This approach has been mentioned before but until now I don't think anyone has pointed to a free way to do this. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

1. Make sure in the General settings that Application Behavior is set to Showcase.

2. Once you set up the PlayBook browser to stream the audio you want (e.g. Drone Zone on SomaFM: Served best chilled, safe with most medications. Atmospheric textures with minimal beats. - Commercial-free Ambient Radio from San Francisco) then run the SilentNoise app. Download/update it if you don't have it. That app got a bug fix release today (5th May 2011) which correctly calls the PlayBook's API to prevent standby from kicking in. You do not need to get SilentNoise making sounds. Just the fact you have maximized it will cause the PlayBook to turn off standby.

3. You can go one step further and gesture up from the bottom bezel to see all your running apps, including the browser, but you cannot maximize the browser because it will set the standby back to the default.

4. If you do maximize your browser then just remember to re-maximize SilentNoise afterwards.

By the way, I'm not associated with the writers of SilentNoise. It is just the only free app I know of currently that does the right thing with the standby API. Clock app writers take note!

I bet there will be a setting fix in the OS at some point for turning off standby.

PB Bob
    Last edited by PB Bob; 05-05-11 at 12:33 PM.
    yzf.shaun and MisterMe11 like this.
    05-05-11 12:25 PM
    Downloading it just to have it - in case it is needed.
    05-05-11 02:28 PM
    Well, that works. Now, someone has to come up with a solution to do the same when using certain video apps...............
    05-05-11 03:00 PM
    Well if it is a Flash-based app that is allowing the PlayBook's standby to kick in then that is a bug in the app. All Flash apps have the ability to tell the operating system to not go to standby. My understanding is this is the line of code they need:

NativeApplication.nativeApplication.systemIdleMode = SystemIdleMode.KEEP_AWAKE;

From here: Keep screen / backlight on? - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    and here: Adobe*Flash*Platform * ActionScript APIs specific to mobile AIR applications

As for video delivered by the browser, that looks like a fix or setting is needed from RIM themselves.

PB Bob
    Intosh likes this.
    05-05-11 07:39 PM
    I'm having trouble with a coverlive chat, where the standby knocks me out of the chat and I have to literally have to log back in in order to get the chat to work again.
    05-12-11 10:02 AM
    Maybe in the next upgrade?
    05-12-11 04:33 PM
    wow thanks and just think its a glitch that the dev of silentnoise is trying to fix. but its being used as a beneficial glitch :P.
    05-12-11 04:53 PM
    "Black Screen" app will prevent PB going in standby while saving power showing a full black screen.
    04-20-13 11:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD