First post but lurking for the last few months... Got the Playbook on release date and returned the first two due to problems. Other than the initial first week issues, I've been very happy with the PB and I don't leave home without it. Had my first issue with #3 today and I called tech support. I was walked through the fix and at the end I asked if he knew anything about any updates in the next few days. I was told that the next OS update was supposed to have native e-mail and he mentioned the next few hours. Ya, I know that its probably crap information but I've been appreciative of the posts on this site since I got the device so I thought I would share. I don't know the inner workings of tech support but the guy sounded like he was from Alabama. At the very least, I can say that the tech support was a positive experience. Don't hate the messenger, just thought I would share.
    06-14-11 10:38 PM
    What kind of issue were you having with your PB?
    06-14-11 10:43 PM
    welcome to Crackberry, I hope this is accurate info, not for me as far as native email because bridge works great but for everyone who owns a PB & dont have a BB phone this would be great news
    06-14-11 10:52 PM
    First Issue: PB would not connect to DM, RIM could not help
    Second Issue: PB battery was lasting 2 hours on a full charge
    Today Issue: Bridge would not connect, tried a restart, PB went dark. Hard Reset fixed the issue. Figured I would call RIM before trying too much in case there was something more serious.

XRW60
    06-14-11 10:52 PM
    now you got me hitting the check for update button every 5 seconds
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    06-14-11 10:53 PM
    welcome to Crackberry, I hope this is accurate info, not for me as far as native email because bridge works great but for everyone who owns a PB & dont have a BB phone this would be great news
    Thank you and I agree, Bridge works great for me with the Torch.

Xrw60
    06-14-11 10:54 PM
    what is native email? and why cant these people log in to the actual email site for their email? what is the big deal again?
    06-14-11 10:55 PM
    what is native email? and why cant these people log in to the actual email site for their email? what is the big deal again?
    Try logging into Crackberry site on the playbook... we hates logging into sites on the playbooks....gollum cough gollum...

it's all about the push preciouss
    06-14-11 10:59 PM
    I think the big deal is that for certain things a well made app is much better than logging onto a website
    06-14-11 11:07 PM
    It is funny to read posts questioning the neccessity of native email on this web site dedicated to blackberry. Isnt rim the compny that pioneered email on mobile?

Now it isnt needed?
    06-14-11 11:09 PM
    meh.

With PB I have no qualms about using actual full content web sites though it is true that some sites aren't set up well for touch based UIs.
    06-14-11 11:13 PM
    It is funny to read posts questioning the neccessity of native email on this web site dedicated to blackberry. Isnt rim the compny that pioneered email on mobile?

Now it isnt needed?
    RIM created a device that can access the full internet and everything it offers. Some outfits still can't offer the wider web to its inmates. Funny, eh?
    Dapper37, gordongr, narci and 2 others like this.
    06-14-11 11:18 PM
    Thanks, ROTFLOL. I agree!
    06-14-11 11:19 PM
    @avaio

You asked a perfectly sensible question and there is no easy answer. RIM has offered a simple and elegant email solution for the Playbook for existing Blackberry users. The native email issue is hotly debated here. Check this page for some background on the issue:

How Will BlackBerry PlayBook Native Email & PIM Work? - BerryReview

For some of us, the bridge is the only way to go.
    Last edited by BlackStormRising; 06-14-11 at 11:22 PM. Reason: got the wrong name!
    06-14-11 11:20 PM
    I have mixed feelings about Native email. BB Bridge works great with my Torch but I have had connectivity issues once or twice. Otherwise it has been good.
    06-15-11 12:41 AM
    I have mixed feelings about Native email. BB Bridge works great with my Torch but I have had connectivity issues once or twice. Otherwise it has been good.
    Yes the last couple of updates have really made a WORLD of difference for the bridge, web browser, and the overall UI.
    06-15-11 12:46 AM
    I can see why non bb users would need native email but when native email arrives unless it sets up automatically from my phone settings without asking me then I will not bother to use it. Bridge email is as functional as I require and seriously... I'm more likely to be without my PB than I am without the phone.

I do want more updates though. I am enjoying seeing the device improve. There will be one soon. It's now onsale in the UK in a few select stores. Full launch tomorrow.
    06-15-11 02:17 AM
    Even though Gmail's mobile and desktop web experience is great, push notifications are not there. I've been so used to push notifications I haven't used my gmail on a browser for 3 years. Bridge works fine, it just needs a speed boost. But there's another problem with bridge, phone battery dies, playbook because half useless, the other day my phone battery died and I needed to make a call, I thought I'd use my friends phone to call but I remembered I can't access my phonebook anymore, not from my phone nor playbook, thank god I could pull out my 15inch laptop and open the Mac Address Book.

So local native apps will definitely help, I won't need my BB phone to read or even offline reply to an email or something like that.
    06-15-11 02:53 AM
    First post but lurking for the last few months... Got the Playbook on release date and returned the first two due to problems. Other than the initial first week issues, I've been very happy with the PB and I don't leave home without it. Had my first issue with #3 today and I called tech support. I was walked through the fix and at the end I asked if he knew anything about any updates in the next few days. I was told that the next OS update was supposed to have native e-mail and he mentioned the next few hours. Ya, I know that its probably crap information but I've been appreciative of the posts on this site since I got the device so I thought I would share. I don't know the inner workings of tech support but the guy sounded like he was from Alabama. At the very least, I can say that the tech support was a positive experience. Don't hate the messenger, just thought I would share.
    Hope you didn't make it all up. First thing the bad guy says when caught is "don't shoot".

This doesn't make any sense since RIM is allowing selected Devs to try 1.0.6 and they have a week to evaluate it. Why would they release an OS update prior to this evaluation being completed?

For those not seeing the need for native email they need to pull their head
    up and see other people and their needs.

I stated long before the PB was released that not having NE (native email) would hurt PB sales. It did just that.

Some private email servers do not have a web based portal thus the need for the email client. Couple this with the declining number of BB phone users it makes the need for said NE even more important.

Tim
    06-15-11 07:41 AM
    I could see the Native e-mail being release before the call tomorrow, or announced on the call that it will be available for download right after the call or tomorrow night. Handset news will be disappointing, and NE has been a big gripe among "tech blogs" and "tech reviewers" and "tech analysts" (have to quote them because I don't think any of those groups generally have any real tech background). Adding or announcing a date would at least get that artificial monkey off the Playbook's back.
    menaknow likes this.
    06-15-11 07:51 AM
    Kevin says he normally gets a heads up before an update is released and he also said he thinks there is no chance for the native apps before the 60 days or this month really. I doubt there is another update until 2 weeks from now or about a week after the "beta" closes
    06-15-11 07:56 AM
    No way an update is coming today. The PB needs a REALLLY big upgrade on the messaging system. Needs to handle SMS, MMS, email, etc. in one integrated messaging system. I also find the Bridge lagging at times and you can't attach videos to email. WTF?

RIM better step it up or they are going to continue to get crucified by the press for inability to keep pace with their peers.
    06-15-11 08:21 AM
    it's all about the push preciouss
    I just got in from work, figured I'd hit up the forums for a bit before bedtime....

and this made my day.

Of course, being somewhat overtired my brain took straight to the gutter.
    06-15-11 08:33 AM
    No way an update is coming today. The PB needs a REALLLY big upgrade on the messaging system. Needs to handle SMS, MMS, email, etc. in one integrated messaging system. I also find the Bridge lagging at times and you can't attach videos to email. WTF?

RIM better step it up or they are going to continue to get crucified by the press for inability to keep pace with their peers.
    SMS and MMS? Really? I think you may be asking for too much here. The only thing missing is the ability to make phone calls.
    06-15-11 08:35 AM

2 updates in 2 weeks that brought good bug fixes and improvements, and you still moan? Developers can only develop so fast, and don't forget they then have to test it, privately or beta for specific people. Give RIM a break, they're working fast. At least you can use email at the moment, I want native email, but what's the rush? Just chill, enjoy being on board one of the most frequently updated device out there, and have fun when new updates come.
    06-15-11 08:38 AM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD