I've seen people requesting and excellent theme builders answering the call. I have not yet seen a theme that fits my needs...which are quite simple. Perhaps something like this...

Keep everything the same as stock, I don't mind it at all.

Instead of All/Favorites/Frequent/Media/Downloads...how about just 3 pages. The main page is the first 16 icons. Then a page on the left, that you can swipe to the right to access, that shows a TODAY screen...a full page of calendar entries. Some people might like a messages list here too but calendar only would be good for me. Then if you swipe to the left to access a page to the right, it's another set of 16 icons.

The second part is more iPhone like - even though I'm not a fan of the iPhone at all - I would like to just swipe and get more icons instead of having to go up and down. Also you could get rid of the All/Favorites/Frequent/Media/Downloads bar which would give room for a full 4 rows of icons whereas the 4th row is cut off partially in the stock theme.

I don't know how difficult this would be...but it would sure be functional, efficient, and pretty much how I think RIM should have done it in the first place.

If any theme builder steps up to the challenge and does it right I'll be glad to donate a few dollars and hopefully others would be willing to do the same.

Thanks!

EDIT: (from below)
    Also, I want to be clear on what I'm requesting and add a few things.

1) No tabs on homescreen - instead, 4 full rows of icons.
    2) Two other screens that can be reached by swiping: one to the left that shows a full page of calendar appointments and one to the right that shows another 4 rows of icons.
    3) Split the top bar into 1/3rds with the battery side going to options. The middle for clock going to the clock app. The right with connection signals/signal strength going to the connections page.
    4) Everything else stock OS.
    Last edited by jeffreii; 10-26-10 at 06:48 AM.
    10-24-10 02:05 PM
    That sounds like a pretty good idea... I'm in for a donation if it turns out well

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-24-10 03:21 PM
    I'm wondering if theme builders even have the option of eliminating any/all of the home screen tabs. Everything I've seen and tried is either the full OS 6 UI or something more closely resembling OS 5, which is a single home screen 'tab' but loses a lot of the touch screen functionality of OS 6.

Example: the closest thing I've found to what I'm looking for is the Torch Blue with Hidden Today and Weather Slot. I love the weather slot and the fact that you can toggle the Today view on and off. But you can't go from 'dock' view to full home screen (i.e. the two views below) via the touch screen -- you have use the BB and Back keys to go from one to the other, which essentially is OS 5. Seems stupid, but it's just one of the many things I've been spoiled with in OS 6. I'd be willing to pay (again) for something like this that just provides the simple ability to tap the screen to go between dock and full screen. There are a few other gaps, too, which on their own aren't huge gaps, but enough to have made me go back to the stock theme.

<-->

So, question for all you builders out there: is what we're asking for even possible with the current theme-builder tools available? Is it possible to reduce the Home screen tabs to 3 or 1 and still keep ALL the other home screen functionality in BB 6?
    10-24-10 07:22 PM
    The closest thing I've seen - and perhaps what gave me the idea - is this theme:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f220/pr...prince-539728/

As you can see he's made it so you can swipe between screens. The problem for me is that for some reason one swipe takes you to just the wallpaper...I don't see any use for that. I'd rather the swipe just take you to more icons as on the iPhone.

For the other direction of the swipe I'd like to get to a TODAY screen with calendar...and I think another variation of the same thing would also be popular - calendar and messages. I remember on many basic popular OS 4/5 themes there were different variations for whether to show calendar, calendar + messages, messages only etc...I used an L theme that had only calendar.
    10-24-10 08:12 PM
    I'd rather the swipe just take you to more icons as on the iPhone.

For the other direction of the swipe I'd like to get to a TODAY screen with calendar...and I think another variation of the same thing would also be popular - calendar and messages. I remember on many basic popular OS 4/5 themes there were different variations for whether to show calendar, calendar + messages, messages only etc...I used an L theme that had only calendar.
    The more I think about that, the more I like it. A swipe to the left revealing a Today view would be pretty slick. Toss in a 'weather slot' for the 4-icon dock or when the home screen is completely hidden, and I'd buy that for a dollar. I tend to think that kind of functionality would have to be baked into the OS, but who knows. Maybe I'll have to download the theme builder and find out for myself!
    10-24-10 11:02 PM
    I seem to remember that when the themer's go from the stock UI to a custom UI they lose a lot of functionality of the stock OS, like the notification bar and universal search icon. Not even sure if what your asking for can be done because without the "tabs" its not the stock UI anymore. Although if it was possible i would certainly buy it also. Perhaps if we get a someone to commit to it we could get a pool going to "donate" to this themer for development?
    10-25-10 06:26 AM
    To be clear, I'm not requesting a true notification bar...at least one that I could click on to reveal the notifications screen. Sure I'd need an area to display notifications - ideally in the same spot it is now - but I don't need to be able to click on it. The only reason I ever did that was to view the calendar entries.

I never click the universal search icon either - I just start typing on the keyboard. We would need a profiles icon though - which could easily be built into the time/date/battery/signal bar etc.
    10-25-10 06:39 AM
    I see on this theme that the tabs have been removed but universal search/profiles icon/notification bar remain:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f220/fr...o-tabs-542258/

Also, I want to be clear on what I'm requesting and add a few things.

1) No tabs on homescreen - instead, 4 full rows of icons.
    2) Two other screens that can be reached by swiping: one to the left that shows a full page of calendar appointments and one to the right that shows another 4 rows of icons.
    3) Split the top bar into 1/3rds with the battery side going to options. The middle for clock going to the clock app. The right with connection signals/signal strength going to the connections page.
    4) Everything else stock OS.

Seems easy enough - the way RIM should have done it - and a lot more efficient! I really hope a theme maker can step up to make this so I don't have to teach myself how to use the Theme Builder lol.

Updating my first post with this info.

Thanks in advance!
    10-26-10 06:47 AM
    Cut 'n pasted from another thread:
    D Mac you do a great job with your themes - they're just not what I need yet. I was hoping you would take a look at this thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f220/re...-icons-542448/

And let me know if it's possible or not - it seems like a simple/quick job to me. I'd definitely be willing to donate some funds for your time. Please let me know if it's a feasible theme or not.

Thanks!
    What you are describing is definitely not simple or quick...

I actually began making a very similar theme to what you are describing and ran into a few issues, the biggest being laggyness.

You are talking about a theme with 19 applications on the main screen, 4 on the second (3 shared with the first page) and 19 more on the third (again 3 shared with the first 2). Discounting the shared apps thats 36 applications, plus all the coding to get the pages/transitions (hiding main 16 icons, displaying next 16, etc) to work. So I had it working (I had 24 apps on the main screen and 3 on the second) but when scrolling around there was a small but annoying lag for the cursor to move around.

One easy fix for this was to make the theme touch only and to disable the trackpad. This worked, but then you lose a lot of the functionality of the theme.

I will soon be revisiting what I was working on (which again, is pretty close to what you want), but (at least until Composer6 and Theme Builder6 come out of beta) I don't think you are going to get a theme with 3 pages and 36 icons.

8 icons per page, is probably very doable, but 19 probably not...
    10-27-10 03:29 AM
    Thanks for the response D Mac - that's pretty disappointing that something so simple from the user end is so difficult on the builder end...

I don't understand why the lag when I already have 30-40 apps on the "All" screen.

I wonder if the 19 apps I'm suggesting compared to the 24 you had would make any difference in that?

Also I'm not sure I EVER use the trackpad on the homescreen...

Interesting - I am still hoping for someone to make something like this...it would really bring the Torch to the next level, in my opinion. Thank you for your input.
    10-27-10 07:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD