect the Playbook to any computer, drag and drop a file, disconnect and go. Instead, you have to use it with Desktop Manager (which i utterly hate using).

Setting it up as a wireless drive works at home for me but it doesn't work at my office environment. I had hoped that i could just plug it into my office computer to transfer files that I need (PDF/Word/PPT) but from what I've read, that doesn't seem possible.
    Can you just use Desktop Manager for these? I currently do not have a BB so perhaps someone can correct me on this. Personally, I'm hoping to use Dropbox, or hoping for a VPN solution to connect to the server at work.
    04-16-11 02:27 PM
    You can certainly drag-and-drop in some way. Via WiFi you can access the PlayBook from your PC as a network share. I believe the USB connection is handled the same way, using an NDIS driver, making it effectively a network share as well. Drag-and-drop as you would in any other such case.
    04-16-11 10:43 PM
    I think drag and drop is possible. I seem to rmb hearing about it. I doubt DM is the only way to transfer files.
    04-16-11 11:47 PM
    I have avi files of movies and tv shows on my computer...can I just drag n' drop these onto the playbook via usb?

I thought you could drag n' drop files...but I "think" in one of the reviews it said you can't.

I'm assuming/hoping you can drag anything to the playbook.
    More BlackBerry PlayBook Features Confirmed – GPS Mass Storage Mode and More - BerryReview

Mass Storage Mode ("Drag n' Drop) will be supported.
    04-16-11 11:54 PM
    How hard would it be to make a Wake on LAN app? I have a windows home server which sleeps when not in use. If I had a way of sending a Wake on LAN (WOL) command then I could wake it up and stream content to the Playbook via a shared directory on the server (at least I'm hoping to at some point)
    04-17-11 12:11 AM
    Careful with that one. It's from March 2, so not that credible if not more recent source confirms it. Also in the same article he refers to the "6 way magnetometer", which is bunk...

I say it's still unconfirmed, based on posts in this thread so far.
    04-17-11 12:12 AM
    Even RIM has said in very recent videos that you can plug the playbook in and it'll show up as a drive if I'm not mistaken.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-17-11 12:15 AM
    Okay, now that the Playbook is in your offices and homes....

Can you just drop and drag files to it as any other usb drive? I've looked over the rather skimpy pdf manual and don't see anything about it. And I've used DM in the past with my BB to move/copy media files and boy was it lame.
    04-19-11 07:01 PM
    Yeah, especially since DM isn't supported yet for MAC...

I have to have a way to put my movies on this thing
    04-19-11 07:16 PM
    16 movies on this badboy and counting! Drag n drop baby
    04-19-11 07:47 PM
    Yes drag n' dropped all my music and some movies...no problems.
    04-19-11 07:50 PM
    I've been dragging and dropping files, pictures, and music over for the last couple hours. No problems so far and I'm not required to use DM.

Haven't tried a movie yet though I don't see why it wouldn't work.
    04-19-11 07:50 PM
    ive tried draggin files from pc to PB. itt works but they show up in "brigded files" so u cant veiew unless u are bridged..... anyone got the to save anywhere eles?
    04-21-11 02:06 PM
    Yes, you can use it as a USB Mass Storage drive. However:

1. This feature isn't enabled by default
      You must manually enable Mass Storage mode in order to be able to do this. Go in Options > Storage & Sharing > File Sharing > On.
    2. You cannot create directories in the root of the filesystem
    04-21-11 02:15 PM
    so when u transfer files from pc to PB can u pick where they go... seems to only go into "bridged files" folder
    04-21-11 02:17 PM
    16 movies on this badboy and counting! Drag n drop baby
    What transfer rate are you getting? I get only about 1 MB/s over my N network.
    04-22-11 08:48 PM
    What transfer rate are you getting? I get only about 1 MB/s over my N network.
    I get 5MB/s (if I remember right). But I use USB mainly, because the WiFi file transfer, while convenient, was too slow.
    04-22-11 09:08 PM
    i was getting about 4 mb/s, fast transfer of movies, drag and drop.
    04-22-11 09:13 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD